Old 05-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #2251
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
>playing random doubles with yuki and lanturn
>gets a wobby

omg who even uses wobby in doubles whyyyyy
I can tell you what I would do in that situation.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #2252
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
But they never attack Wobby :<
EVER! :<
Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #2253
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
I love VGC! VGC is my tier ^^

I made a makeshift team around Specs Gengar that seems to be working pretty well. Here's it in action
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #2254
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Use Encore to restrict the enemy's choices. Use Safeguard to help protect the team from status afflictions. Use Shadow Tag to lock them in, giving you the opportunity for the perfect switch-ins and setups. I'm not saying he's great but I think you can still make lemonade out of Wobby lemons.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #2255
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Though everything boiled down to Poliwrath / Cloyster vs one man Wobby. Poliwrath kept Protecting while Cloyster got Encore'd a Shell Smash.

Much fun.

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #2256
Emi

Turns out Wobby can't survive a +6 Razor Shell ;;
Old 05-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #2257
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Better coverage? Not getting Encored into a Protect chain? Not having dead weight once Taunted? Not wanting to give the opponent free turns to set up? I dunno, it feels like the VGC crowd is a little too Protect-happy to me. ^^; It's a great move, all the better in Doubles, certainly, but it has its place and its time, I feel. I can't believe that it belongs on 66% of the six-creature team or 75% of the four-creature team. Yet believe it I must, I suppose, if the battles I've been in are to be believed themselves.
Protect is an absolutely amazing asset to any Pokemon in Doubles, allowing you do stall Leech Seed and Burns, as well as block a double target and essentially get a free turn, to waiting out Weather or Trick Room. But Protect is all about predicting and if you mispredict Protect you could have bad consequences :/
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #2258
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Baby's first Sableye experience. (VGC 2014, 13 turns)

Spoiler: show
One thing I simultaneously like and loathe about the VGC format is the sheer amount of combo strategies that exist. Most of these combos just couldn't exist in Singles per the nature of the format. Not because Singles is a fast-hitting, hard-hitting format. (Though there's that!) Not because Singles has every creature available whereas VGC is limited to the Kalos roster. (Though there's that too!) But because many of these strategies fundamentally are impossible to carry out when you can only have one Pokémon out at a time.

This was my first experience facing a Psych Up team. It was definitely scary and the only reason I won in the end is because my prayers to the hax gods were heard and I was delivered the critical hits I so desperately needed to take out first Furfrou and later Umbreon.

My relationship with Fake Out, much like my relationship with Protect, is a love/hate relationship that is on again / off again as frequently as an eight-year old child flips a light switch. This battle sees on Turn 1 two examples of my hatred for the respective moves:
  1. I couldn't lead with Kangaskhan because experience tells me that it's pointless to do that when they're going to lead with Mienshao and use out Fake Out against me before I can use it against them.
  2. I had Talonflame use Protect only for him to be the recipient of absolutely zero attacks on Turn 1.
With a burned physical attacker and a bird dicking around doing nothing, I felt by the end of Turn 1 that my chances for winning this game were already out the door. But I stuck around anyway, grasping for critical hit hax, and sure enough I ended up getting it right when I needed it. A critical hit takes out Sableye ... another critical hit deals massive damage to Furfrou ... a third deals massive damage to Umbreon. These frequent critical hits on the PS server illustrate the perils in running a defensive team on PS. Crit hit hax is omnipresent and there's no defensive counterpart to balance things out for stall fans. (No one ever says, "Critical resistance! I take 1% HP damage this turn! Fuck yeah! " because critical resistance isn't a thing. ^^; )

Still stuck languishing in the 1100s. I think my current score is 1160? Earlier today it was as low as 1048. Not good.

Not sure which is worse ... (VGC 2014, 8 turns)

I'm not sure which is worse: getting so utterly boned by this gimmick team? Or getting so utterly boned by a guy whose score had been only 1033 before he faced me. (And yes, I know: I've been that low too. But still.)

How do you work around this strategy? Seriously, I'd like to know. I'm sure there's a way but I'm just as sure it doesn't exist on any of my current teams.

~_~ (VGC 2014; 6 turns)

That retarded critical hit of his against Kangaskhan on Turn 1 ...

All things considered, I feel like I did a good job trying to come back from that. Had his Talonflame not gotten another critical with that Flare Blitz, I don't know that his Mega Gyarados would've managed to finish off Rotom-W on Turn 6; and, depending on whether I got a larger-than-average Discharge off of my own, that coupled with the burn might've given me the win. Oh well. :\

Last edited by Talon87; 05-30-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #2259
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
>Talon

A taunt by Sableye should take care of it.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #2260
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Re: That cool team with the Gengar and Raichu

Taunt seems like it rains on their parade pretty hard. Or Sleep. Basically something to make sure they can't attack every turn, because the strategy seems pretty dependent on being able to do that- Being unable to use Protect or Volt Switch would utterly ruin the strategy.

EDIT: Fallen_Ninja
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #2261
Emi

Prankster Taunt literally is the only way. Perish Song Meg Gengar is still hilariously viable in doubles.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #2262
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Or you can use Aerodactyl :O Even if you're slower, Taunt it anyways and the KO it lol
Squad Summary

Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #2263
Talon87
時の彼方へ

>Talon why don't you run Taunt
>Talon why don't you run Fake Out
>Talon why don't you run Protect, gotta run Protect

ARGH! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ I ONLY HAVE FOUR MOVE SLOTS PER CREATURE. THIS FORMAT!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #2264
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Taunt is only necessary on one Pokemon per team, adn you can judge whether you need it or not from team preview. Also Quick Guard is better on Talonflame than Protect due to utility

EDIT: Nugget Bridge(<3) is hosting a tournament on PS, PO, and Wifi, so go sign up here if you want in. Beware: Top 4 has to be in the game :O
Squad Summary

Last edited by rotomotorz; 05-30-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #2265
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Quote:
>Talon why don't you run Taunt
>Talon why don't you run Fake Out
>Talon why don't you run Protect, gotta run Protect

ARGH! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ I ONLY HAVE FOUR MOVE SLOTS PER CREATURE. THIS FORMAT!
Well you said you ran Sableye so lol you can just run like

Fake Out
Taunt
Will-o-Wisp
Recover/Protect
Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #2266
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
Well you said you ran Sableye
Having never run Sableye in my life, I'd be interested to know where and when you thought I said this. (Rhetorically. No worries. It happens.)
Old 05-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #2267
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Quote:
Baby's first Sableye experience. (VGC 2014, 13 turns)

One thing I simultaneously like and loathe about the VGC format is the sheer amount of combo strategies that exist. Most of these combos just couldn't exist in Singles per the nature of the format. Not because Singles is a fast-hitting, hard-hitting format. (Though there's that!) Not because Singles has every creature available whereas VGC is limited to the Kalos roster. (Though there's that too!) But because many of these strategies fundamentally are impossible to carry out when you can only have one Pokémon out at a time.

This was my first experience facing a Psych Up team. It was definitely scary and the only reason I won in the end is because my prayers to the hax gods were heard and I was delivered the critical hits I so desperately needed to take out first Furfrou and later Umbreon.

My relationship with Fake Out, much like my relationship with Protect, is a love/hate relationship that is on again / off again as frequently as an eight-year old child flips a light switch. This battle sees on Turn 1 two examples of my hatred for the respective moves:
  1. I couldn't lead with Kangaskhan because experience tells me that it's pointless to do that when they're going to lead with Mienshao and use out Fake Out against me before I can use it against them.
  2. I had Talonflame use Protect only for him to be the recipient of absolutely zero attacks on Turn 1.
With a burned physical attacker and a bird dicking around doing nothing, I felt by the end of Turn 1 that my chances for winning this game were already out the door. But I stuck around anyway, grasping for critical hit hax, and sure enough I ended up getting it right when I needed it. A critical hit takes out Sableye ... another critical hit deals massive damage to Furfrou ... a third deals massive damage to Umbreon. These frequent critical hits on the PS server illustrate the perils in running a defensive team on PS. Crit hit hax is omnipresent and there's no defensive counterpart to balance things out for stall fans. (No one ever says, "Critical resistance! I take 1% HP damage this turn! Fuck yeah! " because critical resistance isn't a thing. ^^; )

Still stuck languishing in the 1100s. I think my current score is 1160? Earlier today it was as low as 1048. Not good.

Not sure which is worse ... (VGC 2014, 8 turns)

I'm not sure which is worse: getting so utterly boned by this gimmick team? Or getting so utterly boned by a guy whose score had been only 1033 before he faced me. (And yes, I know: I've been that low too. But still.)

How do you work around this strategy? Seriously, I'd like to know. I'm sure there's a way but I'm just as sure it doesn't exist on any of my current teams.

~_~ (VGC 2014; 6 turns)

That retarded critical hit of his against Kangaskhan on Turn 1 ...

All things considered, I feel like I did a good job trying to come back from that. Had his Talonflame not gotten another critical with that Flare Blitz, I don't know that his Mega Gyarados would've managed to finish off Rotom-W on Turn 6; and, depending on whether I got a larger-than-average Discharge off of my own, that coupled with the burn might've given me the win. Oh well. :\
Well this but I also didn't read through so :x Yeah sorry about that, but you might want to look into Sableye!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #2268
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Sableye is admittedly not that great because the only fast status users are M-Gengar and Aerodactyl and Aerodactyl can deal with the rest of them while also providing joint Tailwind and/or Wide Guard support, While Sableye can use Fake Out but otherwise its fairly dead weight against any special attackers and priority burns are done better by Mega Banette anyways
Squad Summary

Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #2269
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Re: Perish Song

Well I got around that retarded Restaurant Le Wow packing Feint. Maybe you should consider picking up the move?

It BREAKS protect, not just INFILTRATES it. It's ideally a doubles move because it lets you take out threats.

While Ghosts are immune to the damage portion, it will still break the Protect, Detect, Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Spiky Shield, etc. on them.

In a mode dominated by Protect I'd call this pretty damn useful; give it a shot. You can use it to take out the Shadow Taggers and rotate your Pokemon out, giving you a much larger window of opportunity to destroy them.

It's a very cleverly designed team, however. Me likey.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #2270
Red Panda
head head bitch

Risky Maneuvering
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #2271
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Feint is so good Goodra's getting use in VGC these days. Also for being immune to seeds but still
Squad Summary

Old 06-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #2272
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein words are mightier than moves. (Doubles Random Battle, 25 turns)

I don't understand it when people do this. (This is the second time this has happened to me, a different person each time.) It's down to one Pokémon remaining on either side. Neither of us can beat the other. It's going to come down to a PP stall war. We're keeping our cards close to our chests, trying not to reveal what moves we have until we must. While all four of mine have long since been revealed, my opponent keeps his fourth move a secret until Turn 24. Upon seeing it, it becomes a simple bit of arithmetic to figure out who is going to win and who is going to lose:
  • Talon's Gliscor: 61 attacks remaining
    • Stealth Rock: 24/32
    • Roost: 15/16
    • Substitute: 7/16
    • Earthquake: 15/16
  • CCC's Giratina-O: ?? attacks remaining
    • Aura Sphere: ??/32
    • Substitute: 15/16
    • Dragon Tail: ??/16
    • Will-o-Wisp: 23/24
Because my opponent has the potential for up to eight total attacks greater than me (our 32s cancel, two of our 16s cancel, but then I'm left with a 16 where he has a 24), it's more than likely that I am going to run out of PP before he does. Not 100% guaranteed -- I am too lazy to scroll up and find out when Gliscor came out and when Giratina did -- but 99% guaranteed since I don't think Gliscor came out a full eight turns later than Giratina did.

So anyway ... we both know we're in a PP stall fight, we both know one another's movesets, and so I address the elephant in the room and ask him for an honest PP tally. Rather than say, "You first," which in this case I'd be happy to since I'd be 99% certain I genuinely have less PP than he does ... and rather than say how much he has remaining first himself ... he just leaves. Uhh ... why? I don't understand. Why would you (rage?)quit when asked to share how much PP you have left yet you're perfectly happy to waste nearly twenty out of twenty-five turns engaging in the more distasteful activity of PP stalling? Like, wouldn't you welcome a chance to end things prematurely through diplomacy? Wouldn't you at least laugh at me for my diplomatic gesture if you suspected it was a dishonest ploy? Why would you quit? Why would you forfeit a game you believe yourself to have won, a game you had to have CLEARLY recognized was a PP stall war before I said anything, just because I spoke up and asked you for a tally of how much PP you had left?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #2273
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
UU just got a hell of a lot more interesting with the new drops. Alakazite and Volc are gonna get the Boot ASAP, but the others I don't see being a problem.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #2274
Red Panda
head head bitch

So, just played Randbats. Had Arceus Ground. Here's the set:

Arceus-Ground@Earth Plate
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Recover
-Fucking Calm Mind

But seriously, what went wrong with the moveset generator? This was a major contributor to me losing the game, because the opponent mostly had stuff that was immune or resisted ground, so without the extra coverage I was seriously boned.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #2275
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
So, just played Randbats. Had Arceus Ground. Here's the set:

Arceus-Ground@Earth Plate
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Recover
-Fucking Calm Mind

But seriously, what went wrong with the moveset generator? This was a major contributor to me losing the game, because the opponent mostly had stuff that was immune or resisted ground, so without the extra coverage I was seriously boned.
Here you go:

Quote:
Triple post, apologies, but I've got a question for you, phoopes.

(Click for full size.)

My understanding with PS Random Battle movesets is this:
  • a veteran member of the community drew up a list of vetted movesets for creatures
  • an RNG determines which of these pre-made movesets you get
So like, Nasty Plot / Air Slash / Aura Sphere / Roost would be one Togekiss set with one random value and Air Slash / Aura Sphere / Thunder Wave / Roost would be another Togekiss set with a different random value. Which one you get is decided by the RNG.

Blaze was saying that the way it actually works is:
  1. PS has established a list of 6-10 moves that are appropriate for any particular Random Battle creature.
  2. An RNG assigns you your four moves as it pulls from this pool of 6-10 moves.
So for example, the Togekiss pool might contain Air Slash, Aura Sphere, Roost, Thunder Wave, Nasty Plot, Substitute, and Wish and it's up to the RNG to determine which four of these moves you're going to get.

Which one of us is correct, if either? And if it's me who's correct ... then can you please ask the staff to look into the Infernape pictured above? ^^; I've seen him twice (three special attacks + Swords Dance) and it's really dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
>Talon

Blaze is the correct one in the RandBat moveset thing. It's really dumb, I know, as you can get some trash movesets at times. Don't think there are any plans on changing it at the moment however.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON