UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 05-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #1026
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Just got out of Civil War.

Good opening, decent middle, kinda weak ending.

7/10 not Thor 2 bad but not GotG good.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #1027
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Civil War, pretty good.

The set up for why everyone was fighting one another was kind of a bit off and wasn't as well done as the comic version, but was still decent. It also felt silly that seemingly in the Marvel Universe, people are complaining about collateral damage done by the Avengers despite them actually attempting to save people (on screen even) in their various movies, yet in BvS, Superman is worshiped as a deity and he pretty much actively killed people while beating up Zod and didn't bother to save anyone. He didn't lure Zod and his minions away from busy cities or anything. He just kept punching them INTO buildings and shit.

Best Spider-man portrayal thus far. They also avoided using "Great power comes great responsibility" line oddly enough. It was even set up and he just didn't say it.

I totally nerded out during the airport fight. Seeing everyone make great use of their super powers was fun.

The ending fight was awkward for me.
Spoiler: show
So Zemo lures Cap and Bucky to the Winter Soldier labs and Iron Man arrives and they team up to try and stop Zemo. And to stop the heroes from wrecking him, he reveals a tape of Bucky murdering Pa and Ma Stark...

Okay. Sure. Stark gets really mad and berserks on Bucky. But like... What if Iron Man wasn't there? What if Falcon didn't give him the information and it was only Bucky and Cap? Would he have hid in that metal box until Iron Man showed up? What if Iron Man kept his cool and didn't try to kill Bucky? I feel like we needed more reason why Iron Man to go apeshit. END OF MOVIE? Like that part of the movie felt like they didn't have an ending, so they just added another fight and a vaguely loose reason why they should fight.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #1028
Mercutio
Banned

X Men Apocalypse gives no fucks about continuty and it just about works. Sort of a bit. Action scenes are bad, plot not really convincing, it's all basically a trailer for Phoenix Saga.

Joke about how terrible previous X Men films are is totally hilarious.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #1029
phoopes
Double Dragon

Saw Jungle Book last night. It was pretty decent. Like I'd probably give it a 7/10. I think I definitely liked the Disney version better, though I haven't seen that in years so it may just be nostalgia/little kid bias. As much as I enjoy the songs from the Jungle Book, the few that they did seemed sort of out of place with the rest of the movie. I dunno. Also, to anyone else who saw the movie: is it just me or did Kaa have significantly less screen time than you were expecting?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #1030
Loki

Saw Lucy. All the lulz.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #1031
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Um, what's that about? The missing link primate Lucy?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #1032
satosere
Cascade Badge

I can't believe I actually watched The Shining today. ".....Wow" is all I can say

And not in a good way
Old 05-23-2016, 03:25 AM   #1033
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Bear suit blowjob scene wasn't a big hit with you, huh?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #1034
Loki

Mega Dunsparce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Um, what's that about? The missing link primate Lucy?
She is in the movie. Lucy is about how Scarlet Johanson takes drugs and gets superpowers for no reason and evolves into a time traveling computer.

That furry blowjob freaked me out as a kid... and kind of still does as an adult. It's just so weird to throw into the scene that it was.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #1035
Mercutio
Banned

Kaa is your standard case of a character being in the trailer in order to sell tickets. Wolverine is thus in the latest Xmen film.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #1036
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

Late, but I watched Captain America Civil War a week or so ago.

Premise for fighting was a little weak, and the shaky camera was not my thing. The dialogue was pretty weak in some areas, too. And they shoe-horned that Sharon/Steve kiss in super hard. I cringed. However, this is easily my new favorite Marvel film. My comic book fanboy heart was singing throughout that airport fight. T'Challa was amazingly characterized and cool, and I'm super hyped for the Black Panther solo movie. Tom Holland was a good back-to-the-roots Spider-Man, though I do have to complain a little bit about some of his dialogue. Overall, it felt a little bit like a trailer for upcoming movies, but it was a pretty hype trailer.

Watched X-Men Apocalypse last night.

This was not a great movie by any means. The villain (despite how awesome Oscar Isaac is) was just super cliche and weak, and I could have easily guessed 80% of his lines. Maybe that's how the character is SUPPOSED to be, but Apocalypse felt dumb. The same goes for half of his Four Horsemen. Storm spoke, like, twice, Psylocke was like "hey my glowy things are GLOWIER now, imma join you", and I didn't even get the chance to like Angel before I hated him. And then he died, so, you know. Jean Gray, supposedly the character on whom the entire ending depended, was well played by Turner, but I don't feel like it was in a way that worked with her role in the film. Jlaw brought a little too much Mockingjay to Mystique, I think, but it was a solid performance. Xavier... I don't know. McAvoy is an amazing actor, but golly, I couldn't really bring myself to like him all that much in this film. I think it was the dialogue. Xavier's dialogue was a little weak. But holy crap, Michael Fassbender. Absolutely superb performance. I could hear people's hearts breaking at that one scene. You know what scene. Also, Evan Peters was brilliant again. Like, we all loved the Quicksilver scene in DOFP, but I feel like the mansion scene put that to SHAME. Especially when you consider that it took three and a half months to film, you can seew where they put most of their effort. The problem with this film is one that is common to many X-Men films before it. Because of the sheer number of characters in these movies, some of them, even the important ones, get the shaft in development. I think it's obvious that the movie really wanted to highlight Jean Gray, Magneto, and Quicksilver. Which is fine, but the movie suffered for it. Side note: Nightcrawler was hilarious and Scott Summers was pretty solid too.

Overall, this was not a GREAT movie. But it was a GOOD movie, and lots of fun.

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #1037
Naru
Known Leafeon Enthusiast

I saw Ratchet and Clank awhile ago and it was absolutely abysmal, like worst movie I've ever seen in theaters.
1/10 (There's one actually funny scene)

Otherwise, I finally got the chance to see American Ultra. I would've gone when it was in theaters but no one wanted to see it so now that it's on Netflix it seemed like the perfect opportunity. My boyfriend had really wanted to see it too so we watched it together and we really liked it, the action scenes were well done and although some of the movie was a little silly we enjoyed it.
Likkkkke... 7/10?
Old 06-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #1038
Kadota
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Kadota
Just rewatched yesterday The Invention of Lying, it's a gem~ I haven't seen it in YEARS so it was nice to laugh at the jokes that I had nearly forgotten about. Description copypasta'd from IMDb below~

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1058017/ In the world which Mark Bellison lives, there is no concept of an untruth. A screenwriter, Mark gets fired partly because he is tasked with writing about the depressing 14th century - the black plague century - about which no one wants to watch a lecturer talk. But in general, Mark comes from a defective gene pool, which has resulted in him being physically unappealing and generally a loser. As his life is headed further and further into despair, he stumbles across a concept which basically saves his life but which has no name, but what you and I know as a lie. Everyone believes whatever he says because everything is the truth. He finds that these lies not only result in him getting almost everything he wants - which includes getting his job back while upstaging his nemesis Brad Kessler - but also solve many of the problems others face due to the incessant truths they are told. But Mark, solely out of compassion, tells one lie - in reality an uncertainty since he can't prove or not prove what he said - that opens a can of worms he seems unable to close. But the one thing he really wants - the love of Anna McDoogles, a beautiful woman who is generally out of his league - is the one thing he wants only if she wants it too in real terms. Although Anna does end up falling in love with many aspects of Mark, she can't get over what she believes is the primary criterion for her life match, namely the genes of an attractive person, like Brad. Will Mark's new world of lies ultimately make him happy?

Kadota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #1039
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

I saw Finding Dory today. I highly recommend it for everyone, especially if you enjoyed Finding Nemo.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #1040
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
[HISSING NOISES FROM THE DIRECTION OF YOUR LOCAL AQUARIUM SHOP INTENSIFIES]
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #1041
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
"LOOK ITS DORY."
Old 06-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #1042
dirkac
uhhhhh

So because planes have free movies I recently saw both Zootopia and Norm of the North because I wantted to see all animated movies this year and while one was incredibly good, the other was flat out garbage and among the worst movies I have seen.

Spoilers: Norm of the North is the latter one.
It is just terrible. The plot makes absolutely no sense "talking bear is super special! But he was born to dance!" and in general tries too hard to be funny while it is just absolutely not funny at all.

I'd almost think its a parody of animations if not for the fact that it actually tries ro take itself seriously, and does an obviously terrible job, meaning this isn't even the sort of "so bad it's funny" movie.

I wasn't expecting much at all but man did it exceed my expetations in being absolutely terrible.

dat zootopia tho
Zootopia I was also expecting very little of, if only because the only time I had ever heard of it before was in the trailer for KFP3, which showed the sloth scene. I honestly forgot the name and didn't even recognize until said scene was shown so hey. Surprises.
And yeah, the zero expectations and knowledge paid off fairly well I'd say, considering that I absolutely adore this movie.

It was plenty funny, had a lot of references and one liners that thankfully weren't in your face (the godfather and breaking bad ones though haha) and in general had a pretty varied amount of humor.
Only thing I'd find unfunny is the nudist scene, but I guess it kinda ties as reference to one of its earlier pitches.

The main message, which I won't say because I will do it absolutely no justice, is also pretty well handled, and is basically shown throughout the movie, but not as heavy handed as WiR's "be yourself" message for example, and just feels natural enough that when the characters talk about it it just fits.
Except obligatory "TRY EVERYTHIIING" shakira Gazelle song but I mean that only pops up once before the credits and its very early before the plot really gets going that much so its not that bad.
I also liked how basically everytjing in the plot is foreshadowed at some earlier point in time, and that if you spend the movie pausimg every five minutes to look for visual clues and think it over you could probably figure out the majority of the plot like 20 minutes before said plot event were to happen, which is both actually rather funny, but also likely stuff you would only get on a rewatch, making rewatched rather viable and shows the plot is actually quite intricate.

Also liked in that, again, no romance!
I just feel like friendship relationships, if handled correctly, are so much more powerful than the standard romantic plot we usually get, and is one of the reasons why I liked movies like Inside Out and Wreck-It Ralph so much more than Frozen for example, because it doesn't use romance as a main plot point. Though both deal with romance a bit, its not central or vital at all, and I really liked how Zootopia handled it, giving a hint at the end that could be taken as either friendship or romantic, depending on which you'd prefer, and I'd very much like the former.

The animation too was also really smooth, and used a lot of really great effects to really transition well between scenes and moods. I was originally clamoring for hand-drawn a bit, but after the couple movies these last two years, I say leave it to be. I'm now enamored by just how charming these can be in their own right, and I really feel hand-drawn is just going to feel much less alive.

Tbh, forget Wreck-it Ralph, Robin Hood, Finding Nemo, and The Emperor's New Groove, this is my de-facto favourite movie right now, and I honestly very much doubt Finding Dory will top it.

This was totally unexpected and very much a meh boredom view but oh man did it not dissapoint.

Also Nick is best character and Judy and Finnick are great characters.

Last edited by dirkac; 06-19-2016 at 02:05 PM.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #1043
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kung Fu Panda: Saw this for the very first time last night. I'd give it a 7/10. The potential for a 10/10 is there, but the movie is burdened by numerous problems, the two greatest being:
  1. it's too fast
    1. individual scenes are shorter than they should be; they end too quickly; we transition too quickly
    2. within any given scene, what takes places happens too quickly; the movie is fed to you at 1.2x ideal speed
  2. there's not enough character depth
    • Po, Shifu, Tai Lung, and Oogway are all adequate
    • Tigress is the "best of the worst," getting more character development than anyone else I've yet to mention but still too little
    • and the rest of the Furious Five are a character writer's embarrassment, with less depth than even Po's father
But man if the movie's 10 out of 10 moments are not 10 out of 10. I teared up at least once. {Villain} is wonderfully developed towards the end of the film, a villain far too complex, mature, and real for most of the children watching, I'd wager. The visual effects were occasionally stunning, something I don't normally expect from DreamWorks. And the soundtrack was surprisingly effective. (Another victory for Hans Zimmer.) I'd recommend people see it, but I'm disappointed it's not as great as it could be.

WALL-E: Possibly my favorite Pixar movie I've ever seen, I'd not watched it in roughly six years. Talked myself into watching it when I got home today. Did. It was great. The problems I had with it before, I still have now, but man if this isn't one of the strongest entries in Pixar's portfolio.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #1044
Mercutio
Banned

Absolutely Fabulous is odd.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #1045
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey I had thought Pancham/Pangoro was one of the new post icons but I guess not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Kung Fu Panda: Saw this for the very first time last night. I'd give it a 7/10. The potential for a 10/10 is there, but the movie is burdened by numerous problems, the two greatest being:
  1. it's too fast
    1. individual scenes are shorter than they should be; they end too quickly; we transition too quickly
    2. within any given scene, what takes places happens too quickly; the movie is fed to you at 1.2x ideal speed
    • Tigress is the "best of the worst," getting more character development than anyone else I've yet to mention but still too little
    • and the rest of the Furious Five are a character writer's embarrassment, with less depth than even Po's father
But man if the movie's 10 out of 10 moments are not 10 out of 10. I teared up at least once. {Villain} is wonderfully developed towards the end of the film, a villain far too complex, mature, and real for most of the children watching, I'd wager. The visual effects were occasionally stunning, something I don't normally expect from DreamWorks. And the soundtrack was surprisingly effective. (Another victory for Hans Zimmer.) I'd recommend people see it, but I'm disappointed it's not as great as it could be.
I watched the Kung Fu Panda trilogy recently myself and enjoyed them. Even got my mom to see the first one with me in Chinese. The story and characters are cute; the Furious Five get more development in the side-specials, and Po's relationship with his father is fleshed out further as the plot goes on. The second movie is more mellow, though the third is particularly fast-paced. None of the individual installments are perfect due to the problems mentioned, but taken as a collective whole it's pretty good.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #1046
Loki

Just saw Ex Machina. Decent film. A bit slow but also very intelligent.

Saw Kung Pow: Enter the Fist with Daisy, lots of laughs. WEEOO WEEOO!
Old 07-24-2016, 02:33 AM   #1047
Torkoal Stu
This

Klefki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
  1. it's too fast
I love the Kung Fu Panda trilogy. It does have a lot of flaws, and it was made by DreamWorks so it has all the classic DreamWorks-isms, but it just has a lovely charm about it. You have plans to watch the second one right? It is by far my favourite of the three and think it holds together really well and I think it stands above the other two. Although potentially unpopular opinion there?

I remember I was so excited about Kung Fu Panda 3 this year I dragged my ex to see it with me at the cinema and he rolled his eyes through 90% of it but I loved it.

If you do watch 2/3, I'd love to hear your thoughts~
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #1048
Mercutio
Banned

Through a series of poor scheduling decisions ended up watching Finding Dory.

It's ok!

The octopus is particularly excellent and I was a fan of the Dory flashbacks. Dory's parents get boring pretty fast and the whole thing is a vanity project for Ellen but she deserves it so I recommend!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #1049
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Hissing noises.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #1050
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
I love the Kung Fu Panda trilogy. It does have a lot of flaws, and it was made by DreamWorks so it has all the classic DreamWorks-isms, but it just has a lovely charm about it. You have plans to watch the second one right? It is by far my favourite of the three and think it holds together really well and I think it stands above the other two. Although potentially unpopular opinion there?

I remember I was so excited about Kung Fu Panda 3 this year I dragged my ex to see it with me at the cinema and he rolled his eyes through 90% of it but I loved it.

If you do watch 2/3, I'd love to hear your thoughts~
It will probably be a while yet before I see the rest. None of my friends have the movies, I don't have Netflix, and so for me to see Kung Fu Panda I had to purchase the DVD outright. I enjoyed the film alright and don't regret my purchase, but I also didn't enjoy it enough to make me want to buy the sequel on blind faith alone. Other movies that are in a similar boat, "I can't see them without buying them," will probably get priority over Kung Fu Panda 2 and 3.

But I would still like to see them. If the team was made aware of 1's shortcomings and corrected even half of them, 2 could automatically be an 8/10. What 1 did well, it often did very well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment