Announcement video

..... lol

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
So... it's a 3DS... that doesn't do 3D... and doesn't close.

Who else wants to stage an intervention for Nintendo?
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Was going to say that I'd be interested in getting it until I read Dave's post and realized he's absolutely right. ^^; I don't actually mind the fact that it doesn't close too much since neither the Game Boy nor the Game Boy Advance did -- all this clam shell nonsense is only from the DS on up! :p And I didn't have a GBA SP, so there! -- but the thing that worries me is that the screen isn't likely as scratch-resistant as the GB and GBA ones were. It's likely just as scratch-resistant as the DS and 3DS screens. Which is ... not very. ^^; Another thing that I like about the clam shell is that it's designed to allow you to put the unit into a hibernation mode just by closing the lid. I do this all the time. If the 2DS would lack such a feature, it'd be the sort of thing which might steer me towards the 3DS instead. (EDIT: see my post below. Yes, I noticed the Sleep button.)

Thing is, I don't get much benefit from the 3DS's 3-dimensional video output. I can guarantee you that I'd be playing 99% of my games with the slider turned all the way off 99% of the time. Maybe every once in a while I'd turn it up real fast just to see what Pokémon Y looks like in 3-D, but aside from that? No thanks, I'd rather not have (what to my eyes is) really crappy, really unrealistic "3-D" like what 3-D glasses produce. If 3-D glasses work for you just fine, that's great! But they don't for me, and neither does the 3DS. So I'd be perfectly happy to shave off $40 if it meant all I lost was a feature I wasn't likely to use anyway.

Throw in the possibility probability of improved battery life and better display than either the 3DS or the 3DS XL have and I'd be sold. But yeah, the fact that it doesn't close is... hmm. ^^; I'll have to see.

Last edited by Talon87; 08-28-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Yeah Talon, you pretty much just explained all of my own thoughts on the subject (I really didn't like the GBA-SP). And I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns on the 3DS and had to turn the 3D off after about five minutes because it was going to make me hurl. I was expecting that since my eyesight is on the very limit of being able to be corrected with lenses (any further and I'd be registered blind) but it was still a kick in the pants to not be able to use it's flagship feature, especially since I need this console to play XY.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not sure how much these matter, but I've noticed some other things as I compare this unit against the original 3DS. I'll go ahead and compile a comprehensive list of things noticed so far.

Pros:
  • has more easily pressed Start and Select buttons (?)
  • has a far less easily pressed Power button, which is great to avoid accidental resets
  • $40 or so cheaper
  • lack of clam shell design means that you don't have to suffer with broken hinges like I do right now on my DS Lite
Cons:
  • only has one speaker output. So it's probably going to produce mono sound instead of stereo sound. Hello, my old Game Boy from 1991? ^^;
  • can't close, which means the screens might get scratched more easily.
Neutrals:
  • has a Sleep Mode button on the bottom right corner. So it can do what the clam shells can, just differently. I'm okay with that.
  • both screens are centered in between where your hands -- and focus -- will be, instead of having all of the buttons on the bottom and nowhere near the top screen where your focus usually is. This can be bad (hands obscure enter into vision) or it can be good (much easier to eyeball button presses). *shrug*
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
It's targeted for younger kids. I personally think it looks hideous and the name might confuse people, but who knows what will happen.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I don't know what's stranger- the 2DS, the fact that I wanted one, or the fact that the only thing stopping me is that the screens are supposedly the size of the regular 3DS's screen, as opposed to the size of the 3DS XL's screens.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That last one strikes me as the strangest considering that I have heard that while all games look 100% perfect on the regular 3DS, quite a few games (no idea what percentage) look kind of bad on the 3DS XL because of how the game's engine renders graphics. Amras has sworn up and down on the forums that he's tickled pink by his XL purchase, but other XL owners' disappointment with the way visuals look sometimes is the one thing that has consistently steered me moreso towards the 3DS (with a lower price but crappier battery and buttons) than the 3DS XL (with the opposite). Also, I like that the 3DS can fit in a denim pocket without looking like I shoved something in there that I should not have. I bring my DS Lite with me on the go maybe once a month, so it comes up often enough.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
Holy ****, it plays games in 2D? What an innovation!

First impression: the announcement video is absolute tripe. When this is one's first thought, you know something's gone horribly wrong. They appear to be relying on selling this game to the poor sods who've been in a coma for the last 3 years or so, because all of the "features" they're advertising appear on the 3DS. Hell, they have been available since the original DS was released (bar playing 3DS games, obviously).

From what I can gather, this console has no new features in terms of software, nor indeed much in terms of hardware, and the changes are simply what you see on the outside? Can't say anything that hasn't already been said, other than: "Thanks, Nintendo, but I already shelled out so I could play Ocarina of Time 2.0 and FE: Awakening on release! Don't need your ugly new thing."

On the positive side, it's a cheap alternative for people who don't have one. Or people who broke their 3DS already. This is clearly its target market. Having said that, the ad is still laughable.

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

Was gonna say, this has been stated numerous times that the intent of the device is to target a. children (and parents who feel a 3DS is too expensive for a Christmas present) and b. people struggling financially who would still like to be able to play the new Pokemon games.

Because more than anything, especially that it's launching on the day X and Y comes out, this system looks like it was made solely for those who have yet to upgrade to a 3DS but are on the edge about getting one for the 6th Gen.

It's still ugly as sin though.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I might consider getting this (because 3D often hurts my eyes so I wouldn't be using it), but the lack of clamshell pisses me off. My DS screen is badly scratched enough (admittedly release day DS), and how the hell am I supposed to fit this thing in my pocket?

In the UK it's a Ł25 price difference between this and and 3DS (GAME: Ł134.99 3DS, Ł109.99 DS) and I'm ok shelling out that for something where the screens won't be dead in a fortnight and a handheld console I can actually, y'know, carry with me.

Last edited by Concept; 08-28-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Can't add lol
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Char
Banned

EDIT: There seems to be a lot of positive reaction on my Facebook feed. Like people who were worried about not being able to afford a 3DS to play X/Y.

Last edited by Char; 08-28-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
That last one strikes me as the strangest considering that I have heard that while all games look 100% perfect on the regular 3DS, quite a few games (no idea what percentage) look kind of bad on the 3DS XL because of how the game's engine renders graphics.
I have literally never heard this to be the case. I have an XL and it looks great.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

Same, love my XL, though I've heard of some games looking kind of meh due to being stretched to fit a bigger screen than originally intended, though I've never had that issue.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I have literally never heard this to be the case. I have an XL and it looks great.
A minute in Google.

http://www.gamesradar.com/11-things-...youve-got-one/ (scroll down to Point #5)

Spending nine minutes more in Google, what I find is:
Pixelation: 90%+ of XL owners say it's fine, while 50%+ of 3DS owners say the 3DS looks sharper while the XL looks more pixelated. Both camps will obviously have their own biases, but since you can't go wrong with the 3DS on this point, I'd call it a point in favor of the 3DS.

Size: 90%+ of XL owners say they vastly prefer the extra screen size, and 50% of 3DS owners seem to lust after it too but content themselves with their sharp screens. (See above.) Sounds like a point for the XL.

Comfort: seems like 99%+ of XL owners and a fair chunk of 3DS owners agree: the XL is way, way more comfortable to hold in your hands for prolonged gaming sessions. Some XL fans go so far as to say that you can't hold a regular 3DS for more than 30 minutes without cramping, but I think that's a bit of a stretch, personally .... Still, I'd give this one to the XL.

Battery Life: XL. No one debates this.

Other little knickknacks: people seem to prefer the XL but no one really gives a hoot.

Pocket portability: 3DS. This is ardently debated by a small minority of proud XL owners, but most seem ready to agree that the XL is simply too big to place in a jeans pocket and walk around with. You'll need a jacket pocket or larger to make this one work. Point for the 3DS.
Overall, I guess I'd want to playtest Pokémon Y at Best Buy and decide based on that. If it looked great in both games, I'd probably lean towards the 3DS XL at this point. If it was noticeably better in the 3DS than in the 3DS XL, then I'd go for the original.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Sneaze
Mrow?

My biggest potential issue with the 2DS is actually that both screens are level, as are the buttons. It just doesn't seem like it would be too comfortable on the hands or the eyes for extended periods of time.

Also, games that rely on the Circle Pad Pro to be playable (like Monster Hunter) won't be able to really be played comfortably unless they make a new Circle Pad Pro, which will just make the thing even MORE bulky.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Also, games that rely on the Circle Pad Pro to be playable (like Monster Hunter) won't be able to really be played comfortably unless they make a new Circle Pad Pro, which will just make the thing even MORE bulky.
Out of curiosity, did they make one for both the 3DS and the 3DS XL? Or just one or the other? If they made one for both, I don't see why they wouldn't consider making one here ... other than that it might just not be ergonomically feasible.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Sneaze
Mrow?

They did make one for both, yes. But I'm saying, the Circle Pad Pro was created after they made the XL. They easily could have just included another circle pad in the 2DS and it would have been INSTANTLY WORTH IT to buy it.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just looked it up, as I did not realize that the Circle Pad Pro was an official Nintendo product. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ... makes this really dumb of them. ^_^; I always thought that that add-on was a third-party product. Didn't realize it was Nintendo's own thing. Yeah, given that they already did the official Circle Pad Pro, they really ought to have made a 3DS with two analog sticks built into it. It'd be no different than how they had the precision-enhancing add-ons for original Wiimotes that were later built into the Wiimote 2.0s.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
Sneaze
Mrow?

Worse yet, they are making games which specifically have on their case that they are meant to be played with the Circle Pad Pro.

Bad move, Nintendo, bad move.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #21
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

I personally don't really care for the 2DS since I already own a 3DS XL (which I don't regret buying it, even right after its launch), but I would think it's a good move since it costs less and will push some people who hates the 3D to buy it. I do find it sucks it cannot be closed to protect the screens though, and the fact it'll end up more bulky than the 3DS XL (then again you never know, I find the XL's size not that bad for pockets) and looks... kinda strange ^^;

I wonder how the battery life will be compared to the XL. If it's just as good or better than it, then good for those who's getting the 2DS Another thing I wonder is if this 2DS, especially with its Sleep Mode activated via a different way other than closing and/or other details I might forget, will affect certification related to title publications. But that's just me as a Nintendo-specialized tester speaking XP

>Circle Pad Pro

Hmm, I thought that there's actually two different models, one for original 3DS and another for the XL. As mentioned by these two articles here and here. Perhaps it's a third party that made one compatible with both, but I dunno to that point.

As for they are meant to be played with the Circle Pad Pro, well it's more of a "recommendation" than a "requirement". Just added publicity for the Circle Pad Pro, that's all.

All in all though, I don't really care about the Circle Pad Pro. It's just as gimmicky as the 3D XP

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Worse yet, they are making games which specifically have on their case that they are meant to be played with the Circle Pad Pro.

Bad move, Nintendo, bad move.
Motivation to hold off on the X&Y launch and hold out once again for a 3DS Lite rising ...
Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I thought this was a troll thread.

I would vastly prefer it to be a troll thread.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
>Circle Pad Pro

Hmm, I thought that there's actually two different models, one for original 3DS and another for the XL. As mentioned by these two articles here and here. Perhaps it's a third party that made one compatible with both, but I dunno to that point.

As for they are meant to be played with the Circle Pad Pro, well it's more of a "recommendation" than a "requirement". Just added publicity for the Circle Pad Pro, that's all.

All in all though, I don't really care about the Circle Pad Pro. It's just as gimmicky as the 3D XP
There are ones for both the 3DS and the 3DSXL. I'm saying they'll need to make one for the 2DS, which is dumb because they could have just built it into the system with ease.

Also, I defy you to play Monster Hunter without the Circle Pad Pro. There's a reason they recommend the thing. It's bloody impossible to adjust the camera and move at the same time without it.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
There are ones for both the 3DS and the 3DSXL. I'm saying they'll need to make one for the 2DS, which is dumb because they could have just built it into the system with ease.
There more you know *shooting star* But yeah, they'll have to make one for the 2DS... which yup, I agree they could've just integrated with it. However, doing this would put up the 2DS' price, which goes the opposite way of what seems to be the direction Nintendo is trying to get: A cheap "3"DS.
Quote:
Also, I defy you to play Monster Hunter without the Circle Pad Pro. There's a reason they recommend the thing. It's bloody impossible to adjust the camera and move at the same time without it.
Can't be worse than what I've played with! XP But I'm not gonna get into that, as I'm afraid that goes against my confidentiality contract. Joking/blabbering aside, although I admit I never had the chance to play any game that uses the Circle Pad Pro, I can imagine how hard it is. Then again, I believe the Circle Pad Pro came out at the same time as Monster Hunter, right? Either it was a "experimental" stage so they didn't think the Circle Pad Pro was that much needed to play the game; for some silly reason they didn't think about how hard it made the game without it; or, evil as it sounds, did it on purpose to raise the Circle Pad Pro sales.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games