UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 04-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to SulcataIxlude Send a message via MSN to SulcataIxlude Send a message via Yahoo to SulcataIxlude
Pokemon diamond and pearl.

It's officially out today. Anyone else here purchased it, and if so explain what you've done in the game and such to far along with your friend codes. ;)
SulcataIxlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Re: Pokemon diamond and pearl.

I've done pretty much everything. ^_^

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Of course you have, Zora! You own the Japanese version! :P

My roommate wouldn't take me to a store to buy it because, and I quote, "It's not like you can do anything with it since you don't have your DS." I could look at it. And read the manual over and over and over.

I'll get my copy of Pearl in a week or two. Still haven't decided what I will call my (female) trainer. I definitely know that I will be getting Naetoru/Turtwig, since my friend Sean insists on getting Pocchama/Prinplup. Sort of sucky for me, since I think Empoleon is the most useful of the three starters' final evos. (Blaziken over San Goku and then Terrtora, or whatever he's called, doesn't strike me as being very useful at all ... but he's still a unique Grass/Ground guy unlike San Goku. :P). Actually ... if it turns out that the fire monkey is the best creature to have of the three starters, then I could be persuaded to get him. Empoleon ...... oh well.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Wait they came out today? While a sunday launch isn't unprecedented due to Emerald.... it's kind weird they would release these on a "holiday" (earth day). Anyway just thought that was odd. I got no interest in these games so I'll move along now~ have fun though!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:16 PM   #5

I'll probably be getting my copy of Diamond in two weeks. Payday on the second week of May.

Hmm, and I'd just like to try to convince Talon that although Goku has a boring typing and looks horrendous, it is probably the best of the three starters for various reasons.

A Water/Steel type has common weaknesses which makes it rather a boring pokemon to use, especially because its stats won't help it survive. I mean, every team has at least 2 Earthquakes and with the new advent of powerful grass moves, Empoleon will be having trouble. Its also outclassed by other water types who do pretty much the same thing but better, such as Milotic, Vaporeon, and Suicune.

The grass starter is cool. Hella unique typing and all round lovely stats. A chunky HP stat, Defense stat, and ok Special Defense stat makes this an ideal wall. It can also do quite a bit of damage with its great attack and STAB Wood Hammer and Earthquakes. However, the main thing that is keeping this back from use is its VERY common weakness to Ice. A 4x weakness to a type that every team will stack up on isn't good, mainly for the land shark. But if that doesn't stop you, Torterra is an awesome pokemon.

Fire monkey, however, is the best competitively because of its high speed and attacking stats. With its speed, it outruns MANY pokemon and does severe damage with its attacks. A large movepool and stats to keep it going makes this an ideal sweeper on many teams. Just a few things this thing can do: STAB Life Orb'd Flare Blitz can 2hko many pokemon on average, if they aren't resistant. It also has STAB Close Combat to own things too. Its weaknesses are much more difficult to exploit because Goku is faster than many of the users and can hit them with a SE hit easily.

So in the end, it may be all up to your opinion, but looking at them in a more competitive view, Goku is the most usable.

For me, personally, I like the grass starter. xd
Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

So far, I've picked Piplup, gotten the Pokedex, and captured Bidoof, Shinx, and Starly =o hurrah.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to SulcataIxlude Send a message via MSN to SulcataIxlude Send a message via Yahoo to SulcataIxlude

I started out with the monkey starter, and I'm going to fight my rival.

*Monkey is named Abe btw.*
Old 04-23-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You named him Abe again!? lol What are you going to do when we find out that D/P really can trade between regions after all? :P ;)
Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 AM   #9
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

I kinda lost my japanese diamond version, and the team I plan on crafting might not be a exact replica of the team I had on the japanese verision. And I was originally going to name the monkey orang panas, but I couldn't fit it all in. (Orang Panas means hot man in Indonesian.)
Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Did you try without the space in between the words? I know that in RBYGSC, the character limit was set to 10 English characters. For example, Tentacruel (10 characters). Since that creature's name requires (at a minimum) 10 characters, I "know" without even playing the game that you could have typed OrangPanas. I just want to hear from you why you didn't. ^_^;

EDIT: Just realized, though, that (strictly speaking) creature names aren't necessarily the best indicator for trainer name length maximums. I'd need to find evidence of a human's name that is 10 characters in length. Hmm .................

Sabrina, seven. Wattson, seven. Satoshi, seven. Shigeru, seven. Crap. :\ And all my names have always been five characters (by coincidence) -- Talon, (secret), and Ayane. Hmm. Odd, that. Three names, all five characters. Weird.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:25 AM   #11
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Another hint in unraveling the mystery that is Talons name. Five characters, or can be abbreviated to five.

It better be a damned cool name, I'm going to be pissed if it's "Jacob" or something.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:18 AM   #12
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

I restarted my file, and kept doing so until I got a sexy hasty chimchar. Whom I promptly named Panas (Hot in Indonesian.) Now he is almost level 14, and I'm going to kill the first gym leader soon.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muyo
Another hint in unraveling the mystery that is Talons name. Five characters, or can be abbreviated to five.
Not like it couldn't be a middle name or a nickname derived from the last name or something.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

YOUR NAME IS DOOPLISS!

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #15
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Talon's rl name is Jesus. ;) Anyways I found my diamond version, so I decided to restart again and play with the penguin. His name is Es Biru (blue ice in Indonesian.)
Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well ... I hope you don't have to start over for a third time ... in case we find out that the rumors about "only being able to battle internationally, and not being able to trade internationally" turn out to be true. (For what it's worth, I highly doubt these rumors are true since GameFreak's interview in Nintendo Power made specific reference to the fact that Pokemon that the trainer gets from a different part of the world will have their PokeDex entry in that foreign language until the trainer decides to put it into his own native tongue ... or something like that.)
Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #17
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Even if we can't battle or trade with non english versions of the game, I most likely will not restart again. :P Besides my sassy penguin guy is pretty cool, I just need to find a hasty or jolly starly now. :O
Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I forgot to mention, I visited EB Games after lunch to see if they had any shrink-wrapped copies of the game. Here's what I got ...
Quote:
Talon: Do you have any shrink-wrapped copies of the new Pokemon game available?
Clerk: Yeah, we do. *looks in a cardboard box behind him suggestively*
Talon: Okay.
Clerk: ...
Talon: Can I--
Clerk: Sorry. These are all pre-orders.
Talon: Oh. Well, that's what I meant when I asked you, 'Do you have any copies available'. (Jackass. -_-)
Clerk: Yeah, sorry. (Hehe, I'm a tool. ) The pre-order status on these expires in 48 hours, so ... check back tomorrow evening and if we still have any, maybe you can get one.
Talon: Yeah, thanks. (Ass.)
Clerk: (Right back at ya.)
Son of a bitch. What a jerk. "Yeah we do ... oh wait, not for you, loser." Wtf.

So ... unless I can convince my roommate to take me to Wal-Mart or Target *AND* they happen to have one or more copies of Pearl in stock, I'm s.o.l. for now. Not like it matters, since my DS Lite is currently on Day 3 of being in the UPS system. Probably hasn't even arrived at Nintendo's repair center yet ... never mind that they have to evaluate the broken subpixels, decide if it's my fault or their fault, and then mail it back to me fixed (for free) or unfixed (with an additional $7.50 shipping charge I'll have to mail back).
Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #19
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

SI friend code!

4596 5941 9341

Trainer name is Dale

Anyways Istiqal the hasty starly kicks lots of ass. Once he learnt quick attack, and wing attack he he has one to two shotting everything apart from rock types. :P
Old 04-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #20
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

Skru's friend code!

4210 0470 6827

:o
Old 04-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #21
Wayne
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to Wayne Send a message via MSN to Wayne

Just beat the second gym, trying to get a Munchlax but I think it'll be a while until I find one. Would connect but my internet connection is so effing unstable right now. :/

PC Pokemon
(M) Lv.12 (M) Lv.10 (F) Lv.01 (M) Lv.08 (M) Lv.04 (M) Lv.05
(M) Lv.100 (M) Lv.100 (M) Lv. 100 (F) Lv.100 (M) Lv.100 (M) Lv.100
(F) Lv.100 (M) Lv.100 (M) Lv. 100 (M) Lv.100
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #22
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

Anyone here know what Heart Scales are used for?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:02 PM   #23
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

The same as they were always used for.

And you can't find Munchlax. Through weeks of honey placing I have come to the conclusion that it is all LIES. FILTHY LIES.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #24
Skrusti
Boulder Badge

=o you get AMs for your Pokemon, so long as they're over level 25?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:13 AM   #25
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

I beat the second gym. Istiqal had fun with her grass pokemon by molesting them with his big meaty wings! (wing attack spam ftw!) Anyways I wanna trade or battle someone now. :P

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON