UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > Secret Bases

Old 03-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #76
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

"Wow!" Jake exclaimed. "You've met N, Keith? I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised. And you had a battle with him? That's extraordinary. If I were in the presence of a legendary Pokémon, I'd have been worried that Pokémon thieves would pop up at any moment and try to capture the legendary."

Reshiram! added Lucario. Yes, that was it. That must've been that white dragon.

"All right, then! Follow me to the exit." Jake started walking to the elevator and waved everyone along. Once everyone got in again, they were teleported back to the ground floor.

The doors of the elevator opened, and everyone got out. Buizel led the way, pushing open the exit door of the Pokémon Diorama Museum, and the group shuffled out into the daylight.

"We're close," said Jake. "See the big cylindrical white building in front with a blue dome? That's the Laba Dome, and it's the main building here. It has a laboratory, entertainment, and housing. It's right in front of the entrance."

It's so big I haven't even seen it all, remarked Lucario.

After some more walking, Buizel stopped at the entrance, just before they would walk onto the dock. Buizel, Lucario, and Jake stepped aside to let the visitors through.

Jake peered at the boat that Keith and Willa had used to get here. "Banette's Revenge," he read. "Interesting name."

Here's the exit! We're so glad you could come visit us today. I hope you had a good time, and we wish you a safe trip home! Lucario announced, making Jake and Buizel laugh.

"Haha, that's a really good impression of a tour guide!" chuckled Jake. "Everyone, thank you for coming! You're always welcome to visit in the future!" he added.

"Buizel, Buizel!" Jake's Sea Weasel Pokémon gave a happy cry.

"You guys are welcome to leave now," Jake offered.
Zorchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:23 AM   #77
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

"Yeah, that's a reasonable concern," Keith nodded. "But I've had more than a few run-ins with Pokémon thieves in the past- I'm pretty well-equipped to take them on, I'd like to think."

Soon, they arrived at the Banette's Revenge, with Jake commenting on the name. "I think so, too," Willa nodded as Jake said it was an interesting name.

"Yeah- I've learned more than a little about Banette over the years," Keith stated. "One thing that's for certain is that when they're out for revenge, they're unstoppable. And when my Pokémon and I built this boat, I wanted to give her a name that would imply that she was unstoppable. And I'd say thus far it's worked out pretty well- she's endured rough storms, pirate attacks, and even nearly getting swallowed by a Wailord." He nodded. "We had a good time," he confirmed.

"Indeed," agreed Willa.

"Yeah, me too," nodded Phantump.

"Mm-hmm," Meowth chimed in.

"I think we'd love to come back sometime," Keith stated.

"And if ever you're in the area of Sludge Wave Coast, you would be welcome to visit us," Willa added. Keith nodded his agreement to this. And once all the goodbyes had been said that they could think to say, the couple headed towards the boat.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #78
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Jake and his Pokémon waved as Keith and Willa went into their boat. "Bye, everyone!" Jake called. "Come back anytime!"

"Buizel!" Jake's trusty Water-type called.

The group watched as the boat pulled away from shore. It had been an exciting day thus far, but now he had an air tour to look forward to—in five minutes!?

"Holy smokes!" Jake sputtered, checking his Pokédex abruptly and then putting it away just as quickly. "I gotta go!" He waved one more time before taking off, sprinting back towards the Pokémon Diorama Museum. He had to get to the roof to report for duty! Surprised by Jake's sudden action, Buizel and Lucario followed, running as fast as they could to catch up with their Trainer.

(This marks the end of this storyline; you can do one more post if you want.)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #79
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Before very long, the Banette's Revenge was sailing away, Keith at the helm, Willa by his side. "That was pretty cool," Keith remarked.

"Indeed," Willa agreed. "Jake seems like a good person."

"Yeah, for sure," Keith nodded. "Also, Magikarp finally evolved, that's gotta be awesome," he added with a smile.

"Oh, absolutely," Willa smiled back, looking at the Ultra Ball in her hand. She then turned to face the stern, and tossed the ball into the air, allowing Gyarados to emerge. The Atrocious Pokémon's insane increase in size was even more evident than before- he towered over the boat, though with how careful he was being, neither Keith nor Willa were worried.

"What about Phantump, though?" Keith added, lowering his voice, for the Ghost/Grass-type had fallen asleep in Willa's arms once more. "That Frenzy Plant... I never dreamed Phantump had that kind of power, but..."

"...but he must learn to control it," Willa finished, nodding slowly. "He will. I have faith. And he won't be doing this alone, either- I'll help him however I can."

Keith smiled admiringly at Willa. "I'll help too," he promised. "However I possibly can." This got Willa to smile back at Keith, and the two exchanged a kiss before turning their attention back to the sea before them.

(Thanks! I really enjoyed this storyline. )
Old 06-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #80
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

"...and after all of that failed, I... was starting to think Magikarp and I were in over our heads, but Magikarp hadn't lost hope. I put my faith in Magikarp, and that's when he evolved into Gyarados."

"Whoa, cool!" breathed the young girl being told this story by her mother. "Was Gyarados able to beat Lucario?"

"Technically yes, but the battle ended in a draw," the mother replied. This mother and daughter duo were none other than Willa and Maribel Masters. They, along with loving husband and father Keith Masters, were aboard the family's ship, the Banette's Revenge, sailing through the Sea of Fizzytopia- somewhat unusually, with an actual destination in mind. "It was a thrilling battle- Jake has always been a talented Trainer."

"Very talented," Keith nodded to confirm as he stood at the helm, carefully steering the ship. "He won a Colosseum challenge, even. He beat the both of us, and Terri and Eddie as well."

"Wow!" grinned Maribel. "I met him before, I know, when he helped us evolve Phantump into Trevenant, but this is gonna be cool- and you said he also runs some kind of Pokémon museum?"

"More or less," Willa shrugged. "He has displays featuring scale models of Pokémon. Highly accurate, from what we've seen."

"Cool," murmured Maribel. "I can't wait to see!"

"Well, you won't have much longer to wait," Peeves piped up, the Dusknoir floating up to the helm. "The Campus of the Tech and Psychic, off the starboard bow," he reported.

"Excellent," Keith nodded, relinquishing the helm to his Dusknoir. "Peeves, take the helm, hard to starboard, and let's get ready to go ashore."

"Aye aye, captain," Peeves replied sarcastically, though he took the wheel nonetheless while the Masters family started getting ready to dock the ship and go ashore.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #81
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

(OOC: To be clear, the portion of this post that is in the Lime color only denotes the location in the Secret Base where it took place [Other Battlefields]. Using the default color ["white" for me, a dark purple for MM] is fine for now. )

"Alright, Buizel!" Jake Celeste exclaimed, taking a stance at a battlefield in the yard of the Campus of the Tech and Psychic. "We're gonna pretend we're about to use a Water-type Z-Move! We've been practicing! You ready?"

"Bui, Bui, Buizel!" the Sea Weasel Pokémon in front of Jake replied, facing forward as he focused on the poses he was about to perform. Ready as I'll ever be!

"Then let's do this!" the Trainer called determinedly as he crossed his arms in front of him, showing the empty Z-Power Mega Ring on his left wrist. He pictured the Z-Power flooding out of the imaginary Waterium Z on his Z-Power Ring and surrounding him as he waved his arms to his left. "Feel the current of the sea unite us!"

"Buizel!" Buizel mimicked his Trainer's movements, imagining the glow of the Z-Power around him.

"Past the horizon we go..." The Aura Guardian waved his arms to his right, just as he had done on his left, while Buizel did the same. "...to the twilight zone!"

Jake and Buizel finished their movements and held the final Z-Move pose, both of them visualizing the Z-Power completing its transfer. With that, they let their arms down.

"And after that is when you use Hydro Vortex," the Trainer explained.

The Water-type nodded in understanding. "Bui, Buizel."

"Star, Staraptor!"

The Trainer and Sea Weasel Pokémon looked up. "Hey, Staraptor!" Jake greeted the uniquely-colored avian Pokémon flying their way, with a wave of his hand. "What's up?"

"Raptor," Staraptor chirped quickly, flapping his wings in a way that gave off a sense of urgency.

"Visitors?" Jake asked, to which the Normal/Flying-type nodded in response. "Do you recognize them?"

Staraptor nodded again. "Raptor, raptor, Staraptor, star."

At Staraptor's words, Jake grinned. "They're coming in a large brown boat, you say? You saw two of them while I took you battling with Gengar to the Colosseum Challenge? Then they have to be none other than Keith and Willa Masters! Both very skilled Trainers. The young girl, I remember her Trevenant that I helped evolve. That would be Maribel, if my memory is correct. Anyway." He took off running toward the dock, waving Staraptor and Buizel over. "Let's go and greet them!"

A minute or two later, Jake and Buizel arrived at the strip of land that the dock of the Secret Base led into, while Staraptor perched on a nearby fence. The young Aura Guardian, who had just run halfway across the large yard, caught his breath quickly, and waved at the incoming boat as it came to dock.
"Hey there! Long time no see!" the Trainer called.

Last edited by Zorchic; 06-05-2021 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Minor grammatical fixes
Old 06-06-2021, 12:45 AM   #82
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Keith and Willa smiled and chuckled good-naturedly as Jake, as if on cue, arrived to greet them just as Peeves was helping to dock the Banette's Revenge. "Hey, Jake," Keith called back. "Long time no see, indeed," he agreed.

"Always a pleasure," Willa added with a nod.

"Hello, Jake," Maribel piped up.

Before long, the ship was securely docked, and Keith led the way ashore. "Peeves, you coming?" he called to his Dusknoir.

"Nah, Peeves, stay back and guard ship," Meowth interjected.

Keith gave Meowth a look. "Meowth, come on, you don't think the Banette's Revenge is safe here?"

"I wouldn't even be convinced she's safe back home if Gyarados and Dhelmise weren't around da dock all da time," Meowth retorted bluntly. "And at least Dhelmise undastands why."

"Really, Meowth, this is a bit much, don't you think?" Keith said. "Even in the other timeline I never knew you to get this uptight over such things."

"Yeah, well, sometin' must'a been different about dat one," said Meowth. "Just trust me."

Keith gave a sigh. "Peeves, I'm sorry to ask this of you, but-" he began.

"Say no more," Peeves interrupted with a wave of his hand. "Not the first time I've guarded ship, probably won't be the last."

"Appreciate it," Keith smiled. "Hah... So, Jake," he added, turning back to face their host. "Sorry to drop in unannounced, but we were out for a family voyage today, and our little girl had the idea to go and visit you."

"The decision was unanimous- as you said, it's been a while," Willa said with a faint smile.

Maribel stepped forward. "Mom and Dad were telling me about how awesome of a Trainer you are," she grinned. "Uncle Gavin even told me how you won your first Colosseum challenge! Between wanting to battle you and wanting to check out this diorama museum you have, I've been wanting to come here for a while now!"
Old 06-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #83
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Jake listened as the Masters family explained why they had come. “Oh, it's no problem,” he said in regards to Keith apologizing for arriving without a word beforehand. “I don't often get visitors, and it's been a little lonely here recently, what with my parents working all the time. They’re almost never available.” He then addressed Maribel's words. “Heh, thanks, I even still have the Fighting Gems I received at the Colosseum challenge. Oh, the Pokémon Diorama Museum we have here? I'd be happy to show everyone here around the museum if they wish, for lack of a better way to say it! As for a battle, it would be rude of me not to introduce the Pokémon I have here first,” Jake said to Maribel. He first gestured to the Buizel on his left. “This is Buizel, my starter Pokémon and best friend! He's a special one of his species, b'cause unlike most Buizel, mine can manipulate aura, which is basically life force.”

The Sea Weasel Pokémon waved.

The Aura Guardian paused for a moment, before pointing to the colored-similarly-to-a-Swellow Staraptor, who had perched on the fence to his right. “This is Staraptor, my second Pokémon ever, whom I have trained since he was a Starly! If anyone wants, I can explain how he got his unusual coloring,” he added, addressing the family as a whole.

The Predator Pokémon gave a light caw and waved one of his wings at the guests.

“Oh!” Jake suddenly had an idea. As it turned out, he didn't even need to act on it, as Staraptor nodded wordlessly, apparently having thought of the same thing, and flew off into the Secret Base.
“Sorry about that,” Jake apologized to the visitors for Staraptor leaving so quickly. “How Staraptor got his coloring would have been a short story to tell, too, but he always wanted to be present when I explain it. Now, the story of how he evolved from Staravia, that would have been an interesting one.” He scratched his head, realizing he'd gone on a bit of a tangent. “Anyway,” the Trainer went back to the prospect of a battle, “a Pokémon of mine who's always especially ready for a battle is coming. What better way to start things off today than with an exciting Pokémon battle?”
Old 06-07-2021, 02:26 AM   #84
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Keith gave a small nod at Jake's explanation. "Heh, fair enough," he conceded. "Sludge Wave Coast is pretty much just as welcoming of any unexpected guests."

"Always has been, right, Dad?" Maribel smiled. "I couldn't have asked for a nicer town to grow up in."

"Certainly has, sweetie," Keith smiled.

Jake then mentioned he still had the Fighting Gems he'd won in the Colosseum challenge he'd taken part in. Keith and Willa smiled, remembering that day pretty vividly- Jake had shown off his battling skills in a very big way then. "Y'know, to this day, when you get Gav on the subject of awesome battles he's seen in his Colosseum challenges, yours always come up in that conversation," Keith stated.

"Indeed," Willa confirmed with a nod. "I still wish to take you on again, for the record, but not right now, of course," she added with a nod to her daughter.

Maribel smiled as she looked at Jake's Pokémon. As he introduced them, Maribel took her Rotom Phone out of her bag, first pointing it at Buizel.

"Buizel, the Sea Weasel Pokémon. A Water-type," said Rotom. "Buizel inflates its flotation sac and spins its tails like a screw to move across the top of the water. Because clearly it's too good to just swim normally."

Maribel frowned. "Don't be rude, Rotom," she admonished the device, before turning it on Jake's Staraptor.

"Swellow, the Swallow Pokémon. A Normal and Flying-type, and the evol- wait, what? This is a Staraptor?!" demanded Rotom. "I just thought it was a fat Swello- MMPH!" it muffled indignantly as Maribel shoved the egregious electronic back into her bag.

"I'm so sorry about Rotom's rudeness," Maribel said to Jake and his Pokémon (ideally so Staraptor could hear the apology before flying away). "Whatever that first impression might make you think, though, it does serve me well as my Pokédex and smartphone. I'd love to hear how your Staraptor came to look like that," she added. "And how he evolved, for that matter," she added with a grin. "Mom and Dad are always telling me cool stories about when some of their Pokémon evolved. Just a few minutes ago, Mom was telling me how her Magikarp evolved into Gyarados, battling against you, in fact." The subject then turned back to that of a battle, and Jake explained that one of his Pokémon was approaching, one who was always ready to battle. The prospect served to widen Maribel's grin. "I couldn't agree more," she said. "I was hoping we could make it a three-on-three single battle?" she requested.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:50 AM   #85
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Jake nodded as Maribel scanned Buizel with her Rotom Phone, but couldn't help raising an eyebrow at the Rotom's last remark. He said nothing about it, however, until Rotom mistakenly identified Staraptor as a "fat Swellow" at first. After Maribel apologized for Rotom's rudeness, in fact, rather than get upset, Jake suddenly bursted into laughter.

"Ha haaa! Haaa ha ha!" The Trainer laughed until his stomach hurt. "I've seen many reactions to my Staraptor's unusual coloring, but none as, hilarious, as, that! Ha ha, ha!" Once he was done laughing, Jake cleared his throat. "No offense to your Rotom, by the way," he added. "My laughter was not in mockery. I can see that it's just as useful as a regular Pokédex, if not more; I just found its reaction funny. Staraptor's gotten used to this kind of mistaking him for a Swellow, if I'm being honest—or if he's being honest."

The Normal/Flying-type, who hadn't flown off yet at the time, nodded as if to say, No offense taken.

At Maribel expressing interest in how Staraptor got his coloring, and how he evolved, the young Aura Guardian nodded again. "Sure! I'd be happy to explain, if Staraptor comes back soon. After the battle, I'll tell everyone, then," he then added, when the possibility of a three-on-three single battle was brought up. "A single battle with three Pokémon each sounds good to me, Maribel." The Trainer turned around and, with Buizel on his right, gestured for the guests to follow, leading the way into the spacious yard of the Secret Base.

Before the group stood the battle area that was the Palossand Stadium, offering a view and a feeling almost like a battle facility or similar. "Alright everyone," Jake addressed the Masterses. "Are we all okay with the battle taking place in here, the Palossand Stadium? It's got plenty of seats for an audience, and it has a variety of different terrains that can be equipped for the battlefield. There's always the regular battlefields scattered around the rest of the CTP if you want an alternative, by the way."
Old 06-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #86
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

For a moment, Maribel wasn't sure how Jake would react to this... and then he burst into laughter, finding the Rotom Phone's reaction hilarious. Staraptor didn't even seem offended, either. This all elicited a relieved smile from Maribel. "It can be pretty funny sometimes," she admitted. "I just don't want to offend anyone, you know?"

Nont long after, Jake gestured for his guests to follow, and he led them to a location that Maribel's parents were pretty familiar with- Palossand Stadium. "Woooooah!" breathed Maribel. The structure had the same battle facility sort of feel to it as Sludge Wave Colosseum, and Maribel loved it! "Yeah, I'm OK with the battle taking place here, this is cool!" she smiled. "Mom, Dad, you guys are OK with this place, right?"

Keith chuckled. "It's not our place to say, sweetie, it's your battle," he replied. "And even if it was our place to say, we'd still be OK with it."

"I've battled in here before myself," smiled Willa. "I would love to see my daughter do likewise."

Maribel nodded in response, smiling broadly, looking more than a little eager to get the battle going, as though one could expect any different from the daughter of Keith and Willa Masters.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #87
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

(I realized I might not have made it clear in my last post, but to clarify in case it was not clear enough, everyone is now inside the Palossand Stadium. I hope you can work with that, sorry for being a little vague there. Also, sorry if this post is a little fast-paced, I've had it as an unfinished draft for a while.)

When Maribel showed delight and excitement at battling in the Palossand Stadium, Jake gave a thumbs-up as he walked to the opposite end of the battlefield and took his Pokédex out of his right pocket, his Buizel following. "Great, then let's get the battle started!" the Trainer exclaimed. He opened the Pokédex and pressed a button, after which a small compartment opened on one of the side walls of the battlefield and let out a hovering robot referee, which took its place on the side of the battlefield.
With Buizel on his left, looking on in anticipation of the battle that was about to take place, Jake pulled out of his pocket a standard Pokéball, holding it high in the air. He opened his mouth to speak, but had not said a word before a reptilian roar filled the area.

"Chaaarizard!" rang in everyone's ears as a magnificent orange draconic Pokémon with a flaming tail flew over the walls of the stadium with powerful beats of its large wings. Instinctively, Jake and Buizel stepped to the sidelines as the Flame Pokémon glided downward and landed gently on the ground on his Trainer's side. "Char, char!" he greeted his Trainer.

At this, Jake smiled and ran over, patting the Fire and Flying-type Pokémon on the right shoulder. "We're happy to have you here, Charizard!" he said. "Ready for a battle?" He gestured to the other side of the battlefield. "Our opponent this time will be one of our visitors today: Maribel Masters, the girl wearing a cowboy hat over there. Behind her are Willa and Keith Masters, her mom and dad."

"Chaar," Charizard waved amicably at Maribel, Willa, and Keith, before turning back to Jake. "Zard?"

The Aura Guardian chuckled and shook his head softly. "I'd say wait for the moment, but I promise that you'll get your chance to battle—this'll be a three-on-three. You okay with that?"

Charizard nodded in understanding, stepping backward so as to give Jake some space.

Jake turned back to his guests. "This here is my Charizard," he said, gesturing at the Flame Pokémon, "and he's the Pokémon I was speaking of that is always ready for a battle. Only the battle will tell if he gets to participate in this one or not. Anyway, let's begin!" The Trainer tossed forward the Pokéball he was holding. "Seviper, let's go!"

"Sssevipa!" A black, yellow, and purple serpentine Pokémon with red fangs and a blade at the end of its tail emerged from the Pokéball and landed on Jake's side of the battlefield, facing the other side. Seviper wavered in his accordion stance (or at least the snake equivalent of a stance) with excitement, waiting for his Pokémon opponent to appear.

With his first choice for the battle revealed, Jake called to his opponent. "Alright, Maribel, once you've sent out your first battler, let's get this show on the road!"
Old 08-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #88
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

With everyone in unanimous agreement on the battle's venue, they could get right to business. Jake took out a Poké Ball, but before he could throw it, a powerful roar sounded, its source not hesitating to make itself known; a powerful Charizard had flown into the stadium, and looked ready to rumble! "Wooow!" Maribel breathed, waving happily back as the Charizard waved to the guests. Keith and Willa waved as well. "That's a cool Charizard! It's just like Dad's, too- Charlie's always up for a good battle as well, right, Dad?" she added.

"He certainly is," Keith nodded. "Hell, if I had bought Charlie with me, I might be requesting a battle as well, but, another time, I think. Today isn't about me, anyway."

"Indeed," Willa agreed, nodding slowly in agreement.

Charizard, as it turned out, was not about to join in the battle, or at least not right away- Jake requested it stay off to the side instead, inviting it to get in on the battle later if need be. Charizard was content to go with this, and instead, Jake sent out another Pokémon that put a smile on Maribel's face; a Seviper.

"Now this is interesting," Keith nodded. "Seviper aren't to be taken lightly."

"Heh, believe me, I know," grinned Maribel. "I grew up around Marvolo, remember, Dad?"

Keith chuckled. "How could we forget?" he responded. "You took your first steps when you were little so you could walk over to him and tell him to stop bothering your mom's Gogoat."

"It was easily the most adorable thing I've ever seen," Willa added, unable to keep herself from smiling at the memory of her daughter admonishing a suitably surprised Marvolo with what amounted to mostly baby talk back then.

Maribel turned back to the action at this point, sizing up Jake's Seviper. True enough, she knew better than to take it lightly. And what better way to demonstrate this than to go with something large and heavy? And with a type advantage, no less! Her mind made up by this point, she produced a Poké Ball from her bag, enlarged it, and threw it out onto the battlefield. "Come out- Hippowdon!" she declared.

The creature Maribel sent out was large, heavy, and formidable. And more to the point, a Ground-type about to take on a Poison-type. "HIIIIPPOOOOOOOW!!" Hippowdon bellowed eagerly. He kept his eyes on the enemy Seviper- type advantage or no type advantage, Hippowdon wasn't about to let his guard down. Her Trainer wasn't the only one familiar with the species thanks to Marvolo, after all.

"Hippowdon- a good first choice," Keith murmured approvingly.

"Indeed," Willa agreed. "Though type advantage doesn't necessarily determine all battles. and especially against an opponent as skilled Jake, our girl will need to keep her wits about her..."

Maribel made the first move. "All right! Hippowdon, use Scorching Sands!" she ordered.

'Hiiiiipp... PPOOOOOOOW!" Hippowdon sneezed, blasting large quantities of roasting hot sand from his nose, shooting it straight for Seviper! Maribel watched intently, waiting to see how this move would turn out.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #89
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Jake watched as Maribel made her choice of Pokémon, sending out a Hippowdon onto the battlefield. “A Hippowdon,” he commented. “We’re up against a Ground-type.”

After a short conversation among the Masterses, the battle got underway as Maribel commanded a Scorching Sands, after which the Heavyweight Pokémon sneezed the attack out from his nose.

As soon as his opponent made her order known, Jake was quick to respond with an order for his Seviper. “Seviper, use Haze and jump!” he called.

In an instant, the Fang Snake Pokémon spewed out a large, opaque cloud of what appeared to be black fog from his mouth, the Ice-type move quickly engulfing and obscuring the entire battlefield in under a second. Whether the Hippowdon’s Scorching Sands had landed could not be seen, but an impact on the ground could be heard. Although no one could see, the snake had struck the ground with his tail blade and leaped high into the air, avoiding the Scorching Sands, and became surrounded in a yellow aura.

“Now use Toxic!” Jake commanded.

Shortly after Jake gave that command, Maribel’s Hippowdon would see a purple glob of poisonous liquid coming out of the Haze toward him from an upward angle. Seviper had fired the attack from the opening in his tail while in midair.

When the fog cleared, regardless of whether the Toxic had successfully landed or not
(that depends on MM’s reply), everyone would be able to see (and understand?) that Jake had intended to take advantage of Toxic’s property of never missing its mark when used by a Poison-type Pokémon. Everyone would also be able to see that Seviper was floating a ways above the ground, making use of Magnet Rise: a move that he had, in fact, just learned.

“Wow!” Jake would exclaim. “I hadn’t even planned for Magnet Rise. My Seviper using it is new even to me!”

“Bui, Buizel!” Jake’s Buizel would add. What great timing!

“Char, char!” Charizard would agree.

Last edited by Zorchic; 08-12-2021 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Clarifying one point to make it seem less haughty
Old 08-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #90
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

And the battle got underway! Jake ordered Seviper to go for Haze, and then to jump, which had the effect of blanketing the entire battlefield in a black mist. The Scorching Sands didn't hit, but nobody could tell by looking anyway. And then, from its position in midair, Seviper followed up with Toxic. "Use Sandstorm!" Maribel commanded.

"HIIIIIIPPOOOOOOOOOOW!" thundered Hippowdon. Far from making an effort to evade the Toxic, the Ground-type simply reared up on his hind legs, then stomped the battlefield hard with his front feet, throwing up more dust than a Hippopotas with the stomach flu- a sandstorm had begun to rage.

That Toxic had hit could not be in question- it hit, it was always going to hit, and Maribel knew this from the second the order was out of Jake's mouth. Seviper was a Poison-type, after all, and when a Poison-type used Toxic, it never missed. Ever. This was no exaggeration- short of a move like Protect, which Hippowdon did not know, there was no way of blocking this. Not even Dig would have shielded Hippowdon.

"Smart move," Keith murmured. "Poison-types can't miss when using Toxic. She knew better than to waste any effort on dodging it."

Willa nodded slowly, watching the battle intently. "And now she's turning things to her own advantage," she added. "Though I suppose she could have switched in a Poison-type of her own," she added fairly.

"I mean, she could've, but she might not have wanted to switch too soon," said Keith. "Also, it looks like Hippowdon's type advantage just started to mean a lot less," he added. "Look at Seviper."

'What abou- oh. Ohhh," Willa murmured. "It's using-"

"-Magnet Rise," nodded Keith.

Magnet Rise might not have been a usual move for the Seviper species, but Maribel still didn't look too surprised. Mildly annoyed, maybe, considering she had been planning to use Stomping Tantrum as a backup had Seviper avoided the Scorching Sands, but far from surprised. Once again, this came from growing up around her dad's own Seviper- Marvolo also knew Magnet Rise, and had made use of it more than a few times over the years. Besides, how upset could anyone be over this if Jake himself hadn't even figured on this strategy? "Heh, now it's getting interesting," grinned Maribel, adjusting the brim of her Mega Hat (Keith, who so often did the same thing himself, beamed with fatherly pride). "Hippowdon, are you still good to go?" she asked.

"Hiiiippow," rumbled Hippowdon, giving a nod, though not taking his eyes off of Seviper for so much as a second. He could feel the poison, and knew it was only gonna get worse, but that was all the more reason to focus and get this battle moving!

"Great!" grinned Maribel. "Cause we're just getting started! Now, Hippowdon- Rock Slide!"

"HIIIIIIPPOOOOOOW!!!" Hippowdon bellowed. He generated a number of large rocks around himself, then with another great roar, sent them flying towards Seviper, cutting through the whirling Sand with great Force. More force, if it needed to be said at this point, than such an attack would usually be launched with.

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 10-17-2021 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Minor grammatical fix.
Missingno. Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #91
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

While Jake’s Seviper spewed forth Toxic onto Maribel’s Hippowdon, the latter stomped the ground with his front feet, kicking up a Sandstorm. As the weather condition went into effect, three glowing, translucent blue domes appeared, one around either side and one around the robot referee, which the coarse sand particles bounced harmlessly off of. Curious as to where the barriers came from, Buizel turned to his Trainer with a questioning look.

“Look at my gloved hands,” Jake answered as he kept his focus on what was in front of him and held his palms up, forming a right angle with his arms and elbows. “They’re glowing with aura. I erected the barriers to make sure only the battlers are affected by the sandstorm. This’ll work for now, but I should consider getting a built-in force field system to be installed instead—this is energy-draining over time.”

Focusing his mind back on the battle from the momentary distraction, the Trainer analyzed the situation. The Sandstorm damage that Seviper was taking currently matched the bad poison damage that Hippowdon was taking. Of course, that wouldn’t be for long, so Maribel commanded the Ground-type to fire a Sand Force-boosted Rock Slide attack at the Poison-type.

“Knock ‘em away with Poison Tail!” Jake called, raising his voice to make it heard over the swirling sands.

“Viperrr!” Seviper hissed as his tail blade glowed a bright, poisonous purple. The Fang Snake Pokémon swung his tail at the incoming projectiles, deflecting the first few large rocks in various directions with several clangs. However, it wasn’t long before the power behind the Rock Slide caught up to Seviper, as he tired quickly, his motions becoming less swift and the deflected rocks traveling less far. The Pokémon even failed to repel the last rock, which slammed into his serpentine body and knocked him backward through the air. As the Poison-type righted himself and continued to levitate using Magnet Rise, Jake sized up the situation once again.

It was clear that Seviper was having—and would have—trouble matching Hippowdon in the way of raw power; the clash between Rock Slide and Poison Tail had made that evident. (Or maybe it was the fact that Poison-type moves are not very effective on Rock-types. But I digress.) Instead, Jake would have to make use of Seviper’s superior speed and maneuverability.

And wiggle-ability.

Having suddenly thought of an idea, the young Aura Guardian called out to the Fang Snake once again. “Seviper, keep it up! I know you can do it!” he exclaimed. “Do the wave and use Venoshock!”

The airborne Pokémon didn’t miss a beat, immediately quickly sweeping from side to side while spraying a highly reactive poison from his mouth, creating a horizontal wave of Venoshock that would be difficult to dodge, or repel with one attack (or at least, Jake hoped so). If the attack landed, it would be made all the more effective even with Ground’s resistance to Poison, thanks to the Heavyweight Pokémon’s (badly) poisoned status condition acting as a catalyst.

As Jake’s Buizel and Charizard continued to watch the battle while standing behind Jake, the Flame Pokémon piped up. “I’d hate to be caught in the middle of a sandstorm, especially on the receiving end of a Rock attack like how Seviper up there was,” the Fire and Flying-type remarked. “What with, you know, taking continuous damage and being at risk from attacks of a type that hits me better than any other type would.

That pretty much goes without saying,” the Sea Weasel Pokémon chuckled. “You can be sure that Jake won’t take you flying through sandy deserts for no reason, so that’s comforting.

Eh, now that I think about it, a desert isn’t so bad,” Charizard commented, before giving some encouraging words to his Trainer and fellow teammate. “Char, Chaaar!” he cheered in roars. Keep going, guys!
Old 09-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #92
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

To general surprise, the effects of the Sandstorm were not permitted to extend past the battle, with Jake revealing the reason to be none other than his own efforts- he was using aura to keep the Sandstorm contained within the battlefield. "Oh, wow," Keith remarked.

"Yeah..." Willa added.

Keith, immediately sensing the downcast tone of voice his wife had tried to hide, looked over at her. "What is it?" he asked quietly.

"It's nothing," Willa said unconvincingly. In response, Keith took hold of her hand, and this seemed to steel her resolve, and she took a deep breath. "...it is just..." she muttered. "I wonder if maybe this sort of thing could maybe have prevented..."

Keith realized in that moment exactly where Willa was going with this. "...the effects of Gravity from spreading?" he supplied. Willa nodded wordlessly, and Keith pulled her into an embrace. The best that could be said of the incident Willa was talking about is that nobody had died as a result. And even with that knowledge, Willa still had the occasional nightmare. The crashing sounds of helicopters forcefully hitting the ground all around weighed on her.

"It was only supposed to affect the battle..." Willa murmured.

"It really, really was," Keith whispered soothingly. "It was not your fault. Nobody could have seen it coming. Nobody blames you. And if anyone has the gall to try and blame you, they'll have me to answer to," he promised.

Soon enough, the couple broke apart. Willa said no more, but the loving, appreciative smile she gave Keith spoke volumes. Keith smiled back, and hand in hand they turned back to watch the battle continue.

Maribel was grinning- Seviper's attempt at combating Rock Slide with Poison Tail was failing for several reasons. One, simple type matchups. Rock Slide was a Rock move, Poison Tail was a Poison move. Two, Sand Force- with the raging sandstorm in effect, Hippowdon was putting a lot more power behind his Rock, Ground, and Steel moves. And three, Hippowdon was just that freaking strong. He was proving, here and now, that his physically imposing build wasn't just making him look tough, it flat-out meant he was tough.

Jake, however, quickly came to realize where Seviper's strengths in this lay, and decided to capitalize on that, giving the Poison-type the order to wriggle from side to side while spewing Venoshock attacks. Even though the Ground-type Hippowdon resisted this move, the fact that he was poisoned made the move an unpleasant prospect all the same. "Hippow," he rumbled uncertainly.

"Don't worry about that, Hippowdon, I've got a plan!" Maribel called. "Follow along, I think you'll see where I'm going with this," she grinned. "Now, Hippowdon, use Dig!"

"Hiip?!" Hippowdon responded in surprise. However, seconds later, he complied with great gusto. "HIIIPPOOOOOW!" he exclaimed, burrowing under the battlefield.

"Dig?" Willa repeated skeptically.

"It does make sense at least somewhat," Keith admitted, this point being well-proven as the Venoshock attacks missed their mark completely, said mark being underground by that point. "It works as a defensive maneuver, even if it can't hit the opponent."

"It seems so," conceded Willa. "She really should teach Hippowdon Protect or something to that effect someday, honestly," she added.

"Absolutely," Keith nodded.

Maribel, however, was not yet finished. "Now! Use Rock Slide!" she called out to the still-underground Hippowdon. And as the ground vibrated from the rumbling cry Hippowdon was bellowing in response, it began to rumble all the more from something else. Exactly what that something else was became clear as more rocks burst out from under the ground. They didn't come from any one concentrated point, either, but were rather widespread- Hippowdon had been able to pick up on Maribel's intention, especially considering Seviper's greater maneuverability. Rock Slide was honestly a great move to try and counter this side-to-side movement with due to its naturally widespread nature- after all, in a double or triple battle, the move was useful for striking multiple enemies at once. And by having it come up from underground like that, Hippowdon was putting more surprise factor into the move, making it all the harder for Seviper to dodge it.

That was the theory, anyway. What still remained to be seen was whether or not this would actually allow the move to hit Seviper in spite of its attempted evasive maneuvers. Maribel and Hippowdon had practiced launching attacks from underground before, Rock Slide included, and they had practiced battling against Marvolo before, but this exact sort of scenario had never quite come up before. Ah, well- there well and truly was a first time for everything, wasn't there?
Old 09-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #93
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

Seviper’s Venoshock splattered all over the other side of the battlefield, but as his attack came to a close, it was clear that Hippowdon was nowhere to be seen, for the Ground-type had used Dig to evade the move.

“Hm.” Jake watched as Hippowdon burrowed underground. “I wouldn’t have thought Dig was a good idea here, since Seviper is still airborne from Magnet Rise.”

The question of why Maribel had decided to go with Dig anyway was soon answered, as she called for another Rock Slide. The ground immediately began to rumble, and more rocks burst out from it, traveling upward over a wide area. Rock Slide’s spread properties here meant this couldn’t really be dodged.

Or could it? Rocks of any size, especially larger ones, always had holes between them. And no matter how small the holes, the fact remained that such holes did exist.

Whether that mattered, though, was up for interpretation. “Seviper, use Feint!” Jake exclaimed quickly.

“Ssse!” the Magnet Rising Poison-type responded, acknowledging the command. The Rock Slide rocks flew up toward him; just before it looked like the attack would connect, the Fang Snake Pokémon zipped downward through the wall of rocks in the blink of an eye as a clear aura surrounded him, almost as if phazing. But although Seviper had just bypassed the Rock Slide, he wasn’t safe yet, Jake knew. For what goes up must come down.

As Jake watched, the rocks’ upward velocity decreased, coming to a stop in midair, before beginning their rapid downward descent.

“Another Feint, now!” the Aura Guardian called. And this time, Seviper immediately surrounded himself in that clear aura and dashed quickly upward, ending up above the rocks once again.

After all, Hippowdon couldn’t stay underground forever, Jake was thinking. Not only was Dig a move that would end in an attack above ground, but remaining underground would only cause more of the bad poison damage to build up. If Jake’s strategy worked, then when the Ground-type did appear out of the ground, he would be met with his own attack crashing down on him.

What goes up must come down, is it?” Buizel murmured as he watched the battle play out.

Interesting,” Charizard added, his tail flame wavering in, well, interest. “Breaking Protection is what makes Feint such a cool move. And it looks like our Trainer here is using that property, plus Feint’s natural speed, to have Seviper pass through that Rock Slide!

All without needing to target Hippowdon directly, to boot,” the Water-type agreed.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #94
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Maribel and Hippowdon had a pretty good strategy going here, but Jake was no slouch either, a fact Keith and Willa knew good and well, and a fact Maribel had been expecting. He made use of Seviper's Feint move in an unconventional way that certainly caught Maribel's attention. Rather than bypassing a protective technique, it was instead used to bypass a seemingly unavoidably widespread onslaught of rocks. More than that, the rocks were now falling back down, and Hippowdon couldn't remain underground forever, especially with the Toxic putting the whole deal on a timer.

So it was a very good thing that staying underground wasn't part of their plan moving forward, wasn't it?

"That was a good way to use Feint," Maribel grinned. "But we're not beat just yet! Now, Hippowdon!" she called out, as the battlefield rumbled and vibrated with steadily increasing intensity seemingly in response. "Iron Head!!"

"HIIIIIPPOOOOOOW!" Hippowdon roared, springing up out of the ground headfirst, jumping high. Not high enough to actually hit Seviper- that was, after all, kinda how Magnet Rise worked- but high enough to meet the falling rocks, and fast enough to smash into them, headfirst, with great force. And just as type matchups prevailed earlier with Rock Slide vs. Poison Tail, so too did they prevail here, but in this case, it was Rock Slide vs. Iron Head. And this took place pretty much right underneath Seviper, too, so those rocks were now being forcefully butted right back at Seviper. Oh, and did I mention that all three moves ultimately involved in this endeavor- Dig, Rock Slide, and Iron Head- were all boosted by Hippowdon's Sand Force? So, yeah. There was a lot of power behind this entire thing.

Regardless of whether any of those rocks hit their mark, Hippowdon then landed back on the battlefield, which was now peppered with rocks from its previous attack. "HIIIIIPPOWWW!" thundered the Ground-type. The poison from Toxic was taking its toll, but the Heavyweight Pokémon still had plenty of fight left in him.

"Good- and now use Gummi Bomb!" Maribel ordered.

"POWDONNNNN!" Hippowdon responded, now shooting several explosive projectiles of pure Rock-type energy from the holes on its body, aiming them up at Seviper. The beauty of these were that even if Seviper could avoid the projectiles themselves, could it also evade the resultant explosions they would make up there?

Willa watched the battle intently. "Was that Iron Head counterattack part of her plan, or did she make it up as she went along?" she murmured.

"I mean, I'm pretty sure nothing about her plan factored in Magnet Rise in the first place," Keith shrugged. "I'm really proud, honestly," he added with a smile. "Jake is no slouch as a Trainer, so for Maribel to be keeping up like this is very impressive."

"Indeed," Willa nodded slowly, a small smile forming on her own face. "There's no telling how things will go from here- I'm certain that the both of them have only just gotten started."

Last edited by Missingno. Master; 09-18-2021 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Minor grammatical fix.
Missingno. Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #95
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

With how Maribel was keeping up with Jake’s attacks thus far, he expected that she would be able to come up with a counterattack to his Feint stunt. So, as the rocks fell down, the young Aura Guardian warned Seviper to watch out. “Stay alert, Seviper!” Jake advised.

Jake’s expectations did not go unfounded. Maribel had Hippowdon bounce several of the rocks back up toward Seviper using Iron Head, keeping those rocks in the air. And with the Ground-type’s Sand Force at work, the rocks were packing an impressive amount of power behind them.

But the Poison-type was still airborne, after all. “Quick, dodge those rocks!” Jake commanded, to which Seviper was able to comply by swerving deftly in midair around the Iron Headed rocks. The Poison-type continued dodging as the rocks once again fell down.

Then came the Gummi Bomb. With the Sandstorm still raging (and Seviper continuing to take damage from said weather), the Heavyweight Pokémon fired projectiles of Rock-type energy through the holes on its body. The orbs would explode around the time that they hit, too, so they’d still be able to deal damage even if Seviper avoided them.

With that in mind, Jake opened his mouth to issue another command. “Seviper, use—”

Before the Trainer could finish his sentence, the Fang Snake Pokémon sprang into action on his own accord. Seviper generated several orbs around him that looked similar to the ones that Hippowdon was firing, the only difference being the color, and sent them flying with gusto downward toward the opposing Gummi Bombs. The projectiles collided as the Poison-type warily levitated higher, with Seviper’s attack canceling out Hippowdon’s. The orbs bursted in explosions of Rock energy and...was that water? Seems like type effectiveness was at work.

“—Gummi Bomb?” The Aura Guardian finished his own sentence late.

Well, that was unexpected, wasn’t it?” Buizel commented from behind him. “Gummi Bomb against Gummi Bomb!

Charizard gave a small roar in agreement.

“It was, yes,” Jake replied. “I should have known that Seviper would have another new move up his sleeve, after he learned Magnet Rise. And I also should have known that its type would be Water.” He chuckled and called up to his battling Pokémon. “Great job, Seviper! Keep it up and give ‘em another Gummi Bomb!”

“Sseeviper!” With a determined grunt, the Fang Snake made more Water-type explosive projectiles appear around him, and with a whipping motion of his tail, sent them barreling directly downward toward the Heavyweight Pokémon.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #96
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Hippowdon's little maneuver with Iron Head was a smart one, but one irrefutable fact that remained- Seviper was still high up in the air, where Hippowdon simply could not get to, and his options with projectile attacks were... limited. Rock Slide was proving fairly easy to evade, and Gummi Bomb was very clearly countered by the same move from Seviper- and a Water move from it, no less, against Hippowdon's Rock-type Gummi Bomb. Once again... type matchups. Worse still, Hippowdon was now taking even more super effective Gummi Bombs directly! Thankfully, they hadn't knocked him out, but the damage was beginning to stack up. The effects of Toxic were still taking their toll on the Ground-type as well, and the way things were going, Seviper's Magnet Rise wasn't going to wear off fast enough for them to really get anything done.

Maribel thought fast. She kinda had to, in this scenario. Well, OK, one generally does have to think fast in the heat of battle in any case, but with Toxic having put a timer on Hippowdon's moments of consciousness, then it was all the more necessary here. One irrefutable fact that had made itself more and more obvious as this battle went on, was that whatever the type matchups would argue to the contrary, this was just a bad matchup for Hippowdon. If they kept this up, Hippowdon would lose to Seviper. She could simply withdraw Hippowdon, send out something better-suited to this situation, and it certainly wasn't as though she was lacking in Pokémon that would fare well in this situation... but then, she realized, why do that? It was almost certainly something Jake would expect her to do at this point, surely he too knew who the current matchup favored, he might very well be prepared to deal with her switching Pokémon (in fact, Maribel would be very surprised if he wasn't, considering how well he'd been battling thus far). But then, that surely just left Maribel and Hippowdon right back where they were, right?

Well... not necessarily.

Maribel grinned, her plan firmly in mind, as much of a gamble as it was. "Alright, Hippowdon! Roar!" she declared, gesturing up at Seviper.

Hippowdon took a deep breath. "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPP..." he began, before opening his mouth as wide as it would go. "PPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!" he bellowed loudly, allowing visible sound waves to wash over Seviper. While this wouldn't do any damage, it would nevertheless force Seviper back into its Poké Ball, and bring out another of Jake's Pokémon in its stead- and not necessarily one Jake had been intending for use against Hippowdon.

"Roar?" Keith remarked. "This could get interesting."

"Indeed," Willa agreed. "Hippowdon wasn't faring as well against Seviper as type matchups would seem to indicate. And instead of switching out, I can see the merit in forcing Jake to switch instead."

"Yeah, our girl's really trying to take control of the battle," Keith nodded, smiling. "I am so proud of her," he added quietly.

"So am I," Willa added, beginning to smile herself.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #97
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat
Thunder Badge

"Y'know I get that you wanted to 'hang out more' or whatever your deal is, but where in the Distortion World are we?"

Dracen hoisted his backpack, trying not to snap at his brother. "Quit whining. We haven't gone anywhere together in months and I read a thing about how siblings should bond or something, so I thought it might be fun if we went for an adventure!"

"Yeah, but your idea of an 'adventure' and mine are completely different. Apparently. I thought we would at least have a destination in mind." Cy called back plaintively.

"What? That wouldn't be an adventure. Adventures are about discoveries and peril!"

"Please, tell me what in Arceus' name we have discovered out here in the middle of nowhere." Cy spat.

"Uhhh... Creepy woods? Dunno, maybe we'll find a Ghost Pokemon!" Dracen replied in a vain attempt to steer the conversation in a more hopeful direction.

"Did you just pick a direction when we left home and start walking?" Cy said, most likely as a joke.

"Of course! That's how you get adventures!" Dracen said with wild enthusiasm. Cy's only response was a groan of exasperation.

It was true that Dracen had no idea where they'd ended up. They had been wandering in mist-laden forest for what seemed like hours now, which was messing with Dracen's head. His sense of direction was usually impeccable, and he'd been sure they were travelling a straight line... No way these woods were that big?

...Wait. Both of you be quiet for a moment. That was Cy's starter, Wurmple, although Dracen was a bit confused on what he was on about.

"Uhh, neither of us were talking, little dude." He called over his shoulder as he inspected a patch of shadows that he could've sworn just moved.

Not with your voices, but both your minds are practically exploding. Dracen couldn't see the little bug from where he was, but he was fairly sure Wurmple was rolling his eyes. I think I sense something, so would you try to clear your thoughts?

"Sure, I guess." Dracen tried to think of nothing, but it was like trying to vacuum up a Muk. He was too used to letting his mind wander wherever it liked, although he did give it his best shot.

Sigh... Good effort, both of you. Wurmple's message had a distinct air of exhaustion and condescension to it, but Dracen chose to ignore it in favor of his own curiosity. "Hey, what is it that you sensed?"

I'm not sure. I'm too far away to get anything defined, but I know that whatever it is, it isn't a Pokemon - but it can't be a human, it's far too powerful an aura. Wait- Cy, take a step to your left - there's more! I feel... Agh, this is definitely pushing the limits of my reach. I know I sense a group of human minds, and there's one that I recognize, I think... ?

Dracen turned to Cy with a gleam in his eyes. "SEE? ADVENTURE!" He crowed, then turned again and began to march determinedly in a completely random direction. He stopped and turned a third and final time, giving Wurmple a questioning look as the little bug poked his head out of Cy's coat collar. Wurmple pointed a claw, and Dracen resumed his determined marching. Cy sighed and followed resignedly, wondering what the hell they were getting themselves int-

"Uh."

Both brothers looked up at the sky as a distant wall of boulders rocketed into view, then dropped back out of sight. And then a few of them briefly came back into view.

"What in Arceu- " Cy's cursing was abruptly cut off by the sound of several explosions going off as the ground shook slightly, the mist around their feet swirling as if agitated.
Then, very suddenly, the mist shot away from them as a booming roar sounded in the distance, so loud it shook the leaves on the trees and blew Cy's coat back. He narrowed his eyes at the direction it had come from. "That's... "

"A Pokemon battle!" Dracen exclaimed breathlessly, grinning from ear to ear. He broke into a sprint immediately, with only the call of "C'mon we gotta go check it out!" following behind. Cy fought the urge to sigh again, doing his best to stay calm as he headed after Dracen. He admitted to himself (and Wurmple, if the nosy little bug was reading his thoughts) that he was excited to see what was going on as well, but he forced his pace to be slow and measured so as not to show it. He wouldn't let his brother think he'd won.

Wurmple chuckled and curled up in the warmth of the coat collar, pretending to nap as he sent all his psychic energy onto the road ahead. Cy was getting better at remembering Wurmple's mind-reading ability, but he still couldn't tell when he was being read.

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #98
Zorchic
Rainbow Badge

As the battle between Seviper and Hippowdon continued, Jake felt himself tensing up more and more, and not just from the strain of using his aura to maintain the domes around the battlefield. Yes, Hippowdon was taking progressively more and more poison damage, but the Sandstorm was also taking its toll on Seviper, not to mention the risk of getting hit by the Ground-type’s dangerously powerful attacks. For a brief moment, the Aura Guardian thought he was falling behind in the battle thus far.

So, one can imagine his surprise when Maribel commanded her Hippowdon to Roar the Poison-type off the battlefield.

Even as the sound waves washed over the Fang Snake Pokémon and sent him back into his Pokéball, Jake was perplexed. Wouldn’t withdrawing Hippowdon be more beneficial to Maribel’s position in the battle, since doing so would give her Pokémon a chance to recover and battle later? Not only would it get the Heavyweight Pokémon out of a challenging matchup, but it would also mean that the figurative timer of the bad poison damage would be reset. Jake wasn’t sure he understood the logic of ordering Roar here, so he had to be careful about what his opponent was planning.

The Trainer was given no more time to dwell on these thoughts, as an invisible force suddenly got a hold of Charizard, who had been watching from behind Jake, and quite literally dragged the Fire/Flying-type out onto the battlefield in Seviper’s place.

Buizel, who was still standing beside Jake, let his jaw drop in surprise. “How is Charizard going to handle this?” the Water-type asked, dumbfounded.

Somehow, Jake had suspected that Charizard would need to enter the battle earlier than would have been ideal. The Flame Pokémon was now up against Maribel’s Hippowdon, and, despite knowing that the Ground-type packed Rock moves, was willing to pick up where Seviper had left off; the Aura Guardian would work with that.

“We’ll make it work! Charizard, you’ve got ways of getting past disadvantages! Ready?” Jake called to the flame-tailed draconian.

In response, Charizard, who was dusting himself off, spread his wings and gave a loud battle cry through the Sandstorm. “Chaaarizard!”

“Of course!” the Trainer exclaimed excitedly, before making his voice louder and easier to hear for the other side. “It’s been a great battle so far,” he called to Maribel, “and it’s only gonna get more exciting from here on out!”

Now that the battle could resume again, Jake gave a command. “Let’s do this, then! Charizard, take flight!” he instructed.

With powerful beats of his large wings, the Fire and Flying-type ascended into the air, reaching the height of the Magnet Rise that Seviper had used, before looking and locating his opponent through the weather.

“Don’t let up!” the young Aura Guardian continued. “Use Hex now, and keep at it!”

A purple glow appeared in Charizard’s eyes as his tail flame swelled with ethereal energy. As Charizard concentrated on the attack, Hippowdon became surrounded by a Ghost aura that dealt damage relentlessly. Hex’s power doubled if the target was affected by a non-volatile status condition, and the Heavyweight Pokémon’s bad poison condition was no exception.

While the battle continued, Buizel nodded silently, understanding the rationale behind his Trainer ordering Hex. The Flame Pokémon hadn’t as much of a disadvantage as it had seemed.

~

Dracen and Cy trudged through the Spectral Forest, any sense of direction lost on them, save for the signs of a Pokémon battle that made themselves known quite a ways ahead. Not long after said signs appeared, did the mist swirling in the air suddenly slide forward, as if it was being sucked into a point far ahead of them.

While the mist fwooshed up front, a faint glow could be seen farther away. This glow was growing larger and closer by the second, however; thanks to the lack of mist in the air, it could soon be seen one or two trees ahead, at which point it was recognizable as a Moonblast.

“Ribom…” came a small but steady buzzing from behind the Moonblast as the orb spun in circles, the Pokémon wielding it preparing to launch the attack...or not? “Bee? Beebee!” When the Moonblast did come flying, it sailed wide to the left of Dracen, Cy, and Wurmple, bursting harmlessly against a nearby tree and releasing mist into the forest again.

The Moonblast’s user came into full view in front of the adventurers, clearing any remaining fog with rapid flutters of his translucent wings. If a Pokédex were to scan the Pokémon, it would yield Ribombee, the Bee Fly Pokémon and the evolved form of Cutiefly. A Bug and Fairy-type, or something along those lines. The Pokémon smiled and waved to the two Trainers and fellow Bug-type.

Hi there,” Ribombee greeted the three, his voice having a clear but soft quality to it. “Sorry about that Moonblast. I’m Ribombee. What brings you to the Spectral Forest today?” He gestured behind him. “Behind me is my Trainer’s home, or Secret Base, where he is currently having a Pokémon battle with a guest in the...let’s say, stadium.
Realizing that Dracen and Cy would not be able to understand what he was saying, the Bug/Fairy-type then flew closer to the younger of the two brothers, and addressed the Worm Pokémon curled up on Cy’s coat. “Do you, by any chance, have telepathic abilities? If so, would you be so kind as to translate my words for your human companions, please?” he asked hopefully.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #99
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Jake wasn't all that sure how Seviper was faring in this fight, and so was suitably surprised when Maribel called for a Roar, sending the Seviper right back into its Poké Ball. Upon this, Charizard was forcibly yoinked off the sidelines and into the fray.

"So now they have Charizard to contend with," Keith murmured. "Another kind of Pokémon I know for a fact you don't underestimate."

"Indeed," Willa nodded. "Normally, I would say Maribel is in a good spot, but..." she trailed off, glancing at Hippowdon, and not without reason.

"Hiiipp... ppowww..." grunted Hippowdon. He was still standing strong, at least relatively so, but Maribel knew and knew good and well that Seviper's Toxic would soon change that. Therefore, before Jake had even given the command for Hex, she held out the Poké Ball that had been in her hand. "Return now- Hippowdon!" she called, withdrawing the Ground-type. This was what Jake had been expecting her to do, and indeed it was something Maribel was intent on in any case, but she wanted to see if she could throw Jake off a bit, by way of forcing him to switch unexpectedly. She grinned at Jake. "It really has been a great battle so far," she agreed. "And I agree- it's gonna get even more exciting moving forward." At this, she produced another Poké Ball, enlarged it, and held it out in front of her. "But not only because of your Pokémon!" she declared, her grin widening as she threw the ball. "Come out- Tentacruel!"

The ball split open, and in a flash of light, a massive sea creature materialized, towering over all present at twice the normal height of the species, for Maribel's Tentacruel stood at the jaw-dropping height of ten and a half feet! "Tentacruuuuel," she rumbled, her eyes finding the airborne Charizard right away.

"Heheh, Tentacruel's up next," grinned Keith, beaming with all the pride one would expect of a Poison-type specialist watching his daughter command a Poison-type of her own. "Even if she didn't have the type advantage, I'd say they have a good chance here. That thing's powerful."

"Indeed," Willa agreed, nodding slowly. "Would I be going too far if I were to suggest she may even have surpassed Aquarius?" she inquired.

"Ehh, in size, that's fair enough," Keith chuckled. "In power? That's debatable- Aquarius is no slouch," he stated- his own Tentacruel had been something of a mentor to Maribel's Tentacruel when the latter was still a relatively unimpressive Tentacool. "But I'll concede they gotta be pretty close," he added fairly.

Maribel grinned, adjusting the brim of her Mega Hat. "We're just getting started!" she declared. "Now, Tentacruel! Wring Out!" she commanded, gesturing up towards Charizard.

"Tentacruuuuuel!" responded Tentacruel. Out of the eighty tentacles she was standing upon, she was able to spare what looked to be a dozen of them, stretching them up towards Charizard with intent to ensnare and squeeze. And since Charizard was freshly sent into the fray, with nary a hit point out of place, this was gonna hit hard. And as a bonus, Charizard was almost certainly going to be trapped in Tentacruel's grip- a sitting Ducklett for any subsequent moves of Tentacruel's.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #100
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat
Thunder Badge

The brothers' pace slowed as they noticed the mist's strange behavior. Squinting, Dracen noticed the glow before Cy did, and leaped in front of his brother to protect him - but someone else got there first. With an azure flash, Cy's Nincada shot out of her Luxury Ball with a silvery sheen around her to signal the use of Endure. She held her forelegs out in front of her, ready to take the hit... but it never came. The Moonblast whizzed past the group, hitting a nearby tree with an explosion of sparkles. Nincada slowly uncoiled her defensive stance, glancing around to see what had happened. As the Ribombee flew up to them, Nincada jumped into a battle pose, but Ribombee simply introduced himself. Dracen relaxed as he spotted the Fairy Pokémon, but Cy adopted a skeptical expression, wondering what the strange Ribombee's intentions could be. Ribombee realized the humans couldn't understand his speech, and floated closer to Cy in an attempt to speak with Wurmple. Cy took a suspicious step back as Ribombee approached, but Wurmple could hear his question nonetheless.

Impressive. A lucky guess, or a power I hadn't sensed? Wurmple's voice was calm, but it was clear as a bell in Ribombee's head. He didn't move, keeping up the façade of napping. I will relay your message to my Trainer and his brother, but I'd like to ask you a favor in return. These two have been lost here for a good while now, and their bickering is starting to annoy me. Would you please lead them out of the forest if I speak to them for you? At this, he stretched and uncurled himself. Poking his head out of Cy's jacket, he addressed the brothers with his next thought. This Ribombee has asked me to tell you that he belongs to the Trainer whose battle you saw. He says the Trainer's Secret Base is up ahead, and would like to know what brings you to the forest. He retreated back into the folds of Cy's coat, but Cy heard another, quieter message as he did so. Cy, this Pokémon may be more powerful than he's letting on. He hasn't revealed his intentions, and I believe you should keep your guard up for now. I don't think he intends to harm us, but it's best to keep an eye out all the same. Cy nodded slightly, relaxing his stance but not taking his eyes off the Ribombee.

"Whoa. I didn't know you could translate Pokemon language, Wurmple!" Dracen said brightly. "I mean, I suppose it makes sense... but still, that's cool!"

I can read the minds of most, but I can only understand the speech of Bug Pokemon. Wurmple replied simply.

"Neat! Oh, right, task at hand-" Dracen turned to face Ribombee. "Hi! I'm Dracen, and this here's Cy. To be perfectly honest, we kinda just ended up here - We headed out in search of adventure, and this place looked cool, with all the mist and stuff." He smiled, then cocked his head as a thought occured to him. "So are you like the guardian of this forest or something? Your first reaction was to shoot at us. Did your Trainer ask you to watch for intruders?"

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > Secret Bases