UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #251
Emi
Ushi ushi ushi!

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I put in an application for Dunkin Donuts today after finding out they're hiring and that I might have my application brought up because I stopped in.

Job assessments are bullshit and should die in a fire.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #252
Zelphon
Daisy Avatar!

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I wish you luck, the Dunken Donuts where I live have a huge racial bias towards hiring desi folk. Also it's fast pace as fuck soooooo
free from this broken mind.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #253
Doppleganger
100% Lawful Evil

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Motley Fool
Because of their sheer size, Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) and, to a lesser extent Target (NYSE:TGT), are often targeted by wage protesters. Both companies have recently raised wages for their retail workforce, but neither one comes anywhere close to paying its non-manager workforce close to $15 hourly.
I was paid $14.50 starting during the summer at Wal-Mart. It's decreased to $12.50 since the summer ended, but for unskilled labour that's still an outstanding wage. I've been trying to wrap my head around how rare this is, or if there are even better job opportunities that are simply not common information.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #254
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I was paid $14.50 starting during the summer at Wal-Mart. It's decreased to $12.50 since the summer ended, but for unskilled labour that's still an outstanding wage. I've been trying to wrap my head around how rare this is, or if there are even better job opportunities that are simply not common information.
Judging from the experiences of my friends, classmates, and peers here in Indiana, I have the impression that anything remotely "white collarly" / "deskly" that is also a government posting that is also still something that you can also walk off the street into and learn how to do within 24-48 hours tends to pay the best out of all unskilled labor jobs. So for example ...
Food: really bad pay. (E.g. McDonald's)

Retail: really bad pay. (E.g. Office Depot)

Postal: remarkably good pay. (Friend started at $15/hr first day on the job. Didn't stay with them, but pay raises to $20/hr or higher within the first year are common, he told me.)

Civil servant: remarkably good pay.
These are usually still low-paying jobs with little to no room for advancement (e.g. if you decide to become an animal rescuer for the DNR I don't imagine your chances for moving past that post are very good within a 5-10 year period), but they pay anywhere from 2x to 3x what their retail and HTM counterparts pay.

Still, if Wal-Mart is paying even $12/hr to its entry-level employees, that is far beyond most states' minimum wages and is definitely a good deal for the lowest of low-skilled laborers.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #255
Doppleganger
100% Lawful Evil

Part of my evaluation has been what I could be doing as an alternative to my current job.

The federal government has a nice retirement system that goes godly if you are also in the military. You get a pension based on years in service and final grade pay, and the TSP as a 401K. The TSP has among the lowest fees of a 401K compared to private companies, with decent matching.

Most young folk correctly deduce that base salary is the most important thing to them, but they infer that for the wrong reasons. That reason is they want the disposable income to buy stuff. In reality, the high raw salary is important for rapid investment into things that can accelerate retirement age.

Working for the fed is an old person's job because of the high benefits but low base salary. Sure, if you start at age 20 and retire at age 66, you get a massive pension, but only have a couple decades to collect it.

So, I have three jobs right now: federal, Wal-Mart and ETS. Is this assembly of income, when living standards are taken into account, superior to what I could get if I moved back down to Alabama?

My hourly is $25.31. The base for most hospitals down there is about the same. But then I could do consistent part-time work (+32 hours?) at that rate or higher. So that's like turning a $50K starting salary into a $90K one. The ultimate goal would be to move back to California, where I can get access to the insane $80K base salaries, live at home and bank an additional $800 per month from the rent savings, and $3000 per year from reduced car expenses.

Hmm. I could also teach down there, but my sister offered me a job teaching CC in California too. Either way, perhaps moving isn't as great an idea as I originally thought.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #256
rotomotorz
Careful on the "goods"

I've been applying for internships recently and come across a problem. I have a few volunteer experiences and one job experience who were organized and managed by a now deceased person. Would I still put their information as my employer information when I fill out this part of the application?
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #257
OkikuMew
Pokémon Crossing: NuzLeaf

Hmm, that is a particular situation. Was there anyone else that was a manager alongside him? Or perhaps a senior that although he/she wasn't as highly-placed but was still a witness of your work? I would think any of those people could replace the name of your deceased manager.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #258
rotomotorz
Careful on the "goods"

Yeah there was. I went ahead and used their info and worst case I can explain the situation later. Thanks though!
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #259
Doppleganger
100% Lawful Evil

I have an interview Wednesday with another hospital.

I don't intend to leave my current employ. But I'd like to take on a part-time job at this new hospital. But, the position I applied for was full-time.

How do I break it to the folks that I want part-time only? During the interview, after the job offer, etc.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #260
Mcsweeney
Soul Badge

I don't know why you did that; it seems like the only solution is to take the job and work it part time while giving the illusion that you're working it full time (which sounds like the plot to some hilarious Seinfeld episode).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Mcsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #261
Doppleganger
100% Lawful Evil

I did it because the contract workers who came to my current workplace were able to negotiate. One of the workers, in fact, has a lower degree/title than I do, and had ZERO experience (while I had 7+ years intern) and was able to secure equal-higher pay than me from the government. The one who has an equal degree to me is making double. These are my co-workers, under the same employer, so it's not like I'm comparing apples to oranges here.

I took what I was offered and was told there was no room for negotiation. I learned later that other employees received compensation for things like relocation - there was a hefty relocation bonus for moving from South Dakota to Minnesota. Yet, I, who came from California, was not offered such a thing.

I've seen a part-time position offered by this other hospital. That's why I wanted to make a good impression, and maybe negotiate them down to a part-time or 32 hour per week position. The problem isn't the HOURS, it's the DAYS.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #262
Doppleganger
100% Lawful Evil

So, about that hospital interview.

I'm pretty sure I nailed it on the interview and resume. But the fact that I applied for the position was leaked without hours after I completed the interview, because two lab managers were supposed to be on the panel. Allegedly they disclosed to the lab personnel that I came from the federal hospital, and someone from there contacted my co-workers. Suffice to say, they weren't happy and let me know it.

This isn't the first time I've seen a privacy leak - my identity was leaked last year when I applied to another agency - but all of a sudden I'm in a precarious position where my own workplace has turned on me because of the open threat of me attempting to leave. And, the temp workers have speculated that although I forbid the HR department from conferring with my current workplace, they likely badmouthed me under the table once my application became public knowledge.

Frankly, I'm struggling with trying to understand this logic. I could simply transfer to a hospital in another state, get an immediate +$10,000 salary boost, and not have to work at Wal-Mart or another hospital. The only way it's worth my while to stay in this area is to work multiple jobs. Why would they try and sabotage that?

I would have left after February 1st, really, if I wasn't staying here to get into the Marine Corps. Either I get into the Marines, or fail - either way, I am out of here by 2018. This, and the leak from earlier, have not earned a person obsessed with privacy and sense of endearment.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc