UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 11-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #101
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The concentration of "sugar" in Coca Cola Classic is 1098 mg/dL.

For humans, 400 mg/dL blood sugar is considered "critical" (where the sugar starts having immediate adverse effects on the person).

I've seen one case of a guy with 1000+ mg/dL. That's not the world record (a man with random blood sugar of 2,000+ mg/dL) but consider, the guy I saw basically had Coca Cola running through his veins. It was that bad.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #102
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
As a result of the submissive behavior in males, it was hypothesized that the male hyena erected its penis as a show of submissiveness.
There you have it, folks.

NTR in the animal kingdom.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #103
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Did you know that in Shingou, Aomori there is a burial site purported to be the final resting place of Jesus Christ?

Give it a read. Uhh ... yeah ... Really surprised this hasn't been struck down by the Church. And how exactly do people who claim to believe in Christianity, i.e. "that Jesus Christ died for our sins," also believe in this tale?

Perhaps the best part -- the very notion that Jesus visited Japan in search of religious enlightenment some three to seven hundred years prior to the start of Japanese recorded history. (First writing circa 4th Century CE. First recorded history written 8th Century CE.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #104
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I also like the creativity in coming up with J.C.'s brother's name. "Yes...these are our sons, Jesus and Isikuri."
Old 01-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #105
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Why are black bears, despite being among the largest and most powerful animals in their biome, so instinctively timid of everything? This is in contrast to cougars, wolves or tigers in areas where they co-exist with humans, as these animals have learned to grow wary of humans.

The secret is in black bear evolution. Black bears evolved in the Pleistocene, a time when much larger, scary predators like the short-faced bear and saber tooth tiger roamed more open plains. Black bears evolved to live in forests, where those predators had difficulty navigating, adopted a generalist diet to avoid direct confrontation with those predators, and selective pressure lead to bears who were naturally cautious, in case they encountered something dangerous enough to kill them.

So even though monsters like the short-faced bear are extinct, black bears don't know this and act as if they were still around.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #106
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Colgate is the best selling toothpaste in the United States. This came about with the advent of Colgate Total, which did everything other toothpaste brands did - fight cavities, gingivitis, freshen breath, whiten teeth - for less money.

You might think Crest was the market leader, but it's actually lost a lot of market share since it first debut in 1955. It's still pricey based on brand name alone. The big innovation with Crest was it contained stannous flouoride, which was used to fight against cavities. Crest still contains that ingredient today.

That little fact is one of the most heinous secrets of Crest, because stannous flouride (which contains tin to bind the flouride) stains teeth. All other toothpastes in North America use sodium flouride. Perhaps the biggest reason why Crest hasn't made the switch to sodium flouride -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson Higher Education
Crest Whitestrips created the whitening toothpaste segment when it was first launched in 2001. The product generated US$200 million in its first full year on the market ($20 million in Canada). Crest Whitestrips are clear, flexible strips that are worn by consumers twice a day for 30 minutes and are “guaranteed to produce noticeably whiter teeth in two weeks.” P&G launched a second whitening product called Night Effects a few years later. The combination of Whitestrips and Night Effects gives Crest a 70-percent share of the at-home whitening segment of the market.

Colgate’s answer to Whitestrips was Simply White, a brush-on style of whitener that offered similar benefits. However, Simply White has not enjoyed much success. In fact, sales have been sliding so much in the past few years that one analyst described the brand as “simply terrible.” Simply White’s share of the at-home whitening segment is only 12 percent.
If you brush with Crest and then use Crest Whitening Strips, you are of course going to see results versus a Colgate/Simply White combo, because Colgate Total prevents staining in the first place.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #107
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Poland was never able to live this down.

Quote:
The charge at Krojanty was a cavalry charge that occurred during the Invasion of Poland in the Second World War. It took place on the evening of September 1, 1939, near the Pomeranian village of Krojanty. Polish soldiers advanced east along the former Prussian Eastern Railway to railroad crossroads 7 kilometres from the town of Chojnice (Konitz) where elements of the Polish cavalry charged and dispersed a German infantry battalion. Machine gun fire from German armoured cars that appeared from a nearby forest forced the Poles to retreat. However, the attack successfully delayed the German advance, allowing the Polish 1st Rifle battalion and Czersk Operational Group to withdraw safely.

The same day, German war correspondents were brought to the battlefield, together with two journalists from Italy. They were shown the corpses of Polish cavalrymen and their horses as well as German tanks that had arrived at the place after the battle. One of the Italian correspondents, Indro Montanelli, sent home an article, in which he described the bravery and heroism of Polish soldiers, who charged German tanks with sabres and lances. Although such a charge did not happen, and there were no tanks used during combat, the myth was used by German propaganda during the war. German propaganda magazine Die Wehrmacht reported on 13 September that the Poles had gravely underestimated German weapons, as Polish propaganda had suggested that German armoured vehicles were covered only with sheet metal, leading to a grotesque attack. After the end of World War II, it was still used by Soviet propaganda as an example of stupidity of prewar Polish commanders, who allegedly did not prepare their country for the war and instead wasted the blood of their soldiers. As late as the 1990s, this myth was still taught in history classes in American and British high schools and colleges.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #108
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

DFC lovers...eat your hearts out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
The sex appeal of rounded female buttocks and plump breasts is both universal and unique to the human primate. Fertile women tend not to store fat around the abdomen, so the waist of a fertile female is usually slimmer than her hips. Other female primates do not have fat deposited on the rump. For example, the female gorilla has a skinny posterior and stores fat on her abdomen, as do human males. So it has been widely theorised that the plump buttock and bosom of modern women are sexual ornaments, selected for by ancestral males.

Seen from a distance the adult female form, either from behind or from the front, can be recognised as distinct from the male of the species. An hourglass figure, plus youthfulness, would have attracted male hominids looking for mating opportunity. The hourglass figure remains attractive to modern males. Over the centuries females attempting to increase their mate choice have dressed to exploit this shape (corsets, bustles and wonder bras).

If ancestral males had not shown a preference for the mutation producing symmetrical, plump bosoms, modern women's chests would resemble the flat thoraxes of the other apes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-08-2017, 01:08 AM   #109
lilcipher
Pokemon Trainer

Carrots were made into carrot cake since during medieval time when there were sugar shortages, and carrots have more sugar than any other vegetable except for sweet beets.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #110
phoopes
Double Dragon

Bob Barker left the Price is Right in 2007.

DREW CAREY HAS BEEN HOSTING IT FOR 10 YEARS
Old 04-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #111
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Midichlorians, the controversial Star Wars plot device that George Lucas introduced in Episode I ... it turns out they're one of the oldest ideas he's had for the franchise:
"It is said that certain creatures are born with a higher awareness of the Force than humans. Their brains are different; they have more midi-chlorians in their cells."
―George Lucas, establishing guidelines for the Expanded Universe in 1977
Source

So rather than us being unlucky to have had George ruin things in 1999, explaining that which didn't need to be explained, it turns out that we had actually been lucky he didn't explain it 22 years sooner. I mean, we're still stuck with midichlorians either way , but at least now we can appreciate that we had Camelot for as long as we did.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #112
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Droids being unable to use The Force still bothers me. There's an ascribed mysticism to biological life when we're just organic robots who poop.

An 8 oz cup of brewed coffee contains 140 mg of caffeine.
An 8 oz cup of hot chocolate (100% cocoa, same amount as above) contains 40 mg of caffeine

I've been wondering why I'm having trouble sleeping lately. That's because I drink 2 pints of whole milk mixed with that chocolate, so my total caffeine intake ends up being 160 mg per drink!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #113
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
In 2015, it was discovered that mealworms are capable of degrading polystyrene into usable organic matter at a rate of about 34-39 milligrams per day. Additionally, no difference was found between mealworms fed only styrofoam and mealworms fed conventional foods, during the one-month duration of the experiment. The mechanism behind this is currently unknown, and no attempts to commercialize this discovery have been made.
An ordinary styrofoam cup has a mass of 3,500 mg. Of course, we don't know the ratios or the number of worms, but it would be pretty cool if it took one worm 10 days to eat and digest a styrofoam cup.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #114
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I was curious to learn the etymology of "sacrebleu", so I went a-lookin'!
Sacrebleu is a very old French profanity meant as a cry of surprise or happiness.

The expression today is not used in the major French-speaking countries France, Belgium, or Switzerland,[citation needed] but in the English-speaking world it is well known from Agatha Christie's books about the fictional Belgian detective Hercule Poirot.

Most French dictionaries state "sacrebleu" to be equivalent to "sacredieu".

Some cultures, notably Francophone Quebec, Canada, commonly use the term "sacrément", or the shortened version "sac" to be a minor expletive. In American English it would be equivalent to saying "oh my gosh" rather than "oh my God".

The phrase originated from the swear words "sacré dieu". At varying points in history this was considered to be taking God's name in vain which is forbidden in the Ten Commandments. It was then changed to 'bleu' which rhymes with Dieu.

Other sources propose it coming from old blasphemous curses relating to God, used from the late Middle-Age (some are attested as early as the 11th century) to the 14th (at the latest), with many variants: morbleu or mordieu, corbleu, palsambleu, jarnidieu, tudieu, respectively standing for mort [de] Dieu (God's death), corps [de] Dieu (God's body), par le sang [de] Dieu (by God's blood, the two latter possibly referring to the Eucharistic bread and wine), je renie Dieu (I deny God), tue Dieu (kill God)... Those curses may be compared to the archaic English [God']sdeath, sblood, struth or zounds (God's wounds). They were considered so offensive that Dieu was sublimated into the similar-sounding neutral syllable bleu. The verb sacrer has several meanings, including to crown, to anoint, to name someone [champion, best actor, etc.], and in the past, rarely in France but more common in French Canada, of swear, curse. Therefore, sacrebleu could be in modern French Je jure par Dieu and in English I curse by God, or the more used I swear to God.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrebleu

So basically ...
  • it's a shortened form of the French equivalent for English "I swear to God" / "Jesus Christ"
  • it's also a censored form of it, with Dieu having been substituted out for the similar-sounding bleu for no other reason than that the two sound similar and bleu is wholly inoffensive
So I guess then the nearest (made-up) English equivalent would be something like "Squeezes Christ!", squeezes inoffensively rhyming with Jesus.

Interesting. Also interesting how it's totally outdated yet we (English speakers) all still associate it with France because of the media in which we see it used. And yet at the same time, I can think of no uses off the top of my head that don't predate the 20th century in terms of the story's setting (e.g. The Little Mermaid or The Count of Monte Cristo), so ... Is there not something to be argued on behalf of the English-speaking peoples of the world that we're not so much associating the term with 21st-century French people as we are with cultural France itself?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #115
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Filipinos have something similar, phonetically it sounds like "heysoosmarhosep".

It's actually a horribly mangled, mispronounced contraction of "jesus, mary, joseph". "heysoos" is pronounced like "jesus" in Spanish, "mar" is just "mary" with the dropped "y", and "joseph" is pronounced with the same hard h/j and "f" becomes a hard "p".

So while we write "joseph" with a soft "p", we would pronounce it "hosep" with the hard p.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #116
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You probably already knew that Weird Al Yankovic's "Amish Paradise" is based on Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise."

... But did you know that "Gangsta's Paradise" is in turn based on a song by Stevie Wonder called "Pastime Paradise"? O-o

And when I say "based," I don't mean it pulls a chord or two -- I mean it's like 90, 95% identical. Take a listen for yourself:

Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #117
phoopes
Double Dragon

Huh, I would've never known that. That's interesting, Talon. Songs in the Key of Life is such a famous album but I had never heard of that song. I think maybe it'd be shocking because there isn't a lot of overlap between people who listen to Stevie Wonder and people who listen to Coolio?

Watching the Amish Paradise video made me want to watch the White and Nerdy music video, where I was shocked to find Key and Peele. I had no idea that they were in the video.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #118
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

When I was growing up, archeopteryx was said to be the missing link between dinosaur and bird evolution, a theropod that clearly sported feathers, wings and had shrunk down closer to the size of modern birds.

The current scientific thinking is that archeopteryx is, in fact, the ancestor of dromaeosaurids, which include velociraptor. Archeopteryx evolved from small theropods that had adapted to living in trees. It developed a large brain necessary to navigate through both air and Jurassic canopies.

Dromaesaurids who returned to the ground grew in size, but most not tremendously - archeopteryx was the size of a crow, while velociraptor the size of a turkey.

This is an interesting parallel to human evolution, as monkeys and apes initially developed their brains by having to navigate through arboreal habitats. The primates that returned to the ground full-time also grew in size.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-31-2017, 11:04 PM   #119
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Here are some interesting trivia about nori, Porphyra yezoensis, the Japanese seaweed used to make the wrappings around sushi and rice balls!

Did you know that ...? Nori had been consumed as paste form until the sheet form was invented in Asakusa, Edo (contemporary Tokyo), around 1750 in the Edo period through the method of Japanese paper-making.

Did you know that ...? The Japanese nori industry was in decline after WWII, when Japan was in need of all food that could be produced. The decline was due to a lack of understanding of the plant's three-stage life cycle so that local people did not understand why traditional cultivation methods were not effective. The industry was rescued by knowledge deriving from the work of British phycologist Kathleen Mary Drew-Baker, who had been researching the organism Porphyria umbilicalis, which grew in the seas around Wales and was harvested for food, as in Japan. Her work was discovered by Japanese scientists who applied it to artificial methods of seeding and growing the plants, rescuing the industry. Kathleen Baker was hailed as the "Mother of the Sea" in Japan. She is still revered as the savior of the Japanese nori industry. Her work is celebrated each year on April 14. A statue was erected in her memory in 1963 at the Sumiyoshi shrine in Uto, Kumamoto, Japan.

Did you know that ...? Seaweed has by far the highest proportion of iodine by weight of any food; nori has less than any other type of seaweed; and yet nori is nonetheless an excellent source of iodine itself.

(Copy-pastes from Wikipedia, from the "Nori" and "Kathleen Mary Drew-Baker" articles)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:41 AM   #120
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Pokemon actually call their own attacks in the anime. The only exception are the ones incapable of any discernible language, like Charizard and Steelix. They just roar as they execute an attack, but vocalize nonetheless.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 PM   #121
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Crows will harass bigger birds that steal their meals by pulling their tail feathers. They also pull the tails of mammals like cats and dogs. When the animal turns around, the other crows in the flock grab bites of the meal.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #122
Skunkaru
Pokemon Trainer

So in the US, if you want to learn the origin of a law (which differ by state), you have to read the court case to see the backstory for each law. And there are some laws that the stories seem obvious, but there are others like, why? Do we have that law? When is that useful?

Anyway, the judge cases are a collection of stories that explain the current law and you have to read them to know the origins. It's a lot to do but it's also kind of interesting.
Skunkaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:35 AM   #123
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Meowth's original English voice actor is still alive.

This is pretty impressive. I have always thought Adam/Maddie Blaustein was the original voice for Meowth, and like Veronica Taylor, she merely changed the approach after a certain number of episodes. The change in Ash to his most recognizable voice is definitely noticeable versus very early Kanto, and VT even acknowledges this in interviews.

But here, Price was Meowth for almost the entire run for Pokemon in syndication. KidsWB took command of the series starting with OS044, "The Problem with Paras", but three episodes were skipped to that point: "Beauty at the Beach", "Electric Soldier Porygon", and "The Legend of Dratini". So for all but 7 episodes of the section of the Pokemon anime I've seen the most, I had no idea he was Meowth. I always thought Meowth was Lt. Surge, ordering Raichu to give the twerps a body slam.

Of course, it took years for me to realize that Brock = Kaiba or worse, that Brock = James and Misty = Jessie. Maybe I just (wasn't) hearing things.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #124
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Brock = James = Squirtle (among a crapton of other Pokémon) = Meta Knight = One Piece narrator.

Eric Stuart is awesome.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #125
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
Brock = James = Squirtle (among a crapton of other Pokémon) = Meta Knight = One Piece narrator.

Eric Stuart is awesome.
"Hey everybody, look at me! I'm Seto Kaiba! I have a dragon fetish and I sound like Brock from Pokémon! Screw the rules, I'm in love with Nurse Joy!"

Spoiler: show
"THAT'S IT, MUTOU, YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc