UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Looks like I won't get to re-rewatch Tamers just yet. NickToons is only going with Adventures 01, and Netflix only has Adventures 01 and 02 (as of Sunday, when I last watched Digimon). Hopefully this changes soon, because that's the only series I haven't seen 100% yet....well that and Savers since I never knew it existed until after it aired.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
EmeraldGoblin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
Looks like I won't get to re-rewatch Tamers just yet. NickToons is only going with Adventures 01, and Netflix only has Adventures 01 and 02 (as of Sunday, when I last watched Digimon). Hopefully this changes soon, because that's the only series I haven't seen 100% yet....well that and Savers since I never knew it existed until after it aired.
i always liked the spanish dub, they never censor anything
EmeraldGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Probably old news, but one of the Nickelodeon channels will be airing a new Digimon series tomorrow after Power Rangers Megaforce.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Been watching the Japanese version of Digimon Tamers (with English subtitles). Was surprised when Terriermon started speaking Cantonese. Calumon is totally adorbs. Voice in the English dub were a bit better, but I noticed a lot less joking around, which felt better. A lot of the jokes always felt forced or out of place, so it's nice to see that the original script didn't have most of them.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In my experience with Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Cardcaptor Sakura (series which I have watched both with English and with Japanese audio), that was generally something that was done back then. The whole "forcing corny comedy into dialogue where it wasn't originally" routine. I don't think Digimon's dub was a 4Kids affair, but to be perfectly honest the Digimon dub was 10x worse than the Pokémon dub with regards to incessant cheesy jokes, not better, so I'm not sure establishing a 4Kids connection really even matters. The point is, American dubs of Japanese cartoons tended to have more corny jokes in them than the original Japanese cartoons themselves.

I'm quite surprised to learn though that any character in a Japanese children's cartoon was speaking Cantonese. That's both impressive and neat. Or do you mean he just says occasional things in Cantonese while most of his dialogue is still in standard Tokyo dialect Japanese?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #31
Loki

It was only Terriermon's catchphrase, but he uses it like every episode and it's spoken perfectly. But Henry's (Jenrya in Japanese) father was supposedly from Hong Kong.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #32
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
"Henry" was Chinese, so it's not surprising (to me at least) there might be some foreign language thrown in there. At least, not as surprising as I would have been about 5 years ago. At least before seeing the Kiruminzoo opening.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
Loki

Up to Episode 16 and they're starting the "Super Happy Fun Time Just Before the Big Dark Story Arc That Will Depress Everyone and Make You Feel Bad For The Characters." Earlier than I thought it would be considering how many episodes there are.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
Loki

Leomon appeared and I certainly do not remember this lady-boner Katou has for him. It's like downright creepy and I totally understand Leomon's desire to run away from her every time.

Katou: *bats eyelashes* "Can I call you... Big Daddy Leomon?"
Leomon: "GDI you're a fifth grader! Get away from me!" *runs away*
Katou: "I didn't hear a no!" *chases after him*

NOTE: Not actual dialogue.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #35
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That shouldn't be surprising. She's a girl, they're way into fur.

*shot*
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #36
Loki

GDI can Culumon amp the cuteness factor up to like 20 out of 10. He even had an absolutely adorable song.

And then they had another creepy face episode, this time with Orochimon giving creepy grins to Katou before kidnapping her. Then she shouts to everyone she'll be okay, she's used to dealing with drunkards....

Wow can that be taken the wrong way. I also don't remember any of this. Was it in the dub?

EDIT: Sake in the Japanese version was changed to milkshakes in the English dub. lulz. So why did Orochimon get a lecherous look from milkshakes?

Last edited by Loki; 09-16-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #37
Loki

Ok, finished all the episodes of Digimon Tamers. Did not remember that ending being so messed up at the end with why the Digimon had to go back to the Digital World. The reasoning felt kind of forced and cruel.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #38
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's refreshing. Most endings these days are too sappy sweet. Japan has a cultural history of tragic endings and it's gone by the wayside in recent years.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #39
Loki

Well, it was entirely sad, they had that last moment of "There's still hope" deal going. What bothered me was how it felt out of character for Henry's dad. He seemed to be okay with the idea of the Digimon being friends with the children, but then suddenly at the end he basically screwed them all over out of some random fear he gained for that last moment.

Also, I thought it was super weird how they kept shoving Ryo in our faces and constantly saying, "Check out this badass! It's Ryo!" He seemed to constantly upstage the main three characters every time. He had been the first human in the Digital World. He had the insanely powerful Cyberdramon. He killed a Deva without any real effort. And then at the end, after the main characters had to learn to Bio-Merge with their Digimon after some deep character building, Ryo just showed up out of nowhere already Bio-Merged and like "Yeah, I'm fucking awesome." Did everyone like Ryo that much that he could just do that? Show up out of nowhere and be auto-awesome just cause fans would love Tamers a tiny bit more cause he existed.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #40
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I dunno if you know much about Ryo, but he's basically a dimension traveling Mary Sue. The Ryo in Tamers is the same Ryo who befriended Ken Ichijouji during his first foray into the Digital World, and Adventure/02 is a children's show in the world of Tamers. Ryo maintained his fanbase from when he starred in the Digimon games so it's understandable that he'd still be as big of a reality warping entity in Tamers itself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #41
Loki

Don't get me wrong, I understand he has a fanbase, but it felt so weird that they just had him randomly show up, then randomly be better than everyone at everything. He even did the only seemingly damaging blow to the D-Reaper after asking Sakuyamon for her energy and risking his life to do it. Like, did he really need to upstage all the characters which were in fact heavily developed in the somewhat slow early stages of the show for fangasm?

Also, this scene broke my mind.
Spoiler: show
BORKED
Link
Cuteness factor too high. Brain must shut down.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #42
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Just finished watching Adventures 2. I missed more episodes than I thought. Plus it got pretty dark at the end, especially when MaloMyotismon killed Arukenimon. I bet the Japanese version is even more graphic.

Sadly, until Netflix and/or NickToons catches up with Tamers, that'll be as far as I go. =\
Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #43
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I am so confused.

Is Digimon Fusion a season I've just never heard of? And what the heck is a 'digicross', and how is it different from DNA digivolution? My mind is so full of fuck.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #44
Loki

You know you are on the internet right?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #45
Mew The Gato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Don't get me wrong, I understand he has a fanbase, but it felt so weird that they just had him randomly show up, then randomly be better than everyone at everything. He even did the only seemingly damaging blow to the D-Reaper after asking Sakuyamon for her energy and risking his life to do it. Like, did he really need to upstage all the characters which were in fact heavily developed in the somewhat slow early stages of the show for fangasm?

Also, this scene broke my mind.
Spoiler: show
BORKED
Link
Cuteness factor too high. Brain must shut down.
Although a lot of things in Digimon have to be be assembled. The pieces are scattered everywhere. Milleniumon and Ryo do not remain so random once you learn about the events of the Wonderswan Games. He has had his own adventures, and even become temporary partners with all of the original chosen Digimon... which is strange, as this has never been mentioned.

Ken's flashbacks only provide cameos for him, and nothing more. It subtly serves to make the Wonderswan Games canon and shed light on Ken's past. (Although making him appear without explanation and take down Milleniumon raises more questions than it answers.) Ken never even mentioned him, which is strange. If they were good friends to the point of Ken risking himself to get Ryo out of the way of the Dark Spores, why did Ken never have some angst about him? He seemed to think about Ryo and remember him, proven by his flashbacks, but still, he never seemed to consider him a significant presence...?

Tamers at least gave some characterization to him, introducing him as The Ace. It is a subtle, yet nice way, actually, to connect the Digimon timelines. Although it is nonetheless still strange how he ended up in the Tamers universe. The whole "Adventure Series being TV Shows" issue was added in the English Version, if I recall correctly, so that point is out of the picture.

He did not really upstage all the others, though. Gallantmon Crimson Mode dealt much more damage, and killed a D-Reaper Agent that even the Sovereigns themselves feared. Although it could be argued that Guilmon, being Takato's partner, who is the main protagonist, getting the power is justified.

Oh, and Calumon is adorable as ever. So are the DigiGnomes.
Mew The Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #46
Loki

Ryo's power level was wildly above the others in so many ways. He basically got stuff just for being Ryo.

Takedo, Henry, and Rika all went through a character arc in order to get evolutions, mega evolutions, and biomerge evolutions. They all went through trials and hardships and even getting over their own issues to gain this. MEANWHILE, Ryo starts off with Cyberdramon. Ryo was nowhere near the Dobermon when it sacrificed itself to give the children the ability to Biomerge in the real world. And Ryo had never learned to Biomerge prior to that point, but 'lo and behold, he would end up having one of the strongest biomerge forms of the entire group.

Yes, Gallantmon was arguably the strongest, but Takedo went through a lot to get that. Ryo just got stuff just for being Ryo with little to no explanation on the show about why he should get it. It feels like a total cheat to me.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #47
Mew The Gato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Ryo's power level was wildly above the others in so many ways. He basically got stuff just for being Ryo.

Takedo, Henry, and Rika all went through a character arc in order to get evolutions, mega evolutions, and biomerge evolutions. They all went through trials and hardships and even getting over their own issues to gain this. MEANWHILE, Ryo starts off with Cyberdramon. Ryo was nowhere near the Dobermon when it sacrificed itself to give the children the ability to Biomerge in the real world. And Ryo had never learned to Biomerge prior to that point, but 'lo and behold, he would end up having one of the strongest biomerge forms of the entire group.

Yes, Gallantmon was arguably the strongest, but Takedo went through a lot to get that. Ryo just got stuff just for being Ryo with little to no explanation on the show about why he should get it. It feels like a total cheat to me.
Hm? As far as I remember, Ryo was struggling with the enemies, more than the other protagonists. Although Ryo is not a protagonist in Tamers.

Ryo went through a lot in the Wonderswan games, too. He had never been shown to get development in the actual anime, but his adventure exists in the Wonderswan games. He was already more experienced than the protagonists, and had taken on Milleniumon himself. (Who was actually with him in Cyberdramon form.) And about not knowing how to Biomerge, did the protagonists know about it, then? I do not recall someone giving them detailed explanations on how to biomerge, which means that not knowing how to do it is a moot point.

Justimon was most definitely not among the strongest or anything. Even with the help of Guardromon, MegaGargomon and Sakuyamon, he lost to ADR-06. Even with Sakuyamon sending all her energy to him, he failed to defeat ADR-08.

It may seem like a cheat when it comes to Tamers by itself, but not if you consider the Extended Universe...
Mew The Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #48
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Personally, I maintain that Tamers is the best of the Digimon seasons that I've watched (Adventure, 02, Tamers, Frontier). It's certainly held up the best over time and has a certain degree of grimdark maturity which I found refreshing. Yes, Wizardmon's demise was touching, but it didn't particularly have many repercussions afterwards, excepting Gatomon/Angewomon's storyline. Leomon's demise in Tamers, on the other hand, precipitated the D-Repear storyline, which frankly had the most Nightmare Fuel material. A creepy computer program masquerading as the Hero's love interest, while the Hero gives a love confession? Said computer program feeding off the love interest's grief to spawn equally creepy tendrils? And this is meant to be a kids show?

Furthermore, I found it a bit odd that the DigiDestined didn't really do much in Adventure/02 except for using their emotional powers to fuel the Crests/Digivolution. In Tamers, the introduction of Scanner Cards involved the heroes more directly in the battles, making the battles more visceral and engaging.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #49
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Hey guys, I was inspired by this thread and decided to create a Digimon RPG in our new UPN RPG Subforums. It's based off Adventures and 02, so oldfans and newfans are both welcome to join. Come on and give it a go.

Thread- Digimon: SPECTRUM ::]-[:: An Adventures RPG
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #50
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

BORKED

The Digimon Adventure 15th Anniversary Event announced on Friday that the characters of the first Digimon Adventure anime are returning next spring. The video shown at the end of the event described the main character Taichi as being 17 years old in high school with his Digimon partner Agumon. The sequel anime series will tell a “new story” “for all the ‘DigiDestined’ in the world.” “Now, [once] again, the adventure evolves.” A pamphlet at the event revealed that production on the series has already begun.

Source: ANN
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime