UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
Martz
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Martz Send a message via MSN to Martz
Tau, I completely understand. Not to go off topic, but I'm the same way when I play Madden. My brother thinks I'm stupid for taking a franchise so seriously but that's why I'm so good at it and why he always loses to me >>" Obsessive strategy is good in any game really if you want to call it that. Don't they call that meta gaming?
Martz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #27
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martz View Post
Tau, I completely understand. Not to go off topic, but I'm the same way when I play Madden. My brother thinks I'm stupid for taking a franchise so seriously but that's why I'm so good at it and why he always loses to me >>" Obsessive strategy is good in any game really if you want to call it that. Don't they call that meta gaming?
What I do in FE counts as meta gaming, yes, unfortunately. (Unfortunate because D&D campaigns have instilled a strong sense of "Meta gaming = bad" in me.)

But there are some games where you just find your play style and stick to it, I think. I've tried to cut back and approach things more relaxed-ly: been replaying Shadow Dragon on Hard, without any restarts or save scumming a map. If someone dies, they're dead, and I'm not going for 100% recruitment of all possible units. It's a lot more tense, actually.

Dramatic, I guess is the word.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #28
Martz
Cascade Badge

I did that. Ended up with 5 units. Came to the point where I couldn't finish any maps. I was a kid though. Would be more different now...or you'd think anyway. Was looking at maybe getting my GBAplayer on my comp going again and doing Sacred Stones again or just found Path of Radiance for the GC and might pop that in as well. I have the strategy guide for it ^_^
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #29
tau
Cascade Badge

Hell, I say go for it. FE is a good way to kill some free time!

And to my shame, I've never played Path of Radiance, I just watched a friend play it. I think I did one map for him that he got stuck on. I wanna say it was a forest map with constant enemy reinforcements, but I might be wrong.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #30
Martz
Cascade Badge

It was okay when I played it. Got frustrated and quit bc my units kept dying. It's almost better than you turn the animations off from what I remember because it takes so long. Story was alright as well from what I remember.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #31
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Sacred Stones (FE8 ) is the weakest Fire Emblem game I've played. And where the HELL was the twincest, I was promised twincest.

The only game allowed to be called "Sacred Stones" is Double Dragon 3 (starring Bimmy and Jimmy Lee).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #32
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Sacred Stones was pretty weak. Path of Radiance is awesome. Small text hurts my eyes.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #33
tau
Cascade Badge

Replaying Shadow Dragon with minimum recruitment, on Hard difficulty.

Pretty fun!

Fuck ballista maps though
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
Replaying Shadow Dragon with minimum recruitment, on Hard difficulty.

Pretty fun!

Fuck ballista maps though
That sounds... fun... 0_o

UGH I WANT MY WII SO I CAN FINISH MY NORMAL MODE RADIANT DAWN HNNNNNG GODDAMMIT RESPONSIBILITIES.

In other news, Fire Emblem claims 12th place for having the most game-related fanfics on fanfiction.net. ^_^
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

That is not a good thing. Fanfiction is bad.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #36
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

No, fanfiction can most certainly be good.

It's just the bad fanfiction is sooooo fucking bad that it leaves a stain the size of a Asia on the collective reputation.

Kind of like shipping, but shipping is worse. It has a stain the size of the planet. Or bigger. And with good reason. >_>
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #37
tau
Cascade Badge

^ Bad fics at least gave rise to things like this, but that's about all the positive there is.

As for Fire Emblem, I just... never got why, in such a bland and fairly generic, cookie-cutter world, you would settle for fan-fics that will most likely never accomplish anything in furthering a writer career. Why not just build your own generic cookie-cutter fantasy world and write about that?

It's not much more original, but it's at least somewhat more viable an option for expanding and growing as a writer.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #38
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I can see where you're coming from with the world thing, but people don't write fanfics because of worlds (Unless we're talking about pokemon). But from a world perspective, yeah, I totally agree with you. If someone wrote a FE world fic with a cast of all OCs... I would question their sanity.

But, no, it's the characters which are important. In the vast majority of fics, the point is using pre-developed characters in new situations and having to write what happens. It builds up what is in my opinion one of THE most important aspects for writers- the ability to keep multiple characters balanced and stable throught the course of a story. Do you know how much of a slippery slope character development can be? It's far too easy to pump in too much, too soon, making it seem that, rather than a character developing, they have two radically different... selves. And do you know what that leads to? It leads to every one of your characters becoming the worst possible two-dimensional form of tsundere you can get. I mean the worst- tsundere can be used as a legitimate character trope, but this is completely unintentional, and often goes entirely against what the character was supposed to represent.

Basically, the virtue of fanfiction is that it's much like a scientific experement- allowing you to focus on one variable while the constants operate around you. In this case, however, that variable is a skill. An important skill.

In addition, that skill can be something other than character. Pokemon fics with OC casts (the good ones, that is) are a great example of this, as they're the exact inversion, or perhaps the next level- you must maintain characters which you have built from the ground up, but you have a well-established world for them to react to. The best part is that the world in this case does have a small margin for alterations( simply look between anime and game and you see some canon alterations), which allow you to increase the challenge by adding another area of uncertainty whenever you feel you're ready. After all, a good storywriter has to be able to deal with nothing but uncertainty- there is nothing for them to build on. They are creating something from nothing. If you've honed your abilities in all the different areas, they all come together when you create a work of original fiction and allow you to (with luck) create something worthwhile.

But there is still one more reason. Do you know what it is?
To have fun.
To challenge yourself.
To better yourself.
To imerse yourself in a world not your own.

Do any of those sound familiar? That's right. There is no less reason to write fanfics than there is to play video games.
Quote:
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #39
tau
Cascade Badge

I understand that, looking at it all. And I'm familiar with how difficult it can be to keep track of multiple characters during a long story, without reducing them two one-dimensional cliche's or making them shallow self-insert constructs.

I admit somewhat shamefacedly that I've engendered something of a personal stigma against fan-fics in general, but I suppose that's because the only ones I've been exposed to are the bad ones. I apologize if I was offensive in any way, I don't mean to sound snobbish or like I'm degrading one genre (or subculture?) of writing, as literature is both my passion and life goal ^^;

In any event, I'd never even thought of it from the characters perspective. I'm the type of person who doesn't generally like playing a 'canon' character in games, unless it's a case like MGS or Prince of Persia where there's some history to it. I absolutely adore character creation in games (Whoop whoop, MyUnit~!) because for me, world building is actually second to crafting my own characters and personalities to inhabit said world.

But that said, I can see why some people would enjoy having a metaphorical sandbox in which to use pre-existing FE characters.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #40
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Maybe you should move this fanfic discussion to another thread, Kin?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #41
Kuno Fan
Kuno > N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Maybe you should move this fanfic discussion to another thread, Kin?
I don't see why. This was, really, based on the topic, as it was started from an FE perspective. Indeed.

That being said, I write fanfiction. Both FE and Pokemon fanfiction. And I'm a shipper. Hm. I was going somewhere with this, but I seem to have lost it.

>_< All I know is that I love almost all the lords equally. I remember at first it was hard for me to open up to Eirika, thus the reason I (began) playing Ephraim's route first, then having to begin an Eirika route simply because Kin kept warning me of receiving spoilers before hand. Or not receiving the information at all.

For example:

Spoiler: show
Joshua being a prince.

I did, eventually, warm up to Eirika
probably just because she causes so many bloody ship fests
, so at least that worked out. Eh, if I had to choose favorites (Oh, I hate favorites), they would probably be, eh, Roy, Ephraim, Ike, and, eh, let's count Elincia. *Sheepish glance*

and the art thread that i'll be trying to breathe life back into lol
Kuno Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #42
tau
Cascade Badge

^ Ephraim is best lord.

Scientific Fact.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #43
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I still like Ike the best. Followed by Hector.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
tau
Cascade Badge

I am partial to spear-wielding Lords. And Ephraim's crit animation after promotion is just wonderful.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #45
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Ephraim does have wonderful crit animations.

Personally, I prefer Lyn. :Runs away:
Quote:
Old 12-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #46
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I have noticed a very noticeable divide between opinions on Awakening.

Personally, I'm psyched. Sure, the heavy armour unit's armour looks like something out of a sci-fi and what the hell are you wearing Miciah, but overall it looks great, especially after watching the trailer. Besides, it's always nice to see people trying something new.

Okay, maybe I'm a little biased because they finally decided to give Miciah Dark Magic I mean like come on are you serious I mean she's the
Oracle of the Chaos God

so why the hell didn't this happen earlier?? Like, her final stage in RD??
Quote:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #47
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ah holy shit Awakening looks fucking incredible

And that DLC... all of those returning characters...

Nintendo announced a 3DS bundle package today for the game, but it's NOT the 3DS XL. What the hell, Nintendo?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #48
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Ah holy shit Awakening looks fucking incredible

And that DLC... all of those returning characters...

Nintendo announced a 3DS bundle package today for the game, but it's NOT the 3DS XL. What the hell, Nintendo?
Once again breaking my posting exile, but WHAT?!

3DS bundle with a FE game? Okay, I have to seriously rethink my decision to not buy a 3DS, that sounds lovely...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #49
deoxys
Fog Badge

Here's the bundle:

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #50
tau
Cascade Badge