apparently more main series games coming in 2019

maybe there's still hope

but jesus

Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee

I might skip out on a main series game for the first time ever
Old 05-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #53
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I'm actually pretty excited for LGP/E, just for the sheer fact that it has actual multiplayer.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #54
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The graphics are a lot better than 3DS too, though that's a given. However, I made the mistake of thinking the opening cutscenes = actual game environment which got my hopes up. I don't think it's much more sophisticated than Detective Pikachu in that respect.

2019 was always going to be the "real" gen 8, I called that a while back. There's no freaking way GF was going to have a new region all fleshed out when the Switch became the new handheld. Kanto is easy breezy beautiful cover girl.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #55
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'm just really peeved that the Pokemon Go capture mechanic is how we're going to be catching Pokemon now. Like it looks like standard trainer battles are the same but damn. Pokemon Go is cute and all but it's not how you catch Pokemon. It takes your team out of the process of battling and capturing wild Pokemon. I don't like it.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not happy about the prospect of Go integration, let me tell you ...

This is the unfortunate, sad result of Go making so, so much more money than our main series games have.

XY, ORAS, SM, and USUM sales combined: 50 million (estimated $2 billion in sales revenue)
Pokémon Go downloads since launch: over 750 million (estimated $1.94 billion in sales)

As for our graphics ... Oh, nooo ...

Looks like we've taken a step back towards bobbleheads / chibi anatomy, and the graphics look essentially like "a 3DS game run on high-end hardware" rather than a game built from the ground up optimized for what is essentially a more powerful portable XBox 360.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #57
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I'm just really peeved that the Pokemon Go capture mechanic is how we're going to be catching Pokemon now. Like it looks like standard trainer battles are the same but damn. Pokemon Go is cute and all but it's not how you catch Pokemon. It takes your team out of the process of battling and capturing wild Pokemon. I don't like it.
I mean as far as we know, that's just how we are capturing pokemon in a remake/sequel/whatever of a game. There is nothing to say that it is the way things are gonna be now, when the new game comes out next year its probably going to be back to normal.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #58
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
I mean as far as we know, that's just how we are capturing pokemon in a remake/sequel/whatever of a game. There is nothing to say that it is the way things are gonna be now, when the new game comes out next year its probably going to be back to normal.
I sure hope so. I hate the Go integration. Other thoughts:

Pro: there's multiplayer!

Con: in the trailer there's a 2 on 1 battle with multiplayer. Which means multiplayer is going to be a walk in the park. The games have already gotten easier, this is just a way to make them even easier.

Neutral: Graphics. While I think it looks "nicer" I'm not a fan of moving back towards the chibi style. I thought it was fine in ORAS but once SM came out I knew I liked that style better. So while I think the graphics are cool the style is what I take issue with if that makes sense.

Pro: Pokemon in the overworld. I guess this is something I like that's more akin to Go. I kind of prefer this over random encounters.

Unsure: They said this is a remake of Yellow, right? I'm assuming that means our starter is either Pikachu or Eevee depending on version (obvious). However, back in the original Yellow version you couldn't evolve your Pikachu. I would hate if that carries over to the Eevee version. I want my Espeon starter. Though since it's a Yellow remake they might limit it to Flareon, Vaporeon, or Jolteon. That's okay I guess, I'll take one of those. But if I'm forced to have my starter be a weakling for the entire adventure that would be terrible.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think what makes me saddest is, as someone who's really looked forward to a Kanto game with the best graphics technology can afford, this is the remake I'm stuck with. Once again, "ever the bridesmaid, never the bride" for poor Kanto in its relationship to Johto. I fully expect we're going to get an HGSS remake some day that is going to deliver in every way possible I wanted the FRLG remake to. Sigh. Oh well.

But hey! Look on the bright side: at least it's not the Gen 4 remakes getting saddled with this. I can still cling to hope of a UE4-redone Sinnoh with Cynthia, Cyrus, and everyone else in the full graphical glory that the Switch has to offer.

THIS JUST IN!

"Okay, NOW Mr. Masuda has been up on stage, and there's another (yes, a second) core RPG due to come in the second half of 2019, in addition Let's Go! and Quest."

YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PLEASE!

God dammit, PLEASE.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #60
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The chibi-style is almost certainly to compete against Yo-Kai Watch.

This hit GF like a wrecking ball.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"2019 core RPG (untitled) is set to be "in the style of X and Y and Sun and Moon". This should appease competitive players, with Let's Go! aimed at a broad audience, "a core RPG for everyone"."

SIGN ME UP FOR TEAM COMP!

... But seriously, no, what the fuck is going on over at Game Freak? Now we have two different pretenders to the crown? "I'm the main series core game!" "No, I'm the main series core game!" We never had this shit with Ranger or Mystery Dungeon. Those games knew their place. Even when they were better than their contemporary main series outings. But now we as fans have to choose whether we want to be on Team Casual or Team Smogon? This is so bizarre.

... Guess I'm buying both but am just happy to be getting my Q4 2019 game with Switch-appropriate graphics.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #62
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

LG!P&E trailer here.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #63
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's kind of jarring that 148/150 Pokemon will have their Gen I cries, but Pikachu and Eevee will say their names.

In fact, this is probably the first time I've seen another Pokemon say its name in a GF game.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Eevee's イーブィ name is very cute, so I have very mixed feelings on the prospect of losing the adorable and iconic MIDI cry for an also-adorable and anime-iconic MP3 voice actress recording. I want both! Both are nice.

The boxart for the final products is too damn adorable. I'm unenthusiastic about these games but that boxart is demanding I buy both. ¬_¬;

The more I think about what we're seeing here, the more I'm convinced:
  • Let's Go! isn't really a main series game, but moreso a "side title in the main series line", if that makes any sense. Clearly it's based off of RGBY. Clearly in that sense it is a "main series" game. But like ... it 100% looks like it's meant to appeal to the super casual market. More specifically ...
  • Let's Go! is a PoGo fan's dream come true. It's the game that let's them take their Go acquisitions and use them in a fun, friendly Story Mode way.
  • Let's Go!'s graphics are a mixture of meaning to appeal to the little tykes (Doppel's point about Yo-Kai Watch) and to PoGo casuals and other casuals
  • the REAL main series sequel is coming out at the end of 2019, which is what I have been saying it would probably do for a long time now
  • we're probably not going to get a trailer for it until January or February 2019, similar to XY and SM
  • Let's Go! m-i-g-h-t not even require the VGC scene to move over from the 3DS to the Switch just yet. It's entirely possible that if Let's Go! only has the original 151 Pokémon (or an otherwise limited roster) that we're going to see the competitive scene remaining behind on USUM for another year, fully with TPCi's backing.
When I think of it like this ... I guess all I can say is, I'm happy for the casuals that Let's Go! exists. I'd be pissed if it were our only offering on the horizon, but with the (imv) real main series games hovering less than two years away, I'm more than happy to let Let's Go! rule the bulk of 2019 while we wait for a probable November '19 release for Gen 8.

That boxart, though ... *HRNGH*
Old 05-29-2018, 09:23 PM   #65
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey, let's look at the bright side.

Ash Ketchum, Alolan League Champion, or at least Ash gets to demolish a filler league/battle frontier/Rainbow Rocket in 2019!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #66
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Serebii is additionally reporting ...
  • the game only features the first 151 Pokémon + some Alolan Pokémon
  • there are no wild Pokémon battles, just the capture
  • there will be at least one Pokémon that has never been seen before. (This is the Pokémon referenced in the trailer and sent to Pokémon GO.)
  • Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are listed to have no online play.
No online play confirms for us:
- LG! not replacing USUM as far as VGC is concerned
- LG! not replacing USUM even as far as casual competitive play is concerned
- LG! has no way of acquiring Pokémon through the GTS or other long-distance trades -- only through in-game captures, breeding(?), and trading with your smartphone's Go app

Only having the original 151 further suggests that this game can be thought of moreso as a "fun, official side story" appetizer than as a main series main course proper. A lot of people's favorite Pokémon, or two, or twenty, exist outside of the list of the original 151. There's no way they can ask people to be happy with this game for a year and to think of it as the main series replacement for SMUSUM.

So they're not. They won't. It'll be marketed as a "core series" RPG, but those of us who are hardcore into Pokémon will understand that the games actually intended by Game Freak to place SMUSUM into retirement will be coming out in late 2019.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 PM   #67
Char
Banned

Fun for anyone
Old 05-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #68
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

So what i'm getting is that they're like XD or Collo, just with a bit more support?

This is fine.

In the meantime, I need to start working on GS cup teams for VGC. They nerfed a lot of the garbage from 16 and a potential GS for 19 looks to be a fun format.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #69
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

No online play is false per Serebii.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:46 AM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So I didn't notice this until now, and I apologize if y'all already mentioned it, but ... that PokéBall accessory costs $50. @_@ So they want $110 from us to play this game with PokéBall accessory. Or, after tax, around $120.

The no Internet, yes Internet thing is kinda disappointing insofar as no Internet would have clinched that this game is optional for comp players. Now we have to wait for official word on whether we'll be required to get this game for VGC 2019 or not. (LOL, imagine that! VGC 2019 is Yellowdex only! )

Some of my friends really like the graphics. I'm not thrilled with the cheap, smartphone app-ey look of the art style, but I've been saying to them "I don't like the graphics" and I guess on reviewing the trailer I really ought to reclarify. The graphics are the most lucid and fluid we've ever seen them be. I can't knock that. It's just that style-wise I'd rather pick SMUSUM over Let's Go!. The latter feels ... like one of those modern-era kids shows for children ages 3-6 that is made with the cheap-o CGI look. It isn't ugly, per se, but it's ... off-puttingly cheap / Fisher-Price looking. It feels like a step back relative to SMUSUM's more anime-ey look where, despite being cartoonish (because anime-ey) it also felt mature(r). I dunno. Anyone else getting this same vibe?
Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 AM   #71
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Not really thrilled by any part of this announcement.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #72
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

phoopes' earlier post got me to realize that the "new pokemon" might end up being that new eeveelution everyone's been speculating about. The "alolan mons" might just be feral regional forms that made their way back to Kanto.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #73
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
phoopes' earlier post got me to realize that the "new pokemon" might end up being that new eeveelution everyone's been speculating about. The "alolan mons" might just be feral regional forms that made their way back to Kanto.
Alola forms will be a good way to balance the type changes that have occurred since RBY. Alola Rattata, Grimer, and Meowth are all Dark. Exeggutor adds another Dragon, and many are already retconned to Fairy.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #74
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Unsure: They said this is a remake of Yellow, right? I'm assuming that means our starter is either Pikachu or Eevee depending on version (obvious). However, back in the original Yellow version you couldn't evolve your Pikachu. I would hate if that carries over to the Eevee version. I want my Espeon starter. Though since it's a Yellow remake they might limit it to Flareon, Vaporeon, or Jolteon. That's okay I guess, I'll take one of those. But if I'm forced to have my starter be a weakling for the entire adventure that would be terrible.
I can't remember where I read it but I read it confirmed the starter Pikachu or Eevee couldn't evolve but there are wild Pikachu and Eevee that can evolve.

I know Eevee has become a bit of a popular dark horse of the franchise but it seems silly to have Eevee mascot a game where you can't access over half of it's evolution line? You know, like its main trait?
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #75
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
I can't remember where I read it but I read it confirmed the starter Pikachu or Eevee couldn't evolve but there are wild Pikachu and Eevee that can evolve.

I know Eevee has become a bit of a popular dark horse of the franchise but it seems silly to have Eevee mascot a game where you can't access over half of it's evolution line? You know, like its main trait?
...this is incredibly dumb. Yes it's been confirmed that other Eevee can evolve but only into Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon.

At least they confirmed Alola forms are in the game so I guess that makes it a little better? Idk man, I'm overall verrrrry disappointed with this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News