UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #7501
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeney View Post
I hate to judge a book by its cover, because if you stuck Minami-ke onto that and I had never heard of it before, it would look like some generic moe crap, but how are we to know about those hidden gems? The importance of word of mouth.
Funny you should mention Minami-ke! For instead of watching anything that's currently airing, what I've been doing over the past month and a half has been:
  • re-watching Episodes 01-07 of Natsume's Book of Friends S4 with Yuki
  • watching the remainder of S4 with Yuki
  • re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood with Yuki (Yuki's first time) (currently thru Ep15)
  • re-watching Minami-ke on my own, full series marathon (currently thru S1E05)
Join me, comrade! My plan is to re-watch all of:
  • Minami-ke
  • Minami-ke Okawari
  • Minami-ke Okaeri
  • Minami-ke Betsubara
  • Minami-ke Omatase
  • Minami-ke Tadaima
Then I'll watch something I've been meaning to watch for four years and discuss with you but still haven't gotten around to:
  • Minami-ke Natsuyasumi
And by the time all is said and done ... it'll probably be around September or so (maybe sooner), which is the perfect time for a certain micro project I have thought up ...

I actually just took this screencap the other day -- me, taking a screencap, of a show I've seen numerous times over the last ten years! -- because Uchida's reaction face was just too great:

This is from the scene where Makoto eggs Chiaki on to give nicknames to everyone in class -- giving rise to "Mako-chan", "Plain Yogurt", and of course her self-given title of "Hime"/"Princess". Uchida's face is in reaction to the devastation laid in Chiaki's wake.

EDIT: Also -- sooooooooooo many Bible Black faces. Much, much more than I remembered. And all of them glorious.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #7502
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I see you noticed that "new" OAV too, Minami-ke Natsuyasumi. I randomly decided to look up Minami-ke on Anime News Network one day to see if anything new had come out, saw that, but never got around to watching it. I'm going to download and watch that shee ott right now!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #7503
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The awfulness of the past few seasons has given me ample opportunity to work on telecom stuff. It cost me $3,000 (soon to be $4,000) but over 10 years my family will have saved tens of thousands. And I have a greater understanding of how the internet, computers and telephones work.

I've played some Sharnoth. It's distracting me because of the cute girls. I'm convinced that these days, the only anime I can watch cover-to-cover without going into an alternate reality game with the characters is when they're almost all men (Akagi an Kaiji).

If there's cute girls, the story becomes cute girls. Nothing else matters.

Kumo desu ga, nani ka? however fails to disappoint. Since that's about a cute girl spider monster and has focused more on cute spiders eating ugly things instead of cute girls doing cute things, it's been awesome.

Another thing I like about it is it's a commentary on the traditional food scene, which I loath. Boy do I hate food scenes, where lots of description or visuals are dedicated to the food and describing how good it is and how it makes you feel good.

While in Kumo desu ga...

I love it!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #7504
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I know I'm looking forward to A Centaur's Worries and I am interested in the luck and logic spin off.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #7505
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Berserk returned from a 6 month hiatus in like February, which was pushed off to March. After four months,

"Berserk is going on hiatus! Look forward to seeing us this Winter!"

Seriously, fudge you, Miura! I love the idolm@sters as much as anyone, but there is a god dang limit, man!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #7506
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

>berserk going on another hiatus LUL
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #7507
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Berserk returned from a 6 month hiatus in like February, which was pushed off to March. After four months,

"Berserk is going on hiatus! Look forward to seeing us this Winter!"

Seriously, fudge you, Miura! I love the idolm@sters as much as anyone, but there is a god dang limit, man!
Hunter x Hunter says hi.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 AM   #7508
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm kind of interested in A Centaur's Worries as well, but after several other disappointing monster girl shows, my enthusiasm isn't so high. They didn't even have that many doujins! I still might give it a shot though.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:07 AM   #7509
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Centaurs are low-tier monster girls. It's too close to real-life bestiality.

Mermaids and arachnes are far superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Hunter x Hunter says hi.
Togashi is either sick/lazy. When Togashi got off his arse to draw, HxH was little more than sketches. Versus the rembrandts that Miura made. In fact, Miura's recent return to faster manga only happened because he got assistants and was using computers to cut corners, which has shown. It made Berserk look more like Gantz than itself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-24-2017, 04:23 AM   #7510
Crys

nah man lamia and fox girls are where it's at
Old 06-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #7511
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Lamia have always been high-tier for me, but it's a passion I share with others. It seems like everyone else has staked out their favourite monster girl and arachnes don't get any love, so they're my pick.

I wouldn't call fox girls monster girls unless you're thinking the furry variety (with snouts). They're you're typical kemonomimi's, with the catgirl and bunny girl. And among that lot I prefer the bunny girl since they're really close to a girl in a playboy outfit.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #7512
deoxys
Fog Badge

So Kado took a weird turn that is pretty uncharacteristic of what the show has been up until this point, but I'm still enjoying it nonetheless. The premise of the show is different and unique enough from other anime that I'm willing to go with the flow on the direction they decided to take the final act of the story...

Spoiler: show
even though the somewhat cliched and shonen-style ending with a straight up super power final battle flies in the face of what the show has stood for up to this point as a more 'mature' and 'political/moral conundrum' style show. I'm okay with the fact that boring protagonist and best waifu finally made out and (presumably/strongly implied) fucked, but the way they handled all that felt a bit... cliche as well. I also felt bad for the gay guy crushing on the hero. I almost wish he had reciprocated his feelings.

Dropping my score of the show by one point, but that doesn't mean I think it's bad, I just think it's... not what I had expected to happen. It's still entertaining though and I still recommend it. We'll see how the finale goes next week. They sort of foreshadowed what's going to happen... pretty hard.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:37 AM   #7513
Crys

join us in the english release of fgo.

we have saber lily
Old 06-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #7514
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

I discovered an independent short today, Parakeet Colors. It's about five budgies who, when their owners aren't looking, are part of a neighborhood rescue squad. It's really cute, especially if you like birds.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #7515
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I discovered an independent short today, Parakeet Colors. It's about five budgies who, when their owners aren't looking, are part of a neighborhood rescue squad. It's really cute, especially if you like birds.
I was expecting a twist ending where Fuuta flies toward his cage but slams into the sliding glass door.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #7516
Mimiko
Pokemon Trainer

Hey guys! I hope you don't mind me posting here. I'm pretty new to watching anime myself to be honest, I just got done watching Madoka and I'm starting to get into Chobits! I was wondering what other series you guys would recommend to a newer viewer like me? I don't have a lot of time between work and night classes, so nothing too too long, and I don't much care for violence or fighting. Thank you for your help!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #7517
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Elfen Lied! Golden Boy! Love Hina! Giant Robo!

Ze classics.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #7518
Talon87
時の彼方へ

She doesn't care much for violence and you go and recommend Elfen Lied ...

I have gotten rusty at recommending anime to newcomers whose tastes I know nothing about. I want to stick to safe recommendations like Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist, but then I also want to be a bit more daring when I see someone mention Chobits in this day and age ... Warms my heart, that does! :')

These shows are all pretty different, but you could try out any of the following (in addition to the two safe recommendations above):I think Death Billiards (along with Death Parade) is the only 9/10 recommendation on this list, and none of them are a 10/10. But the thing is, 1) taste is relative and 2) I'm having to keep in mind how new you are to watching anime. A lot of the shows I consider 10/10, either a) you can't really fully appreciate as a newcomer imo or else b) you can but then it'll set the bar too damn high and you'll be too severe on what comes after. :')
Old 06-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #7519
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

See, I interpreted that line as "violence doesn't bother me", not "I don't want to see violence". And if we're throwing out shows from the early aughts, I can't ignore EL. Granted, it's on my a mind a bit more due to the ending of Brynhildr and the start of Parallel Paradise, but along with Rozen Maiden, .hack, Shuffle!, Mai-Hime, SR and FMA those would be the shows I'd reach for. Your list by contrast leans more toward recency, which has fewer standout staples than in the decade prior.

I mean it's been almost two years since we discussed Erased, hasn't it? That was Winter 2016? My, how time flies. You know lately I was nostalgic about the murder of Harambe controversy (which happened over a year ago, May 2016!).

Feels like yesterday.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #7520
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - This show is universally liked here. It's one wild ride and I guarantee that you've never seen anything like it.

Steins;Gate - Time travel-themed show. There's more mixed feelings on this, but it's generally critically acclaimed. In fact it was ranked the #1 anime of all time on Anime News Network by popular vote. Would watch Haruhi over it any day though.

Mahjong Legend Akagi - Because you know you want to watch a manly show about long nosed Yakuza goons playing a nigh-incomprehensible Chinese tile game for money and blood.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 06-29-2017, 01:17 AM   #7521
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Seconding Haruhi.

Other recommendations:

Ouran High School Host Club
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Ano Hana
Kanon
Clannad

Full Moon and Clannad are both pretty long, but have great emotional payoffs.

*bites tongue on MCA and Natsume*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:13 AM   #7522
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeney View Post
Steins;Gate - Time travel-themed show. There's more mixed feelings on this, but it's generally critically acclaimed. In fact it was ranked the #1 anime of all time on Anime News Network by popular vote. Would watch Haruhi over it any day though.
I was going to write about how disgusting and repulsed I felt about that, but then again it IS Anime News Network. MAL ranks it at more restrained #4, but compromises itself by having Gintama ranked six times in the Top 15, with last series series taking the #3 overall spot.

Somehow, Kimi no Na Wa has the #1 spot despite most EPL's not having seen it. Yikes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #7523
McSweeney
Soul Badge

How could I have forgotten Princess Tutu? Forget Steins;Gate, this is where it's at right here. And the dub is good too.

I assume Dopple was trolling when he recommended Golden Boy even though it's incredible, I doubt you'd like it. But watching the dub for that is crucial!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #7524
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

None of those recommendations were trolls, had I gone that route I would have been more comically flippant about it, picking something obnoxious like Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry or something mad.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #7525
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'd suggest:

Second-ing Kanon (2006 series)
Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow)
Third-ing Haruhi
Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo Masaru-san

I would also like to suggest Ojamajo Doremi and Heartcatch Precure, but they're pretty long. Doremi Naisho is amazing and only 14 episodes, but you wouldn't know the characters just starting with that.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime