UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Help please!

I was watching a video on my ipad with headphones in and I accidentally dropped it. A bit of the headphone broke off inside and I tried to remove it using superglue and a q-tip with an end cut off. I think I used too much glue though. The piece is still in and now there is glue too. I need to remove the glue and the headphone piece. I need advice ASAP! If my mom finds out I am dead.

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
If my mom finds out I am dead.
Buddy, I'm sorry to break it to you but it's more of a question of when than if. My condolences.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah no you're fucked. I'd say the only course of action is to proactively establish whether it's under warrantee and have it sent off for repair - at least you can claim the "responsible for my own actions" defence when your parents attempt to murder you.

Though if you put superglue in it... not so likely to be covered.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I was thinking about carefully drilling out the glue.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The glue problem: Is the outlet covered with congealed glue? Or is there congealed glue inside of the jack? If it's the latter, I think you're out of luck. If it's the former (emphasis: zero glue inside of the actual hole, only glue that is covering the outside), then you could probably use some sort of solvent to clear away the glue. (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PUT SOLVENT INSIDE OF THE JACK! You risk converting $80 worth of damage into $200+ worth of damage.) Acetone (a.k.a. nail polish remover) is a common enough solvent in most family households and should do the job just fine. Stick a Q-tip end into a capful of acetone and then lightly dab the surface, dissolving the super glue. Have Kleenex at the ready and dab up the acetone+superglue solution. Rinse and repeat until all the glue is again. Repeating for emphasis: DO NOT PLACE ACETONE *INSIDE OF* THE ACTUAL JACK! You risk ruining any number of components inside there.

EDIT: Just saw your newest post. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STICK A DRILL INTO THE JACK, WHAT ARE YOU, RETARDED!? -_-; Look, I know you're desperate to fix this without getting caught, but you've already taken a fuck up and made it ten times worse with the super glue. No point in making it one hundred times worse by destroying the fucking audio jack with a drill. -_-;

EDIT 2: Also worth pointing out that YOU MUSTN'T LET THE ACETONE GET ANYWHERE NEAR THE TOUCH SCREEN. I've no idea what the touch screen is exactly made out of but I wouldn't want you to risk anything and would be 0% surprised if it turns out that acetone eats right through that shit. Really ... you probably should not be messing around with this. Quit being a dolt and just explain to your mother and/or father what has happened.

The headphone plug problem: Depending on your circumstances it may be impossible to remove without disassembly. (And disassembling the iPad is something best left to the professionals.) However, it seems like there are a lot of do-it-yourself suggestions online, including:
  • the stupid super glue tactic (so much room for error -_-; )
  • a ballpoint pen tactic (where you use the ink column inside the pen to remove the broken-off headphone piece)
  • a heated needle tactic (where you heat up the tip of a needle over an open flame for like 20 seconds, stick it into the broken piece of headphone, let it cool down for 30 seconds (they say; I'd play it safer and recommend several minutes), and then remove needle + headphone jack piece.
  • other
You could try any of these, but I wouldn't advise it. Realistically, I'd advise telling your parents what happened and leaving it to them to decide whether they want to try a DIY approach to fixing it or whether they want to shell out $80+ to some repair guy who will get it out for them.

Last edited by Talon87; 10-29-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Acetone will break apart the film which protects the front of the touch screen. You really need to go EXTREMELY LIGHT on the acetone to not let any of it splash onto the screen or it will also begin to peal off.

Although at this point, I would honestly just man up and explain it to your parents that it was an accident and then a poor decision. Accept your punishment and don't destroy the IPad, which will probably cost more to re-buy than to repair. They be more willing to forgive if you come straight to them rather than hide it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just saw this on Imgur. Figured I'd cross post it here instead of the Going to Hell thread since it seems somewhat relevant.

Don't ever put a phone inside of a microwave. It will open a portal to Hell.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Mercutio
Banned

Lol wtf.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Just saw this on Imgur. Figured I'd cross post it here instead of the Going to Hell thread since it seems somewhat relevant.

Don't ever put a phone inside of a microwave. It will open a portal to Hell.
That can't be real, right? The face with a mouth moving is too accurate.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Not to self. Don't melt the glue with the microwave.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
It's fake.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pretty sure it's fake, yes. If it's not, that's an uncanny coincidence that the chemicals behaved in such a way as to look to human eyes like a head gnashing its jaws. But yeah, pretty sure it's an elaborate fake. One mundane tipoff is ...

Spoiler: show
The fact that it's a microwave with a rotating glass platter on the bottom but its platter isn't rotating. It should be rotating if the microwave is turned on. And we can see it's capable of movement as it ever so slightly rotates when the head rotates. Suggests that the bottom of the microwave was cut out and that the puppeteer, with his hand stuck through the hole in the center, rotated the platter slightly when he moved the puppet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc