UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork

Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #26
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
Talon, have you ever considered lying down for a bit and not getting quite as exercised about pointless things on the internet?
Talon: Says the man with no sig!

*shot*

Okay, enough dicking around. Tbh, I prefer small sigs myself. I just can't help it if I find a cute pic on tumblr I want to use and it happens to be longer height-wise. =<

Consider yourselves lucky I didn't switch to this before. ^^;
lilboocorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo Hime-chan View Post
Also Talon didnt reply to my comments. >O
Your comment didn't invite a reply! ^^; I mean, look!
Quote:
I'm not home and wont be till tomorrow. Im on my phone. I cant tell how large Yukis sig is or give any numbers. All I can say is Rangeets sig is fucking huge sometimes. I think my sig, with spoiler box opened, is too large. That's why I put it there.
See? ^^; What was I supposed to reply to there? "Oh? You're on your phone? Coo'."

I have no idea how large Rangeet's sigs can get, but I haven't noticed anything obscenely large when he posts in Debate or Misc or whatever.

This isn't a witch hunt, btw. Quite a few people have had signatures as big as my screen in the past two weeks, though most were told off (by me or by others) and then, poor things, opted to put their contents inside of fugly spoiler boxes rather than (imo aesthtetically the lesser of two evils) making the tough decision of what to axe, axing it, and leaving only the best bit behind.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

A) Why are we being dicks in the UPN subform?
B) Why are we being dicks to Talon in his own thread? Not like he's complaining in someone elses thrrad. Also Rangeets huge sig has been annoying me.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #29
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Fruit Loops, obviously. Passionately.

All the melodrama aside, I don't care much so long as people aren't just outrageous with it. Unless it's about irony; then, it's hilarious. I don't much like the rigid guideline thing, though. Let's not turn this into "srs business" like some seem to want nothing more than to do.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #30
Lady Kuno

Talon you could have figured out how big my sig is with spoiler open and said the size. Thats kinda what I asked for. Thatll be my too big size till I get home.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've had signatures disabled since 2008, if I wanted to see them I click the user's profile.

So, the signature debate really hasn't been a problem for me.

Avatars...I'm not a fan of huge avatars, but I have yet to see one that distorted a thread's dimensions to the point of distraction. This Sumika avatar is the first one I've ever used that exceeded 150x100 (I think?), I used to have a standard for small, symmetrical avatars or ones that worked out like wide-screen. I think the largest I ever used prior to this was Naraku, who was 110 x 150...so I can say I am comfortable with 200 x 200.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #32
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
B) Why are we being dicks to Talon in his own thread? Not like he's complaining in someone elses thrrad. Also Rangeets huge sig has been annoying me.
Since you asked: Hon, Morg, and I had already decided on Skype that if Talon complained about the size of my new sig, I would increase it as a joke. We all knew he would. Even though it wasn't clearly directed at me, the timing was too coincidental, and I couldn't think why else he would make the thread today when everyone else's changes haven't been as extreme.

FYI, Talon, I had already asked some folks if they thought it was too big to begin with, and had prepared a smaller version just in case. (But apparently even that was too much pink for people to handle. ;O)

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 12-01-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
A) Why are we being dicks in the UPN subform?
Okay then ...

In response to A: Speaking up and saying "I don't care for that behavior " is always going to be rain on someone's parade and thus construable as the speaker-upper being a "dick." But I don't think I was dickish at all and to be honest a few people have felt able to speak up given this thread and the fact that all the heat is on me and so you have to accept that this isn't just "Talon vs. the mob" but is at the very least "Half 1 vs. Half 2." So I think the two halves should come together and sort it out. Like I said in the very first sentence of the thread, "Not everybody is on the same page as far as signature and avatar etiquette goes." That wasn't an attack on anybody: that was me literally saying, "We don't all appear to be on the same page and I should like for us to get onto the same page so as to minimize friction in the community." I never said anything about what that page should be, whether that page was my page or your page or whoever else's page. I'm totally willing to give a 1000-vertical-pixel signature a trial run if you are. I have plenty of pictures I can plug that space with, believe you me. The question is, do you lot want to see them? Do you enjoy having to scroll past so much signature filler just to find the few morsels of post body text in between? I personally don't, and I think people'd find that they wouldn't either if UPN were to entertain this experiment. But I'm all for entertaining the experiment. And if the experiment actually were to prove that the community fuckin' loves having huge sigs? Then what's the loss!?!?!? I want us to find our happy equilibrium, and I'm just feeling that we're not there right now because we have one group of people upset with bloated sigs and another group of people who keeps on pushing the boundaries of how big a sig can be.

In response to B part 1: what the fuck else is new? -_-;

In response to B part 2: This I actually did respond to just now. ^^; Like I said, I've not noticed Rangeet's sig being huge. Is it? *looks for Rangeet's sig* OH WOW. XFD So, my brain was totally blocking that out. hahahahahahahahahahahaha Not even joking. Anyway, yeah, his sig is kinda obnoxiously large. ^^; But interestingly enough, it's a little under (just under) 500 pixels in height. Which brings us to ...

Quote:
Talon you could have figured out how big my sig is with spoiler open and said the size. Thats kinda what I asked for. Thatll be my too big size till I get home.
Your sig is almost exactly 500 pixels tall when I expand the spoiler box. (Which means that if you didn't have that stuff inside the spoiler box, it'd probably be smaller since the spoiler box window itself adds 15-20 pixels' worth of padding.)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #34
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I guess in order to balance out my useless posts in the thread, I'd say that LBC's sig is a good max size. Sigs tend to look better when they use up a lot more space though (by which I mean if LBC's image was wider, it would seem "smaller" if that makes any sense).
Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #35
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I guess in order to balance out my useless posts in the thread, I'd say that LBC's sig is a good max size. Sigs tend to look better when they use up a lot more space though (by which I mean if LBC's image was wider, it would seem "smaller" if that makes any sense).
Are you saying I should add some white space to the sides then? *shot*

No, really. I can do that if it makes folks feel better. =3=
Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #36
Lady Kuno

Talon that dick post wasnt directed towards you.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #37
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

For the record, I'm sorry if I offended you, Talon. As well as the UPN subforum for Kuno. =/

As for serious discussion, I guess I'd agree 500 pixels should be the max Sig height (maybe 400 since Kuno seems to consider 500 too big). 200 for Avatars is fine too.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #38
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Who needs you and your forum with modestly sized avatars and sigs. I'm gonna make my own forum with blackjack! And hookers!

You know what! Forget the forum!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #39
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpinkcorsola View Post
For the record, I'm sorry if I offended you, Talon. As well as the UPN subforum for Kuno. =/

As for serious discussion, I guess I'd agree 500 pixels should be the max Sig height (maybe 400 since Kuno seems to consider 500 too big). 200 for Avatars is fine too.
I wasn't offended. I could tell that you were (lightly) offended and you then teased back by bloating your sig even larger, from a 700 pixel picture to a 1000 pixel picture. For what it's worth though, I haven't been on any IM clients at all today nor have I PMed Kuno or anybody else about this. Everything I've said, I've said here. Besides: what is so wrong with wanting to share lovely art with people? That's all you ever wanted to do and I understood that from before this thread even existed. But I just don't think you went about it in the right way. And then I said to myself, "Times change. What if you've been left in the dust, old timer, and the community today is all gung ho about 700-pixel-plus sigs?" So I decided to put it to a question, directed towards Kuno but posted publicly precisely because I welcomed community input to inform me and to guide Kuno.

You may have forgotten this one already, but when I wanted to share this one particularly large picture in my signature once, and when shrinking it down to a reasonable level made it look unacceptably bad, I took the effort of manually converting it into 60+ strips and making an animated gif out of them.

Now, imagine if I had just dumped this straight into my signature instead, unshrunken and unedited:

Spoiler: show

Would've been a little large, don't you think? And now imagine if I had had it even at 700 pixels in height but just plumb there in my sig:

Spoiler: show

Yes, I can't even believe it myself, but that smaller version is 640 pixels tall: over sixty pixels shorter than your sig this morning. But can you imagine a picture that big in someone's signature? In their signature? Every single post they make and all of a sudden PICTUREPICTUREPICTURE in your face? Part of the reason I made this picture into such a small animated gif was precisely so that members who were browsing UPN from school or work could very quickly scroll down or scroll up if they came to my sig. It wasn't very tall so there was very little chance of anyone seeing what it was from far away or of the user not being able to hide it in time if someone approached. But imagine if I just posted it like in the second spoiler box. How easily do you think coworkers or students in the computer lab with you would see that? I'd say it'd be pretty hard to miss.

Now, am I saying that you have to do as I do and that if you want to share a large work of art in your sig then you have to convert it into an animated gif? No. But what I am saying is, there are options. There are always options. If the goal was to share a beautiful piece of art, we have a thread for that in the Pokémon forum. If the goal was to have a centerpiece for your sig, you could've shrunk it, cropped it, or if neither of these two measures produced an acceptable image, scrapped it altogether in favor of a different image. How often have I had an image I wanted to use for a sig or avatar only to find out that it looked terrible when I shrunk it to appropriate dimensions! Far too many times to count. But I move on. I don't just say "Fuck it and fuck them , I'm going to put this 700 pixel image in my sig come Hell or high water!" Maybe you didn't mean it like that ^^; ... but that's kind of how it plays out when you have a community with one, two, three, four, however many active members who are saying they don't like sigs to be too big.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #40
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
That image offends my eyes. A bit obscene when it's actually larger and they just pop out.

It's the content that is just... yeah... though, not the size. Of course, there's always the idea of just having it in a spoiler tag...?
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #41
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quick question Talon, what size is your display set at? i.e. 800x600.

A lot of my own preferences changed after changing the display from like 1360x768 to 1680x1050, so I'm curious what your own display is. (Not that I would condone a 700 tall image even if I had an even higher resolution.)
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #42
Talon87
時の彼方へ

1440 x 900.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #43
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
1440 x 900.
This is where my resolution is at, but I seriously have never had a screen stretching disaster as other people seem to have.

Though Rangeet's sig is massive.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #44
phoopes
Double Dragon

An image of scantily-clad women with large breasts and the title resembling "Bacon Master?" I personally don't see a problem with it.

All joking aside, it really doesn't matter to me exact limits on anything, as long as people use common sense and don't go way overboard. For example, Daisy's avatar and Yuki's sig don't bother me at all, but Dave's old signature did. Image was on my old computer so I can't show it now, but it took up my full screen even when zoomed out to 75%. I'm fine with large, as long as it's not MONDO big.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #45
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
I'm fine with large, as long as it's not MONDO big.
So is 500 pixels the agreed upon size? Is this the max size period or just the max size without having to be put in a spoiler tag?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #46
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
So is 500 pixels the agreed upon size? Is this the max size period or just the max size without having to be put in a spoiler tag?
Eh, I guess so. Like I said, Yuki's doesn't bother me and hers is 700 but if people want to make the limit 500 I'm not opposed to that either.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #47
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Luvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Eh, I guess so. Like I said, Yuki's doesn't bother me and hers is 700 but if people want to make the limit 500 I'm not opposed to that either.
Actually, right now it's only 320. ^^; This is 700 version:

Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #48
phoopes
Double Dragon

Oh, never mind. That's what I'd call "MONDO big." Yeah, 500's good for me.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #49
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Just fyi all three pics in my rotator sig should be exactly 450 pixels high(with caption). And it's not wider than 800 pixels. All that's added is the "credits" thing, sooooo. Dunno what the problem seems to be, unless it's with height, in which case, this is 2012, get a non-ridiculous screen
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #50
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Ah, that's why you had it as that little scrolling flash image?

That's pretty badass. I should do something like that.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > UPNetwork