UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 06-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Pokemon for Switch Coming 2018

GamesBeat recently had an interview with Nintendo of America communications director Charlie Scibetta. In the interview, Mr. Scibetta outlines 2018 as being centered around Metroid Prime 4, but also low-key confirmed the new Pokemon game for Switch that is currently in development will be released in 2018 as well.

Quote:
GamesBeat: For the rest of the year, what’s the big message? Obviously Mario, but is there anything else?

Charlie Scibetta: Games. If you want to be able to play games and not have a dry spell between any of the big launches, we think Nintendo Switch is a good place to be. We have a nice drumbeat of first and third party. You’ll never have to wait long.

Just as you get through a game and you’re starting to put your head up, put the periscope out to see what else is out there, hopefully we’ll have something right there for you. We’ve announced a nice lineup through this year, and next year we have some big games coming with Metroid 4. 2018 will be around Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, new Pokemon game has been announced.We feel good about the lineup for this year and beyond.

So what do you think? Sinnoh remakes for Switch? Gen 8? Regardless, we probably won't get our hands on them until Q4 2018, as is recent tradition with new Pokemon games.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The Switch: The demand, both inside and outside the hardcore Pokémon fandom, is most definitely present for a main series game on the Switch. In that sense, it makes sense to release a title no later than the last quarter of 2018 considering the Switch will already be 1ž years old by then. Whether outside fandoms recognize it or not, Pokémon is Nintendo's biggest franchise and has been now for quite some time. It would be foolish of Nintendo to not prioritize a main series release within the first few years of the console's lifetime, even more so than it would be to go two years without a Zelda or a Mario title.

Team Preparations: This is a fandom-only concern, and even then only one which concerns the narrow band of players that are VGC players, but ... if they really are going to make Gen 7 only a two-year generation, then they need to make it so that in Gen 8 it's a lot easier for honest, non-cheating players to generate the partners they'll need for world-class combat. Half the reason I'm not active in VGC right now is because, with respect to my valued free time, it is prohibitively difficult to prepare a perfect competitive team. I spent a good 600+ hours breeding, EV training, and otherwise raising 92 different competitive Pokémon in Gen 6 ... and all 92 of them now have to be re-bred for use in Gen 7 VGC. That's just dumb. Either keep the process difficult but do away with the "born in this gen only! ;D" limiter ... or else keep the limiter in place but make the procurement process so much easier (i.e. faster).

The analogy I like to use is this:
A master Go player's house catches on fire; and with it, he loses his Go table and all his stones. The Go master goes to a shop, purchases a new table and stones, and takes them to his new abode. He places the table on the floor, and within seconds he is playing a game of Go with his pupil. The level of play is high, world-class even. Master and disciple, they are playing a great game using the newly-bought stones and Go board.

A master Pokémon player's house catches on fire; and with it, he loses his 3DS and all his Pokémon. The Pokémon master goes to a shop, purchases a new 3DS and a new copy of Pokémon Sun, and proceeds to spend the next 25-40 hours playing through the story mode of Pokémon Sun again. After he has done this ... he has no world-class competitive Pokémon to show for it. He now has two options before him: he can either start the breeding and EV training process anew, taking him some several hundred hours just to get even 12 Pokémon ready; or he can cheat, making use of PokéGen and similar technologies unapproved for use by TPCi in official Pokémon tournaments.
Put more simply:
If Go were like Pokémon, players interested in picking up Go would first have to carve a table out of wood, carve sea shells and slate into playable stones, and then sit down to play the game itself.
Because of this fundamental difference between how Pokémon games work and how board, tabletop, or parlor games like Go, chess, poker, and mahjong work -- "in Go, the tools do not make the player; yet in Pokémon, they do" -- there has to be some sort of reconciliation between what we're allowed to import for use each generation and how much time we're expected to put into preparing things. Otherwise people are going to just give up playing competitive Pokémon -- everyone that is except for the cheaters who just PokéGen themselves back everything they've lost.

Gen 8?: As you've noted, we don't even know if it will be Gen 8 or not. In fact, two of my favorite considerations are:
  • the MMO everyone outside of Game Freak themselves has been dreaming of for over 15 years
  • a 4-in-1 remaster of RBY, GSC, RSE, and DPPt all on the Switch
The MMO's unlikely so long as Game Freak has any say in the matter. And as for the 4-in-1, going against that are considerations such as expense, time, and the recency of ORAS's release. But we really don't know what to expect yet. One thing's for certain: if they do go and release Gen 8, it will make Generation 7 -- which seems to be one of the most popular generations to date -- also one of the shortest generations to date. Two years. A paltry two years before we kiss Alola good-bye and move on to the next region. (Then again, Kalos wasn't even given the benefit of more than one year before we were whisked off to a re-do of Hoenn for twice as long ... *sigh*)

If I had to put my money on something today, it'd be a toss up between:
  • Gen 8
  • a Red/Green remake made for the Switch
People who use labels like "genwunner" be damned, Gen 1's easily the most recognized and popular generation globally. And it's been over ten years and two platforms (three if you were to count the Switch) since those games last got an update. A Red/Green remake that lends the games Switch-grade graphics and all of the benefits we've come to know since Gen 3 ended would be very welcome both inside and outside the fandom. Only the fandom really cares about Gen 8. For comparison, consider all the coworkers or classmates you know who purchased Sun and Moon ... versus all the ones who downloaded Pokémon Go. I have one coworker who replays GSC on a Game Boy Color -- an authentic Game Boy Color -- rather than playing any of the newer games on the newer hardware. While a new main series generation like 8 would certainly sell Switches ... a Red/Green re-release with Switch-grade graphics would sell several times more, I'm certain.

Sinnoh? :> : I don't think so. ^^; As much as the babies whose first generation was 4 would like us to have a Gen 4 remake ... and as much as I would enjoy having Champion Cynthia in Switch graphical glory ... I really don't see a DPPt remake being the launch title for Pokémon on the Switch. :\ As I noted above, I think it'd be likelier if they were to include it as part of a 4-in-1, easily marketable since the first four regions are also the only four regions to date (in a main series title) to be modeled after geographical regions of Japan. But having DPPt be all on its own ... if it does happen, it won't before 2019, and it won't be the first main series game on the Switch. That's all I'm saying. DPPt remakes someday on some platform are a safe bet, but them being the first Pokémon games of the Switch and coming out in 2018 ... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :\ ...

I enjoyed Sinnoh though. I have fond memories of a lot of it. I would be happy if we were to receive a DPPt remake, though I do not hunger for one the way that so many do.

Last edited by Talon87; 06-21-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
phoopes
Double Dragon

To piggyback onto what Talon said, I feel like Gen 1 remakes are more likely than Gen 4 remakes because of backwards compatibility. Right now, you can pick up the latest model new 3DS and you will be able to play DPPt on that system. You won't be able to with FRLG, and it's been that way for years. So really just because of accessibility I think it would make more sense to do a Gen 1 remake rather than a Gen 4. Gamefreak has had a Gen 1 nostalgia boner recently so I could see it happening too.

Though of course the best option would be Pokémon Colosseum remastered but I won't hold my breath
Old 06-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Honestly I think if they do a gen 1 remake I wouldn't be surprised if it had serious SM tie-ins.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

I would be super pumped for a Gen I remake if it acts as a sequel to Alola.

Champion Lillie anyone? :p

Also, agreeing with Talon that the launch title for Switch would be either a new game or Kanto revisited. I'm personally hoping for a sequel to Kanto (I know I know GSC and HGSS exists but their versions of Kanto were kinda lackluster) if they go down the second route. The Kanto storyline is a bit lacking compared to newer gens and I'm not really a fan of having almost the same geographical Kanto over the four games. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they went the full nostalgia route.

Then again there's the alternative timeline thingy they introduced so... lol

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
I think it'd be interesting if they changed the formula back a bit. So instead of being Generic Trainer X, we play as Lillie?
Old 06-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I'm pretty sure he's just talking about Pokken Tournament, which, while fun, is not a main series game.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

I'm fairly certain Pokken's been slated for rerelease his year, which is not 2018. Yes, there is a possibility that it isn't a main line game based on the quote, but it most definitely isn't Pokken.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I'm pretty sure he's just talking about Pokken Tournament, which, while fun, is not a main series game.
He's not. Pokken DX is coming out in like, 2-3 months. He is specifically talking about a Pokemon game for Switch to be released in 2018, which lines up with the core series Switch game GameFreak announced was in development at E3.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Maybe this is a cheeky announcement of a delayed release :^)

JK JK. It could be Mystery Dungeon? That would be fun.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
There's very little backwards compatibility issues with Gen I because of the RBY VC releases.

Gen II would be the most likely from that regard, and I'm pretty sure they are also getting VC releases.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #12
Snorby
Snackin'

VC releases for GS are this fall.
Crystal hasnt been announced to my knowledge

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
Mimiko
Pokemon Trainer

I'm really hoping for Gen 4 remakes myself, I really want to see Buneary on the big screen! I still need to get a switch (I'm trying pretty hard to save money!). As long as it isn't Pokken. I don't really care about those types of games to be honest, and that announcement really let me down.

I would also love a Pokemon Crystal announcement! My favorite older Pokemon game.

Also how do you guys change the words underneath your username? I can't find where to change it...
Old 06-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Heather
Naga's Voice

If we get gen 1 re remakes announced before Sinnoh remakes I will fucking riot do you understand me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #15
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Maybe this is a cheeky announcement of a delayed release :^)

JK JK. It could be Mystery Dungeon? That would be fun.
It's a core game shuckle what do you not get

... I'd like new Mystery Dungeon tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I dunno, Gen I reremakes would fit chronologically. It went R/S, then FR/LG, then D/P. We had OR/AS last, so why not anticipate Inferno Red and Forest Green before D/P remakes?

Honestly, though, you know what I'd love to see? A Colosseum remake. Orre deserves way more love than it gets (which in fact is partly why my new Trainer character in FB is from Orre).
Old 08-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Junichi Masuda and Shigero Ohmori discuss Pokémon on the Switch - interview was published less than 32 hours ago as of this post! HOT OFF THE PRESSES!

It's a four-minute video and is good fun to watch.

Takeaways from the interview:
  • Masuda is super aware that the Switch can either be played on the go or played from home, whatever the player's preference
  • Masuda thinks both playstyles are valid and that he'd be happy with the fans playing his games either way
  • Masuda is aware that a lot of people still don't have Switches
  • Masuda is also aware that this Christmas a ton more kids will probably get Switches
  • Masuda explicitly asks everyone to go out and buy a Switch xfd; , which is a pretty good show of faith that he wants the Switch to succeed and is NOT anti-Switch
  • It comes across much clearer in the video interview that both Masuda and Ohmori are positive/laughing about it when they mention the pressure that the fans' excitement for Pokémon on the Switch has placed on them
  • in response to a fan who wrote "I really want a console-scale Pokémon adventure," the developers ON CAMERA say, "We're making it!"
  • in response to another fan who wrote that he wants the game to take place in "a large, open-ish" world, they again say ON CAMERA, "We're making it!" :O
  • in response to a fan who said he wants the next game to take 40+ hours to complete, Masuda mentions that he's not sure if it will take that long ... ^^; (That's okay. )
If you saw the first version of this post ... please disregard everything I wrote! :') I was the victim of someone else's, in my new opinion badly mistaken, interpretation of the interview. Pretty much everything my original source claimed, he got wrong. ^^; So ... apologies to anyone who saw my rant!

Now that I've seen the actual interview with my own two eyes, I'm much more positive about the near future of Pokémon. We have confirmation that the game is going to be "console-scale", whatever that means, and that its world is going to be "large" and "open-ish". It may not necessarily be Breath of the Wild large and open, but it sure does sound like it's going to be the closest thing to that that Pokémon will have ever had.

The biggest relief for me is the fact that Masuda not only appreciates the dual nature of the Switch but that he's a supporter of both playstyles. My previous source had led me to believe that Masuda only thought of the Switch as a home console and that Game Freak was having trouble developing for it because of that. That made it sound like they were stubbornly set in their ways, making excuses, and other bad things. But now I see that the journalist I previously sourced took that quote completely out of context -- it's surrounded on all sides by Masuda making it quite clear he appreciates the home-portable duality of the Switch and that he even wants people to be able to play games he personally develops for the Switch in either fashion. It's clear from the interview he isn't publicly taking sides -- whatever games he directs the development of, they're going to be games that you can play either from home or on the go.

Last edited by Talon87; 08-09-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There are rumors circulating that a Pokémon game, possibly Pokémon Switch, is being developed using the Unreal engine. The rumors are based on a job posting made by Creatures, Inc. on their website:

In the job posting, they note that applicants should have experience with Maya and with either Unity or Unreal Engine 4. And as you can see from the image ...

... a Pikachu created in Unreal Engine 4 is on display.

So while it's clear that a Pokémon product of some sort has a job that needs filling and that that job entails the use of UE4 to generate Pokémon models, what's not clear is what that Pokémon product is exactly. It could be the upcoming Switch title ... but it could also be a side game like Detective Pikachu (which used a high-poly Pikachu), a Pokémon TCG product, or any of a myriad of other products. Who knows?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #19
Heather
Naga's Voice

From what I've seen of Unreal Engine 4, my hype train is officially chugging

Quote:
Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #20
phoopes
Double Dragon

Rumors about the upcoming Switch game.

Apparently some of them come from the same source that leaked Rainbow Rocket this year and the starters' final evolutions in 2016. But they are just rumors!
Old 12-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What proof do we really have that this is from the same person who correctly leaked the Alolan starters' evolutions and Rainbow Rocket? There are two things that seem very off about these rumors, and a third one that's only suspicious after the first two.

1. Commits to predicting a new region, but doesn't commit to predicting one single region
A lot of people have thought that Pokémon Switch might be something that doesn't introduce a new region. A lot of other people have figured that it must provide a new region. Well, this "leaker" throws in his lot with the safer bet -- new games, new gen, new region -- but then fails to commit to pegging down a single nation. "It could be Spain or it could be Italy." ....... What the fuck? You would think you would know which of the two it is. How is it that you can rule out every other nation on the planet with the exception of these two ... and yet you can't narrow it down further from there? Seems fishy.

2. Predicts a radical battle change that only a Go-exclusive lover would love
I have no problem with Pokémon Go co-existing alongside the main series games. But it seems ... highly dubious that the main series games would do away with twenty years' worth of 4-attack Paper-Rock-Scissors in favor of a hilariously slimmed down "ATTACK", "DODGE", "BLOCK" system. That system would not be so hilarious were we to consider a shift from JRPG to fighter ... but the thing is, that experiment's failed. Sadly. They tried Pokken Tournament, and few players bit. Certainly nowhere near the number of people who hopped on board for the latest Hawaiian outing. Now say it's not a fighter and say it's a Go-like game ... Then you're directly competing with Go, which is pointless. Finally, the biggest nail in the coffin for this rumor is just how much money, PR, and general support TPCi is pouring into VGC in recent years. The prize support has grown exponentially over the last few years, and all signs point to TPCi trying to get gamers internationally to afford Pokémon the same degree of e-sports respect that heavyweights like League of Legends and Star Craft command. It would be absolutely bonkers of them to be doing this, only for Game Freak to pull the rug out from under them by castrating the games' tactical depth.

3. Given the above red flags, we have to be more skeptical of the Italy claim
Italy is a fan favorite because what kid doesn't learn about the Romans in school? Most Westerners can name a number of Italian cities off the tops of their heads. Most Westerners are familiar with the Colosseum, with the Senate, with Hannibal Barca and with Julius Caesar. Most Westerners identify Italy culturally as the land of pasta, pizza, Catholicism, Renaissance art, aqueducts, opera, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis. There's no shortage of things for Western fans to point to in Italy ...

... And that's sort of the problem. Italy doesn't make obvious sense from an XY (Kalosian) or an SMUSUM (Alolan) vantage point. It doesn't make obvious sense from a China-minded Japanese vantage point either. It's not to say that Italy is inherently a bad choice (which is why I left it off the list until the other two points forced me to), it's just that ... Italy is an inherently obvious choice when any Westerner is involved. And that's the problem. It's too obvious, and thus should (alongside other red flags, like the two aforementioned) raise concerns that we're being strung along by a rumor-milling punk rather than being spoonfed legitimate leaks from an inside source. Nobody was predicting Hawaii would be the next place we'd visit after France. Everyone was listing off European, South American, and SouthEast Asian countries because of either XY's plot (Europe) or else the tiki doll (South America, SE Asia). So while I don't want to say "Italy = automatically false" because that's obviously not true and rules out the possibility of us ever actually visiting Italy, I do want to say that had the rumorer claimed we would be visiting some country that rarely tops Westerners' lists, I would be given more pause before casting doubt on their claims. But it's precisely because they've made two curious mistakes (first narrowing it down to two countries but then no further, and second claiming that we're going to toss out the old battle system in favor of a toddler button-presser with zero e-sports potential) that this third problem of them specifically selecting Italy makes me think, "Ehhhhhhhh ... you're full of shit. "
Old 12-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
There's been several anime/manga/LN that have focused on Spain recently, if it's worth anything. For example, Overlord's current story arc is based on a Spain-like country.

Gamefreaks' actions don't have to make any sense. The skipping (probably scrapping) of Pokemon Z and then inclusion of the Z material in Alola suggests to me the Switch threw a wrench in all of Gamefreaks' plans. Perhaps they, unlike us, were fooled into thinking it wouldn't be the next-gen handheld?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:18 AM   #23
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

https://mobile.twitter.com/raqueruu/...82738029826050

Unless someone faked the Nintendo magazine issue, gen 8 is confirmed for the switch game.

Neato.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #24
phoopes
Double Dragon

Well. Time to buy a Switch.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #25
Heather
Naga's Voice

Reading the Spanish as best I can muster, Gamefreak are "rethinking the saga" to surprise North Americans, and it might not manage a 2018 release. I think you can wait a bit, phoopes.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News