UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #101
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Sorry for the change of subject on my part guys ^^; I would like to chime in, but unfortunately I am not knowledgeable on that side of mobile shtuff (I test apps with lots of phones, but I don't have control of the apps I test! :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I bought an iPad (mostly for the identification data) and played around with it.

-it's heavy
-it's claustrophobic
-it sucks

The inability to customize it is unbelievably painful. The design is obnoxious, but so is Android 5.0+. It feels like a huge paperweight to me, but whatever. I got what I wanted.

I now have 5 Samsung devices, one Dell and one Apple. I should be able to start my own network with that, no?
Or you could freelance app testing! You need a lot of devices to cover what different users may have! :P

More seriously though, I'm curious, what kind of iPad did you get exactly?

I'm currently thinking about getting one myself. I kinda miss having my laptop (RIP 2012-2014), longing to watch videos and read stuff comfortably on my bed (i.e.: Not sitting at my computer desk or being on my Nexus 5).

I know for a fact that, as much as I like Android phones, I know from experience that I'm not that keen of Android tablets.
I also don't want another laptop, as much as I loved my dead one, I admit I found it cumbersome and expensive for the time it lasted.
I also thought of a Chromecast as an option. I love how it works, but it isn't for me: My cheap tv in my room has just one, already-taken HD port (meaning I would have to unplug/replug everytime I want to use it... ugh), I obviously wouldn't be able to read properly, and I would end up still be using either my desktop or my phone, which I don't want. So wow whoopie do.

So all I have left as an option is an iPad, and oh hey, it fits with what I need and like!

But now I'm debating which kind of iPad. I'm torn between the 3 most recent ones, so the Air 2, Pro 12.9 and Pro 9.7.

The Pro 12.9 was my first choice at first, as I fell in love with the gigantic screen and speakers on each corner (which its use adapts to the direction you're holding it). It looked like the ultimate reading screen/portable tv. But what changed my mind was the size (ironically) and the price. Although I plan on keeping it at home around my room, therefore not move it around much, I'm afraid that one day I'll decide to transport it somewhere and the size/weight would be annoying and raise the chances of breaking it. And obviously, the price is huge: at over 1k minimum (in canadian dollars mind you) that's... way too much of what I would think to spend.

So enters the Pro 9.7: Has the cool speakers the 12.9 has, but it is smaller, less pricey (lowest at 800$) and slightly less powerful (but not enough that I care). It also has that "true tone" thing (colors on the screen adapts to the colors of your surroundings) which sounds totally neato when looking at high-res pictures and videos. So even though I don't get that giant screen, I'll still get some really nice images and sound out of it. Tiny tiny bonus point: It is available in pink. I don't care that much for colors, but having a tasteful choice of them is always cool.

But then there's the Air 2. Compared to the Pro 9.7, is has the same size, weight and screen resolution. On the down side, it doesn't have those 4 speakers (meaning the sound can be awkward while I'm holding it, blocking its 2 speakers on the side), doesn't have that true tone display, isn't as powerful (although that's not that important, but will be on the long run), and other little things I don't care much (like quality of pictures/video, missing smart connector I'll never use, incompatibility with the Apple pen which I'll be scared to lose). The obvious reason why I should care for it is the lower price, which is 300$ less than the Pro 9.7, holy crap.

So now I'm wondering: Is that extra power, speakers and neat display the Pro 9.7 has worth the extra 300$ compared to the Air 2, especially looking in long term? (Because I'm the kind, in terms of stuff that aren't consoles, that when I get something, it lasts for a long time, able to keep up with new tech a bit.)

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:50 AM   #102
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
More seriously though, I'm curious, what kind of iPad did you get exactly?
It's a white 4th Generation.

Fun fact: the white and black have exactly the same specs, but the white was $100 cheaper.

lol apple

Quote:
I'm currently thinking about getting one myself. I kinda miss having my laptop (RIP 2012-2014), longing to watch videos and read stuff comfortably on my bed (i.e.: Not sitting at my computer desk or being on my Nexus 5).

I know for a fact that, as much as I like Android phones, I know from experience that I'm not that keen of Android tablets.
I also don't want another laptop, as much as I loved my dead one, I admit I found it cumbersome and expensive for the time it lasted.
I also thought of a Chromecast as an option. I love how it works, but it isn't for me: My cheap tv in my room has just one, already-taken HD port (meaning I would have to unplug/replug everytime I want to use it... ugh), I obviously wouldn't be able to read properly, and I would end up still be using either my desktop or my phone, which I don't want. So wow whoopie do.
I have a Samsung tablet to go along with the iPad.

The Samsung tablet has, more or less, superior specs to the iPad and is half the size and weight. Android 5.0 and whatever OSX is on the iPad function exactly the same.

Quote:
So now I'm wondering: Is that extra power, speakers and neat display the Pro 9.7 has worth the extra 300$ compared to the Air 2, especially looking in long term? (Because I'm the kind, in terms of stuff that aren't consoles, that when I get something, it lasts for a long time, able to keep up with new tech a bit.)
I don't have those newer models but I'll compare my stuff this weekend. I intend to do the hardware hacking this weekend too so it'll be good opportunity to kill two birds with one paperweight.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #103
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
It's a white 4th Generation.

Fun fact: the white and black have exactly the same specs, but the white was $100 cheaper.

lol apple
Oh yeah I have heard of that. So dumb X)
4th generation is good; it is still considered in terms of specs as good in the market, hence why I work with one almost every day.

Quote:
I have a Samsung tablet to go along with the iPad.

The Samsung tablet has, more or less, superior specs to the iPad and is half the size and weight. Android 5.0 and whatever OSX is on the iPad function exactly the same.
Hmmm, admitedly I have never used an Android tablet and an iPad side to side before. By using an Android tablet for a day or two then do the same with an iPad later, I always got the feeling that iPads performed slightly better (not just speed, but also in usability and stability in the apps) and generally felt better in my hands (holding a device for at least 2 hours tells you a lot about that). Maybe I just always ended up using tablets of inferior quality in general (or just older) and then I end up with an iPad that doesn't really compare to it? I dunno. I probably should dig deeper into that so I can do an actual good comparison instead of generalising my experience. A trip to a store with tablets in demo would be useful!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #104
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I can't compare app stability or performance without looking at things on a case-by-case basis.

I can say what Apple excels at is creating the perception of superior quality. My attitude is the iPad is like a metal gun, versus a plastic gun for Samsung (incidentally the tablets are made of these materials).

Most gun enthusiasts tell you polycarbonate is superior. It's lighter with less recoil than a metal gun. But people have the perception that plastic is for toys, and that it's flimsy, so they'd prefer a metal weapon despite the notable disadvantages.

I feel the iPad is the same, except the difference between the iPhone and Galaxy S phones is greater than the iPad and Galaxy Tablet. The tablet is wider, heavier, and more sophisticated looking, but I know under the hood it's an inferior processor.

Also, possibly the most damning part, the iPad is "Designed by Apple of California, Made in China". The Galaxy Tablet is designed in Korea, Made in Vietnam.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #105
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

I do see your point about metal vs. plastic; I know that it doesn't equal efficiently and/or durability. Heck, look at that aluminium iPhone 6 bending meme. And now the metal Galaxy Note 7 exploding.

My point was that both stability/performance and ergonomic design are both different yet important points to look into any kind of device. Taking your gun analogy, even if it's the most powerful, light and recoil-less one in the world, nobody's gonna buy it or even use if the handle is covered in needles :P (I know I'm exaggerating here ^^; ) At my workplace, the most dreaded devices are those that are either slow or uncomfortable to hold, and one that has both definitely have the highest score in the uuuuuugh-let's-make-those-tests-quick-o-meter. I still have nightmares of one particular phone; not only a snail would be faster, but the bottom and its corners of the case was made in such a way that it would dig into the palm of your hand. Bonus points that the Power button was placed in a way that my fingers would press it by accident (note that I'm left-handed.) But even if one of the problems (speed or design) was made perfect, the other point ruins it all that'll end up having the same thing: Not my money!

All in all though it's just finding the balance between the two, which is what I'll look into when I'll be trying out the current high-end Android tablets to give them a chance against my original plan of getting an iPad

(Oh and sidenote: I don't care that much where it was designed and where it is made, because although it can say something of the quality of the end product, all that matters is said quality of the end product XP)

Old 11-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #106
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Update: After side-by-side comparisons, iPad Pro 9.7" still came out as a winner. So far I have no regrets, doing well with what I want to do with it

But now for something entirely different: I've just bought myself a Dualshock 4 controller to use for my gaming PC. It has Bluetooth already, so I rather get a driver that does the job for free instead of shelling out 30$ for the official adapter.

Thing is, there's a lot of drivers out there, and being in new territory, I don't know which one would be trustworthy (ie. doesn't have adware/malware/viruses) and the best to use. Any recommendations?

EDIT: So after a bit of searching by myself, seems like Steam itself recently support the Dualshock 4, which is pretty sweet. However that makes the use of my controller stuck at Steam games (when I have a few non-steam and probably more in the future) and using the wire (which although it is long enough to reach my bed that's in front of my computer, in this day and age freedom of being wireless is always better.) So I'm still looking over my options for DS4 drivers, which some advice/recommendations from you guys (instead of some completely random people from the internetz) would be appreciated But here's what I found so far:
  • Seems the two drivers that everyone talks about are DS4Windows and DS4Tool. What's the differences between the two? Is one better than the other? I have no idea.
  • I've also read about ScpToolkit, InputMapper and x360ce. Are those any better? Well I've read someone swearing on only ScpToolkit, but he was the only one XP
  • MotionInJoy is another I heard of, but seems everyone is running away from, mostly because there's been a lot of malware crap going around it. Some say it's just a "false positive" and there's a way getting around the malware threats, but eeeeeeeeeeh like those many others I don't think I'll trust that. So definitely not getting that one :P

Last edited by OkikuMew; 11-28-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #107
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Dash cams.

* Does anyone here have experience with dash cams in their own or an immediate family member's vehicles?

* Are there any particular brands people recommend? Disrecommend?

* Do most dash cams only come with a forward-facing lens? (That's adequate.) Or do many now come with two separate lenses, one for forward and one for rear? (That'd be great.)

* How "in the way" is a dash cam? For example, how much visibility do you lose as a motorist when one is installed?

* How "plug-n-play"able are most dash cams these days? Do they require intensive under-the-covers installation into the car's wiring? Or are most just plugged in to a car's cigarette lighter (or elsewhere) and you're good to go?

* I see a lot of people complaining in review sections for products that their 5-star-rated camera died within 6 months of operation. Is this even close to normal? Do dash cams not last very long? I'm looking for something that will last 5-10 years at a minimum, not 2 years or under ...
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:18 AM   #108
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
* I see a lot of people complaining in review sections for products that their 5-star-rated camera died within 6 months of operation. Is this even close to normal? Do dash cams not last very long? I'm looking for something that will last 5-10 years at a minimum, not 2 years or under ...
Woah, this is probably too late to be of help, but I can weigh in on this, at least.

I don't own a dash cam but I am intimately familiar with the microSD cards used to run in them, and other similar HD-writing cards. The reason being is one of my plans is to do what Ubuntu once did for you to fix your computer, boot Linux (Android) off of the external memory (microSD), then I would go further to repartition the HD of the main phone for RAM.

It's how, for a mere $150, you can turn a 2014 Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (16 GB hard drive, 1.5 GB memory) into a 256 GB HD, 17 GB RAM behemoth.

The problem is writing to a microSD Card is going to be slower than writing to a hard drive - this isn't like the days of running computer programs off the CD-Rom because hard drives were too small or too slow to compare with optical disc read. The theoretical maximum read/write speed of a microSD is 104 MB/s, and Samsung's most premium model now is capable of 100 Mb/s read, 95 Mb/s write. For typical Android, which runs a few system apps all the time but usually doesn't access the hard drive unless an app has been selected, this isn't bad. Typical benchmarks for on-board memory is like 40x that (4000 Mb/s read write).

But here's where the trouble starts. For something like Windows, which is comparably inefficient and is writing the hard drive all the time, you have many more read/write events. Reading events are not so bad but writing events add up. HDDs are cheap and easy to replace. microSD cards are much more expensive per GB storage space compared to flash or HDD physical memory.

tl;dr: dash cams have a ridiculous read/write speed, especially if you're recording in 4K. For Windows, it's writing to the HDD all the time in small increments. For Android, it's writing to the HDD only when it has to, and does so less frequently than Windows.

For a dash cam, you're putting a huge amount of data on an HD at whatever the limit of your HDD is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shooters.net
Shooting in 4K is a whole new thing. A single minute of ProRes UHD file (3840 x 2160) is around 5.3 GB (880 Mbits/s). You would need to expand your storage definitely if you are shooting at such high data rates.

A single hour of 4K footage is a whopping 318 GB. 25 hours of 4K ProRes equals roughly 7.76 TB.

7.76TB (the ProRes UHD files from a single BMPC 4K camera) x 3 ( for the back up)= 23.28 TB of hard disk space in total required.
A lot of folks who buy the Samsung microSD Cards do it because microSD cards are cheaper and more disposable than replacing an expensive camera, and while they can run in 4K the speed is limited by the write/read speed of the microSD card.

Samsung normally has a 10-year guarantee for their microSD cards, but this also corresponds to about 50,000 write events. Sandisk's manual even states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superuser
SanDisk SD cards have an endurance specification for each sector of 100,000 writes typical (reading a logical sector is unlimited).

Therefore, extremely heavy use of the card in cellular phones, personal communicators, pagers and voice recorders will use only a fraction of the total endurance over the device’s lifetime. For instance—it would take over 10 years to wear out an area on an SD Card based on a file of any size (from 512 bytes to maximum capacity) being rewritten 3 times per hour, 8 hours a day, 365 days per year.
With an HD camera, you're writing to it 60 times per minute per hour, for like 12 hours, you're writing to it 43,200 times in one day. Even if we consider that Samsung's top-of-the-line microSD card has 1,000,000 writes, that corresponds to about 277 hours of continuous run time.

If you run the camera 1 hour per day, the microSD card will last a bit more than a year. Two hours a bit more than half of a year. Three hours a day or more, and you can see why cameras burn out.

No microSD card manufacturer applies their warranties to camera users!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 07-31-2017 at 06:23 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc