UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out

Old 12-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Charizard Mega Stones

Feel free to discuss Mega Stones here. Sample questions you might enjoy answering include:
  • Do you like Mega Evolution?
  • Do you want a Mega Stone in FB?
    • If yes, which Mega Stone(s) would you most like to have?
  • Under what circumstances would you use a Mega Stone in FB?
  • How rare do you think Mega Stones are or should be? (Let's try to keep the discussion to in-universe answers, please.)
  • Is there a particular Mega Stone that you think best fits someone in FB? Who, which stone, and why?
  • What are your thoughts on FB custom Mega Stones?
    • For example, Charizardite FB that facilitates Charizard's Mega Evolution into Mega Charizard FB, a Charizard mega whose typing, ability, and/or other features set him apart from the current two official Charizard megas.
    • For another example, Mega Stones that work with non-fully evolved forms. So like, such stones as Aronite, Kadabrite, and Scytherite.
Feel free to answer as many or few of these questions as you like. Create your own questions to pose to your fellow FBers. Have fun discussing Mega Evolution and its potential in Fizzy Bubbles!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
sweetbbydoll
Kawaii ~

At first I was a little unsure about Mega Evolution but sooner or later it grew on me to the point that I have my trainer, not only strive to perform in contests but to also challenge herself by trying to raise a few Mega's as well. Ever since learning that Charizard didn't just get one but two Mega forms I have the most difficult time deciding which one to go for, X/Y...I feel Sam (Samantha) my now Charmeleon would like X because of how furious it is compared to Y. But Y, I feel would suit her more girly side. I also have a few other Pokemon whose final evolutions' have mega forms; Houndour, Mareep, Magikarp, Snover, and Kangaskhan. Which I have ideas for as well but all in do time I guess...

I don't like the idea of using the Mega Stone unless I'm fighting a tough opponent or I'm backed into a corner and decide to use it as a tramp card. As for how to obtain them...adventuring would be ideal but updates being what they are right now, mhmmm. I can see them costing quite a lot too if they were allowed as purchasable items.
sweetbbydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Do you like Mega Evolution? Yes, as long as not everybody ends up getting it, especially Pokemon who could use true evolutions instead.

Do you want a Mega Stone in FB? Yeah, and I'd really like Gardevoirite for Sera (Kirlia) once she fully evolves.

Under what circumstances would you use a Mega Stone in FB? Depending on what the rules for using Mega Stones might be, I may have my Pokemon use them on their own sometimes, though their energy would probably be drained over time until the Pokemon chooses to end it. Hyrem would probably use them sparingly as per my headcanon that he uses his own energy to create the bond with a Pokemon that causes them to Mega-evolve, and that he'd have to wait quite a while before getting the energy needed to use Mega-evolution again.

How rare do you think Mega Stones are or should be? Definitely could be zone-exclusive, though it'd be a nice nod to the games if the Mega Stones for the Starter Pokemon were available in the CfP, likely a 500,000 coin item to purchase. Maybe they'd be more likely in zone areas considered "difficult", like Astoria's Labyrinth or Cloud Garden's Forbidden Garden?

What are your thoughts on FB custom Mega Stones? I'd prefer not to have them exist, the ones already out there are complicated and cool enough.

Is there a particular Mega Stone that you think best fits someone in FB? Who, which stone, and why? Well, I currently have 13 Pokemon that can possibly have Mega Evolutions, three of them fully evolved and the others yet to get there. Of the three that are already fully evolved, the one that would make the most sense to Mega Evolve would be Michael (Banette) since it would show he is fully committed to his cause. That or show he's lost his human side and fully embraced the identity of a Blood God. Right behind Michael would be Kilogram (Steelix) because then he'd really have a good power to protect everyone around him. Of the 10 yet to fully evolve, obviously I want Sera to Mega Evolve since she's my starter, but beyond that I'd pick Vi (Combusken), Zyra (Bulbasaur), Silas (Houndour), and Wendy (Shelgon) to get Mega-evos above my more recent Pokemon, though the thought of having a Mega-Gyarados named Bubbles has crossed my mind.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
-- Mega Evolution is pretty awesome, but my biggest fear for it is that it will turn out to be akin to how the PTCG is right now. (In case you don't know what I'm talking about, the TCG has basically turned into a freak power surge in which you don't stand much of a chance of doing anything unless you have ten of the newest EX Legendary cards. Or in other words, nothing but one big commercialization for the Pokemon co.) It isn't a huge of an issue now, but if ever it is changed so that more than one mega is allowed on a team, you can say goodbye to any usefulness for anything that doesn't get a mega form.

-- Well of course! Who wouldn't? And Mega Pidgeot, since Pidgey was my starter after all.

-- Mostly as a desperation move, yes. They shouldn't just get thrown about willy-nilly.

-- I think that it should be less about rarity, and more like every FB'er should get one or two for the Pokemon they really care about.

-- I suppose I don't really know everyone well enough to answer that...

-- I think it would be a cool idea, but perhaps it could pertain more to creating megas for Pokemon who don't already have one?

Personally, I think mega evolution could be great for an RP like FB because unlike the games, it would give us a chance to show off not only power, but also the deep friendships between a trainer and their Pokemon. If we were to use megas in FB, do you think it should be required for the trainer to have been with their Pokemon for some time before they are allowed to mega evolve, so we know that they are using it not for power, but as a result of friendship? Or does that seem unfair, and any of your Pokemon, new or old, should be able to go mega? Also, do you think each trainer should be limited to evolving a few of their favorites, or would evolving as many as you want make more sense?

Friend Code/Username list
Spoiler: show
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Do you like Mega Evolution?
Yep!

Do you want a Mega Stone in FB?
See previous answer.

If yes, which Mega Stone(s) would you most like to have?
Well, right away, my mind jumps to Banettite, Gengarite, Beedrillite, Slowbronite (though Dudley needs to worry about evolving first), and Blastoisinite. That said, there's also Houndoominite (once Ruby evolves), Venusaurite (once Dennis evolves), Cameruptite (once Vinny evolves), and Audinite...

Under what circumstances would you use a Mega Stone in FB?
Well, I'd have to be going up against a strong opponent, probably one also using Mega Evolution, or else be in some sort of seriously dire situation that calls for a little extra power. Possibly other situations I haven't thought of yet, too.

What are your thoughts on FB custom Mega Stones?
Just one thought; Weezingite.

Oh, and another thing to talk about- I actually asked this some time ago in the TO thread, but it's fitting for this, so yeah- If we get the option to devise our own item for holding our Key Stone, what would yours be?

Mine would be this- the Mega Hat!

(nicknames; Dudley=Shiny Slowpoke; Ruby=Houndour; Dennis=Ivysaur♂; Vinny=Numel)
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
Quilavaflare
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Quilavaflare
Noice hat! Real fashionable like, too. Mine would probably be... the mega shoe!! On a scarf, like the ones the DPP trainers wear. Although I'm not sure if that would be entirely befitting of my character. But since you don't have to do anything special to give your trainer clothing, you could technically be wearing them now. so get out there and buy yourself a pair of the new Mega Undies!!
*only at participating stores

Sorry, it's the night-time high talking.

Friend Code/Username list
3DS: 0748-3092-2840
Y Trainer Name: Roy
[Friend Safari: Paras, Vivillon, Beautifly]
Pokemon Showdown: Quilavaflare
Nintendo Network: Snowboos

Quilavaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
At first I didn't, but I've grown to embrace it, even though a) a lot of Pokémon that get ones don't need them and b) even more Pokémon should just have an actual evolution instead.

Yes. I only have five Pokémon that are eventually capable of Mega Evolving, and none of them have reached the stage at which they can. But Angua the Houndour and Elsa the Shiny Electrike are basically sisters, it would be cool to see them help each other to perfect the power they'd gain from Mega Evolving (and a Shiny Mega Manectric would be pretty cool). Ysabell would probably go mad with vengeance power if she became a Mega Banette. I can see Sam becoming a Mega Sharpedo in order to defend his loved ones (especially a certain Mantyke). The only one I'm not sold on is YB, for the sheer fact that Mega Evolving is supposed to require a strong trainer-Pokémon bond, and he's a sociopath. Maybe helping him gain the power of a Mega Camerupt would be a way to bond with him? Who knows.

As others have said, against a strong opponent or in a dire situation.

How rare do you think Mega Stones are or should be? (Let's try to keep the discussion to in-universe answers, please.)
I think they'd be a great reward for hard quests. I'd love to go on an adventure in Phantom Isle and stumble across a Banettite, or explore the darkest ocean depths in Cascadia and find a Sharpedonite, or travel almost to the magma chamber of one of Cortoza's volcanoes to retrieve a Cameruptite.

Meh. Maybe Scytherite because Scyther's awesome and I highly doubt Gamefreak will do Megas for NFEs, but aside from that I'd rather stick to canon stones.

If we get the option to devise our own item for holding our Key Stone, what would yours be?
Mega Rod (har-de-har-har). Basically a small fishing rod with no line and a Key Stone where the reel should be.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
I'll admit the same as the rest. I hated the concept at first and pretty much thought GF was jumping the shark with the idea. But I've really grown to like it and actually want more Pokémon in my party capable of Mega Evolving.

God yes. I only have 2 Pokémon so far that are capable of Mega Evolving (Gallade and Absol). A Galladite is what I want to strive for. I think that, besides for Arc Angel, I'm the only one with a Gallade(?).

Similar to what others have said; as a Last Resort type of thing. (Though I can easily imagine myself going overboard with it once I do get the ability to use it.)

How rare do you think Mega Stones are or should be?
I think that 1 per person would be good enough tbh. Otherwise it'll start becoming this 'collector's item' type of thing and lose its value as this rare and special item.

Is there a particular Mega Stone that you think best fits someone in FB?
Not necessarily. I can imagine those who are more concentrated on a single type to want/get a Mega Stone for a Pokémon that has the type (so Escalion with Steelixite/Aerodactylite/Tyranitarite/Aggronite for eg), but other than that I don't think so.

I actually don't like this idea. Sorry. It just seems like the type of thing that would create too much friction in the community if allowed too much freedom. I mean it borders close on UPC without the restrictions of it being one person per year.

If we get the option to devise our own item for holding our Key Stone, what would yours be?
I haven't thought a lot about this. I'd probably still go for the traditional bracelet. Maybe have it changed into a working wristwatch? Other than that I can only think of cuff links and belt buckles but I can't imagine Lucas wearing either of those

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Although I think this would've been best placed in the Dev thread in Bulba, for the mods to use it as a "base" of sorts to the idea of FB Mega Stones... I'll play along!

Big Shrug of Neutralism. Admitedly I hardly use it ever since I don't have the Mega Stones for my related Pokémon (I haven't even finished X/Y yet... shame on me, I know) aaaaaand I dunno, I find it's a good idea on paper/design, but when playing the game I just don't see the point. I just stick to old school XP

*crashes through a wall* OH YEAH
More seriously though, I see how it is way more appealing to use a Mega Stone in FB than in the games. There's a lot more of a "storyline" implication and semi-necessity than the games. For example, you and your Pokémon has been through thick and thin, creating a huge bond enough you are able to trigger Mega Evolution, but never saw the use of it. And then one day through your travels you're stuck. The bad guys are winning, completely surrounded... you would be normally doomed. BUT WAIT, you got Mega Evolution! Using the friendship you forged, you make your Pokémon stronger to wipe out the troubles standing in front of you. The "opposite" is true also: You defeat some evildoing team with ease like all 10-year olds should and the boss is at his last Pokémon during a battle. You think victory is at hand... but his last pokémon shows up, mega-evolves, and suddenly the tides are on his side. Eeep. It's not the same thrill as the games where a battle is just a battle.

ALL OF THE MEGA STONES _o/ Well, although technically I currently have no Pokémon that can mega-evolve, I still have 7 of my Pokémon that could eventually mega-evolve (Ralts (both evolution lines), Aron, Meditite, Snover, Slowpoke and Swablu) and at least 3 Pokémon that I want in my team (but don't have yet) that could also do the same (Alakazam, Lucario, Metagross). Personally I think all my Pokémon deserve Mega Evolution as it would give a meaning to what they are (Fighter/spiritual enlightenment/greater beauty), for the exception of my Slowpoke Marbles and my Snover Sasquash who doesn't really need it (Sasquash is too cute/innocent for it while Marbles is just... Marbles.)

Like mentioned above (and by others) I would use it in a "Oh shit if I don't do this I'm screwed" moment. Only other reason why I would use it though would be in a special occasion battle or something, but that's low on priorities. Better survive than look good or win a random nice battle, right?

Is there a particular Mega Stone that you think best fits someone in FB? Who, which stone, and why?
Erm not really? Kinda wish there was a "Corsolaite" for Lilblue, however...

Big nope. Not only it's best to stick to the games, but it just feels wrong. The *only* exception to this though is making up a Mega Evolution through the UPC, though. Anyone thought of that?

Hmm... well two options for Okiku to hold it without adding something new to her usual "equipment" is to incorporate it after either her glasses or her backpack, but other ways I could think of would be either as a necklace or on a pocket watch. (She/I cannot stand wristwatches and bracelets.)

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Not particularly. Much as I dislike its specimens in general, I can see why the new Fairy-Type makes some manner of sense in-universe. Mega Evolution feels like a borrowed concept that, the way it was handled, makes "regular" fully-evolved Pokemon feel inadequate and Megas the new standard of power. They're becoming too widespread and haven't been portrayed nearly as over-the-top as I'd have hoped in the series either, where everything non-Mega feels like NFE instead.
Personal gripes aside, it's a concept that can fit wonderfully in a game like FB if their availability is handled with a bit more tact than in the games; it's teeming with RPing potential.

Yes, provided I'm forced to work for it and it fits the Pokemon in question. Syre's, Zion's and Nyx's characters don't need to become Mega Salamence/Metagross/Gengar respectively at all; on the other hand, Mazo and Haou feel much more "right" as Mega Lucario/Mega Medicham in my mind.

Lucarionite and Medichamite (sp?).

Never in a Trainer Battle if the opponent doesn't have one. In zones, as an absolute last resort provided the updater doesn't screw me out of the chance. :P

Is there a particular Mega Stone that you think best fits someone in FB? Who, which stone, and why?
I'd love for every veteran, and especially the Elite Four, to have one Mega Stone for their signature Pokemon when applicable at some point.

Custom Stones means custom Mega Evos, which is something I'm not in favor of. UPCmon I'm fine with, tampering with canon not so much.

My character doesn't have any distinguishing features or gear outside of his brother's lucky coin, so I'm largely indifferent to how the Key Stone would be held.

Finally, implementation. I've pitched an idea some time back of having a subsection in Trainer Battles ("Tower of Mastery"?) where mirror-matches are held between an approved referee/staff member controlling an NPC vs the player controlling the Pokemon he wants the Mega Stone for. So for instance, Arc Angel controlling an NPC with Mega Absol vs a player with his own Absol, reffed by another official; each player could only apply for a Stone Match once every X months regardless of outcome. At the same time, they could be available as zone rewards. As of right now, I'm strongly against mass Stone giveaways and being able to purchase them.

Last edited by MarbleZone; 12-16-2014 at 03:35 PM.
MarbleZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
Although I think this would've been best placed in the Dev thread in Bulba
Respectfully disagree, as should be evident from my decision to post it here. One, I wanted this to be a discussion thread for all time, not a brainstorming session for one month. Two, I wanted people to feel like they can discuss things -- ranging from the silly to the serious -- without having to feel like they need to be offering constructive feedback for how Mega Stones ought to be implemented in FB. This thread was never intended solely as a "Hey, mods! Listen up!" kind of thread. (If they do "listen up" to anything mentioned here, then okay, fine, whatever, but that wasn't the main intent.) I created this thread more as an outlet for discussing things like ... well, like the following:

Is there a particular Mega Stone that you think best fits someone in FB? Who, which stone, and why? When I created this thread, I had Charminions in mind. I was specifically thinking to myself how if anyone ought to get a Houndoomite in FB, it's probably Charm. The guy has hatched half a dozen Houndour at this point, including at least one shiny. He also originally was hatching Fire Core Eggs in part because he was aiming for a male Houndour. So it just would seem like the perfect fit to me if Charm were to get a Houndoomite. I can't think of many other members who make as good of sense as Charm does for actually-in-the-games Mega Stones. Like, Missingno. Master could have Qwilfishite or Weezingite but neither is a real stone. Marion Ette makes the best sense for Banettite but she's retired. I suppose Arc might tie Charm in my mind insofar as I know to associate Sableye with Arc_Angel, but I haven't really seen the proof of that as clearly as I have with Charm and Houndour/Houndoom.

^ This is not the sort of discussion suited to the Development forum. It is the sort of discussion perfectly suited for the Time Out.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
Stark
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I know to associate Sableye with Arc_Angel.
This was my first thought when you asked the question of who in FB you think would make a good pair for Mega Evolution.. I know Arc hasn't RPed much lately, but she and Imp, her Sableye, are a pretty tight team. Other than that I think it is just a matter of if anyone has a signature type of pokemon on their team that has the potential to Mega Evolve. I agree about Charm and I think MZ would do well with either the Lucarionite or the Medichamite. After that I would need to look at people's teams a little closer to see which pokemon they have and which they have spent a lot of time with to figure out which pokemon would seem like the best fit for MegaEvolving.
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

@Talon: Oh ok, fair enough! I just felt that there was some questions/subjects that could be useful for the mods for the implementation of Mega Stones in FB.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Stark
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
@Talon: Oh ok, fair enough! I just felt that there was some questions/subjects that could be useful for the mods for the implementation of Mega Stones in FB.

Truthfully, we haven't discussed Mega Stones since last summer and probably won't get around to doing so again until January. Right now the focus is to finish up the Friend Safari and get the new changes in place by the first of the year. Still, there are some good thoughts going on here and I think that many of the things people have mentioned here are things we were discussing ourselves such as how to obtain Mega Stones and how they would be used. So this is all good stuff.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #15
Rakurai
Boulder Badge

Oh goody. I like polls.

Yes. I think it's a neat concept, and it would work especially well in a RP setting.

Yes. My character also places a very strong emphasis on bonding with his Pokemon, so it fits him perfectly.

I'd want a Manectite, since it feels like it would be a crime to not have one for my starter, especially when he's going to be surrounded by a multitude of powerful Dragon types eventually that might make him feel a little inadequate. He's not a Manectric yet, but I'm more then ready to have him evolve once a situation feels appropriate for it.

I'd also be interested in a Garchompite or Charizardite X/Y, since my Gible and Charmander have been a part of my team considerably longer then the others, and would be the next in the line to reach their final evolution.

I'd mainly use it if I'm fighting another Mega, a legendary Pokemon, or if the odds were otherwise stacked against me. I wouldn't be above using it to crush someone in a battle for the sake of making a point about something, though.

How rare do you think Mega Stones are or should be? (Let's try to keep the discussion to in-universe answers, please.)

I tend to think of them as being fairly rare. What I believe is truly rare are the Key Stones needed to make use of them in the first place, which I feel are owned only by fortunate, wealthy, or elite, considering how few trainers are able to actually utilize Mega Evolution in both the games and anime.

Can't say I'm really familiar enough with anyone to have any thoughts here.

I prefer to stick to the established canon as far as Pokemon and their forms go.

Last edited by Rakurai; 12-17-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Rakurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Stark
Rainbow Badge

I'll take a shot at answering these.

I wasn't all that excited about it at first, but it has grown on me. I kind of wish they would have started with Mega Evolutions for some of the underpowered pokemon rather than the already powerful ones, but it is what it is.

Sure. I think it would be fun to have one. I have 12 pokemon on my team with the potential to Mega Evolve, but since I don't like the aesthetics of some Mega Evolutions (I'm looking at you Mega Salamence), I would probably try to keep to the ones I do like and that fit my team like any of Blaziken, Charizard, eventually Lucario, or possibly Pidgeot if I were to narrow down my choices.

Like so many others have said it depends on the situation. Although I don't think I would wait to use it as a last resort, I doubt I would use it much. Kind of a climax of a story type of thing would be my preference.

I would say they should be pretty rare. Probably some type of Zone item or Campaign/Mini-Campaign reward. Perhaps they could be an updater reward or a reward for doing some graphic work for the game like if someone sat down and painted a beautiful map of Talos. Basically, they need to be the type of reward one gets for doing something other than just posting in a giveaway thread.

As I mentioned before Arc and Sableye would be a very good fit.

I am not a fan of this because I have a feeling that the moment we create new Mega Evolutions for pokemon Game Freak will do the same for some of the ones we do and then we will have a conflict between the work we put in and the established canon Game Freak has created.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #17
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

To further elaborate about my Pokémon that could potentially Mega Evolve, not counting Pomona (Ivysaur♀) or Hermione (Weedle), neither of whom will evolve to the necessary stage to be able to Mega Evolve...

*Myrtle (Banette): Honestly, I can most easily imagine Myrtle Mega Evolving, as she and Keith have a very close bond. Mega Banette has an Attack stat surpassing that of Missingno., so I could easily see her taking a liking to the idea of Mega Evolution, as kind of a means of temporarily regaining the kind of raw power she possessed when she was alive.

*Helena (Shuppet): She'll have to evolve into Banette first, and that's not likely to be for some time, but once she does, I could see her Mega Evolving.

*Chuck (Gengar): Much as I like Mega Gengar, I'm not 100% sure if I see Chuck Mega Evolving. It's a definite possibility, but I'm just not sure how easily I can picture it, especially compared to my Shuppet and Banette.

*Melittin (Beedrill): Now Melittin, on the other hand, he I could see Mega Evolving, no problem. He's all about being taken seriously by his opponents, so it seems only natural he'd take to the idea of Mega Evolution. Whether he'd be able to control that kind of power may be a whole other story, however, and therein lies some decent RP potential.

*Chance (Blastoise): I'm definitely considering the idea. Keith and Chance have a close bond, and I could easily see Chance wanting to Mega Evolve if it would mean gaining the necessary power to stop bullies or criminals.

*Ruby (Houndour): Honestly, I'm still on the fence with her. While I usually just portray her as playful, she's also got a protective side... hard to say whether she'd Mega Evolve. I'll need to develop her character further before I decide on this one way or another. Still gotta work out the kind of circumstances under which she'd evolve into Houndoom in the first place.

*Dudley (Shiny Slowpoke): He'll have to evolve into Slowbro before this becomes a concern for him, though hopefully that day isn't too far away now. While I like the idea of Dudley Mega Evolving, I still gotta work out whether the idea would appeal to Dudley.

*Vinny (Numel): Hell to the yes. In fact, Mega Camerupt's reveal was what made me change my mind about not evolving Vinny in the first place. Picture a Mega Camerupt wearing Vinny's fedora, and you should have a good idea of what I'm talking about, because that is just an awesome mental picture. And even with that aside, I can easily see Vinny taking to the idea of Mega Evolution.

*Dennis (Ivysaur♂): He loves to battle, wants to get stronger, aspires to evolve all the way to Venusaur... yeah, I can definitely picture Dennis Mega Evolving.

*Joy (Audino): This one is interesting, because Helena is the one who is considered to be Joy's Trainer. This would only really work if Keith were to lend his Key Stone to Helena, and I gotta say, I'm not hating the idea.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #18
Emp
Volcano Badge

I prefer new evolutions, and I kind of think Mega Evolution has dashed our chances of giving a lot of Pokémon (Saybleye, Mawile) a natural evolution. I say natural because, to me, Mega Evolution seems a bit like a mutation. You would never see a wild Mega Blastoise or Mega Blaziken - and as soon as they're done fighting, they're back to normal. It just seems like a Gen VI feature (almost said gimmick, but I don’t want to sound anti-mega) at the moment, I’m sure the longer it exists the more I will warm to it as a part of the Pokémon canon.

I’m not too bothered either way. I think if Mega Stones were introduced to FB, I’d want to be one of the first to acquire one. I don’t think it would affect my roleplaying experience too much – but then again it could make an adventure that bit more epic.

I would only use it in a severe disadvantage, so versus a horde of enemies, a legendary Pokémon or another Mega Pokémon. I think that it would take away from the fun of roleplaying if you used it to steamroll your foes.

I would say the same level of rarity as a fossil. Not a fossil Pokémon, a fossil. I’ve only seen a small handful given out at the end of adventures. I also think they should be available as an Updater Reward, although maybe ones for rare Pokémon like pseudo legendaries should be zone only. A problem with FB is that a lot of Pokémon can take years and years and years to catch, so I wouldn't really want that problem to transcend over to Mega Stones.

Hayward and Mega Medicham. I’m sure he’s off meditating on some lone mountain with Medéo achieving enlightenment right now :')

I thought about this at length and I think they should be under the same umbrella as UPC Pokémon and Evolutions. If you can create a fake UPC evolution like Toxeon, you should be able to create a fake UPC Mega Evolution. That way, people who would rather not encounter a non-canon Mega evo aren’t forced to (unless their updater wants to introduce one in an adventure, which again I have no problem with as long as it made sense in the plot e.g. an evil scientist force induces mega evolution on Milotic which is successful, but subsequently causes havok. People encounter Pokémon zombies and all sorts of non-canon things in adventures).

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 12-18-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

When I asked you guys:
the bit in the parentheses was there to encourage answers about the rarity of Mega Stones within the RPed universe of Fizzy Bubbles, not within the meta universe of the Fizzy Bubbles game forum. While I think it's important to weigh in on how common or rare we think FB game elements ought to be, I would really prefer to hear you guys give some consideration to how rare you think the stones ought to be in-universe.

In case it still isn't clear what I mean by this, I am asking you to consider the following cases:
  1. Mega Evolution is something spoken of only in legends, and even then only known by very few. No one has seen Mega Evolution occur in over 1,000 years. That is ... until you and your partner Pokémon came along.
  2. Mega Evolution is pretty rare but by no means unheard of. Roughly 1 in every 1,000 trainers has a Pokémon partner who can mega evolve.
  3. Mega Evolution is incredibly common. Roughly 1 out of every 5 trainers can assist a partner Pokémon in mega evolving. An adolescent who has not witnessed Mega Evolution first-hand is almost unheard of. Most households have at least one parent or grandparent who can help a Pokémon to mega evolve.
These three hypothetical scenarios illustrate different headcanon takes on the commonness (or the rarity) of Mega Evolution in the Fizzy Bubbles Pokémon world. You may have a certain headcanon about how rare or common Key Stones and Mega Stones are meant to be. Your updater may have a different headcanon about it. I'm curious to know what your personally preferred take is on the in-universe rarity of Mega Stones. For example, if a trainer (i.e. the character you RP, not you yourself IRL) wishes to obtain a Mawilite (specifically), then in universe how long should it take him/her? A couple of hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? A lifetime of effort? How easy or difficult is it exactly for trainers to obtain Mega Stones?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As a supporting question to the above, something else you might want to answer for yourself: what are your thoughts on the in-universe differences in rarity between different Mega Stones? Do you think that all Mega Stones are equally rare? Or do you think that certain ones of them are rarer than others? For example, is a Salamencite as easy to come by as a Mawilite? Is a Mawilite as easy to come by as a Manectrite? Again, I'm not asking about out-of-universe rarity tiers, i.e. I'm not asking about whether the FB staff should artificially make certain ones of the stones harder to obtain than others. (Though if you'd like to discuss that point, then I certainly can't stop you.) What I'm asking you is, is there any difference in-universe between one Mega Stone type and another?

This question is probably less important to those of you who feel that all Mega Stones (or Mega Evolution) period lean towards the rare side of things. But for those of you who answered my question(s) above and leaned towards the common side, this question provides an extra dimension to characterize your answer. For instance, I could see some of you saying, "Well, I think that Audinite pretty much litters the cumulus fields of the Cloud Garden, being literally as common as dirt there, but Sablenite is something that no living person has any recollection of seeing in the Cloud Garden, it's so rare." And then I could see others of you saying, "No, they're all equally common, and they're all incredibly common."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Special thanks to those of you who did note my original request and answered the question accordingly. It was noticed and appreciated.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #20
Rakurai
Boulder Badge

I'd probably go with the "rare, but not unheard of" view.

As they're said to basically be evolution stones that have been transformed by a strange energy, I think it would be reasonable to assume that one could ascertain a location where it would be more likely to find one and search there.
Rakurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #21
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>Ask how rare something should be in-universe
>Everyone says how rare it should be in-universe
>Wrong

Maybe you should be more clear with that in future, Talon.

Anyway I'd say somewhere between headcanons B and C. Not ridiculously rare but not hilariously common either. Maybe 1 in... 200 trainers? As for the rarity of Mega Stones, I still think they should be pretty rare and equally so, being found in areas that correspond with the habitat of their owners. So Phantom Isle would have Gengarite, Banettite and Sablenite, Cortoza would have Cameruptite and the Charizardites, etc.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
>Ask how rare something should be in-universe
>Everyone says how rare it should be in-universe
>Wrong

Maybe you should be more clear with that in future, Talon.
I didn't think the term "in-universe" was something understood only by a few people. Given your retort just now, I was apparently mistaken. Because no, Dave, the majority of people did not provide answers for in-universe rarity. They provided answers for out-of-universe rarity, its very opposite. By way of example, explaining the difference:
  • In universe, a character spends the majority of the final arc of the story offscreen because he is incarcerated. Out of universe, it's because his actor died at the end of Season 2.
  • In universe, a longtime character has always been gay but the others just didn't know it. Out of universe, the character wasn't conceived of as being gay until pressure from the fandom motivated the author to establish a gay character in her story.
  • In universe, two years have passed since the start of the tale. Out of universe, it's been seven years (since the time the first book hit store shelves).
  • In universe, the story is set in Tokyo because Tokyo just so happens to be the epicenter of the planet's lifeforce. Out of universe, it's because the story is written by a Japanese author for a primarily Japanese audience.
Hopefully this distinction makes clear why most of the answers were not, in fact, answers that broached the topic of in-universe rarity. Very few people actually discussed why they felt Mega Stones should be common or rare within the world of Fizzy Bubbles, instead focusing their answers on why Mega Stones should be common or rare within the game of Fizzy Bubbles.

I think the latter is still an important discussion. It's just not the discussion I wanted to promote. I outlined in the very beginning that people can use this thread to discuss whatever they feel like, but I think you must understand the frustration of having people quote your question again and again and again (sometimes with the clarifying clause in place too!) and yet still no one very few people answer it correctly. If you don't want to answer a question I ask of you, it's fine, but please don't not answer it while saying you're answering it. ^_^;
Old 12-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #23
Emp
Volcano Badge

In that case it's very disjointed from the rest of your questionnaire, hence why the majority of your respondents answered it wrong context.

I still imagine they would be as rare as fossils. Wes may have read about them on the internet, but no one in his circle of friends and family would have ever owned or even touched one. They would exist in museums and be scattered around the world, but I'd imagine the chances of coming into possession of one would be extraordinary. A small proportion of wealthy families would pass them down as heirlooms, so I'd imagine they're an in-universe equivalent to a one-of-a-kind antique (around Ł10k+ in value)

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
Stark
Rainbow Badge

I meant to answer this earlier. Sorry for the wait. I like to think that Mega Stones would fall into a legend and myth type of situation for most people in the world of FB. There might be some rumors that exist, but most people have not really encountered the stones or anyone who has used one. Emp hit a few thoughts I had as well on the subject as far as you might see one in a museum or its possible that one could be passed down as an heirloom. I would imagine that if anyone in game here saw a pokemon Mega Evolve, they would be quite surprised and perhaps even a bit confused about what just happened.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #25
Emp
Volcano Badge

So based off of a plot revelation in the ORAS post game, I’d like to discuss something which might be best placed here. Spoilers ahead.

The delta episode reveals that ORAS takes place in a parallel universe to that of the original Ruby and Sapphire games – with the key difference being that AZ’s ultimate weapon was never created in that universe and mega evolution never existed. This means that rather than giving us a retcon to explain mega evolution (like games/remakes in the past have done when introducing new Pokémon) they created a separate timeline. Now,

Mega evolution doesn’t exist yet in the world of FB. How do you see its introduction being handled?
I imagine mega stones will just be retconned into the existence of FB, and I'll have to pretend like my character always knew about them in his previous adventures. However I really like the parallel universe theory as an explanation for mega stones never existing in the past. I’d love if there was a campaign based around a similar weapon to the ones used in the game, which ultimately tears a hole into space-time and sends FB into the universe where mega stones always existed.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out