UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Hall of Records

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Empoleon FB Mod Nominations: Q&A with Community

FB Moderator Election

**This thread is open to questions and suggestions from the community.**

The deadline for Q&A is
Saturday, 4 November 23:59 GMT

For those of you who may have missed it, our dear moderator Marion Ette has announced last August that she will be stepping down from her position by the end of the year. Because of this, a huge void is going to be left in the moderating team that ultimately needs to be filled with some pretty big shoes. We’d preferably have a new moderator on the team before Marion officially steps down from her position so that this person can be properly worked in. We’ve had applications open for two months now and are confident we can move forward with the nominations we have so far.

Outline:
1) Applicants will each answer the questionnaire on their own before the deadline.
2) Once all the submissions are in, the thread will be open for Q/A with the community.
3) Once the discussion has reached a satisfying point, the current mods will select their choice from the candidates and present this to the community.
4) The community will have a last chance to discuss the selected applicant and vote “Yes”/”No”.
5) Should a "No" occur, we will return to Q/A with the community and continue from there.

-----

Nominees:
OkikuMew
Sandaa
Sneaze

-----

Questionnaire:
1) What do you think you can add to the existing moderating team?
2) As a moderator, how do you intend to address the ideas and concerns of the community?
3) As a moderator, how will you deal with impartiality in discussion with fellow moderators and with the community?
4) What is your future plan for FB with regards to how it is now?
5) What is your strategy for dealing with community conflict and "problem members"?
6) Please let us know of any prior moderator/leadership experience (including things such as being a shop owner, updater, ZA, etc.) or roles that you think will contribute to your ability to be a moderator of FB (does not necessarily need to be UPN/FB related but this helps). (Optional)

Answers: [OkikuMew] [Sandaa] [Sneaze]

-----

Q&A
What is your biggest fault, and how do you anticipate addressing it in your service as FB moderator?
[OkikuMew] [Sandaa] [Sneaze]

Describe your ideal meal.

Let's pretend that the community is split on something, I'll go with an example that likely will not happen:
The Move Tutor. Half of the community thinks that you should bring back shards and purchase moves with that instead of cash because it gives the chance to RP the Pokemon earning the move, but the other half hates the idea of having to collect needless collectables to teach their Pokemon a new move. How would you handle this hypothetical situation?

Since the plan is to expand FB into BMG, what would you say is most important in making that happen and making the BMG branch thrive?

If you do get elected as a mod, what would you prioritize? For example, the expansion to BMG, the legendary discussion, TMs, something else?

You're stranded on a island in the middle of nowhere. You can have 3 items, what do you choose?

I'd like to hear your respective stances on the leniency of rewarding players. What I mean by this is, what is your opinion on giveaways, their frequency compared to roleplay events (basically, the balance between effortless prizes and RPs which, fun as they are, take a lot of time to conclude and some never do), and how generous mods should be when handing out freebies outside of an RP context (since I believe just about everything should be available in zones with a matching amount of effort).

This game thrives on the updater-updatee dynamic. What would you do in case of a shortage of updaters to accommodate an influx of active players? And what about a scenario where you have unoccupied updaters because players stop replying? Do you think either situation merits mod intervention, or not so much?

What is your current stance on the "numbers" side of FB - i.e., the PokeDollars system, tallying of Bonds, Rare Candy count, etc? Are you okay with how these numerical management aspects are currently implemented, or would you prefer a different scenario?

Last edited by Ex-Admiral Insane; 10-30-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Hi everyone, as most of you know my name is Gary and I would hope that you consider my nomination to become a FB mod! My reason for being here is simple. I love Pokemon, and I love FB. While I am sad to see someone like Marion step down from her position because real life got in the way of her activity, every fiber of my being just wants to step up and do the best I can to do whatever is asked of me to help keep FB running. FB is very near and dear to my heart, so if I have the ability to contribute in some way, I would like to do what I can to help. If you have any further questions to ask of me, feel free to ask!

I think I can add a number of things, but I would say most importantly my passion, my creativity, and my overall presence. Having joined back in 2004, I have many years of experience in FB under my belt and I’ve seen the highs and the lows. The very reason why I came back when Tess left was because I missed the community and it has always had a special place in my heart. As for creativity, I feel like coming up with fresh, new ideas is exciting to me as I like to keep people constantly involved and interested in the game. And finally, for presence, for those of you on discord I think it’s safe to acknowledge that I am online every single day engaging with the community.

2) As a moderator, how do you intend to address the ideas and concerns of the community?
As I just stated, I am very active on discord, so I’m a big fan of maintaining an open line of communication. While I feel like democracy is important, I also think that issues of concern in regards to the future of FB aren’t always black or white, and that it’s very important that people work towards a compromise. At the end of the day, not everyone may be happy, but if we could at least come to an agreement where both sides make concessions and people’s voices aren’t being left out, I don’t mind making being the bridge that joins the differing opinions.

3) As a moderator, how will you deal with impartiality in discussion with fellow moderators and with the community?
I’m going to throw it out there: I’m 27 years old. I’m not as young as I used to be when I first joined FB. What I’m trying to say is that where I may have been rash and opinionated in the past, I’m simply not wired that way anymore. I’m a pretty rational guy who likes to analyze things and take the most logical approach, even if I don’t agree with the decision personally. If my personal opinion differs from the vast majority of what people want, obviously what keeps more people happy is what’s most important.

What I feel like FB needs most right now is stability. It might not be the most exciting thing, but we are definitely on the right track. I think building up a proper member base with slow and steady expansion (like our possible plans with BMG) and not overextending our reach too far would be the most beneficial thing to FB. Basically our biggest commodity for the overall health of the RPG is having active updaters, so if we are able to tap into unused communities and reach out and add friendly people who have an interest in creative writing, we’ll be able to expand and grow our own roleplaying opportunities with more zones, contests, battle frontier, etc.

5) What is your strategy for dealing with community conflict and "problem members"?
I think one of FB’s greatest strengths is the overall level of respect in the community. Not everyone may get along, and we most certainly have our arguments from time to time, but at the end of the day for the most part we all recognize that we’re playing the same game and we all have a common goal to keep the success of that game afloat. I think most can agree that even if you vehemently disagree with someone a lot of the time, both individuals would like to see FB active and prosperous. That being said, if there are times where people are simply caught up in the heat of the moment, I don’t mind being the intervening force that tells people to knock it off and remind them of the things we have in common. Obviously if someone becomes a repeat instigator, as a mod I would probably discuss with them personally what is going on from an outside perspective.

6) Please let us know of any prior moderator/leadership experience (including things such as being a shop owner, updater, ZA, etc.) or roles that you think will contribute to your ability to be a moderator of FB (does not necessarily need to be UPN/FB related but this helps). (Optional)
This part of my resume can get a little extensive, so please bear with me as I toot my horn a little. I have extensive experience in many different fields both in FB and in real life, so I’ll just list various things I have been a part of:
• I have been an updater in FB since around 2006, so I know what it takes to manage writing for multiple people on a regular basis.
• I have experience as the head of the Cool Contest Hall many years ago and more recently ZA for the Cloud Garden. I have a vision for how I would like to grow and build things under my management over a planned timeline.
• I have experience and willingness to step in and help out shops whenever it is needed. I have been assisting the Candy Store with Bond confirmations for several weeks now, and I have even assisted in the Move Tutor shop and Daycare when their SOs asked me to.
• I won’t get too personal with my real life experience, but in my real life job, I have been a manager for the last 2 and a half years, where I have ample experience setting schedules and supervising employees on a regular basis.

The final note that I would like to address is for those of you who wonder if I’m taking on too much of a workload in FB. The Cloud Garden is very important to me. I’ve been an updater there for many many years before I ever became the ZA, so I would have not applied for this position if I did not think I could handle balancing the workload. I would sooner step down from being ZA of the CG than let it fall into ruin, and I honestly couldn’t bear to do that. Additionally, the way my hours at my real life job are set up allows me to have extensive free time between shifts, so I have had a lot of practice at managing when I’m able to contribute to FB stuff. (As I’m typing this, I’m coming off a 10 hour shift at work and yet here I am anyway lol) So once again, thank you for considering my nomination and feel free to ask me anything!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Hello there! The time has finally come to get this show on the road! My name's OkikuMew (you can just call me Okiku, Mew or OM if you want!), and I would like to present to you my candidature for the position of moderator of Fizzy Bubbles!

First off, I would like to thank all of you to give the opportunity for us to step up and be nominated for such an important position. You guys have no idea how much this process (well, the implementation of it) means to me. The openness to let all members thrive at their own pace to balance Fizzy Bubbles and real life, and the ability of the community to choose the moderators we want... I'm very proud for what Fizzy Bubbles has become now

The reason why I want to try my luck and become moderator is I want to give back to the FB community in a way I couldn't give back; to do so, I want to give a caring ear for everyone to speak to, a fair mind to think about everyone's feelings and opinions equally, and to give back with the meaning of what Fizzy Bubbles is. In other words, I feel like Fizzy Bubbles needs a little bit of love and care, after going through such difficulty with both the changes... and what is staying the same. That said, I would be lying to say that I'm not nervous about it all, or that I am the perfect moderator. It is a pretty big endeavor it take on after all. I know I have my weaknesses, including my limited free time, the difficulty of settling on decisions, and being "too nice" and having a hard time to put my foot down at times. All that said though, I feel that my strengths would help out FB on the long run. I may not have a lot of time, but I want to give it to be someone who folks can trust and be honest, while being fair with everyone. I want to help out establish what the core idea of what FB should be, and help shape that along with the whole community. I would give it my all, and I know that the people of Fizzy Bubbles will help along with me.

Now, it is time for me to put my foot down and take chances, make mistakes and get messy! I'll simply dive in and go to answering the questions!

I would like to give both of my planning/management skills and my listening/emphatic nature to the community of Fizzy Bubbles. For all of the time I have been here, I've learned that it constantly needs a caring ear to everyone and planification/management, which I am more than willing to provide. I'll be doing my bestest to be a glue that will make all us stick together as a team to tackle with whatever adventures (RP or real) will come our way!

Honesty and open-mindness are the big words on this question. Time and time again it has been proven that hiding every plan and shut down ideas almost immediately isn't the way to go to keep most people happy and make a community thrive. (Who knew?) Any idea or concern should be talked in the open, so not only everyone is in the know of it, but we can work together to make the right and fair decision, whenever through debating or voting. And what would be the "right and fair decision" you ask? Well that we'll discuss on the next question!

Of course, that's just in general; If there's an issue that is more personal for a fellow FBer (say, bullying, real life getting in the way of FB, etc.), then that's best to take care of it privately as much as possible, or at least let others know in an anonymous way. (I guess I'll elaborate more on that on the "problem members" question!)

It's hard to explain the way I work, but I guess the simplest I can get is I just listen what everyone has to say, and I try to figure out a solution that could work for everyone, or at least balances out what everyone wants. Admittedly, the downside is that it doesn't make everyone perfectly happy, and those solutions will likely change rapidly as other comments/opinions are brought up. Those "rapid" changes though are in a way welcome, because it is that way we can find the best fit at the end. Of course, depending on the situation, it doesn't work, whenever people seems to be split evenly or the opinions are just all over the place. At that point, pinpointing the main solutions and vote on it is the way to go.

As for my main opinion into the mix? That depends how big the discussion is. If it's only between a few people (say, between mods), I'll share my opinion as quickly as possible, while still keeping an open mind for others. When it's within a bigger group which I look over (ex.: community discussion), I don't state my opinion straight away, but still keep the discussion going by asking for details, point out things, etc. until I feel it comes to the point I should share my personal thoughts and discuss it further. Either way, I acknowledge my judgement isn't the same as everyone else's, and in the end, the majority's word is what's important, whenever it is the same as mine or not.

Well, there's a few things I believe that needs to be worked on, and here's is the general objectives of them:
  • Stabilisation: That's pretty much a given. To be fair, FB is still not quite broke into their "new era shoes", and that's ok! But we do need to start settling down and make sure everything is set up for the long run. expanding to BMGf is a good start, but we do need to make sure everything is set in and good for runnin'! We do need more members, but we also do need to show them that everything is done and under control (a few would definitely feel turned down on that).
  • Happiness Maintenance: I'm sorry that's the best title I could come up with Ok, I know it sounds really cliché and goodie-two-shoes, but it is still something we need to remember. I mean, Fizzy Bubbles is made to have fun and be creative together, and it is what makes people talk about it and join it in the first place, so we have to make sure it is kept in check. (Yes, I know we're already doing that, but we got to make sure that we keep doing it.)
  • FB Core Philosophy: That is something that has been tried to give some attention to and has been replied to by a few, but didn't get that much tract and response. Part of it is probably everyone at that point was a bit overloaded with debating and didn't feel getting into that, but personally and honestly, I haven't joined into the discussion as I was confused at the purpose of that. But I some point, it just clicked: We need to know what Fizzy Bubbles is at its very core to make sure our decisions follow its philosophy. Sure, we know what it is in terms of rules. We know how it works. But we all have different views of what FB is: Creativity vs. faithfulness to the franchise canon. Games vs. spin-offs vs. anime vs. other media. We need to decide together in a way to put together all those views and finally decide what should FB be for us. A "10 commandments" or "amendments" of sorts, you could say. The reason why it needs to be done is instead of being a little all over the place, we'll be more unified and stronger; build a secure, stable foundation under us so we can build our community and RP to new heights. I even dare say that stating exactly what we are and what are our stances will raise awareness of our "little" thing and bring more people, knowing more of what we are! And the timing of this wouldn't be better with the upcoming expansion to BMGf. So all that said, it is something that we'll need to get into it deeper soon.

Well it all depends on the definition of "conflict", really.

In terms of conflict, if it's a big, heated argument on how things should be done, new rules/implementations, etc., then that's fine! Sure, things gets pretty heated up as some are quite passionate about some subjects, but one thing's for sure: it is, in a way, a good thing since it shows how people loves FB to the point of arguing to know what's good for it, and debating helps knowing the pros and cons of things, and also helps others to decide on what their own thoughts are.

That said, I find it can get a little overboard, whenever either it's going away from the subject or, worse, ends up insulting at least one party. In the former case, some order will be needed, redirecting the argument back to the original subject or, if not possible, ask to take that new, unrelated debate into a proper thread (or into PMs/VMs). If it's the latter problem though...

I personally use a "3 strikes you're out" system, a bit inspired how things work at my job, but tweaked for forum purposes. First off, obvious thing is obvious, is to swiftly step in to say to cut things out as soon as the problem arises/is seen, as we don't want the whole thing to evolve into a worse situation. Next, evaluate what happened to see who was involved and how. Then, contact those involved appropriately, that is check on everyone if everything is ok, give a stern warning on those responsible to the problem (aka Strike #1) and perhaps, if needed, ask for an apology from them to those involved. Afterwards, it all depends if those who received warnings does the same (well, similar) problem again: it'll be a repeat everything above, except that the warning will include some serious talk and work with the person on how to possibly prevent the issue to happen a 3rd time. And if it does happen a 3rd time, somehow... well time to build up a case of sorts against the troublemaker to make sure and prove that it is a repeated offender despite the warnings, and when it's the case, it will be time to take the appropriate disciplinary actions. (Of course, if the problem is way to huge to ignore and go through that little system, steps/"strikes" can be skipped and actions can be taken immediately.)

FB Experience:
  • Shop Owner of Boutique
  • Shop Owner of Calendar (and creator of Calendar 2.0)
Other Mod/Leadership Experience:
  • Forum RPer since 2004:
    • Created and managed 2 RPs (RIP Nintendo NSider)
    • Updator in Wild Future (inactive)
  • Moderator for:
    • College project forum (2008 )
    • Nintendo fanbase forum (2006-2009)
  • QA (video game/app testing) team lead since 2011 (QA tester since 2008 )

Other things to say:

You're probably wondering things on a more personal-ish level, as in, how will I handle things time-wise if I would become mod, especially since I have mentioned earlier that one of my weaknesses is not having a lot of time (a full-time job that needs 1-2 hours of travel there per day kinda does that!) and I already am managing the Calendar and the Boutique. Well these two shops (if you call the Calendar a shop) are low maintenance and in all honestly consider them as my "FB babies" (hey, I've worked a lot on those!), so I kinda do want to continue maintaining them... but to give myself more time to concentrate on mod business, if I get elected, I'll be looking for a fellow co-owner for the Boutique. As for the Calendar, well technically any updator or shop owner can update it anyways... but I'll make sure someone does check and confirm birthdays regularly alongside me! Other than that, there's not much I can do realistically, but I'll do everything I can to work things out, including organise things with my fellow mods and actually reserve time for Fizzy Bubbles every day so I can get some things done little by little, and offer as much as I can time to pop up and be present.

Anyhow, if anyone have more questions or wants more details, go ahead and ask; I'm all ears! And again, thank you for taking in consideration my candidature. *bows*
Old 10-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

It is time for the next phase of the Mod Elections. We'll be proceeding onto the Q/A with the community. In this phase, the community is allowed to give their input on the matter of the elections, either by advocating a specific nominee or by asking questions to one or more of the candidates. We want to stress that this is the moment for the community to let their voice be heard on the matter as everything that's said will be taken into account when we make our decision for the next moderator. Of the nominees we want to ask to please stay on topic and refrain from self-promotion that is not directly related to a community question. In addition, please keep criticisms of other candidates constructive and avoid slander.

And with this, we open the floor to the community for debate.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
For all nominees (including Sniz if he ever posts a questionnaire smh).

What is your biggest fault, and how do you anticipate addressing it in your service as FB moderator?

Old 10-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post

This is probably a cliche answer, but sometimes I think I try to do too much. I think it comes from my irl job background where I'm often relied on to do a lot of things by myself behind the scenes, but I think working with other mods as my equals would help me slow myself down and not try to rush into things by myself.
Quote:
A nice juicy steak (medium rare) with a side of fettuccine alfredo and a side of fries. Now I'm hungry lol.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Sneaze
Mrow?

So the past couple weeks have been... weird for me, to say the least. Between sickness and changing jobs it's been one of the most chaotic times I've had in a fair number of years. But it's given me a lot of time to reflect on things, including what answers I did have in mind or already written up here. I had a lot of answers that were very similar to those of Okiku and Gary, some even near word for word at parts. And while it's not at all a bad thing to think similarly - we're all striving towards the same goal for FB after all - I've put a fair bit of thought into what makes me different, in my eyes, and will reflect that accordingly in my answers here.

I'm passionate, I'm creative, and I'm altogether willing to listen to the ideas of others, but I suppose the most defining trait I have to lend is my ability to weather just unrelenting maelstroms of shit storms and come out the other side with an idea of how to fix a situation and make a compromise. And yeah, FB might have gone through a lot of storms already in the process of getting remade in a better image and has since settled, but one way or another, more storms crop up in time and will need an experienced hand both shutting them down where necessary as well as picking through the rubble for what ideas can be salvaged.

Oops touched on this just a mite in the previous question. Long and short of it is basically that I'm of the firm belief that there are no bad ideas. Not wholly bad, anyway. Obviously there will always be ideas that will get a short and swift "No." dropped on them because they frankly just will not work, but that doesn't mean things can't be picked from them and used in another manner. My response to pretty much any idea will boil down to asking that it be fleshed out and brought up for conversation, and that people not shoot it down immediately and instead offer their criticism as constructive. That way if the no does come down on it due to just not fitting into the spirit of FB, something might still be salvaged as opposed to shutting down someone's creativity altogether. This really goes double for debates between members of the community, if it's kept constructive so that ideas can be pulled from it in the end, I'm all for it. Should it become destructive and angry, a swift stop will be put to it until discussion can be made constructive again.

Between moderators discussions should always be a give and take of what each individual thinks we should do and what they have observed the community wants and doesn't want. Disagreements are bound to happen but I think everyone involved would be able to keep a level enough head to make something good out of anything that was brought to moderator discussion. As for the community, quite honestly more oft than not I'd likely shut my gob and let others talk unless there was a lull in conversation or I was directly asked. Ideas are brought to the community for the community to add to or take apart as needed, not for moderators to steamroll over the voices of others and walk away without learning anything.

So this is pretty much the question I think everyone agrees the most heavily on, and Okiku hit the nail on the head here with her full layout of things. But as for my thoughts it boils down to first and foremost that I think we need to get an actual feel for and address the community as a whole's feelings on everything that has happened over the past few months. This means pushing forward the anonymous community reviews that were talked about way back in the initial planning stages of the rebuild. From there a proper handle on which of the major issues for a stable FB can be grasped and we can move on appropriately.

So this is the exact same question I answered months ago, and where I find myself the most stable, which I think is probably for the best, as you really can't be changing your stance on punishment unless absolutely necessary. So, for reference, a quick quote to how I responded back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze
While first and foremost I don't really believe that community conflict is an inherently bad thing, I do think that every now and then arguments need a soft hand to sort through everyone's feelings and pick out a common point, and also a firm hand to stop things if they start to get out of control. At the end of the day, a spat is just a spat, and every conversation, even if initially negative, has the potential to be turned into something constructive, and I want to be able to sit down the participants and figure out how to build off of any broken ground. As for "problem members", it really takes a lot more than most people joke to push my gears. I may come off as gruff but in the end I'm always willing to give a second chance to those that listen, and I don't believe in treating rule breaking with immediate firm action, instead a simple message of "Hey this isn't okay" is usually all it takes. Now, that's not to say that there won't be bad seeds. Everyone and their mother at this point knows all too well of my poor relationship with Aposteriori (and by extension EG). Note that this is something that had stemmed after years of second chances after second chances only for the hand that fed to be bitten time and time again. And of course while I will gladly give second chances to those willing to learn from their mistakes, there will always be those that don't. And if decisive action is what it comes to handle those that consistently bully, rule break, or commit similar actions, then so be it, but it would not be solely my foot coming down. Rather, it would be after a talk was had with the other moderators in regards to the issue and the decision was made that the necessary action would be that of discipline. But let's all hope that case never occurs, I know I'd like to remain lax and have good relations with everyone that comes to join FB.

Hatchery co-SO, ASB Sig Approver, Admin of a Gaming Group and Discord Server (including a fair number of UPNers), Phantom Isle ZU (2013-2014), Head Admin of a Video Streaming site (2011-2012), Various positions of management in BronyCon staff ranging from Registration Manager to Head of Attendee Relations (2012-2016)

I'll get to Deebs' questions here in just a moment. Responding to a community question post warrants a separate post than that of the questionnaire methinks.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Old 10-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:

I spread myself thin, don't even have to think for a moment on that one, really. It's something that's been brought to my attention earlier this year and since then I've been been addressing by cutting out things that I simply don't have time for and more importantly aren't as important to other people as the tasks I keep. Working as a FB moderator means that quite simply FB is my top priority whenever applicable. Yes that means even over ASB whenever that need arises. The only real exception to this obviously being emergencies and such in real life.

Quote:
A thick and juicy cheeseburger, medium rare. Pepperjack cheese with the usual lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. Throw some jalapeno chips on top and give it a smokey barbecue sauce. Sides of garlic and cheddar mashed potatoes and some fresh fried onion rings.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #9
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Well I have already (but briefly) mentioned my faults, but didn't dig deep into that. So perfect time to do so, at least with one fault in particular!

I believe that my biggest fault is that I'm too non-confrontational. I don't mind debates, but... I don't like to pick a side, either because both sides have good points and I'm right down in the middle (it can be a good thing but it could also be bad), or I'm definitely on one side of the debate but I don't want to weigh in and give the impression that either the other side is no longer valid, or that I am showing favoritism. As for a full-on fight, they're uncomfortable for me because I want it to stop so feelings stop being hurt, but at the same time I don't want to get involved as I'm afraid I'll be picking up a side, I'll be making it worse, or otherwise being unfair.

All that said, just the fact that I am aware of my tendencies is a good start. If ever I become a mod, although my word will be considered as "more important" (even though I personally do not feel it should be), whenever I feel uneasy, I will be able to consult with my fellow mods to help me convince to speak up, and also iron things out to assure me that what I say and do is correct. It could very well be just a question of getting used to things also. Another thing to consider is as much as I don't like confrontations, I know from experience (and I know some of you have seen it!) that I have a limit with that habit; When push comes to shove (especially in terms of bullying gone too far) I can put my foot down, speak up and get things to order. [MAMA OM MODE ON STANDBY]

Quote:
Duuuuuuuuuuuuude, someone call 911, because that question is murdering me! I'm a bit of a foodie so it's hard for me to pick something out ^^;

Do buffets count? I would totally pick all-you-can-order Japanese buffet. All the ramen, sushi, takoyaki, tempura everything... almost everything that I love and more, awwwwwwwwwwww yeah.

If not, I guess I'll take the 6 course meal route.
Appetizers would be a mix of tempura shrimp and cheese sticks.
Soup shall be a (small) bread bowl of clam chowder.
For fish, a mix of various sushi, mostly using smoked salmon, cream cheese, shrimp, spicy mayo, avocado and tempura. Obviously with some soy sauce, wasabi and gari/marinated ginger.
Salad would be a greek one, with no tomatoes, not a lot of onions, and extra feta cheese.
Main course will be... (dammit that's the hardest choice!) a tender garlic pork roast, with a baked potato.
And for dessert, I have to go with my mom's cherry cheesecake, with some chocolate-drizzled fried bananas and some maple-flavored macarons on the side.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
Old 10-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Time for something a little more practical. I figure that a more direct example is in order:

Let's pretend that the community is split on something, I'll go with an example that likely will not happen:
The Move Tutor. Half of the community thinks that you should bring back shards and purchase moves with that instead of cash because it gives the chance to RP the Pokemon earning the move, but the other half hates the idea of having to collect needless collectables to teach their Pokemon a new move. How would you handle this hypothetical situation?

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL

Last edited by CyberBlastoise; 10-25-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBlastoise View Post
Time for something a little more practical. I figure that a more direct example is in order:

First of all, I would consult with the other mods and see where we all stand on the issue at hand. If we’re all in agreement, then we can present our views to the community and see if we can get both sides to come to a consensus. However, if we are not all in agreement, I would say that we start by opening up discussion with the community on weighing the pros and cons and do so while moderating the discussion so it does not get out of hand. After that I would propose that we see how many people are in favor of either outcome; if it’s skewed heavily towards one side, we would try to focus our efforts on getting the minority to see why the other outcome would benefit the greater good. If it’s split pretty evenly, I would suggest that we try to come up with some kind of middle ground where maybe both methods could be used, or maybe one would tie into the other somehow. Basically at the end of it all I would try to approach things logically and not take my own personal opinion into account. My goal is to try to get everyone to accept the final outcome, even if it’s only a compromise of what they wanted.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #12
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:

Right so getting basic discussion on either side of the idea is pretty much standard fare for anything of the sort, as would be having ongoing discussions in regards to it with the other mods. So assuming those to be prerequisites here, I'll just outright say what I'm thinking on this particular topic... that being that purchasing moves with trinkets, to me, doesn't in and of itself lend to the idea of the Pokemon earning the move, necessarily. That said, that's not necessarily a reason to shut down the idea so much as having a baseline understanding as to one of potentially many reasons of the side that doesn't want it to happen. Ultimately the reasoning of both sides needs to be understood regardless of how many supporters each side has, as just because something has the most voices behind it doesn't mean it's the best decision to make. The clearest step to me in understanding the side that would want the return of shards would be to have them explain their reason and provide a bit of substance for myself and others that might not understand to mull over, so I'd likely ask that they write out a mock RP as if they were making a purchase using shards as they're asking to do. From there I'd re-evaluate the situation with the other mods and see what both sides think again, as there might be some further understanding from the side that initially said no, while the side that initially wanted the change might understand that no side a bit as well depending on the difficulty of writing said mock up. It's pretty standard show don't tell and would likely work to find the best compromise, even if perhaps the process of asking for examples might need repeating during the process for objections or suggestions made throughout it.

Last edited by Sneaze; 10-26-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: I totally know how to spell, promise
Old 10-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #13
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Since the plan is to expand FB into BMG, what would you say is most important in making that happen and making the BMG branch thrive?

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Old 10-26-2017, 12:33 AM   #14
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
Ultimately the number one factor with FB’s future success on BMG lies with the member base there. If they have active people who are willing to participate and blend with the FB community, I don’t see any issues. If we struggle to add a serious influx of new members, it won’t matter what we do.

That being said, I think we’re really going to need to come up with something to host on BMG that is unique and permanent. We have already established that we want to keep our main shops here on UPN, so it will have to come in the form of something else. Maybe new zones, maybe Battle Frontier, or something else. Hosting something temporary like an event will only be a band-aid to the issue. The bottom line is that the work load could be an issue with the FB community at the present, so we would really need either people to step up from here and/or new members from BMG to be willing enough to become updaters as well.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:47 AM   #15
myahoo
Soul Badge

If you do get elected as a mod, what would you prioritize? For example, the expansion to BMG, the legendary discussion, TMs, something else?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 AM   #16
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myahoo View Post
It’s hard to say what I would prioritize right now, because I’m not looking to be elected to run FB by myself. I think I would talk things over with the other mods first and see what’s on their list of priorities first. I do think an expansion to BMG would be very important to secure though.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:23 AM   #17
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
I'll admit that when it comes to expansion my experience is rather bare bones, but one thing I do know is we can't simply half ass it and expect it to work. This means first and foremost that we need to both attract and retain members, the easiest way of doing which is simply activity. People are unlikely to like it, but BMG would need to become the most active of the two boards during this time, this means moving or copying shops that would be available for use for anyone with Pokemon below level 10 or 15, most likrly, and with prioritization on moving over copying so that activity is not split. Quite simply nobody is going to join a game if they have to jump to another forum to get the majority of the experience before even knowing the userbase. Beyond that, since the BMG team contacted us, we could likely ask for an announcement of some kind to help draw some attention. These are of course only my though on the matter and would need heavy discussion before any action was tsken, but I wholeheartedly feel it's the best course of action at this time.

Quote:
Like I said above, I'm not overly knowledgeable on the expansion as a whole and would be wanting to hear a lot from the community for ideas there. Outside of that I would likely be focusing my efforts on getting s proper read on everyone's feelings as to what the core of FB is and go from there depending on what is already on the board with the other mods. Most likely I would attempt to tackle the large issues we have that need an eye for balancing on them and fit into what makes FB unique. These are things like our TM system, Legendaries, Shadow Pokemon and mood in general, and perhaps biggest, the UPC.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #18
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

You're stranded on a island in the middle of nowhere. You can have 3 items, what do you choose?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #19
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
Argh, how dare you do this to me :P

Uh, I’ll take a hunting knife, some lighter fluid, and a satellite phone.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #20
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Satellite phone is a requirement pretty much always if you want off, beyond that I'd bring a hatchet for buidling shelter and tools as well as cutting meat, and a hunting bow, even if I'm not allowed arrows I can make some capable of hunting small game or fish easily enough.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #21
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Ooof, time for me to keep up with all those questions!

Quote:

Sandaa pretty much got the way I would do it, but I would give a few tweaks.

Start with chatting with fellow mods to share each other's opinions, however while doing so we also list out the pros and cons which each side. We share said pros and cons to everyone, but as for our opinion, it depends if we agree generally or not. If we do agree we do, if we don't we just say that we don't. (Note: our opinion shouldn't be the end of it though, at least not yet.) If that succeed to lean to one opinion in particular, then we can discuss with the minority side to see if we can convince how the pros outweigh the cons. (Ex.: If those who wants the shards back are the minority, we could mention how you need to RP to get cash anyways.) If the minority still fully and strongly disagree, or the pro-con and opinion stating didn't lean on one side to another, we try to find a compromise between the two. (Ex.: Both cash and shards could be accepted as payments for the Move Tutor.) If that still isn't enough, then the "Coins" route should be taken: a vote between the different solutions. That said, I would find that voting isn't quite enough, as if the votes are too tight (like, say we got 3 solutions and the top two of the votes have a small number of difference between the two)... then it'll be time for the mods to take charge and take the decision ourselves. How? Well we discuss it between us again, but this time putting in center one thing that I mentioned in my nomination intro: Decide based on the core philosophy on FB. Whatever solution that answers the best to the question "What follows the most what Fizzy Bubbles is?", should be the solution that is decided in the end. And when that happens, we of course share it to others, both the chosen solution and the reasoning why it represents what FB is the most. At that point others can refute and argue against it and can change our minds, but it should be more our less the final decision.

Quote:
Well I kinda already addressed it in my nomination intro, but we basically need to give a clear message to BMG that we're ready to take them by having a good "base". Sure, we pretty much all agree that we need to have more members and BMG is the way to go. But how are we going to attract those members? I say it is equally about the RPing and the community.

The RPing is the no-brainer: it's what we're here for, right? So we'll need to make sure the RPing is good. To do so, I say we need to find the right balance between having both UPN and BMG able to hold on their own (as in, someone can play FB in one forum without having the need to move to the other) while having enough differences between the two that it'll attract people to one forum to another. Think of it as how the core Pokémon games are: There's always two games that come out at the same time. Most people buy only one of the two as both are technically the same, but they're just enough different that you still want to interact with the other version of the game to get the little things the other game doesn't have. (...or you just buy both XD) But for FB to hold its own in both forums...

...we need the community we have. And I'm not just talking about "splitting" our forces so we can take care of UPN and BMG equally - I mean we need to band together and show what we got, both in organisation and fun-loving group. And we already have a good part of that - we work together to take decisions and we are generally nice between one another. I mean, it got us this far; the very reason we're still around is because of one another! That said, we need to work on being perhaps a little bit more organized and being able to concretely show how unified we are - and one way to do so and to finally settle down and decide what Fizzy Bubbles should be. (At this point, I don't feel like repeating what I have already said before ^^;) And when we do show how we are as an RP and as a community, not only it'll attract people, but it'll attract people who will know what to expect from us.

Quote:
I think I can't stress enough about the whole FB Core Philosophy thing ^^; It's the base of pretty much everything, so taking care of that will help out a least bit on all the other decisions. If I give it a second place though, BMG expansion would be it, as the new BMG arrivals can easily chip in on the discussions at hand. I mean, wouldn't it be exciting for a newcomer to be able to have a say to such important things? And in my opinion, the more opinions the better.

Quote:
Dammit, everyone took the satellite phone But I want to precise that it should be one of those that can be used anywhere and that can give you your GPS coordinates (kinda want to make sure you can call wherever you are, and kinda want to know where you are too.) My second item would be a gigantic emergency blanket (can be used as shelter, cover, sun reflector... you name it.) Third choice depends on how deserted the island is: if it is completely void of life (including plants), then I'll go with some food (specifically beef jerky and/or chocolate.) If it does have a jungle and/or animals (or I have no way of knowing what the island have), then I'll take the machete route as I could use it to make tools, hunt/forage, and generally defend myself.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #22
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Late as usual, but let me ask some minor things out of curiosity. None of these are make-or-break for me, but humour me, I never got to debate this things freely with the previous administration :P

1. I'd like to hear your respective stances on the leniency of rewarding players. What I mean by this is, what is your opinion on giveaways, their frequency compared to roleplay events (basically, the balance between effortless prizes and RPs which, fun as they are, take a lot of time to conclude and some never do), and how generous mods should be when handing out freebies outside of an RP context (since I believe just about everything should be available in zones with a matching amount of effort).

2. This game thrives on the updater-updatee dynamic. What would you do in case of a shortage of updaters to accommodate an influx of active players? And what about a scenario where you have unoccupied updaters because players stop replying? Do you think either situation merits mod intervention, or not so much?

3. What is your current stance on the "numbers" side of FB - i.e., the PokeDollars system, tallying of Bonds, Rare Candy count, etc? Are you okay with how these numerical management aspects are currently implemented, or would you prefer a different scenario?
Old 10-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #23
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskerade View Post
Late as usual, but let me ask some minor things out of curiosity. None of these are make-or-break for me, but humour me, I never got to debate this things freely with the previous administration :P

1. I'd like to hear your respective stances on the leniency of rewarding players. What I mean by this is, what is your opinion on giveaways, their frequency compared to roleplay events (basically, the balance between effortless prizes and RPs which, fun as they are, take a lot of time to conclude and some never do), and how generous mods should be when handing out freebies outside of an RP context (since I believe just about everything should be available in zones with a matching amount of effort).

2. This game thrives on the updater-updatee dynamic. What would you do in case of a shortage of updaters to accommodate an influx of active players? And what about a scenario where you have unoccupied updaters because players stop replying? Do you think either situation merits mod intervention, or not so much?

3. What is your current stance on the "numbers" side of FB - i.e., the PokeDollars system, tallying of Bonds, Rare Candy count, etc? Are you okay with how these numerical management aspects are currently implemented, or would you prefer a different scenario?
1. My personal stance is that I am pretty generous with giveaways (just see the rewards for the CG event last month) but more than anything I love that since FB has changed management there have been less “freebie” giveaways (meaning no RP is required). My reasoning for this is that the old FB often got into a rut where people were just expecting to claim stuff without needing to roleplay, which goes away from the spirit of the game. In my eyes, the further we can get from our old traditions and habits the better.

That being said, I understand that not everybody has the time to sit down and RP day in and day out, so on special occasions I’d be more than willing to concede that sometimes getting a quick claim in would be beneficial to keeping more people active in FB. I think we’ll need to find a balance between the two methods.

2. This RP’s overall health depends immensely on the availability and activity of its updaters. It’s unreasonable to force people to do what is essentially a volunteer job, so in order to maintain positive levels of updater activity we should be doing our best to make sure our current updaters are rewarded for their efforts and that their hard work is recognized. If we continue to keep our updaters happy, sometimes it’s infectious where non-updaters might want to join in and help out as well. If even that doesn’t work, it might be time to seriously take a look at the amount of traffic that passes through each zone and talk to the ZAs about what they can handle and what we can do to help them. I know personally if I’m elected mod, I would like to get a detailed picture of how often zones are being updated and how often people are replying to their updates.

3. It would be remiss to skip the fact that the present currency of FB is a little unbalanced. There is a glut of Pokedollars with most active people while Candies still hold a higher value. I think by implementing more ways to spend Pokedollars it will even out the currency a bit, so as we look to add TM purchases as well as in-zone shops, the value in spending money will increase overall. To tie it back into the previous answer, if people are spending money and need to find a way to replenish their banks, it could further increase the activity in updating and replying.

Overall I think we’re doing pretty well with the different number of statistical values to keep up with. Stuff like Bond is an optional perk, and on top of that we were able to merge Happiness Points with IQ to lessen the number of things to keep up with. Candies and Pokedollars will always be an integral part of Pokemon, no matter what the game is, so I can’t say there’s any reason to change them.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #24
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Although I do like how we had/have quite a few roleplay events that replaced of the "quote-and-go" events, I feel that we should have 3/4 kind of balance between the two types, or at least go with a case-by-case scenario. Sure, RP events are more fun, gives more opportunity to RP (I mean this is an RP game) and gives something for players to work for to get the special prizes, but RP events are time-consuming for updaters and updatees alike (especially when deadlines are involved) and can be slow to complete/finalise. Bonus points: if the event is related to an important holiday, people will have less time to attend/RP and will have to either sacrifice IRL stuff to spend time writing, or sulk in a corner for missing out on an FB event celebrating that holiday because ironically they had to celebrate it IRL. So, having giveaway events once in a while would be a good thing, to give a little break (in both RPing/time and items) while still keeping activity in check (although only slightly) and celebrate whatever occasion the event is for. However, doing it too much will basically bring us back to ye olde FB times. So, we should stick to RP events as much as possible, but whenever being really tight on time, been a while since we did one (4-5 months perhaps?) and/or just want a little extra treat, a giveaway event would be welcomed.

Quote:
Well for both updaters and updatees, we obviously cannot force their hands on what they should do or not. FB's about fun based on creativity, so there is a lot of reasons that it takes a backseat in people's lives, whenever being real life (events, health, etc) getting in the way, being out of creativity, loss of interest of writing, and just plain laziness. There's usually not much a mod can do, but I believe there's ways that can help out. The one main thing is, as obvious as it is, communication. Knowing the majority's reasons why they are no longer updating/replying is half the battle what will help finding/deciding a possible countermeasure.

As examples for situations for updaters (only examples mind you, I'm just throwing an idea for each on the top of my head ^^; ) there's not enough rewards, then it should be fixed. If creativity is a problem, then perhaps changing some zones around can inspire new stories. If it's laziness... well that's hard to tackle as it's a more "personal" issue, but we can help out setting up some objectives to reach (say, X amount of updates per month), which can be either just something to be reached personally, or have a side reward system for said objectives when they are met, maybe some bonus FC (and if the objectives are not met? Nothing happens other than some disappointment. No way ever updaters should be punished for such a thing.) And if it's just IRL stuff happening coincidentally at the same time? Either we just wait it out until things settled back in, or we try to find some new updaters as replacement.

As for updatees, while we can do some similar solutions as the above (more coins/bond per post for "rewards", different/more zones for inspiration, objectives for laziness, wait it out for personal reasons), there's a few other options. A reminder from their updaters could perhaps help (or at least get to know their situation). If updaters are willing, they can throw in an event to attract more updatees.

As a solution (well, idea) for both, I second Sandaa's point of getting stats of the updatee/updater/zone ratio, and have it update every month or so. That way we see the general standings, and we could devise a plan to spread out the updaters around the zones better to fit the needs of everyone (although this is less than ideal, as I'm sure updaters feel more comfortable sticking around in their zone.)

Quote:
To be honest, I don't earn a lot of Pokédollars so I'm more relaxed with my hoarding saving and not spending. But I definitely see how it is a problem for others though. There's not a lot of things that can be spent on, and what's available to buy is generally inexpensive or not useful per say. While adding more "high grade" expensive things that can be bought is a start, perhaps we could revise the prices of everything else, since now we have a better picture of what's going on and how much a member can earn, we could adjust the price of a few things. (That said, it is possible we don't need to do so. It might actually be a big no-no, as we want the items to be accessible for newer members too.) All in all, although the economy as it is now still works, it does need a bit of tweaking.

As for candies, I believe it is fine as it is, even though it is still one of the main currencies despite the attempt on focusing more on Pokédollars. It's very much likely because of what I mentioned above, but also perhaps part of some old habits. (I'm still hoarding my candies for no reason <.<) Fixing the Pokédollars would likely "fix" the candies.

And last but not least, the Bond system. I do love how Bond works, especially how you can gain them from every post with them. I admittedly find it slow... but that's likely only because of my situation where I'm not using Luxury Balls and I'm a slow replier ^^; But besides that personal side note, Bond doesn't have any problems as far as I can tell.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #25
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

So we’ve come close to making a final decision on our nominees. We will grant the community a little more time though to ask any last questions.

In addition, we as mods have a task for the community:
Provide a reason why we should (or shouldn’t) elect X candidate.

Fairly simple and straightforward, we want to hear short speeches from those willing to give their thoughts on a candidate and reason why a specific candidate should be considered for modship. You may pick any or all candidates. You are not required to single out just one person if you don’t want to. We ask that everyone please remain cordial in their talk and keep their criticism constructive. The point of this question is for the community itself to debate who they want elected.
We understand that not everyone is as willing to publicise their advocacy or criticism which is why we will also open up the option to directly PM the mods – Emi, Ex-Admiral Insane and Marion - with their thoughts. Same rules apply: stay cordial and keep criticism constructive.

The deadline for Q&A is
Saturday, 4 November 23:59 GMT
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Hall of Records