Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Spoiler: show
My thoughts:

There's a reason why drought + chlorophyll is banned in regular matches. -.-
Actually, if ti was not for the Speed boost from Flareon, he is pretty slow for a Chloro user. ;)
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #203
Emi

Not much to say here.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #204
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Drought + Chlorophyll:
As I explained to Blaze in the chatroom on P-O, I had honestly quite forgotten about Gary having a Ninetales ... even though I was the one who wrote it on the very first day in Post #1 of this thread. ^^; Had I remembered that, I would have probably banned Drought Ninetales. However, my mind was so focused on Drizzle Politoed + Swift Swim Kingdra or Hydration {various} that it completely slipped past me.

However, I quite like the idea of Green having a Drought Ninetales. A, he's supposed to be one of the most powerful trainers that ever was. He became the Champion at the age of 10, only a year into his training. He then went on to become the owner of the renovated Viridian City gym at the young age of 13. So I quite fancy the idea that Green ought to be somebody who is very, very difficult to defeat. Even Lance lost to him in the story. (And apparently history repeated itself today in the match. ^^; ) Whether Red can withstand him or not remains to be seen -- Blaze is taking the competitive aspects of this tournament a leeeeettle too seriously XD and with his huge arsenal of Pokémon and my pretty predictable seven, he already has the metagame upper-hand in terms of being able to craft a team hand-picked to beat mine. But even I welcome that challenge. It's okay if I lose to Gary.

'Cause if I beat Gary ... oh yeah. *puts on shades*

In our practice matches, I won the first round, but then he figured out my team and won the next two while switching things up on his end. It's a very uphill battle, and I encourage everyone to try and check it out whenever it happens.

Tournament Standings:
The battle video logs and the tournament standings have both been updated. I have an exam tonight so (1) no battles for me and (2) you guys can suffer the lack of an updated image file for one night, can't you? But in the mean time, all of the newest battle videos and scores are posted.

Please check your scores! If you think I got a number wrong, let me know.

Please check to see that all of your rounds are in the battle video log section! If there are any missing battles, it means I didn't get a tournament battle log. If it wasn't posted, please post it here. If there wasn't one, I'll need both of you to PM me confirmation regarding who won. If there was one and it was also posted, then I missed it, and would appreciate it if you just PM'd me the link. I apologize for missing any links I may have missed. Went through the thread pretty meticulously but you guys just keep battling while I try to edit these posts!

Disqualifications Section On Hold:
Like I said, I have an exam here in a few hours and still haven't prepped dinner, so yeah. That's going to have to wait until tomorrow. For now ... just don't break any rules! XP If you have questions or concerns, post them here. Thanks.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #205
Emi

Another match for a win. This one was a little bit more undecided than the last two, but, this was still a good one and I enjoyed it.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #206
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
However, I quite like the idea of Green having a Drought Ninetales. A, he's supposed to be one of the most powerful trainers that ever was. He became the Champion at the age of 10, only a year into his training. He then went on to become the owner of the renovated Viridian City gym at the young age of 13. So I quite fancy the idea that Green ought to be somebody who is very, very difficult to defeat.
This attitude seems counter-intuative to the whole "fun tournament". Even allowing people to switch their main 6 seems stupid to me now since everyone knows each others team. Hell, even the second time I fought you talon you threw on two water types just for me. That's kind of gay.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #207
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Why would Double Team not be allowed? P-O will tell you if a given move is creature-legal for a given generation and format. (In fact, it will not allow you to enter that generation+format cobmination if it is!) If it's a question of Double Team's cheapness or haxness or whatever ... *ahem* ... deal with it.

(I go on a rant here. Could be barking up the wrong tree. You tell me. ^^;)
(1) For God's sake, guys, he's gotten Will! You guys are acting like Double Team Will is suddenly six Choice Bands Gary or something. For the love of ...! Some of you have some of the best NPCs the game has ever known. Ordinary measures won't allow the Elite Four to stand much of a chance. Which is why each and every one of them has come up with some pretty clever strategies for winning. And they seem to be working. (Or in poor Concept's case, coming ridiculously close to working.) If Double Team is how Xander intends to even the playing field between himself and the Champion-wielding competitors, then I say good for him. He's gotta do what he's gotta do.

(2) It's your own fault if you chose not to run Haze or Roar, Dragon Tail, Whirlwind, or other pHazing moves. (Some did. I have already seen at least one person use the Haze and countless others use Whirlwind and Dragon Tail during this tournament. Kudos to them for their foresight and planning ahead.)

(3) If it's a question of "But I don't liiiiiiike hax! D:", deal with it. "Hax" is a part of the game and, while we all like to joke about it, sometimes it can go too far when people take themselves too seriously and think that pure aggro is somehow inherently "superior" to other, more haxy strategies. Paraflinch Togekiss is legit. ToxicStall is legit. If you don't like them, I'm sorry, but tough.

If there's something I don't know -- like if P-O is glitching and is allowing Double Team on an illegal creature or a legal creature but with a moveset that would then be illegal -- then that's one thing. But if this is just a case of people saying "But I don't like it ," I'm sorry, but I've zero sympathy for that. If Will (Xander) has been able to beat any of you guys by making good use of a DT strategy, then good for him.

I mean, FFS, guys: in-game B/W Cynthia's Spiritomb's strategy is to 6 DT it up and have Pressure wheedle away your best moves. It doesn't always work for her, but I can't tell you the number of times I sat there for 20+ turns trying to hit this 6 DT'd Spiritomb and all because I'd gotten greedy with Volcarona and tried to go for the Quiver Dance sweep.
Talon, I love you forever.

Just popping in to say I love how this style forces people to come up with unorthodox strategies for mon that aren't usually used.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #208
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Quote:
This attitude seems counter-intuative to the whole "fun tournament". Even allowing people to switch their main 6 seems stupid to me now since everyone knows each others team. Hell, even the second time I fought you talon you threw on two water types just for me. That's kind of gay.
In hindsight, I probably should have whacked Murkrow and Honchkrow on my team to fight Blaze, but I like the six I have.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #209
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
My thoughts:

There's a reason why drought + chlorophyll is banned in regular matches. -.-
Uh, Drought+Chlorophyll ISN'T banned in regular matches. Only Drizzle+Swift Swim.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #210
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
UPN proudly presents an Indigo Plateau grudge match of epic propotions...

There are many matches I've wanted to comment on, but this was one of the most thematically epic of them all, both for IRL reasons and for in-universe reasons.

IRL, Concept entered this match with 0 wins to 5 losses. Almost each and every last one of those losses had been an 0-1 loss, meaning he had brought the opponent down to his very last Pokémon before dying. And yet each time, Fate ripped victory from Concept's clutches and handed it to his opponents. So for that reason, this turn-around battle was pretty friggin' epic. I felt bad for Xander, who himself is now 0 and 4, but it was a great win for Concept and one hell of an underdog story, becauuuuuuse ...

... in addition to the IRL reasons for this match being epic, there's also the in-universe reasons. Meaning this: Koga and Will are fellow Elite Four members. The anime has suggested in more recent seasons that the way the Elite Four ranks are determined is by its members battling amongst themselves for supremacy every so often. It's also been suggested that this is how an Elite Four might challenge the Champion for the championship title without having to go through the entire rigamarole of Indigo Plateau (like everybody else has to). So in that sense, this match-up between Koga and Will is pretty epic. They're fellow Elite Four members for the Indigo League, meaning that their match is basically one which will determine who is the bottom rung of the ladder and who is the one above him. But there's an extra layer in-universe which just adds to this story's juiciness: and that's the fact that, quite simply, Koga is the poison master, Will is the psychic master, and psychic trumps poison. So Koga, even though he's allegedly better than Will, is fighting a real uphill battle here. And it's not hard for us to imagine at all that Koga might lose his challenge to Will and, consequently, his position as E4 No.3 out of 4.

That's why this match was electrifying for me. Not every match plays out or can play out in a way that is fandom-satisfactory, but this was certainly one which did. Here you had Koga, Will's senior in age and Pokémon veteranship alike, defending his crown (so to speak) despite the enormous elemental disadvantage he was facing. Only one of Koga's team resists Psychic. In fact, the other five are all weak to it and one of them (Toxicroak) is 4x weak to it. And Will was naturally sporting six Psychic Pokémon. Insanely stacked-against-him odds for Koga. AND YET! The ninja master of Fuschia City proved why he deserves to be a member of the Elite Four and why he deserves to be ranked superior to Will.

Epic, epic match. Maybe not as epic metagame-wise as some of the others. Maybe not as epic hax-wise as some of the others (*cough* *cough* ANIMECHU!). But definitely epic when seen from a thematic POV. When you allow yourself to look at these battles not as Concept fighting Xander or Kuno fighting Talon or Speevy fighting Kratos, but as Koga defending his title against Will, as Lance challenging Red to see if the boy still has what it takes to be Kanto's Champion, as Steven challenging the fabulous water-type Gym Leader Wallace who up and moved into the Ever Grande League's HQ and made himself cozy on Steven's sofa ... when you look at the battles like that, when you use your imagination, the possibilities for entertainment blossom before you like petals on a spring cherry tree.

And what a spring cherry this battle was.

Last edited by Talon87; 11-07-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #211
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Talon you are such a fanboy. Did you set this whole thing up for your sick, perverse desires?

Ps. That's a joke. XP

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #212
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll put this in words you guys can understand:

CLOP CLOP CLOP CLOP

Jokes aside, glad you enjoyed the mini essay. At least one person read it! But yeah. That's how I see this tourney. That's how I'd love for you all to see this tourney. This was never, ever about being very serious. It was meant, and continues to be meant to be, a laid-back, fun tourney where we try to bring these characters to life and pit them against one another. It's like ... haven't you ever wondered who would win in a re-match between Blue and Red? Haven't you ever wondered who would win between Red and Cynthia? Haven't you ever wondered how the f00k Wallace replaced Steven as Hoenn's champ? Haven't you ever wondered why two of the four original Elite Four are gone but Bruno's still around while Lance fills in for Red as Kanto Champ? Even if our battles can't answer those questions -- even if the outcomes of our battles produce the opposite outcomes we may desire to see unfold -- the very fact that these clashes are happening should be like a thermite ball, sparking everyone's imaginations and making them wonder, "Hey yeaaaaaah ... I doooooooo wonder who would win between Bruno and Koga! And yeaaaaah .... I dooooooo wonder who would win between Alder and Cynthia! Oh man, this is so neat! " People can walk away from this tournament and fanfic it up (not literally, I just mean in their minds they can XP) and imagine all sorts of ramifications from a Champion League were we to ever see one in the anime and were it to be an all-inclusive rumble 'n' tumble between all 5+ regions. Can you seriously imagine a competition where the likes of Cynthia, Steven, Alder, and the mythical Red all do battle in order to attain the title of Pokémon Master? It's cool stuff.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #213
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Wish Salamence seems kinda borked. Salamence gets it from glitched breeding with NYPC Wish Blissey. It's not really designed to have Wish. While it's "legal" in the sense that you could get it in the game, it's comes at the price of a possible save data corruption in-game. No penalty on PO.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #214
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I am on PO awaiting Talon, blaze, Xander, or Speevy.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #215
Emi

I am on if you want to battle!

Also, Green may be weak to Daisy birds. I lost, by a lot. ;;
Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #216
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Alder wins. Accelgor and Stuffalont performed nicely.

Alder loses rather pitifully to a Cloyster.

Last edited by Tyranidos; 11-07-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Tyranidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #217
Emi

Comments:
This one was close. If I did not have Whit Herb on Cloyster, he could have kissed his ass goodbye. Accelgor got a lucky crit, and otherwise, Stufallont is mad at me. Shell Smash Cloyster is awesome.

Smell ya later!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #218
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Alder wins! It was a close match, but flamehead prevailed in the end. Stu and Druddigon starred in this match.

Last edited by Tyranidos; 11-07-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Tyranidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #219
Firewater
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
...what server is this run on? I'm interested in giving this a try, lol.

edit- not in the tourney obviously, but battling some UPN'ers I mean
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #220
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Red vs. Alder
(same as above, just a different POV)

Good game.

Though I don't know how others will feel about it. ^^; If I had been a more competent battler, I would have known to bring Snorlax in on Volcarona. And possibly won the game there. Instead, I sent out Espeon and Venusaur to die before thinking, "Well, let's try Snorlax. XP" Stupid me.

That stated, few battles hinge on any one decision, and this battle was no such one. Tdos earned his victory with some good tactical decisions and there was back-and-forth throughout. I thought I was going to lose ... then win ... and then I lost. If a battle goes like that, then at least something right is going on, I feel.

Hope it was enjoyable for you guys to watch. Hope Tdos wasn't disappointed by fighting a Talon who's operating on only 3 hours of sleep (3am to 6am today = when I slept). No excuses, though!

Tdos: Yet you keep making them.
Talon: XP

Too tired to write the anime comparison for this battle, but I guess what it would be is, interpret Red as Satoshi/Ash and basically have this be where Alder kicked his ass in BW054. ^^; "You've still got much to learn, young one!"
Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #221
SP-Eevee
Soul Badge

Send a message via MSN to SP-Eevee
:o I'll have to get on this evening and have some matches.
B Grade Ref
71KOs 162 TPs -0 SPs
Debt
Kush: 4.25 SP
Dave: 0.25 SP

Fizzy Bubbles Profile

Party - PC

Claus; () lvl 100 Katherine; () lvl 18 Jun; () lvl 53
Cumulus; () lvl 50 Lucas; () lvl 14 Carmen; () lvl 8
Denny; () lvl 21 Akito; () lvl 18 Maya; () lvl 5
Pippi; () lvl 28 Matthew; () lvl 16 Agito; () lvl 3
Amber; () lvl 1

SP-Eevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #222
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I'll post the video later, but Koga vs Cynthia has been completed. Suffice to say it was a total whitewash, and I suck at representing Koga ;;.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #223
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Bruno vs Steven

Bruno vs Green

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #224
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No one's approached me asking for permission to change anything. I thought I'd throw out there (as an example) that I am okay with letting Xander replace Dive on his Slowbro with something else and to hell with the rest of you if you say he can't do it. That stated, yeah , to keep things fair, for the most part making changes is banned. If you've royally botched any EV spreads and would like to re-do them, notify me and we'll see what we can do. Worst case scenario, you forfeit any matches which you may have won while using your old EV spreads. But it's something to think about if you think you've got the wrong EVs or strategy or something. It's kind of like declaring bankruptcy: it's something that comes with penalties to prevent everybody from doing it, but when you're penniless, it's certainly an option to consider. Same principle applies here. If something is costing you matches which shouldn't be, I'm open to letting you change it. You'll just have to pay the price (i.e. forfeiting previous wins accrued with the old method).

Will update the scoreboard and the scoreboard image some time later today.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #225
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I have to say, I LOVE that Hitmonchan. I finally know what to breed for when I get my DS back.
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON