UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 12-17-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

Dunsparce Abbey's Fics

Default Font.
Hello, people of UPN! I am Abbey. Some of you may not know me, and some of you already fear the times I go fishing in the Regamening. I met Kuno through Pesterchum and despite not knowing a lot about Pokemon or forums, I am here now.

Last night, I dreamed about a Pokemon trainer and Pokemon with a tragic story. The dream itself was a lot shorter, but I was so swept away by their story I couldn't help wanting to immortalize them with a humble fic. The Pokemon in the dream doesn't exist, but I looked at pictures and Zangoose was the closest approximation.

Story tropes: Major character death, mistaken identity, lifesteal/lifeshare, terminal illness, bullying, vengeance. Don't like don't read.

Spoiler: show
A kid this young shouldn't be outside this late.

Every Pokemon in the rocky outcropping realized this, but when the kid fell to his knees outside the cave, none of them made a move. Even the Electric and Water types frolicking in the thunderstorm froze up when the kid didn't even move to avoid the rain.

"Legendary, please. I know you're… in there. This is where… the treasure map… said you'd be…" he took a break to catch his breath and continued shouting. There was a frantic determination in this kid's eyes that sparked a realization.

"My starter is…at home … recovering…" he looked down for the first time. "Like I should be," he whispered, voice cracking into a sob.

A Zangoose nudged a Dugtrio and asked it to dig a tunnel into that cave. The Dugtrio got its friends to help, not caring about how the cave looked. As far as they knew, no Legendaries had ever lived there.

As the kid was beginning to cough from the gusts of rain and shiver from the soaking rain, the sound of footsteps barely echoed over the storm's din.

The kid looked up, in awe at the sight of the Pokemon walking towards him. A magnificent red and white creature about the same height as him walked majestically through the swirling rain and stared him down.

Caught up in this moment, the kid ignored manners and started chucking balls like a madman. The Zangoose resisted to put on a show, but eventually was won over by this kid's persistence. Zangoose stayed in the Pokeball and didn't even try to escape.

The kid collapsed to the ground, coughing and wheezing heavily, and accidentally released Zangoose from the Pokeball.

Zangoose picked up the kid and bolted to the cave, asking for some Fire types to help warm this kid. He felt as cold as an Ice type, and that rain couldn't have helped. As the heat from the Charmander and Torkoal began to warm the cave, the thunderclaps continued to punctuate the dances of various Raichu and Jolteon.

The kid's parents showed up an hour later in the pouring rain, holding a soaked raincoat and umbrella. When they saw the soaked pieces of the treasure map outside, they rushed inside desperately to find their son cradled by a Zangoose with a dozing Charmander and Torkoal huddled nearby to keep him warm. A Dugtrio dozed nearby.

As they drew near, the Fire types startled and the Zangoose held up their son, staggered under his weight, and handed him over.

Without a moment's hesitation, Zangoose returned to the Pokeball their son had in a death grip even while asleep.

With a thankful look to the Fire types they carried him and Zangoose back home.

~

After winning some battles, Zangoose was a lot stronger. The kid's hair remained very short, however, and he seemed to get weaker with each passing day. He always told Zangoose at bedtime, "I'm countin on you, Cave Legendary. You've gotta help me with my revenge! You take care of me and I take care of you. We're partners now!" Zangoose would always nod sagely, but it wasn't enough. Every night one of the Psychics would show up and prognosticate this kid's future. And every night, Zangoose would bite each nail worrying over this kid's future.

Today, Zangoose fainted trying to fight a Hitmonchan twice as strong. Even though the kid got reprimanded for doing so, all his money was spent on treats and health tonics for Zangoose. He cradled Zangoose, gently feeding him the healing items one by one until Zangoose was better. But Zangoose nudged his shaking arm, concerned about the toll he put on himself nursing Zangoose back to life.

"First of all," Zangoose attempted to explain through Zangoose noises and charades, "I'm not a Legendary. Secondly, next time I get hurt, bring my ball to the Poke Center. Okay?"

The kid laughed. "I get it partner, you're worried about me. It's okay, I just want to keep you going."

Zangoose gazed up sadly at the kid, wishing grunts and cackles conveyed the same feeling to the kid.

That night, the kid had to go back to the hospital. Zangoose's ball of course was clutched within his hand like it was the last thing on earth.

As Zangoose watched the kid late into the night, with the familiar beeps of machines and murmur of doctors and nurses as rhythm, the long-standing plan finally was pushed into action.

Zangoose nodded to the Clefairy outside the window. It flew away, and in through the window flew a bunch of Dark, Ghost, Fairy, and Psychic types. Zangoose chattered nervously. Don't you dare steal my strength for yourself. You do that and I aim for the jugular. They're all for him. Understand?

Chandeleure screeched its lightbulbs in agreement. Clefairy twinkled. Corviknight cackled. Hoopa smirked and took off its rings but refrained from commenting.

Zangoose climbed up in the hospital bed with the kid, poking his hand with a wet nose. I might not be a Legendary, but together, hopefully we can make up for that.

The beams of magic all hit Zangoose at once and instead of screaming, Zangoose winced.

Anything for that smile.

~

It had been a long road to recovery, and Zangoose's health took a sizeable hit, but the kid survived. For some reason his parents looked at each other with tears barely blinked back when their baby came home. There was still a sadness there but they hugged their kid as tightly as they could and promised to bring him with them to celebrate. And amongst the hustle and bustle of packing, Zangoose lethargically crawled out of the Pokeball to scarf down some food and water, then curl up on the sofa.

One of the parents walked in and gasped with surprise at seeing Zangoose asleep.

"I want my Legendary to go with," the kid announced, and Zangoose cracked open an eye. Struggling to get up, Zangoose whined in the kid's direction and the kid ran over. "It won't be the same without my partner there too. What's wrong with him?"

The parents shared A Look and one of them turned to the kid. "He probably guarded you while you were in the hospital. He's just tired, let him sleep."

"No, let's bring him to the vet! I still have my allowance."

The other parent pinched their nose. "Fine, we'll reschedule the trip. Get him in the ball, and pack him a blanket, too."

The vets were "shocked" to find a sick Legendary and promised they'd do their very best to help him get better. They poked and prodded Zangoose, but couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually they concluded he was just comatose and needed to be healed in a ball whenever he wasn't awake.

The healing was slow, but after a month both were reunited. The trip was stressful and there were a lot of new smells and sights, but with the kid by his side there was nothing for Zangoose to fear. Upon their return, Zangoose intensified his training to make up for lost strength, overextending beyond the point of injury.

The kid had a hard time dragging Zangoose away from a fight, especially a stronger opponent. After Zangoose broke out of the ball to faint to a Charizard, the kid broke down sobbing. "You promised we'd do this together! You're not getting stronger, you're just hurting yourself! I don't want our revenge if you just hurt yourself this way!" And he threw down the ball and stomped off.

Zangoose stared, in shock, at the kid, and grabbed the ball and ran after him. With the most pitiful eyes known to Zangoosekind, the kid let out a shaky sigh and picked up the ball again. "Don't do that again, partner." They went home to eat smoothies and relax. Then Zangoose took it easy, gradually fighting a bit every day, and refusing to fight if he saw the kid was tired. The kid also learned to stop fighting when Zangoose was tired. With this relaxed and improved regimen, two tired souls both became stronger over several months.

Then the day came. Zangoose could tell by the scent of fear in the air that something new was about to happen. The whole house was abustle: one parent was helping the kid with his breakfast while the other made him a lunch. They both came to see him off and the kid hummed while he put Zangoose's ball in his pocket. Then the kid set off for a noisy and loud place full of the sounds and smells of other children. The kid said goodbye to his parents with tears in his eyes, and they all hugged for a very long time. Zangoose left the ball to hug them too, and they whispered, "Thank you, 'Legendary.'"

Zangoose chattered his pointy teeth in response.

After the parents left, the kid was surrounded by some other kids. Taller, stronger. Zangoose growled out of sheer primordial rage, and they laughed while backing away. Their leader cackled and the minions dragged the kid to a corner of the schoolyard oft overlooked by teachers.

"Give me your Zangoose, kid."

"No! He's my Legendary! Get your own!" The kid said, hugging Zangoose to his chest. The way he shook but remained resolute made Zangoose bare his pointy fangs once again.
"He's not a Legendary, he's just a regular Zangoose. Nobody has them because they're ugly." The bully insisted.

"Oh yeah?" The kid snarled, spitting daggers. "I doubt any of your 'pretty' Pokemon could even lay a finger on him."

The bully released his Machamp and smirked. "You sure talk big for someone so stupid. Oh, it must be because you're an only child. There's no siblings to tell you the truth. Zangoose is common. That map was fake. You'll die without ever avenging your defeat."

"Never!!!!!!!" The kid screamed in that high-pitched way that pops eardrums. "My partner is the best. I believe in him, and he believes in me. We're unstoppable."

Zangoose snarfed in agreement and adopted a fighting pose.

The Machamp's attack didn't as much as scratch him. Zangoose ended his entire boxing career with one hit. The bully pulled out all of the rest of his Pokemons and they all attacked Zangoose at once. Barely managing to knock them out one by one, Zangoose didn't keep watch over the kid until it was too late. A cry of pain echoed through the schoolyard as the kid was pushed to the ground. With a sliver of power left but tremendous fighting spirit, Zangoose sunk its teeth into the jugulars of each bully that kicked or punched the kid.

Finally, every enemy person and Pokemon had either run off in horror or fainted. The kid lay on the grass, laughing. "I'm glad… partner. We sure… showed them, huh?"

Zangoose lay on his side, stretching out a clawed toe towards the kid.

"You… gave me your life," the kid said, pushing his arm toward those claws. "We avenged…" He stopped mid-sentence, but Zangoose could see the smile on his face. He nudged the Pokeball towards him. Beaten up and worn down, there were several cracks in it. Yet it held firm. Zangoose pushed his fluffy head into the kid's hand, and got the last feeble head scratch. His cleft tail thwacked the ground, then both lay still.
Abbeys Last Braincell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I read it. But I am probably not in the best state of mine to comment on this particular story.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #3
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I read it. But I am probably not in the best state of mine to comment on this particular story.
Sorry to hear that. It's tough. I hope at the very least you can have a good cry
Old 04-21-2023, 02:05 PM   #4
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

Butterfly Ponds!

Alrighty, here is a Regamening fic based on my favorite decorative structure in the game, the butterfly pond!
Spoiler: show
Butterfly Ponds Part 1!
Kuno and Stlbk had finally made it to HQ, with its bustling vendors and eternally restless citizens. The sun never truly set despite it being 5 o'clock on a Saturday and AK2's birthday. No one remarked upon it because they were too busy trying to not die to enemies along the way there. Bruised and carrying Stlbk's limp body like a sack of potatoes, Kuno insulted the guards on her way in. They welcomed her anyway, because of Talon's orders, but she left them crying at their posts. She then ignored the guards' helpful suggestions and went around committing various breakings and pilferings while Stlbk's dead body hung over her shoulder. She finally arrived at the Healing Hut to find yet another KamenAeons and Torkoal Stu fragment and solemnly placed her friend on the ground in front of Kamen.
"Do you need to be healed?" Kamen asked, his eyes not even focusing on the dead guy in front of him. Kuno could only assume this glassy-eyed composure came with repeated exposure to people close to or embracing death.
"Yes. We have a situation," Kuno announced. "The goddamn player is not healing ME."
To the sound of the Fourth Wall Breaking, Kamen performed some ultimate tier of AOE revival & replenishment spell that simultaneously got Beaky back up and filled his Health and Magic back to full. At the same time, Kuno's health and magic were restored to their former glory. . . not. She was far weaker now than she'd ever been, except for like 15 minutes ago. Even once they picked up some mediocre adventuring gear, the duo still felt like something was missing.
Kuno bugged Phoopes at the library for a while until he set down his book and told them to leave, shooing her and Beaky out of the library and slamming the door.
"I guess onwards to the castle next."
"Talon won't know what hit him," Stlbk crowed triumphantly as they climbed the stone steps to the castle gates. "He's not ready for our combined awesomeness." Across the courtyard, the amicable chatter of vendors and customers echoed over the faint shushing of the fountain. After opening the heavy double stone doors, they entered a stone hall with a lush red carpet, and stopped, unsure of where to go. Stlbk confidently pointed them left so they took the left passage to find... the cafeteria. After salivating over the food without getting any and following the hallway, they found another fork in the road. Stlbk chose the south hall that led to the medical ward/armory.
Kuno wondered briefly why Talon even needed a medbay if Kamen could instantly heal or cure almost every disease. Two seconds later, she figured HQ wanted to look fancy while soldiers recovered to encourage them to fight without fearing injury or death. After all, OSHA rules still applied even in this universe. Which meant maybe Kamen offered a fragment of himself for Talon's military's specific use so they wouldn't have to compete with the heroes outside.
The soldiers on duty naturally were happy to see the heroes of UPN. They asked Kuno and Stlbk to please wait at the butterfly pond while Talon was notified of their arrival.
"Butterfly pond?" Stlbk raised an eyebrow. "I'm doing a cannonball into the water!"
"Not if I make one first!" Kuno insisted and they both sprinted down the hall to the butterfly pond. When Kuno got through the door she slowed down, momentarily blinded by the bright evening sun.
Pink, purple, and blue butterflies scattered as Stlbk dashed by, tossing aside his weapon and adventuring gear to jump into the pond. Sparkling water droplets flew into the air before drenching the flowers and cattails around the pond. The butterflies, startled, had begun fluttering around Kuno in a spiral of light and shadow. They scattered as a wave showed up to drench her blue hair, darkening it and causing it to drip over her pointy ears. Her eyes narrowed.
"Oh that is it! You might have gotten there first but I can make the bigger splash!" Kuno spun on her heel and marched over to the green garden hose coiled inconspicuously in the corner. After spinning the nozzle to jet blast setting, she dramatically pulled the trigger.
Stlbk was soaked too (and nearly dead again) by the time the guards showed up. Their eyes widened as they saw the mighty heroes of UPN splashing each other and bickering. The guard closest to Kuno even blushed and looked away from her.
"Hey Kuno, I think they like your-" Stlbk made a crude gesture implying boobs, cuing an eye roll from Kuno.
"How many times do I have to teach you this lesson? Despite my appearance, I really am a guy here!" Kuno flicked a singular droplet of water at Stlbk and sighed derisively as he toppled over. "Stand back," she told the guards, who quickly obeyed, and used her power to revive Stlbk.
He opened his eyes and despite his low health, wheezed out a vow of vengeance.
"If you were that low, you should've told me," Kuno scolded him, her hand itching to chop him on the head. "Where's my 'thank you'?"
"Where's Kamen's 'thank you'?" Beaky asked.
"Hmph, the player can thank Kamen for us." Kuno snorted as the fourth wall broke yet again. "And that plass pane factory only we can hear has got to stop dropping individual sheets of glass!"
"Well, would talking to Talon improve your collective hallucinations?" the guards asked.
"We've got asses to kick and names to take!" Stlbk said, collecting up his spear and shoes. His clothes had been steaming ever since he left the pond. They dried quickly near his skin. ”Speaking of which, my name is now Earth Sprite."
"He means bring us to Talon," Kuno told the guard. "Oh come on, Beaky, you also killed some Spoiled Soil."
"But… the Earth Sprite was funnier! And the Death Hornets always killed me," Stlbk grumbled, but followed the guard anyway.
"Someday you'll get strong enough that you can kill them both before they kill you."
"Huh… I wonder how strong I'd have to be."
"Perhaps the player can access some arcane pool of knowledge to acquire that kind of information. Some kind of… information storage on a webbed site."
"Hah! That's ridiculous! No one does that," Stlbk answered confidently, unaware that he was wrong.

The new wiki is live, and you can check out Stlbk's profile there! I cannot add links yet, unfortunately. I swear I'm not a spam bot
Old 04-23-2023, 01:18 AM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Around what chapter is this set?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:05 PM   #6
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

This is Chapter 1 with Stlbk and Kuno, before anyone else joins the party. Apologies if Stlbk is OOC, I have never met the man before

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction