UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #226
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Saw MacGruber. It was a bit awkward and cheesy. I totally understand why people didn't go out to theaters to watch it.

Saw Batman: Under the Red Hood. Wow it was a major WTF? movie. Batman punches Red Hood, knocking his face into a toilet seat, which breaks. And guess what? He gets back up. Next punch knocks him through a sink. Gets up. Knee to the face. Gets up. Punch and headbutt. Gets up. Punches through a wall. YES I SHIT YOU NOT! THROUGH A WALL! Granted the building is condemned and is falling apart, but when your face goes through that much ceramic from punches, you should easily have a concussion at the very least.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 AM   #227
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I have a few.

I went to see Jackass 3 an hour early and came in while Paranormal Activity 2 was going on. What the fuck is this? Is this trying to be scary, or is it trying to seem like it really happened? Well whichever it was, this movie did a terrible job of both, and even though I only watched the last hour of it, that hour was still the worst kind of torture I have endured in a while. Sad thing is, I bet fans of this movie are retarded enough to believe this shit's real.

Jackass 3 was incredibly stupid as well, but in a good way. It's not as good as the previous two, but it was enough to make me laugh a few times.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #228
Silver Wind
breezy metallics~

Togepi

Martyrs, what the fuck? It took me abit to find a subbed version, but it was worth it. French people are fucked in the head
Silver Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #229
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Saw HP 7.1

It was really good, the best movie since the third. The magic wasn't there, but it was an exciting film to watch, moreso than the last three despite having less action. The forest scenes were long and boring, but they accomplished something, which earns point with me.

I have a pretty feeble attention span, so that this movie could hold me for more than two hours without bathroom breaks is an accomplishment itself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-21-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: freudian slip, tree - three, those forest scenes!
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #230
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Harry Potter 7.1 is pretty good, as it turns out, coming from someone who hasn't really enjoyed the rest of the series much. Some hilarious lines in places which lighten the mood for a moment (plus the whole cinema was in hysterics at the most cringeworthy scenes), but still the darkest so far by a long way - the opening scene is actually quite shocking. The advantage of splitting it into two parts has been pretty clear - it's been much more faithful to the book than prior films (which is good, after the travesty the sixth film made of my favourite book in the series).
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #231
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I had no interest in going to see this film after hearing how horribly the sixth film strayed from its source material, cutting the best aspect of the book out and introducing scenes in its place which never existed before; but it sounds like this one will be a guaranteed rental from me come Summer 2011 when the second half is released in theaters.

I've not seen any new movies recently, though I did see the trailer for Black Swan when a friend tweeted it. Uhh ..... .
Spoiler: show
It'd be pretty cool if she really was turning into a bird for God knows what reason, but it'd also be pretty "WTF". In all likelihood, she's probably just losing her mind: but that's not nearly as cool as "holy shit swan transformation". I suppose the entire reason to see this film after seeing the trailer is to secure the answer to that question: "Does she really metamorphose? Yes or no?" Or ... I could just read the plot summary on Wikipedia once it's fleshed out.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #232
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's definitely rent material, but beware to not end up like my sister, who missed out on HBP's theatrical debut and never bothered to watch the movie on DVD because of the middling reviews. She procrastinated until last Friday, when I wanted to see the midnight showing but she couldn't see 7.1 without having seen the sixth one first. So we postponed the session until yesterday, whereby she came home and still didn't have enough time to finish, only having seen about an hour and half of HBP before we were forced to head to the theatre to get a seat (an hour early, with good reason).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #233
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
but beware to not end up like my sister
No worries. I've read 7 once, 6 twice, and the other five three times each. Thus I could probably watch Movie 7 without ever laying a finger on Movie 6 and be just fine. Probably wouldn't hurt to refresh my memory on Book 7 -- and that's precisely why I'm 257 pages in, having just started this morning. So I'll re-read that and then shelve Pottermania until the summer, by which time the contents of the book will still be fresh enough that I won't be lost but will be dim enough that I won't be bored out of my mind watching a 5-hour film that covers a 700-page plot I just read.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #234
Torkoal Stu
This

I didn't want to reallllllly drag up this thread but I equally didn't want to start a new thread to ask a question.

Has anyone seen Thor? And would recommend it?
I really want to see it but the cinema is such a rip off these days so I didn't want to see Thor unless someone would recommend it to me and thought it was worth the money.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #235
Shinjara
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Shinjara Send a message via MSN to Shinjara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
I didn't want to reallllllly drag up this thread but I equally didn't want to start a new thread to ask a question.

I really want to see it but the cinema is such a rip off these days so I didn't want to see Thor unless someone would recommend it to me and thought it was worth the money.
Sorry to derail the thread but ...

SSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!<3

Level 100Level 100Level 82Level 64Level 43
Level 53Level 50Level 39Level 40Level 34
Shinjara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #236
Loki

btw, Thor comes out on May 5th. So unless someone went into the editing room and stole it, I don't think anyone has seen it.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #237
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Can't rule out time traveling, Loki.

Strangely, this is not the first time I've said that to you.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #238
Loki

SSSHHHHHHHH! Don't let the common people know we have the technology!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #239
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
Obligatory Penny Arcade comic about how Thor is the KKK's superhero movie of choice.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #240
AshsBabyLapras
reason for my life

Lapras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
btw, Thor comes out on May 5th. So unless someone went into the editing room and stole it, I don't think anyone has seen it.
It's out over here... :x But us Aussies are used to living in the future.

I haven't seen it though, Stubiekins, sorry. >: I'd say it promises to be half naked and muscular, though.

すれ違うだけの距離が歯痒い 手を伸ばせば届きそうなのに
意味があるのなら教えて欲しい 締め付ける胸の痛みの
「イツダッテ ウソミタイ アイシタテ ノ ユメミライ」

f i z z y b u b b l e s | w i l d f u t u r e

Quote:
morningstar - Today at 12:46 PM
her whole being is Arashi

AshsBabyLapras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #241
Torkoal Stu
This

The reason I asked is because it was out in the UK this week and I figured it'd come out in the US before hand but I guess I was wrong?

But thanks for the help everyone either way~ I think I'll just take a risk and give it a shot next week xd

EDIT: I only just saw use of half naked and muscular xd;

Last edited by Torkoal Stu; 04-27-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #242
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

The guy starring in it is an Aussie, so we get it first in those instances. I think we got Wolverine first too by the same logic.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #243
Bluejolteon
Boulder Badge

its a film about a thinder god blowing stuff up, even if a film is terible in every other way explosions always make it worthwhile(some ppl will disagree)

You talkin to me?
Bluejolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #244
Loki

Yeah. About everyone over 10 yrs old.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #245
deoxys
Fog Badge

So... movies...

Thor? Was it good? Green Lantern? Anyone going to see Michael Bay's Giant Changing Robots in 3D?

I saw "X-men: First Class", and I actually really enjoyed it for the most part. It wasn't awful, nor was it amazing, but it was fairly entertaining, and in my opinion the best X-men yet, so I suppose I got my money's worth.

Oh... and there's this movie, coming out soon. I couldn't finish the trailer. It's so... awful. Mainly because it's Rock em, Sock em Robots: The Movie.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #246
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't like comic book movies (since I don't like comic books in general), but my Dad practically begged me to see the Green Lantern movie with him, so we saw it last Sunday.

It was OK. I hate the token romance angle but it was sort of downplayed. The guy who played Green Lantern was good. But-

1. There was no tension in the movie.
2. There wasn't enough CG.
3. The most interesting part of the movie, the aliens and their worlds, were hardly touched on.

6/10
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #247
Loki

You really don't know much about American comics huh?

Green Lantern's Hal Jordan had most of his adventures on Earth. Despite being an intergalactic police officer, he liked to stay close to home.

Personally I only give it a +1 over your overall score mostly because there was a heavy setup for a possible next movie. Without any comic background, it is hard to see them, but it's rather enjoyable seeing it come up.

The only things I really disliked was how illogical the final fight was. A giant soul sucking, shapeshifting mass that flies across space can lose like that? Seriously?

Anyway, a lot of movies are based on comics/graphic novels which many people never know they were comics to begin with. This includes "A History of Violence" which won an Oscar, "Road to Perdition," "Ghost World," "MIB," "American Splendor," all of which have a fairly popular following of people who didn't touch comics.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #248
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I will correct myself. I don't like super-hero movies and Marvel is at the top of my short list. I'm more receptive toward the DC stuff.

I get what you're saying about Jordan, but one of the big reasons my Dad pitched to get me to see this movie is "Green Lantern is a lot different from other super-hero films". So I can't say my expectations weren't raised just a little bit. I really hate the moral dilemma/accepting responsibility angle that's omnipresent in these super-hero films, as well as the romance angle. It's too predictable, and nothing bores/irritates me more than predictability. For example, the moment I knew Parallax was practically invincible, I figured Jordan would somehow tie in that gravity technique he flashed earlier in the film. And the yellow ring wasn't a Chekhov's Gun so much as it was outright saying there was going to be a sequel.

MIB was awesome. But I haven't seen a film that good in a long time. The last really awesome live action flick I saw (theatres or no) was Star Trek two years ago.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 06-23-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #249
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Also, I forgot to mention Green Lantern was the first ever movie I've seen in 3D. I missed out on Avatar because I was anal about seeing it in IMAX, and so failed to see it in theatres at all.

I wasn't impressed and was rather disappointed at the ticket premium. Sure, I noticed some of the effects at first, but it never "wow'd" me and practically disappeared into the screen after the first 12 minutes. I saw it in RealD, so I dunno if that had anything to do with it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #250
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I saw Thor. It was pretty good. I also saw X-men. It was better.

Then I saw Green Lantern. The romance shit really killed it for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment