UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-02-2016, 03:09 AM   #1051
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Saw the new Ghostbusters today. I thought it was really good, there were some jokes that I thought fell flat, but for the most part the movie was really solid.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #1052
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Saw Suicide Squad today. (Free tickets whoo.)

I liked it.

It had some of the same problems that plagued BvS, but overall I thought it was better narrative-wise.

There are a bunch of nitpicky things I could point out (both good and bad), and maybe I will later in a more spoiler-depth review, but for now I want to say the thing I liked the most is how much “family” featured as a theme. Showing how even “bad guys” will go to such great lengths for their families or friends they consider as such, and being able to relate to each other over those feelings. Even if it’s corny and cliché, that’s what I’ve grown to love about DC: the focus on teamwork and familial bonds. The squad really did come together as a team in the end. Maybe some of the alliances felt a bit forced/unexplained, but that’s what happens when you have a bunch of characters’ backstories/motivations to introduce at once. Still, most of the arcs were pretty solid IMO.

The movie had a sincere heart and was clearly trying, at least. I just hope that effort to improve carries on to the next films.

Also Deadshot stole the show. Harley and Joker were okay. The rest were just kinda there.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #1053
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
The squad really did come together as a team in the end. Maybe some of the alliances felt a bit forced/unexplained, but that’s what happens when you have a bunch of characters’ backstories/motivations to introduce at once.
Yeah that is the real problem at the core of the DC filmverse at the moment. They are trying really hard to make this DC universe sprawling across films to rival the one that Marvel has made with the Avengers but they are trying to do too much at once. They don't have the background, or the foundations, in place that Marvel had to bring it alll together. Like Marvel had Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk etc. all with their established separate character-driven origin films in place and then brought them together and it worked because we were invested and familiar with these interpretations of the characters. I can see why DC is backpedallling though, if they spent years doing all the individual films they needed to by the time they had everything truly in place for The Justice League or a film like Suicide Squad (or even Batman/Superman) they would run the risk of the 'Superhero' trend running dry.

But right now the DC films have such a strong feel of 'we're throwing everything at a wall until something sticks' (the Wonder Woman appearance in BvS is a key example of this) and just expecting us to know/like the characters rather than developing them over time.

The other thing is also the writing of the films always feels very heavy. I found Man of Steel choreish to get through. I think DC lack the 'fun'/light hearted factor that Marvel films tend to have in spades.

Also just an aside, I love Amy Adams and I wish they gave Lois Lane more of note to do rather than throw a kryptonian spear into some water and then swim to find it.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #1054
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
But right now the DC films have such a strong feel of 'we're throwing everything at a wall until something sticks' (the Wonder Woman appearance in BvS is a key example of this) and just expecting us to know/like the characters rather than developing them over time.
I went in knowing next to nothing about most of the characters aside from Harley and Joker, although I did get a +1 familiarity bonus for Deadshot off the bat (*shot - twice*) since there was a scene in the JL cartoon where Batman interrogates Deadshot by whispering something to him, and Deadshot immediately relents. According to an interview, Kevin Conroy stated the line he whispered was: "I know where you live, Floyd." Implying he was threatening Floyd's family. So I got a sympathetic charge out of the opening scene where...

Spoiler: show
Batman used the presence of his daughter as leverage to take him in, which felt both Batlike and un-Batlike at the same time. The fact he chose to strike right at that moment is downright manipulative, but the protectiveness towards children was there. And it's that kind of (ambiguous) moral aspect of his personality I felt was missing from TDK trilogy.

So yeah, I could totally get behind Deadshot from the start and root for him as the hero as the film, which they were clearly ramping him up as with the amount of screentime and lines devoted to him. (Helps that he's played by Will Smith. I don't know many actors, but he's cool.) The movie at least succeeded in that department of getting me to care/be curious about characters I didn't think I would.

Actually, now that I think about it, Deadshot strikes me as a parallel to Batman - in that he doesn't have any special powers or modifications, but merely trained his skills to the point of expert marksmanship, making him an underdog candidate for leader. ...Well, there's also Captain Boomerang, but he's Captain Boomerang. XP That said, I was looking forward to his character since I also kind of knew him from the JL cartoon, but he didn't really add much. At least we got a

Flash cameo

as a result. On that note, gonna throw out some wild speculation:

Flash is going to die at some point, if not at least play some pivotal plot role. We’ve already seen him appear in BvS to warn Bruce of something upcoming from the future, and of all the JL members, he’s the only one to make an appearance in SS aside from Batman. In full costume already. (I'm not the only one who's noticed that the color evokes a resemblance to Robin/Red Hood either.) That’s twice he’s been inserted into the story, seemingly out of nowhere.

From the JL trailer and above interaction, it seems they are setting Barry (I think it’s confirmed Barry and not Wally, idk correct me if I’m wrong) up to have a special relationship with Bruce, especially given his youth and Bruce’s tragic past with Robin. So what if history repeats itself? He is the baby of the team, which makes him the most vulnerable. Where they rushed things with Superman's death, they could be taking time to endear Barry to fans as the "woobie" before delivering an emotional gut-punch. Even if the theory's moot (bc come on, no one stays dead in comicsverse anyway), I feel like he’s going to end up being extremely important either way.

Speaking of sidekicks, there's an early easter egg that apparently indicates...

Harley is the one who killed Robin. Go figure. *quietly waits with popcorn for drama to ensue down the line*

To that end, I supposed I should talk about my opinion on Harley (and Joker). ..."Eh" @ both of them. I get where they were trying to go with Harley by making her more sympathetic/innocent, but the contrast between her sexual overtones and childishness just felt out of place. I was worried they were going to stick solely with her New 52 origin and remove all of her agency, but at least we saw that

she was falling in love with Joker as his psychiatrist. ...But then he went all RotJ psycho-torture on her. =/

It was a unique take how Joker seemed so dedicated to her after all the abuse, but... Idk. It just made things more confusing. I find Harley to be most fascinating when she's clearly making a conscious choice to be in a toxic relationship, and is in charge of her own actions. Though it was interesting how in her dream she fantasized living a normal life with Joker.

Also that Bat-kiss felt totally as unnecessary and uncomfortable as the sex scene in TKJ. You can't convince me that was supposed to be CPR. Heck, we saw a physician actually attempt to perform proper CPR technique later in the film. >.>

I feel like there wasn't really enough of Leto's Joker to draw a conclusion on him (and apparently a lot of his scenes were cut), but I guess I wasn't that impressed with his performance. My biggest complaint is that it was hard to understand him most of the time with the slurred accent. (Killer Croc had a similar problem, as did Captain Boomerang. C'mon, guys, didn't we learn enough from Balebat and Bane? Enunciate, please.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
The other thing is also the writing of the films always feels very heavy. I found Man of Steel choreish to get through. I think DC lack the 'fun'/light hearted factor that Marvel films tend to have in spades.
Tbf, SS did feel like it was trying to be more 'fun'/light-hearted, and it got a few laughs out of me at times. Although it wasn't quite the romp from beginning to end most were anticipating I imagine. Still, I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to WW and JL, particularly after seeing the trailers. (I had thought JL was coming out first, especially given the mid-credits teaser, but it seems WW is next. Which I suppose is a good thing to flesh out her character backstory.) Going into these films with mildly low expectations has produced decently satisfying experiences thus far (though I have yet to see MoS), so I expect to at least be equally entertained, if not hopeful for improvement.

I'm also super-stoked for Lego Batman btw after the latest trailer. X3 I was worried the parody humor would get stale, but Robin makes everything better. \o/

"Bruce Wayne lives in Batman's attic" is gold. Also the pants lmao. Happy that they acknowledge Robin is his son too. ^-^

It's basically Holy Musical B@man and I love it. <3 (Can we get a Lego Superman fight in there too? It bet it'd be better than BvS. *shot*)

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 08-06-2016 at 10:35 AM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #1055
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Stubert's pretty much hit all my points regarding DC's problems. Granted, I haven't seen BvS yet, and have no plans to. Suicide Squad is... alright. It's fun, it does what you expect, but it's not a standout film.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #1056
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Star Trek Beyond is the best of the entire trio of new Star Trek films. Go watch it instead of the other nonsense. Good movie. Not like that Into Darkness crap.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:56 AM   #1057
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Glad to hear that, Loki! I might just do.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #1058
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Suicide Squad was hot garbage. The good parts: Viola Davis. The bad: fucking everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:37 AM   #1059
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Was Margot Robbie good at least?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #1060
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I listed every good actor in the movie under the good.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 08-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #1061
Mercutio
Banned

It is total crap.

However.

Joker and Harley = yes please. I would watch that movie. No Batman required. And then I would bed both of them. Or maybe just her but I'd be dressed as him. My God.

Captian Boomerang needs his own TV show. It wouldn't be a good show but I could watch it hungover and it would make things ok.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #1062
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

no

fuck off Leto

Leto needs to be recast

yesterday
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 08-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #1063
Mercutio
Banned

He was epic. Admittedly, wasted in this mire of bad plotting and poor direction, but still.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #1064
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Saw the new Ghostbusters today. I thought it was really good, there were some jokes that I thought fell flat, but for the most part the movie was really solid.
I saw this while I was in Denmark on holiday the other day and it vastly surpassed my expectations. It's not the best film I've seen, but it was so enjoyable.

Considering the odds were really stacked against it from the start due the outright smear campaign the film has received for whatever reason you wish to choose (female cast? the fact it's a reboot?) I imagine so many people just wrote it off without even giving it a look. However it really captures what I like enjoy about Ghostbusters. Realy silly, fun and ridiculous antics with funny and enjoyable characters.

Like it's not clever in the slightest, but who would want it to be? It's just completely fun and ridiculous. There were so many references to the wider Ghostbusters 'mythos' (I guess you could say) scattered throughout. Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon were the real stars for me. And Chris Hemsworth's role in the whole thing was perfect. He really stole the show.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #1065
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Saw Kubo and the Two Strings today!

It's one of my fave movies now, the feeeeeeels

Also cameo!

As soon as I heard the "Eau My" I whispered "GEORGE TAKEI" super loudly xd;

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #1066
Freya
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Star Trek Beyond is the best of the entire trio of new Star Trek films. Go watch it instead of the other nonsense. Good movie. Not like that Into Darkness crap.
I found Star Trek Beyond not as good compared to the first two. The storyline seemed predictable and the fight scenes were not as entertaining. It felt that the movie went too quick. There was not enough emphasis on Kirk and Spock, which is what made the first to films great.
Freya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:00 AM   #1067
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I also saw Kubo and the Two strings and I have to say it was pretty amazing. The jokes (99%) were funny, the feels hit your core, the action and fight scenes were entertaining, and the whole thing was absolutely gorgeous. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are a fan of stop motion animation. The best animated film to not come out of Pixar, Dreamworks, or Disney for a while. I would complain that a few jokes were a little on the head but it is a kids movie. It was probably as good, if not better, than Tangled or Frozen, though leaning a little more towards the audience that likes a little more action over musical numbers. Go see this movie, or at least check it out when it comes out on dvd.

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #1068
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Big

Very, very, average.

I think most of the movie is pretty good, in fairness. The plot maybe is a little harebrained for most of it, but its a family movie. It's okay for it to be a little harebrained. Tom Hanks have a good, believable performance.

There were issues though. I'm _really_ not sure why they felt the need to have Josh have sex. First of all, even if he is in an adult's body, he is believably still 13 at that point. His mind didn't progress with age. So that's really, really creepy and borderline pedophilia.

But the worst part is the ending. I wonder if this is where the generational difference comes into play, because this movie got a ton of acclaim, and I can't see it. He managed to, by sheer luck or whatever, got into a life where he was successful, happy, and comfortable. He was so comfortable that he didn't have an issue with his life until his jerkish best friend gets angry at him. So what does he do?

He throws it. All away. All the time while you are hoping that he doesn't. When you get the "A million reasons to go home, but one reason to stay scene". You think he's not going to do it. But he does it. He makes the choice. I can't forgive him for it. I don't think it will make him happier. I think it was stupid, and shoehorned and tanked what could have been a very solid movie. It just doesn't fit. It doesn't work into the narrative they were spinning. It just deflated it.

Maybe its just me. I dunno.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #1069
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Since I've spend more than a full day in a plane the last week I've watched a shit load of movies (Cars, Angry Birds, Avengers: Civil War, Deadpool, The Revenant, X-Men: Apocalypse, and 2 Chinese movies)

But while in the Philippines, I also saw "Train to Busan" in the cinema. It's a Korean movie (original title: Busanhaeng), saw it subbed, and I must say it's really good. It's a zombie survival horror (runners), but while the zombie action is good, the story and characters are even better. The characters are worked out well and they manage to get you emotionally involved. Don't want to say too much, but I highly recommend watching this movie, especially if you enjoy this genre.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #1070
Mercutio
Banned

Bridget Jones' Baby is pretty excellent assuming you haven't recently been dumped, which I have, and aren't viewing it with your mother next to you, which I was.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #1071
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Bridget Jones' Baby is pretty excellent assuming you haven't recently been dumped, which I have, and aren't viewing it with your mother next to you, which I was.
We are all Bridget Jones.
Aposteriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #1072
Mercutio
Banned

Sausage Party is ok!
Old 09-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #1073
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Saw Zootopia on Netflix. Pretty cute. Full on furry though.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #1074
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I refuse to watch it because the character designs are repulsive to me. I've not had the same uncanny valley effect watching other anthro aniimals, so it's just Zootopia triggering this refursion.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #1075
Mercutio
Banned

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Is.

So bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment