UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #51
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box 2: secret passions unveiled

I started watching Kaiji 14, but I have to leave pretty soon. As a little teaser, I thought I'd upload this image cap from before the halfway point. It's completely non-spoiler (all it shows is Kaiji's face), but it's a pretty awesome incentive to get your butts into gear to download this. Not like one single one of us doesn't already download Kaiji immediately upon finding out it's out.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7438/vlc25848xl8.jpg

By the way ... just reached the commercial break, HOLY FUCKING SHIT. You won't believe what happens by 11 minutes 0 seconds. ......... this is just too much. *goes to dinner, then study, and will be back later tonight*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #52
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I has watched episode one of Wolf and Spice =D I enjoyed it pretty thoroughly, but there was this one part that just irked me, and that was when Horo transformed. They just skipped to the next scene! I mean, what the hell? I thought my computer was ****ing up on me at first. They could've added something that would of pointed to a scene skip rather than just skipping. I was about to hit my computer @_@.

Err..I will watch Kaiji whenever. Iz gotz to watch more Oh! Edo Rocket as well.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #53
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished Kaiji 14. Thoughts, worded in a non-spoiler way.

I'm amazed at the reality of Kaiji's character development. I think this episode had two important speeches:

1- the speech Tonegawa gives to his henchman about how "hopefully, even if this is a really extreme way of going about it, our contest will change one of these men for the better." It doesn't change the fact that Tonegawa is sick fuck who gets glee from watching men struggle for their lives, but it does at least show that (somewhere in his sick mind) he respects "the self-made man," and he does seem to harbor some genuine hope that one of these "pieces of trash" will become a solid man.

2- the speech that Ishida gives Kaiji. Hooooooly shit.

There were a lot of other important moments which I won't discuss since they'd spoil stuff, but I do think that these two speeches were probably the two most influential events that helped to further sculpt Kaiji's character and how we (as audience members) view Kaiji. Especially that first speech -- sure, Kaiji didn't get to hear it, but he is himself living Tonegawa's message, and we as audience members are left to marvel at that.

Looking forward to Episode 15. Looks like it should be the last of the "human derby" episodes.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #54
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What the fuck. I tried voting for Yuuichi and Allelujah just now in Saigar, and here's what happened ...

1- I waited an hour for my code.
2- I got my code, like usual.
3- I looked over the choices. Normally, I vote right away, but this time, I did some research before deciding on who to pick on the right column.
4- When I voted, it told me, "Sorry. The code you entered has not been generated this round, and is therefore invalid. Please click here to get a new code."
5- When I clicked the link, it just showed me my old code again. Okaaaaay ...
6- I typed it in again, voted again, and got the same error message.
7- This time after I clicked on the link, it showed my old code for 0.5 seconds, and then it was replaced with a completely new code. Good!
8- Except when I typed it in, it still didn't work.
9- In fact, I was told this : IP Check Failed. Sorry, the your [sic] IP address doesn't match the IP address that requested the vote code. Your vote has not been counted. If you have not requeted [sic] your own voting code, you may do so HERE.

Fuck you, Saigar. I'm just going to pass on this round because I don't want my IP to be banned. But if it has been banned, then fuck you, Saigar, times two.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #55
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

That sometimes happens. It's usually a problem when someone has dual IP's and resets their computer - SaiGar displays the code for the old IP, but double checks the new IP and realizes it doesn't match with the code, so it denies submission.

Refreshing the page multiple times until the current code appears is typically the solution. I only had that problem once last year on my home computer, but ran into it several times when voting on public machines.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Solved it. The font they're using causes lowercase L to look identical to Arabic numeral 1. I typed '1' (one) and it should have been 'l' (L).

In other news, iichan's /a/ seems to have disabled bumping of threads via text-only replies as well as replies w/ image attachments. In other words ... threads aren't bumping anymore. Found this out while bitching in the Saigar thread.

EDIT: In my defense, the character has a leftward-pointing serif on the top. In other words ... like the capital letter T without the right half of the "hat." Or like ] without the bottom-left extension. Honestly, in almost all typographies, that character would be considered a 1 (one), and the l (L) would be a straight line with no serif of any kind. I mean, seriously -- who the fuck puts a serif on a lowercase l and doesn't put the bottom serif on the number 1? (the bottom serif being what you see in UPN's standard font here)

So ... they ought to fix that. They're using a poor font if the character is universally agreed upon to be a 1 and yet it's supposed to actually be an l according to them.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #57
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ahh, the "l/I" issue. I had troubles with that as well in the past.

Also, watched the first six episodes of Baccano!. Can't say much since I'm still at school, but I will say that I saw those six last night and like WordsWorth I couldn't stop watching because I couldn't wait to see where the train was going to wreck*.

*There's a double entendre here.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #58
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Just finished Baccano!. I have no idea on how I'm supposed to rate this show. Certainly, it gets at least an "Outstanding", though I'm also leaning toward "Flawed Masterpiece" but i can't find anything wrong with it. So, another Masterpiece to my collection?!

I'll watch Kaiji when I wake up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #59
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

w00t!! Clannad is subbed. =D After two painful weeks with no Clannad, it is finally here. Now I will have to wait until it's uploaded. I DID download that episode, but my god damn computer wouldn't play it properly. I will tell my thoughts when I watch it. I will also watch Kaiji after that.

I have been currently reading something called Silent Sinners in Blue. So far, I ish satisfied. I just have to find a place to download the last chapters ;_;
Old 01-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #60
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'll watch Kaiji now, but I have a feeling I know what's going to happen since I've been the one supplying spoilers to Wikipedia. The Chinese fellow stopped giving them when Yotsuba started bombing spoilers left and right, and I'll only be putting up stuff slowly from now on.

Also, I've settled on a rating for Baccano!, so here's my review.

Speak-easies? Prohibition? Gangsters? Sounds like a pretty serious title, even if the name of the anime translates to "stupid commotion" (or something along those lines) in Italian. I was execting a hard-line, noir title with lots of action - what I got was an outrageously fast-paced show mixed with everything - mystery, love, action, horror, the works. Animation-wise, pretty good, art-wise even better and fitting of the show. These are all the credentials of a merely "good" possibly "excellent" show, but Baccano! goes beyond that - in the span of thirteen episodes, with a positively huge cast (eight to ten perspectives, rotating every six or eight minutes each episode) there was extraordinary character development, all wrapped in a rich collection of un-related side-stories and backgrounds which gradually merged and formed a coherent time-line. The direction style is unique; it's something I've never seen before, though some people have claimed they've seen it in some American films of the rag-time era. The fanservice is almost non-existant, and when it's there it's of the favourable (and funny) kind.

Some people claimed they didn't like Baccano!, so I desperately tried to find something bad about the show to give it anything less than a perfect. I can't; even without the benefit of the music, voices, and sound effects (which says a lot about this show - it was amazing even without audio) which hearsay claims is excellent, I could find no flaws in this show. It was the most hypnotic show since Akagi, driving one mad with suspense and rapidly building up internal pressure to watch the next episode and see what happens next, only to blast one in the face with something seemingly un-related at first and rapid switches of viewpoints...really, it's flawless, and could only have been improved if my speakers were working.

Baccano! gets a Masterpiece. One of the best shows I've ever seen.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2484 ... cksgp4.png

Twice in a row. WTF. I even looked at it real close this time and said to myself, "That's gotta be a 1. It has both the top serif and the bottom serif. Maybe the l that I mistook for a 1 yesterday only had the top serif."

Nope. Fucking nope. -_-; That's supposed to be a lowercase L.

Photoproof so I can shoot down anyone who tries to shoot me down for making fun of Saigar's shitty serif font that writes lowercase L as every other font would write a 1.

Anyway, voted for my man Naruto (who I'm hoping, but doubting, will beat Huang) and threw away my other vote for Dante since I know nobody on the right column and am tired of voting for "???" in this dumb contest.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #62
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Nagasumi is the first character I expect to get 1,000+ votes, followed by Lord Genome. At first I thought Dante might be a credible threat, since he's in a show based on a popular game, but after seeing Shark Fujishiro do so well (and Shark is but a minor supporting character) the right column will be a slaughter.

On the left I had more trouble. Madarame is not Gar in any sense of the word; Naruto himself isn't like that either, especially with how comparatively weak he is in spite of three year training with the amazing Jiraiya. I know practically nothing about Huang, so I'll vote on it randomly.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #63
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah. And I love Madarame, too. But I agree: not gar. I voted for Yuuichi despite harboring similar sentiments, and am a little glad that he was defeated, just 'cause I don't think it'd be fair for him to win out over other candidates, knowing he isn't really what "gar" means. (I mean, Hosaka is more "gar" than Yuuichi or Madarame, so I feel less guilty there.)

Updating my anime status to reflect the recent episodes I've seen. Well, I guess I've only seen Kaiji 14. Still haven't watched Wolf & Spice because none of the subs (of the four that are out right now) seems to be just right, although I-Z's seems to be the best from what I could personally tell. Still haven't finished Dragonaut's first episode, despite liking the opening premise and having episodes 1-9 by Sekai on my computer already. Not really in an anime-watchey mood, I guess. Haven't even got the energy to try and watch more Tsubasa or SumomomoMomomo. Basically just waiting on Kaiji, Minamike ~Okawari~, and a dependable Wolf & Spice. Probably will be my new "weekly 3" for this term, with Wolf & Spice replacing Myself;Yourself.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #64
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I went for Yuuichi as well, solely based on his performance in the second anime, though I'm not sure if his personality under-went changes from the first show. If anything, he gets plus points for developing fighting skills, as opposed to K1's muderous bat-bashings which aren't even very powerful, since he's so phyiscally inept.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #65
Talon87
時の彼方へ

See, I've never seen Higurashi, so I have no idea whether or not "Kasey" deserves to win or not. For all I know, he becomes this awesome manly man in S2 or something. Oh well, he'll got hammered if not in Round 2 then in Round 3. If he's as weak as you say he is, no amount of Higurashi-shipping can save him. (Same can be said for Hosaka + the Minami-ke horde [including me! :P ;)] or for Andou and the ANDOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU horde.)

Speaking of which ... don't vote for Andou. @_@ I'll be voting for Buttercup (Kaoru), but if you guys know and/or want to vote for the other guy, be my guest.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #66
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

K1 is very charismatic, like Kamina and Furukawa Akio. I'm not sure if the Japanese have invented terms for characters like this yet, like how Yandere replaced "Oyashiro-mode" a year or two back when Kaede from Shuffle!'s psychotic persona became more popular. But, Kamina, K1 and Akio are passionate speakers with this idea of what it makes to "be a man", which usually stresses individual responsibility, courtesy to women, looking tough but being soft on the inside. This ideology is typically expressed in the form of a long, metaphorical and melodramatic speech.

If I could best say it, it's the "wow he's pretty awesome" type of Gar character. Not Archer-like or Akagi-like, they're very personality-heavy. K1 himself is popular with the villagers and his classmates because of this personality type, and Kamina is revered like a god by some people. I don't particularly like this kind of character, since it strikes me as horribly exaggerated and contrived both in the form of the character and how people react to said character.

Yuuichi is sort of like K1, Akio and Kamina, but he's far more reserved than the other three. In terms of "how strongly" this type is reflected, I'd say:

Kamina >>> K1 > Akio >> Yuuichi
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just realized something ... Kamina is up against, and I quote, "Aspergillus Niger." Based on the sheer accidental hilarity of the name and the number of dual 4channer-YTMNDers who vote in SaiGAR, Kamina might actually lose. o.o Doubtful. I'll be voting for Kamina. But I'm just saying ... o.o
Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #68
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"i think aspergillius niger is a pretty cool fugus. eh infects fruits and doesn't afraid of anything".

I don't see the appeal to any of Moyashimon's microbes, but I have to concede he'll probably be getting the most troll-votes since there are some folks who like up-setting those who revere old shows with a lot of nostalgia, and Coach from Gunbuster is nothing but. However, since I had to pull a few strings to get Coach into the tournament (independent of his status - I'd acknowledge him anyway), he gets my vote.

I'll be voting against Kamina at every road block in the hope that there won't be a Gurren block final. Nobody would like that and I don't want to see Genome fall to a character who will go out in his semi-final match with much hullaballoo.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #69
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I went out today around 12:40. Here's my story.
  1. I went to the post office to pick up a package that they tried to deliver to me yesterday but could not because it required a signature and the postman came at like 12noon. Well, I expected that the Post Office would be closed by 12:52pm on a Saturday, but I was hopeful that it might still be open. Nope. Closed at 12. Figures. So, I'll have to come back Monday before they close to try and get my package -- a microbiology notebook penned by a medical doctor who was best friends irl with a doctor my mom knows and likes.[/*1p0gtbiz]
  2. I headed off to Target to try and purchase the following:[list:1p0gtbiz]
  3. wireless laser mouse to replace my broken wired ball-mouse (yeah, Stone Age, I know)[/*1p0gtbiz]
  4. XBox 360 controller compatible with a PC for the purpose of playing doujinsoft fighters[/*1p0gtbiz]
  5. flipflops that are comfortable and all rubber so as to be water-proof[/*1p0gtbiz]
  6. T-shirts of certain colors it took too much time and space to explain, so, T-shirts :P[/*1p0gtbiz]
  7. a mousepad[/*1p0gtbiz]
Of these, I ended up getting just the mousepad. Target had the XBox 360 controller, but it didn't say if it could work with my computer or not. It just had a USB cable on it. They also had a mouse for $45, but I didn't like the fact that the right button and left button were both underneath the same massive, flimsy sheet of gray plastic. Bad design. They had no flipflops for men (just beach sandals with designs for women, and then clogs). Most surprising of all, though, was that they didn't have the shirts I wanted. Oh well.[/*1p0gtbiz][*]The next place I went to was Circuit City. This was where I found my XBox 360 controller. The guy at the store looked like a college-aged but not college-attending stoner boy. But he was really nice and helpful -- didn't speak unless spoken to, never tried any salespitches at all, answered all of my questions concisely and satisfactorily -- except for one time where he did speak without being spoken to, to tell me, "Um, sir ... if you're interested in playing this on your computer, you do realize the wireless can do this too, right?" Noooooooooooo, I was not aware of that! So he showed me that they were selling their wireless controllers for $39.99 -- ten bucks off normal price and the same price as the wired controllers -- and that for just $19.99 I could buy this USB wireless dongle + drivers CD that would let me use a wireless XBox 360 controller on my Windows XP computer. Great.

They also had a nice Microsoft mouse (the something-something 8000) which was wireless, laser, felt comfortable, and even came with a portable phone recharger-styled recharger for the mouse so that you didn't have to keep buying expensive AA batteries. And all for $89.99. I considered getting it, but decided I'd head over to Best Buy first.[/*1p0gtbiz][*]Best Buy. More like "Worst Buy," as every single person I've met who has talked Best Buy with me in the last 6 months has quipped. Must be a meme or something. -_-; Anyway, horrible (and ineffectual) puns aside, Best Buy really was the worst of the three electronics-toting stores I'd been to so far. Even Target, who didn't have the wireless USB dongle on their shelves, was charging $39.99 for the wired 360 controller and $49.99 for the wireless. Here was Best Buy, charging $54.99 for the wireless. Pfft. And, unlike Circuit City, they didn't even have that wide a selection of computer mice. They didn't even have the model 8000 with the phone recharger-styled recharger! Lame. And, the mouse we saw at Target for $45? Yeah, $65 at Best Buy. WTF. They've earned such a reputation now for robbing people of their money that they figure, "Meh, may as well take the suckers who do walk in for all they're worth, I guess." Huh? Must be. So I left Best Buy in like 10 minutes with no purchases made.[/*1p0gtbiz][*]Went to get lunch, ate lunch, checked stuff online ...[/*1p0gtbiz][*]... installed the XBox 360 wireless controller ...[/*1p0gtbiz][*]... and it works! It works perfectly well with Immaterial and Missing Power. Well, almost perfectly well. For some reason, it won't let me use the D-Pad for IaMP's Config page -- only the Analog stick. Only the Left Analog stick. I figure it's IaMP's programming and not that I have a broken controller, but ... bbb, could you ask some of your XBox 360 + IaMP buddies to check for me? I just need to know if IaMP does recognize the XBox 360's wireless controller's D-Pad or not. Because if it doesn't, then it means I have a broken XBox 360 controller with no means of testing it. (If you can't find out for me, I'll have to invite myself over to one med student's place for 10 minutes to test it out.)[/*1p0gtbiz][/list1p0gtbiz]

So ... long story short, I have a controller for PC gaming now and am ready to play BBB!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I was wondering if you'd be interested in making a Touhou Club, BBB, in the Club forum. So that we could discuss IaMP, SRW, and any of the actual Touhou "bullet hell" games like IN or Mountain of Faith. Now that I have a controller, anyway, I figure I'm up for it.

Also, please tell me if you're going to be on later tonight and/or tomorrow and want to play IaMP. I can't keep waiting @_@ , I have work to do and stuff, so, I'm headed afk for now. I should be back in 2-3 hours. Is it possible to play IaMP with others? (I'm assuming it is ... you seem to have done it with your chat buddies.)

Also, links I figure you'd be interested in:
- SRW Demo of Aya's abilities - pretty cool. No idea who Aya is, but she seems cool, lol.
- The Touhou Wiki's page on SRW
- one fan's SRW-Wiki

And be sure to check out my help thread at the Touhou forum Maidens of the Kaleidoscope! Pass it along to your chat buddies, BBB! Help a brother out to get his controller working! (My account name is SuiginChou; I'm Post #4 in the thread.)
Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #71
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not seeing an option anywhere in IaMP for playing people online. I'm beginning to think you made it up.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #72
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I apologize for not responding earlier. I just got home from work.

Alright. Lets get down to business. First off, your links. I can't wait for SWR either =D I mean, it's IaMP with more characters, and I would just love that. I hope it has Flandre, Cirno, and Nitori especially. Oh, and here's the IaMP wiki. If you want strategies, then go here. Oh, and Aya is a photographer from "Shoot the Bullet." I haven't played it, but I think you just take pictures in it.

Now for your controller problem. Have you tried changing the controller settings in config? To open up config, right click it, go to properties, go to compatibility and set it to Windows 2000. After that, try setting your controls like that. This isn't coming from my chat buddies, it's coming from ME.

Suigin: Did you even read my link? The guy said he tried that.

Well, I'm asking YOU to try it. Almost all of us use the keyboard, so we don't really know. We can come up with more solutions if you accept my invitation.

I hope you are on tonight, because I was wondering if you were interested in participating in the IaMP tournament we are going to have tomorrow. If so, then we welcome you =D (if you join, you are fighting me first thing.)

If you want further help, go to the chat link I gave you. I will be better in solving your problems if you do.

As for the Touhou club, alright. I might. I am kind of reluctant, but whatever.

No anime watching tonight, I must practice for the tournament. Iz gotz to win!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:55 AM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just feel like we're spamming this thread with Touhou otherwise. Touhou seems to need its own thread, be it here (in Anime) or there (in Clubs).

I know how to do Configs. ^_^; Thanks for trying to help, but yes, I know all about Win2000 compatibility. Did it ages ago. Like, 2007. As I explained, when in Config, the D-pad isn't even being recognized, nor is the right analog stick. Only the left analog stick and the remaining buttons. (The controller is fine, as proven by Windows's Control Panel's Game Controllers' test tab.)

And did you ask your chat buddies about wireless 360 controller experience with IaMP? You didn't even say.

Based on what you told me "earlier," I think I'd prefer to beat the game in Story Mode myself to unlock people. By the way, to address that now ...

Again, your zeal is flattering, but ........ you act like I didn't know about the China patch, when (iirc) I had it installed before you did. That's what's getting to me right now: you developed Touhou fever based on your chat buddies' discussions, so I pointed you in the direction of IaMP because I knew you liked EFZ and IaMP was by the same maker (in part). Don't you remember? Don't you remember this all coming about when you posted that soccer picture? So ... >_> , yes, I have had the China mod for some time now. (December 13, it says.) And I have extracted it and moved the appropriate files places and everything. That stated, I don't know for 100% certain that it's working because I've never managed to beat Story Mode before.

[center:2apfuwws]==============================[/center:2apfuwws]

Here are some real problems you can address for me:

Problem 1: the foes in Story Mode have these "modes" they enter when their life gets low. Very, very powerful modes. Can I do something like that? If so, how?

Problem 2: What are those numbers (1-9) that rise on the bottom left of the screen, near the magic bar? I assume they're combo-related, but I can't seem to make use of them.

Problem 3: I feel like the only way I am able to win right now is through "cheap tactics" (e.g. hitting A, so the foe falls down, and then just standing still, and then hitting A again the moment they rise, etc. etc.). Whenever I try to do "real fighting," I get murdered. This is no fun, of course. I wish to do combos, but I also wish to not be murdered. Advice? All I've done so far is just run away to the far corner of the stage and use my long-range attacks. Pretty dull stuff. Especially when they get to do those cool things I mentioned in Problem 1 and I don't.

Problem 4a: People keep saying "your deck matters," blah blah blah, but I haven't noticed any changes to the attacks I do regardless of which cards I select at the start. Is this bad? Ought I to notice something? Does this maybe tie in to those super-powerful combos I'm itching to execute?

Problem 4b: When making "a good deck," is it best to choose the higher level card that matches the lower level card you picked? (e.g. Top Top, Mid Mid, Bottom Bottom ... not Top Mid, Top Bottom, Bottom Top, etc.) Or does it not matter? Or does it matter, but in fact there's a mixed arrangement (e.g. Mid for the weak card, Top for the strong card on Reimu) which is best? So far, I've just been choosing Top Top for Reimu and Mid Mid for Marisa.

Problem 5: I'm beginning to wonder if characters have attacks BEYOND the ones listed in the in-game movelists. Sort of like how characters in Guilty Gear have like 75% of their moves not listed by the in-game move list. Do you know for certain one way or the other?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:00 AM   #74
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Finished Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu. Mediocre at best, pretty generic and nothing original. Despite being an OVA, it wasn't very good animation-wise. Additionally, the biggest twist in the story was retracted suddenly - sort of like Sora's Joke in Ever17.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #75
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Don't worry about it. I need posts in here anyway. Now to address your questions.....

Oh, and I did ask them. They responded with a "I don't know, I use the keyboard."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Here are some real problems you can address for me:

Problem 1: the foes in Story Mode have these "modes" they enter when their life gets low. Very, very powerful modes. Can I do something like that? If so, how?

Problem 2: What are those numbers (1-9) that rise on the bottom left of the screen, near the magic bar? I assume they're combo-related, but I can't seem to make use of them.

Problem 3: I feel like the only way I am able to win right now is through "cheap tactics" (e.g. hitting A, so the foe falls down, and then just standing still, and then hitting A again the moment they rise, etc. etc.). Whenever I try to do "real fighting," I get murdered. This is no fun, of course. I wish to do combos, but I also wish to not be murdered. Advice? All I've done so far is just run away to the far corner of the stage and use my long-range attacks. Pretty dull stuff. Especially when they get to do those cool things I mentioned in Problem 1 and I don't.

Problem 4a: People keep saying "your deck matters," blah blah blah, but I haven't noticed any changes to the attacks I do regardless of which cards I select at the start. Is this bad? Ought I to notice something? Does this maybe tie in to those super-powerful combos I'm itching to execute?

Problem 4b: When making "a good deck," is it best to choose the higher level card that matches the lower level card you picked? (e.g. Top Top, Mid Mid, Bottom Bottom ... not Top Mid, Top Bottom, Bottom Top, etc.) Or does it not matter? Or does it matter, but in fact there's a mixed arrangement (e.g. Mid for the weak card, Top for the strong card on Reimu) which is best? So far, I've just been choosing Top Top for Reimu and Mid Mid for Marisa.

Problem 5: I'm beginning to wonder if characters have attacks BEYOND the ones listed in the in-game movelists. Sort of like how characters in Guilty Gear have like 75% of their moves not listed by the in-game move list. Do you know for certain one way or the other?
1) Kind of. Some of these modes are based off specials the character has. I will explain it in problem two.

2) The bar at the bottom is your special/block bar. When it runs out, your blocking is weaker and you can't use special attacks. You run it out by using too many projectiles, or having your defense broken through (I do this to people all the time.) As for the number, that's the amount of times you can use your ultimate attacks. Now, to do an ultimate attack, you must first hit down down D. After that, you will pull out your spellcard, and your temporary damage will heal (the dark red health bar.) To do an ultimate, press down, down-forward, and forward and D. EDIT: "D" is the button you use to dash. I don't know what it is on your controller, but it is the same one you can use to, of course, dash. Test and see what it is, by holding a button and pressing forward.

3) Raymoo sucks at close combat. In order to master her, you need to be able to use you projectiles well. However, she has some good close up attacks, like the teleport kick, and some other annoying attacks. Just keep using projectiles, and then strike the enemy while she is trying to get to you. That's what Raymoo does to me, and she pisses me off. If you want close combat, I suggest using Sakuya, Youmu, China, or Remilia (you have to unlock her).

4a) The cards you pick just affects which ultimate you have. Like if you pick the multi-colored balls, your ultimate will be Raymoo having orbs of energy coming out of her and going toward the opponent. If you pick the blue orb, Raymoo will shoot a massive blue ball out. Just experiment with your ultimates and see what works best for you. If you still have problems using them, ask me.

4b) Like I said in 4a, whatever works best for you. The difference between cards is the power. In the first round, you use the first card you picked. The second round/when you are defeated, you will use a more powerful card, or the second card you picked. I will give you an example as to why it is up to you. You see, with Youmu, I use the green sword as my first attack, because I can use it pretty well, and it does really good damage. The second one, I use the super fast slash. I use it, because I can use it even better, it does more damage than the upgraded giant sword (this one is blue), and I can combo with it. I don't use the lesser fast slash because it doesn't do much damage and I use the green sword better. In other words, the first attack is a massive sword, then the second is a super fast slash. I mix them up.

5) They kind of do. I gave you an IaMP wiki link to help you learn them. It has every character's every move and combo possibilities. Please use it if you hope to stand a chance against "The virus" -_-;

As for the China patch, I knew you knew of it, I just didn't know you HAD it. You didn't know of netplay, so I thought you didn't know where to find China. Also, if the China patch is working, she should be a playable character in versus. The border of the game should also say "Version 1.11". Now, I will ask you, did you put Caster in the appropriate places?

EDIT: I forgot to explain what "D" is. I put it in answer 2.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime