UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 03-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar
The Official "Suggest Wii Games to Joe!" Thread!

^^ Exactly what it says on the tin...tle.

Tintle.

...Title. >>;

Right, so after my exams are all done with, I'm buying a Wii. :O Problem is, I dunno what games to get. Well, except one.

So far, I've figured out that I'm gonna get Excite Truck, because I've loved that game since I first saw it. Takes me back to the good ol' days of Excite Bike 64. :P

Also, before anybody suggests Zelda, don't. xD I'm not gonna get it for two reasons;

1) I suck at Zelda. xfd
2) I'll probably get it on the GC, since it r cheapor.

So, any suggestions? >>;
Old 03-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Re: The Official "Suggest Wii Games to Joe!" Thread!

Huh, GC version is cheaper? Huh.

Get Super Paper Mario, PBR, Smash Bros.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
ForeverFlygon
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to ForeverFlygon

Excite Bike 64 rawked. I wish more would play motorcross football with me =/

Anyways, like 'suke and Becki'd say, get WarioWare. I am, and it looks awsome. Actually, I'm getting it tomorrow, if I have the money. Seems like awsome fun to me, and it supports multiplayer. Other than that, Raving Rabbids is the only game that has interested me, because the good games havnen't been released yet. That is, aside from all the games that have already been mentioned here.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Sylar
Cascade Badge

AF: Ooh, Super Paper Mario, completely forgot about that. :O Will probably get PBR at a later date, probably '08, and Smash Bros is a given. :P

FF: Hmm, not so sure about Wario Ware. Got it on GBA, then again on DS, and I know it's different with the Wiimote, but I'd probably get bored of it. =\ Probably still get it, but I'd get others first.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
GrJackass
Night Man

metal slug anthology is always a good recommendation, one of my favorite arcade games all together on one disc for only 40 bucks, completly worth it

ive tried elebits, its pretty ok, i concider it to be ghost busters the video game, try renting it to see if you like it but its worth a look

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
GrJackass
Night Man

red steal is not as bad as everyone says. people say its super laggy at times, but thats only when you pass by a check point and usually there is nothing attacking you at those.
the controls are a bit wierder that any other wiimote based game
i wouldnt say buy it, but its definatly worth a rental or buying it used for 30 bucks like i did
i would rate it a 2.5/5 - smack in the middle

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
Old 03-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
GrJackass
Night Man

wow i just looked at all my posts on this thread, what a wishy washy ass i am

Old 03-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos

If you enjoy shooters, Call of Duty 3 is INTENSE!!!
Now, I'm no hardcore shooter, but I got it for xmas and was like, meh ww2 shooter, meh
So I tried it out...
HOLY SHIT
It was probably the most freakin intense shooter I have played.
It takes a bit to get used to the Wii, but once you get it down, this game is fun.

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #9
GrJackass
Night Man

grab wii play, its a must have and its technically free because its 50 dollars and it comes with a free controller which the controller alone is worth 50 dollars

its basically an extention to wii sports with 7 or 9 additional games, but all are two player and they all only require the wii motes, no nun chucks. this still is good at parties if you go with the rules of, winner stays on, and the new comer gets to chose the game. i might enforce a new rule restricting the newcomer from picking the same game over and over because hes ridiculously good at it

games include
duck hunt - very good
mii matching - love it or leave it game, i personally like it, everyone else seems to hate it, its a game where you have to pick two look a likes in various situations (standing, walking, spinning, in the dark), find the fastes mii and so on
bubble matching - pretty stupid game where you have to match a position and put your mii in the bubble
table tennis - pretty good game, kinda sucks when your on top but it works
pong- also really good, more like air hockey cause you can twist the paddle and cant pass the mid point of the screen. and the ball progressivly gets faster as you play (same goes for the table tennis)
billiards - love it or leave it game also, kinda boring if you can play actual pool, but its kinda interesting to try once or twice
fishing - stupid
racing- its pretty cool, it looks like you control your cow (i dont know why not a horse) the same way you control sonic in the secret rings game. thought distance means nothing you have to gain points by crashing into scarecrows and jumping over hurdles
tanks- hmmmmm sucks as a two player game, one player its somewhat interesting but intrest fades fast

and this game isnt only fun two player, the medal system (similar to the wii sports training thing) keeps it interesting for single player also. so far its the most played game i have, a definite must have

just to sum up my reviews ( and to make them more definative instead of wishy washy)
wii play - grab it if you see it, compliments wii sports nicely
red steel - good rental, not really worth buying, although i havent tried the multi player mode
elebits - if you liked katamari damashi, then this is a good recommendation
metal slug anthology - great arcade classic, all editions of the game of the low price of 40 bucks makes this a great deal. must have a game cube controller to actually enjoy the game cause the wii mote sucks for any regular console gameplay

Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 AM   #10
Sylar
Cascade Badge

w00t, officially got my Wii now. ^^ Came yesterday. Got it for Ă‚ÂŁ270 with WiiPlay + Remote, Warioware and SonicSecretRings. So far, only played WiiPlay and WiiSports, and I've got to say, I really wish the exam period was over so I can play some more. ;-; *is addicted to Tennis* xd
Old 06-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Enjoy the honeymoon while it lasts.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Don't be a pessimist, Talon. The Wii is really, really awesome.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, because it has all those killer apps! Big Brain Academy ... Wii Sports ... I mean, who could ever get tired of monotonous mini-games packaged up for $50 like these?

Seriously, let's talk when Metroid Prime 3 comes out later this fall and proves that it isn't as horrible as Red Steel. If MP3 proves to be as bad as Red Steel, the jig could be up for the Wii. Why? Because it would basically send the message, "Yeah, one of our console's killer apps ... in fact, the only Nintendo property which has consistently embraced first-person shooting since 2003 ... has just tanked majorly. In other words, our flagship shooter couldn't pull it off. Meaning that you can count any 3rd party shooters out of the running right now." And so the Wii loses all of its potential shooter-fan market. And not just shooters who were hoping for pinpoint accuracy and motion-sensitive controls, no: the Wii would also immediately lose every single Star Wars Kid who has yet to buy a Wii, since you can bet your bottom dollar that if the Wii can't fucking handle making a pistol shoot straight, it sure as hell can't accurately interpret the motion of your Wiimote in the real world and translate it over, move for move, into the digital world of lightsaber swashbuckling.

For now, the Wii has proven to be little more than an overpriced mini-games festival. This is coming from a guy who's overly pessimistic about every single console this generation. XBox 360, overpriced and not much of a step up. PS3, way overpriced and a P.O.S. Wii, properly priced, but doesn't do what Reggie promised. "Revolution" my ass. I've seen 1990s arcade shooters with better accuracy than the Wiimote has. No excuses!

So you don't misunderstand me, I am one of the said Star Wars Kids. I would happily buy a Wii for a realistic Star Wars lightsaber game. This is why I am watching the success (or failure) of MP3 and other Wii shooters very closely. Because like I said, making a shooter work is one thing -- it involves pinpoint accuracy at the time of firing. Any other hand errata can be brushed off as "impossible to program around." But said errata are incredibly detrimental to the success of a sword-wielding game since you need to parry, you need to guard, and all around you need to maintain constant contact with the enemy's sword at all times, and so we can't have this bullshit nonsense of "my realworld hand is staying still but my ingame hand is moving to the right and to the left a little bit ... whoops! Slipped! Oops, there goes my head!" It's a pain in the ass in Red Steel when you aim straight for somebody's head and the bullet ends up swerving off to the right by a meter, and if that problem is still in MP3, then as far as I'm concerned, the Wii is a big pile of shit. Every time I've played, it has been really inaccurate. Aggravatingly so. And like I said ... if Area 51 and Virtua Shooter titles have been around since the 1990s and had amazing accuracy, there's no excuse for the Year 2006 Wii to be any different.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

In Wiiplay the shooting game is pretty darned accurate. Also, as hard as it may be for you to believe, people like games other than FPS :O. They've already showed some nice sword programming with Twilight Princess, and you'd be surprised how sensitive it is.

Red Steel was just a PoS from everything I've heard, so don't read too much into it. The bow/slingshot sequences in LoZ are nice, and as it's a launch title I don't think Metroid will have any problems producing superior results in the areas you're concerned with.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muyo
Also, as hard as it may be for you to believe, people like games other than FPS :O.
Despite your uncannily good memory at times (Pobblebonk, this), you're way off the mark here. Here's a list of FPSes I own: Halo, Call of Duty, Metroid Prime. Here's a list of FPSes I really enjoyed: Metroid Prime. And why is MP all by itself? Because unlike most FPSes, MP has a good story and a lot of fun exploration. Most FPSes utterly fail and have horrible exploration (too easy or too hard) and are all about gun upgrades. Urg.

I guess technically "Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast" is an FPS + 3PS, but I always played it in third-person, and I never used anything but the lightsaber the moment I first got my hands on it.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #16
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Red Steels shit in general. Seriously, that's not a proper portrayal of a Wii game. It's just a delayed GC game with tacked-on-motion stuff. >>

Even though I only played for 10 mins in a shop. xfd

Anyway, Talon, what. the. fuck. If MP3 fails, do you really think the Wii will just suddenly go out of business? Oo; Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, hell, even Donkey Jet's gonna rock the console. Like Muyo said, other genres. And also also like Muyo said, the Wiimote is so fucking accurate. You can literally shoot down 5 targets in 2 seconds if you've got good hand-eye co-ordo.

Edit: Written before above post. xfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
It's a pain in the ass in Red Steel when you aim straight for somebody's head and the bullet ends up swerving off to the right by a meter, and if that problem is still in MP3, then as far as I'm concerned, the Wii is a big pile of shit.
Two words. Lock. On. Here's my take on how it's gonna work. To actually look on, you'd have to point at your enemy, but after that, it's locked until kill or press 2 button or something. They wouldn't fuck up the game movement-wise, since Nintendo know that people don't have unnaturally steady hands.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #17
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Having played on the Wii console at Gr's house a few times, I have to admit it's quite fun. And randomly running around in Red Steel trying to shoot one another is not as fun as Counter-Strike, but it's not awful. We had lots of random killings xd.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 AM   #18
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Quote:
Also, as hard as it may be for you to believe, people like games other than FPS :O.
Despite your uncannily good memory at times (Pobblebonk, this), you're way off the mark here. Here's a list of FPSes I own: Halo, Call of Duty, Metroid Prime. Here's a list of FPSes I really enjoyed: Metroid Prime. And why is MP all by itself? Because unlike most FPSes, MP has a good story and a lot of fun exploration. Most FPSes utterly fail and have horrible exploration (too easy or too hard) and are all about gun upgrades. Urg.

I guess technically "Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast" is an FPS + 3PS, but I always played it in third-person, and I never used anything but the lightsaber the moment I first got my hands on it.
This is you saying FPS aren't that important to a consoles success.

Quote:
Yeah, because it has all those killer apps! Big Brain Academy ... Wii Sports ... I mean, who could ever get tired of monotonous mini-games packaged up for $50 like these?

Seriously, let's talk when Metroid Prime 3 comes out later this fall and proves that it isn't as horrible as Red Steel. If MP3 proves to be as bad as Red Steel, the jig could be up for the Wii. Why? Because it would basically send the message, "Yeah, one of our console's killer apps ... in fact, the only Nintendo property which has consistently embraced first-person shooting since 2003 ... has just tanked majorly. In other words, our flagship shooter couldn't pull it off. Meaning that you can count any 3rd party shooters out of the running right now." And so the Wii loses all of its potential shooter-fan market. And not just shooters who were hoping for pinpoint accuracy and motion-sensitive controls, no: the Wii would also immediately lose every single Star Wars Kid who has yet to buy a Wii, since you can bet your bottom dollar that if the Wii can't fucking handle making a pistol shoot straight, it sure as hell can't accurately interpret the motion of your Wiimote in the real world and translate it over, move for move, into the digital world of lightsaber swashbuckling.

For now, the Wii has proven to be little more than an overpriced mini-games festival. This is coming from a guy who's overly pessimistic about every single console this generation. XBox 360, overpriced and not much of a step up. PS3, way overpriced and a P.O.S. Wii, properly priced, but doesn't do what Reggie promised. "Revolution" my ass. I've seen 1990s arcade shooters with better accuracy than the Wiimote has. No excuses!

So you don't misunderstand me, I am one of the said Star Wars Kids. I would happily buy a Wii for a realistic Star Wars lightsaber game. This is why I am watching the success (or failure) of MP3 and other Wii shooters very closely. Because like I said, making a shooter work is one thing -- it involves pinpoint accuracy at the time of firing. Any other hand errata can be brushed off as "impossible to program around." But said errata are incredibly detrimental to the success of a sword-wielding game since you need to parry, you need to guard, and all around you need to maintain constant contact with the enemy's sword at all times, and so we can't have this bullshit nonsense of "my realworld hand is staying still but my ingame hand is moving to the right and to the left a little bit ... whoops! Slipped! Oops, there goes my head!" It's a pain in the ass in Red Steel when you aim straight for somebody's head and the bullet ends up swerving off to the right by a meter, and if that problem is still in MP3, then as far as I'm concerned, the Wii is a big pile of shit. Every time I've played, it has been really inaccurate. Aggravatingly so. And like I said ... if Area 51 and Virtua Shooter titles have been around since the 1990s and had amazing accuracy, there's no excuse for the Year 2006 Wii to be any different.
This is you ranting about FPS, and how Nintendo is doomed this gen if Metroid Prime fails.

So, basically, you're just saying that because you enjoy Metroid Prime, the console is going to fail if MP3 isn't good (Also that you want a Star Wars game where you can actually swing around a lightsaber). One of Nintendo's historic strengths is its multiple big name franchises. I think that since MP3 is the second of these franchises to be wiileased, and it is going in the realm of Microsoft's biggest franchise, it could be a defining moment in the life of this console. However, to consider the Wii a failure if MP3 doesn't blow everyone away is jumping the gun considerably. Mario Galaxy, Starfox, Smash Brothers, Pokemon Battle Revolution (a bit of a stretch), and other titles will have just as much impact on the overall success of the Wii as MP3.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #19
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Pokemon Battle Revolution (a bit of a stretch)
Not necessarily. Even though the fad died long ago, there are still a lot of people who show at least a decent level of interest in the games and such that PBR has a good chance of succeeding as a driving force in the Wii's lineup.

More proof? Look here.

And Smooth Moves is fun. *nodnod*

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
So, basically, you're just saying that because you enjoy Metroid Prime, the console is going to fail if MP3 isn't good
Noooo (annoyed), what I'm saying is something like this:

The movies Fellowship of the Ring, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, and Pearl Harbor are all coming to the theaters this season. Even though they're produced by different studios, directors, and casts, they all use the same special effects technology courtesy of Industrial Light & Magic (ILM). Of these films, Harry Potter comes out first in November, followed by the other two in December. Since all three will heavily rely on special effects, the early release of Harry Potter makes it a good chance to see what the quality of movie magic in 2001 is.

So I go to see Harry Potter, let's say, and I go, "Oh wow! This movie magic sucks! :x The CG is so bad! There are so many artifacts from the green-screening process that didn't get removed! And the lighting is all wrong for the CG items! What a bummer! :x" Would it not be reasonable, I patiently ask of you, to conclude that LotR and Pearl Harbor will also be CG disappointment? Like I said, the movies are done by different companies using different scripts and directors and staffs, but the CG quality threshold is identical for all three enterprises. (Just like how three different video games done by different 3rd parties are all limited by the same physical power + current level of programming knowhow in 2007 with the Wii!) Yes, a game could come along for the Wii in 2009 or 2010 that pushes the console to the limit and impresses with pinpoint accuracy, but the point is, if Metroid drops the ball, then it doesn't look good for Smash Brothers or Mario.

OF COURSE I will be happy if Smash Bros. and Mario succeed despite Metroid failing. In no way do I think "it's Metroid or bust." I didn't even purchase MP2, because I thought it didn't live up to its predecessor. All I was saying is, "If MP3 is a sharpshooter's nightmare due to the Wiimote and the Wii not agreeing on the motion-sensing interpretation, then you can kiss a huge chunk of the market good-bye ... unless, by some miracle, Nintendo pulls it together with another title which says, 'Look, Metroid was a mistake, but we fixed it '." But I don't think such a thing is realistic. Metroid Prime 3 has been in development for years, it's probably the most in-development shooter yet to come out besides Halo 3. If MP3 fails, then I'm saying that I'm calling this party a bust early and cashing in my chips. Of course I could be wrong. But I doubt it. MP3 succeeds, it bodes well for the future titles' quality, too. MP3 fails, it bodes ill for the future titles' quality.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #21

I sometimes think that Talon needs to get out more. Everything based on factual evidence will eventually drive you crazy.

Zelda FTW.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #22
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Quote:
The movies Fellowship of the Ring, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, and Pearl Harbor are all coming to the theaters this season. Even though they're produced by different studios, directors, and casts, they all use the same special effects technology courtesy of Industrial Light & Magic (ILM). Of these films, Harry Potter comes out first in November, followed by the other two in December. Since all three will heavily rely on special effects, the early release of Harry Potter makes it a good chance to see what the quality of movie magic in 2001 is.
Everybody knows Pearl Harbor sucks anyway. And JK Rowling is English, therefore, Philosopher's Stone. >>

Also, yesterday, I finally played on Wario Ware: Smooth Moves...for 3 hours straight. o.o It's such an AWESOME game. xfd I thought I'd been playing about an hour but then noticed it was 11pm and was like "That's not right Oo;"
Old 06-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi
Quote:
Pokemon Battle Revolution (a bit of a stretch)
Not necessarily. Even though the fad died long ago, there are still a lot of people who show at least a decent level of interest in the games and such that PBR has a good chance of succeeding as a driving force in the Wii's lineup.
PBR is a stretch because it's not exactly going to inspire new people to pick it up. Pokemon people will buy it. Non pokemon people will not.

Quote:
If MP3 proves to be as bad as Red Steel, the jig could be up for the Wii.
This is what you say.
Quote:
So, basically, you're just saying that because you enjoy Metroid Prime, the console is going to fail if MP3 isn't good
This is what I say. Some think they're connected.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Muyo refuses to acknowledge he missed the logical boat, so I'm ignoring him from here on out. On to Joe ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
Quote:
Everybody knows Pearl Harbor sucks anyway.
lol, true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
And JK Rowling is English, therefore, Philosopher's Stone. >>
And Warner Bros. is an American film company, therefore, Sorceror's Stone >>.

Yeah, I don't like it any more than you do, but (lightly) fuck off if you're trying to tell me I got the MOVIE'S name wrong. No. I could get the BOOK's name wrong if I had done some assinine Yankee thing like that, but the film IS American and its AMERICAN name is (sadly) what's official. Even IMDB agrees, pointing out that while the International title is Philosopher's with the exception of the USA, it is (sadly) the American title which gets the official slot for IMDB's index.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #25
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichimaru
I sometimes think that Talon needs to get out more.
Quoted for truth.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games