UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #51
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
All of your examples included new hardware with added functionality. As far as I'm aware, the 2DS does not add anything to the 3DS. It's just a 3DS without the 3D.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #52
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
All of your examples included new hardware with added functionality. As far as I'm aware, the 2DS does not add anything to the 3DS. It's just a 3DS without the 3D.
One large touchscreen =/= two smaller screens of which only one is a touchscreen. C'mon, guys.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #53
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
One large touchscreen =/= two smaller screens of which only one is a touchscreen. C'mon, guys.
The top screen is a touch screen? Where was that stated in the commercial?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #54
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
If I were the sort to say "lolwut", I'd say it here.
  1. The reason it's been billed as only playing 3DS and DS games is precisely because it is just a 3DS in the end. Not because it couldn't have been more, but because it was shackled from being more.
  2. The Game Boy Color played Game Boy games ... and it also had some GBC exclusives.
    The Game Boy Advance played Game Boy Color games ... and it also had many GBA exclusives.
    The Nintendo DS played Game Boy Advance games ... and it also had many DS exclusives.
    The 3DS played ... look, I think you can see the pattern.

So there's no reason to think, none whatsoever, that the 2DS couldn't have had "2DS-only" games had it been marketed like the DS originally was -- "I'm not here to replace the GBA! I'm here to co-exist alongside it!" The DS's own history is proof enough of this.
  3. I think you may have utterly missed the part where many first-party games for the DS that were launched after the DSi featured gameplay elements that only DSi owners could access. This only worsened with DS games released after the launch of the 3DS. If you look at Pokémon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2, for example, there are features that showed up in commercial advertisements for the games which are invisible (and inaccessible) when you play the game on a DS or DS Lite. Like, half of the stuff you can do with the Xtransceiver. If you had a camera (DSi, 3DS, 3DS XL), you could do all of this camera-related Street Pass stuff. And if you had a 3DS, there were bonus features to the Xtransceiver (mostly minigames) that can't be found when playing on a DS or DS Lite. So to say that the presence of bonus technologies on a later iteration of the hardware won't have any effect on the games is just downright wrong based on the games we already have. While none of those things I mentioned are game-shattering, there's no reason why 2DS-only features would be out of the picture either. "Having one large touch screen wouldn't affect past nor future games at all," you say, but I just don't think that's the least bit true. If they had had the 2DS be a DS Tablet, it very likely would have led certain developers to want to make games that made use of the large, single touchscreen and locked 3DS and 3DS XL owners out of the room.
I dunno. I don't want to be mean about this but your comment just seems really, really incorrect to me so I have to say something, especially since it was addressed to me. :\

...I was addressing it to MG directly (suppose I should have quoted him). It was actually in agreement with your Ars comment.

My point was that the 2DS is a 3DS. Where MG said "No, you can't have a large touch screen because it would make 2DS games incompatible with other 3DS/XL systems", I say "No, that's incorrect, because it is a 3DS, therefore having one large touch screen wouldn't alter the gameplay if the game was played in a normal 3DS as opposed to the concept of the 2DS Ars is showing us."
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #55
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
The top screen is a touch screen? Where was that stated in the commercial?
It wasn't, we're talking about the Ars concept of using one large screen.

The 2DS has apparently been confirmed to be one screen separated by a plastic overlay, so it's true - why not just make it one giant screen, like a tablet?

That's what we're discussing.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #56
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

That would kind of suck. I understand having a whole touch screen would be neat, but Nintendo would start making games that would only work with the new screen, and I would hate for my 3DS to go obsolete so quickly.

I haven't played a regular 3DS, but I like my XL. I haven't really noticed any bad pixelation on any of the games, but of course I have never been big on graphics. For regular DS games, it just reduces the screen resolution to a regular screen size.

I can't really give any opinions on the 2DS. It looks really weird to me, but that's because I'm not used to it, and I've never been crazy about tablets. I mean, yeah it's cheaper, but if you're buying a new thing for gaming, you're going to spend big bucks even with the cheaper item, so a $40 price difference is not that much when you'd be forking out $300+ with the system and games.

Of course, I'll always be partial to the product I'm used to. I don't regret buying my XL in the least, if that means anything to anyone.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #57
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

This looks like garbage. Sorry Talon. The fact that it doesn't close makes it pretty useless.

"BUT KUNO, THE ORIGINAL GAMEBOY AND SUCH DIDN'T CLOSE"

Yes but they all fit in our pockets. This this is an abomination upon man. If this closed or was smaller it would have been the greatest thing ever.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #58
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Wouldn't a 2DS game, in a sense, be a DS game then? It's not taking advantage of 3D technology.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #59
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

They were talking about if it was the tablet thing.

That said, in response to your question, no. DS and 3DS cartridges are different, and may even vary in how they're programmed.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #60
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
Wouldn't a 2DS game, in a sense, be a DS game then? It's not taking advantage of 3D technology.
If a 3DS were simply a DS with 3-D technology, then sure. But it isn't. The 3DS is like a portable GameCube or Wii; the DS is like a portable N64. So the 2DS will likewise be akin to a portable GameCube or Wii, just without any 3-D special effects. It's not like losing 3-D means it also loses an entire generation's worth of computing power.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #61
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
I already feel bad for all the Best Buy/Gamestop/whatever employees that have to answer this question 30 times a day.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #62
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Dayum. Yeah. Had they released this instead, y'all woulda been drooling over the 2DS instead of har har'ing at its design. "I wish my 3DS was a tablet with one enormous touchscreen ... ;(" Missed opportunity indeed.
Not really. The same lack of clamshell would still be a complete dealbreaker for me, because fitting it in my pocket for easy transport (almost never have a bag with me unless I'm headed to stay somewhere for a week or so) is right near the top of my priority list. I only have a laptop over a desktop because I got it in a massive sale for Ł300 where a desktop with comparable specs (except graphics, but I don't play modern games on PC so I literally do not care) would've set me back Ł700.

The DS & 3DS are right on the upper end of what I'd consider actually portable. If Nintendo handhelds get any bigger I will cease to buy them because, honestly, if I'm only going to play a console at home I have my Xbox. Given the tablet would've ended up pretty much replacing the 3DS, that'd have been it for me.

Last edited by Concept; 08-29-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #63
deoxys
Fog Badge

Dorkly wrote up this pretty incredible post under the guise of Satoru Iwata explaining the 2DS. Spoilered for size, one slight Pokemon X/Y spoiler in the text! But this is just too good to not share!

Spoiler: show
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just read that the 2DS is not going to be sold in the Japanese market. The tidbit came up in a discussion over whether or not the 2DS has killed 3DS fans' chances for any future games which will integrate 3-D into the game's fabric, i.e. which will require you to turn the 3-D on and use it if you want to play the game successfully. Some 3DS owners were concerned that the 2DS would indeed mean the end of developers developing such games. And a few Western developers were starting to weigh in with their own bottom-line thoughts as well, saying that, sure enough, news about the 2DS was making them reconsider wasting any time on developing games with gameplay which would center around something only achievable with 3-D turned on. But if it's true that the 2DS won't be sold in Japan, then I don't think 3DS owners have anything to worry about -- at least not as far as first-party titles are concerned.

In fact, I feel like it's the opposite now: it's the early fans of the 2DS who have got something to worry about. 2DS fans will now have to worry that a future game may come from Nintendo -- a Metroid, a Star Fox, a Zelda, something -- which tries to court 3DS lovers by heavily pushing the 3-D feature of the 3DS. Or even if it's not a first-party title that does it (given Nintendo's many assurances that they'd never require 3-D in any of their published games), I wonder if some popular third-party or second-party title won't do it. Some Resident Evil or some Mega Man or some Sonic the Hedgehog, something, where if you don't have 3-D turned on then you're going to miss jumps a lot because you'll misjudge the distance, or something.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this rumor is true or not. So take it with a grain of salt for now. But it's also something to pay attention to in the coming months. If Japan doesn't have the 2DS right now but they then demand it (and get it) by Christmas, that's probably a very bad sign for 3DS fanboys who want more games to make use of 3-D.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #65
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I don't think that developers would stop doing 3D games until at least the 2DS starts outselling the 3DS by a decent margin. Even if developers don't feel it might be worthwhile, I'm sure Nintendo will push for it.

And I can't really imagine that many 3D games which would be hindered by 2D since it's not a hologram or something. The screens for the 3D and 2D still show the same visual data, just without the brain and eye straining effect.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #66
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Apparently the 3D function really helps/is almost necessary for some platformers because it helps with depth perception. Besides that it sucks.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I went to Best Buy the other day hopeful to see a 2DS demo unit. No such luck. Asked a sales rep what he knew. He shared that, when it comes to Nintendo's demo kiosks, those decisions are made by Nintendo of America themselves out in Redmond and that Best Buy doesn't really have any say nor clue regarding things like how many demo units to have on display, when the first (if any) demo units will show up, whether to have 2DSes on display side-by-side with 3DSes and 3DS XLs to enable consumers to make the best decision they can before dropping $100+ on a device, etc. Not surprising, of course, but disappointing. Was definitely hoping to be able to see the 3DS XL and the 2DS side by side so that I could tell which one's screen looked better to my eyes.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #68
Loki

I cannot imagine Nintendo allowing any retail store access to even demo units prior to release. At best, a Nintendo store might, but not this far in advance.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #69
deoxys
Fog Badge

What? The the 3DS XL and the Nintendo Wii all had demo units popping up at various stores a week to two weeks prior to release.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #70
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
What? The the 3DS XL and the Nintendo Wii all had demo units popping up at various stores a week to two weeks prior to release.
Then that will be next Saturday.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #71
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Went to Amazon.com to see if they had any 2DS deals.

Haha, no, silly. I want to see the 2DS! [/Homer Simpson]

... noooooo, when I said "2ds minus 3ds", that wasn't your cue to give me the other "DS with a number" you think I meant.

Now let's specify that the category we want it to search in is Video Games and try again ...

Let's take away the "-3ds" bit. -_-;

Let's put the "2ds" in quotes! -__-;

-_____-;

Nintendo isn't making it very easy for Amazon, and Amazon isn't making it very easy for Nintendo.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #72
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Yeah Amazon has been making it rough for Nintendo for quite a while now. Those jerks.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #73
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

What made you think Amazon would have deals on the 2DS when it won't come out for another 3 weeks?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #74
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
What made you think Amazon would have deals on the 2DS when it won't come out for another 3 weeks?
Bundles, dude.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #75
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

If there hadn't been any 3DS for $130 late last year I likely woulda ended up snagging a 2DS this year since its the same price. It looks like a cute lil system an I never use 3d anyway. The lack of extra speaker & closing stinks though. Its good ta see 'em noticing price most definetely is an issue this year in both hardware and game pricing now semi-reliably returning to the $30~$35 range as opposed to the $40 base.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games