UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #276
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

I actually have a match to provide (mostly because mine aren't saving due to what Talon mentioned above), it's the fourth one I've had today after Yuki, Talon and Kuno and I may be on a lucky streak (which Kuno wasn't pleased about *cough*raegquit*cough).

Anyway, this match could have gone a different way if LC had used Bullet Punch at the start over Meteor Mash. Two Bullet Punch's would have KO'd by 2hp (I believe I mention it afterwards). After that, everything descends into a prediction switching match to avoid the more deadly members of either team. But things eventually sway back to one side. We pretty much both had to work for a lead in the middle though, which made it a great match.

So, check it out;

Ground vs. Steel.

Spoiler: show
PASBL: TL3, 15W/8L/1D, 42 KO's, 95TP, 14.75 SP.

*Certified Ref. Grade: B-*

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2
Yougirasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #277
Talon87
時の彼方へ

How will Team Ghost fare against one of the favorites for this tournament? You'll just have to wait and see.

Or I could just tell you: I lost ... on the last turn ... to a nearly-dead Landorus ... but because of TOXIC. >_>

For LC: Ground won.
Also for LC: my current standings are 6W, 7L. (W = Steel, Bug, Dark, Normal, Rock, Ice. L = Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric, Flying, Fighting, Ground.)

As predicted, this is the beginning of Ghost's decline into the sub-50%-wins group. But the battle is not really what you'd expect. I'd hesitate to call it a surprising battle -- it's all but over by Turn 14 -- and yet ... at the start of Turn 14, the score is 2-2 remaining and it's looking like anyone's match. How did we get there?

I led with Mismagius because:
  1. Taunt Jellicent at this point has become predictable and I doubted he'd have left his sand hippo out had I led with the watery ghost Pokemon, much less attempted to set up Stealth Rock.
  2. I was hopeful that he would be torn between thinking I'd use Shadow Ball (in which case he ought to stay put or else switch to Gastrodon, who I assume is SpDef-heavy) or thinking I'd use Energy Ball (in which case he ought to switch to Excadrill and capitalize on my inevitable switching-out with a Swords Dance) and that, by being torn, he'd just stay put. And I could Energy Ball him for the OHKO. >3
Well, I did get to Energy Ball him ... but despite Mismagius's best efforts, it just wasn't enough, and with 20% or so of his HP remaining, the hippo was able to get Stealth Rock up on the field just fine. Crap.

Fast forward to Turns 7 through 9. Gengar is what really turned this match around for me. Not only did he pseudo-OHKO Excadrill, he also managed to truly OHKO the Choice Scarfed Krookodile of Doom™ that has brought so many other teams to their knees. It was inevitable that, with a 30% chance to miss, I'd miss eventually, but it really sucks that not only did I miss against Mamoswine (who I'd likely have also OHKO'd, or at least forced into using up its Focus Sash) but that I survived his Stone Edge ... only to then be done in by the sandstorm's sand. -_-;

Turn 10 sees Jellicent trying to OHKO Mamoswine to no avail (of course) or to burn him, also to no avail, and Yougi reclaiming control of the match. From here on, he would never let it go.

Skip ahead to Turn 13. Yougi has just sent out Gastrodon. This is what I meant by control of the match. You see ...
  • My Froslass is perfectly suited to OHKO his Landorus (Blizzard + Speed)
  • My Mismagius is perfectly suited to OHKO his Gastrodon (Energy Ball + Power)
But Yougi knows this, of course, and so he sends out Gastrodon to square off against Froslass, hoping that somehow he'll win the match-up and that it'll be Landorus vs. Mismagius in the finals. With any luck, Yougi is hoping that I get Choice Locked into Energy Ball and that Landorus can survive the hits (as neither I have STAB nor is he weak to grass) and can Stone Edge me into oblivion.

Turn 13, it looks like I might win. But then Turn 14 comes and ... *sigh*. I miss, he Recovers, and it's pretty much 1-2. Turn 15, it's official. Knowing I can't possibly win this by Energy Balling alone, I opt to lock into Shadow Ball instead. Go STAB! But then something terrible happens:

Gastrodon uses Toxic. -_-;

I warn Yougi right then that if he's going to win he had better beat me through damage-dealing attacks. Oh, you have no idea how painful it would turn out to be several turns later.

Turn 18, I am the total underdog.
  • Mismagius has only 37% HP
  • Mismagius is on Turn 3 of Toxic
  • There's a sandstorm brewing.
As if by a miracle, though:
  • Landorus only deals a pathetic 27% HP damage to me
  • I deal it a whopping 83% damage
Unfortunately, I'm too weak to survive another HP. Yet before Yougi's Landorus can knock me out ... first the sandstorm deals me damage ... and then, finally, Toxic claims my Mismagius's life. Ridiculous.

Final Score: 0-1, with the opponent sitting at 7% life. Things can get worse than this, of course (like a double-KO or like an 0-1 @ 1%), but this is still pretty awful. >.<

Of course, Yougi is thrilled, and so he should be. WELL DONE, YOUGI. Very well-played, even if others watching this match may think it merely ordinary in what moves you picked and when. Well done. Good luck in the rest of this tournament. Though I'm not sure you'll need it. ^^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #278
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Dave (Poison) VS. Yougi (Ground)

No prizes for guessing how this ended up. Made the mistake of overthinking (assuming he'd switch something in to take a Scald and using Giga Drain instead, etc.) but yeah. Good close match and such.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #279
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yougirasu View Post
(which Kuno wasn't pleased about *cough*raegquit*cough).
Fuck you I stayed until my last Pokemon died.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #280
Lady Kuno

Ok sorry yougi I overreacted. Either way, I that was pro8a8ly the worst luck in the entire tournament so I got pissed.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #281
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

It's cool Kuno. I appreciated you staying until the end of the match, although I am annoyed with PO for messing me about with saves and stuff.
I think you got extremely unlucky with PO's hax system, almost definitely more so than the Scaldings we've seen so far. We should definitely have a rematch at some point though to see how things would work out if the Hax hadn't gotten involved. I just hope I can keep my run of (almost unbelievable) good luck going to give you a run for your money over top type. We'll have to see though, you've still got an impressive record and type.

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #282
Lady Kuno

I still didn't fight Steel or Dark, 8oth of which are good against my type.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #283
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Electric vs. Ground

Was in a slump today and it showed. Didn't think some of my actions through. Anyway, GG, Yougi. Hope we can have a rematch sometime when I'm in a better state of mind.

Ground won, obviously.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #284
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Ok sorry yougi I overreacted. Either way, I that was pro8a8ly the worst luck in the entire tournament so I got pissed.
*coughmevs.Daisycough*
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #285
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

It's not crack! It's love, support, and a pinch of Brightpowder. Extra bright... >_>;

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #286
Firewater
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
cough me vs. Phoopes.

at the same time, I know I've been slacking- I'll do better after this weekend.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #287
phoopes
Double Dragon

@FW: Yes, that one too, lol. Wouldn't have been as close as it was without PO spamming miss hax on me.

@Daisy: Brighter than the Sun.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #288
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I like how BrightPowder worked amazingly well for everybody else while for me Double Team @ BrightPowder was a total bust. Maybe that's how I angered my hax gods. D: Maybe they took offense that I was worshipping the false hax idols.

Forgive me, hax gods! ;_;
Old 01-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #289
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
I ran a mono-Rock team for quite a while, and there is quite a few really good Pokemon that made my team good. Probably the best was Golem, Aerodactyl, and Omastar. They were all awesome.
Princess Ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #290
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
I still didn't fight Steel or Dark, 8oth of which are good against my type.
And both of which are weak to fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
*coughmevs.Daisycough*
*coughTalonVSLCcough*

EDIT: Almost forgot.

KIN VS EMP ~ THE DOLDRUMS REIGN SUPREME

Thoughts:
STALLSTALLSTALLSTALLSTALL-
WAIT.
OFFENSIVE TIME.

Warning: This match was 59 turns long. You read that right. 59. I do hope I didn't frustrate Emp too much. Rewatching it, I realized I misread something the first time- I thought his Evolite guy took ~21% from my attack. ~50% makes a lot more sense. I was a little confused by some of the comments people made- for one, when Talon said his paralysis was preventing him from doing anything to Hanger. All the Paralysis had done was make him slower, and Hanger outspeed them before they were paralyzed. :/
And I'm going to guess Dave's comment was one of those... 'Jokes' I've hearing about. I want to say more that has to do with the actual battle, but I'm not really in the mood.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 01-13-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #291
Firewater
Volcano Badge

I have lots of people to fight, but I also have RL stuff, so I won't be back on until sometime monday, or more likely Tuesday.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #292
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
And both of which are weak to fighting.
I seem to have a 2/8 hit rate on Focus 8last as of l8. ;3

Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #293
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
But I am terribad. Come online and beat me?
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #294
Lady Kuno

Weekend.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #295
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

These matches are very exciting to watch you guys, good on ya for putting on this show for my personal amusement... heh.

Seeing you guys in action makes me realize that I still play Pokemon the same way I did 10 years ago, with brute strength and no strategy, and that you guys would place me firmly at the ass-end of an ass-whoopin'.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #296
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
EDIT: Almost forgot.

KIN VS EMP ~ THE DOLDRUMS REIGN SUPREME

Thoughts:
STALLSTALLSTALLSTALLSTALL-
WAIT.
OFFENSIVE TIME.

Warning: This match was 59 turns long. You read that right. 59. I do hope I didn't frustrate Emp too much. Rewatching it, I realized I misread something the first time- I thought his Evolite guy took ~21% from my attack. ~50% makes a lot more sense. I was a little confused by some of the comments people made- for one, when Talon said his paralysis was preventing him from doing anything to Hanger. All the Paralysis had done was make him slower, and Hanger outspeed them before they were paralyzed. :/
And I'm going to guess Dave's comment was one of those... 'Jokes' I've hearing about. I want to say more that has to do with the actual battle, but I'm not really in the mood.
I once had a CC match with Kuno that was 100 turns. Anyway, awesome matches, wish I could be part of the tournament.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #297
Lady Kuno

Don't think I'll have time to get on today. :x

Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #298
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

Well, I may be having more problems with my newest laptop (I'm seriously considering getting it refunded, I mean the hard-drive failure isn't exactly their fault, but 3 critical errors resulting in blue screens and the first being 3 days after it returned from repair has left my quite irate), but I'm still around for matches (even more so since I've returned to my old one until I figure out what I'm doing). So, I'll see everyone in there later despite me being blergh over my laptop :P I've got matches to fight and types to tame...

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #299
Firewater
Volcano Badge

I'm around if people want to die to grass types.

Edit;

Grass vs. Ghost

This was kinda possible, but got screwed with Sleep Powder missing twice. but it was close.

Ghost won.

Grass vs. Dark

Grass wins- Breloom makes itself useful.

This one was kind of funny, I thought I was in a bad spot with Scrafty getting its Bulk Ups, and Whimsicott burning itself, but it ended up well, Ludi did some work, Breloom did the lion share- also if there's no spinning... well, this is why this spikes shit works somehow. Also have been pleasantly surprised by the random flamethrower/and friends that Ferrothorn's been surviving with the Occa help.

Last edited by Firewater; 01-17-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Firewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #300
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For LC: Ghost won.
Also for LC: my current standings are 7W, 7L. (W = Steel, Bug, Dark, Normal, Rock, Ice, Grass. L = Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric, Flying, Fighting, Ground.)

An unexpected win for Team Ghost that can largely be chalked up to one word: hax. One Sleep Powder miss is bad luck, but two in a row is just ridiculous. (Yes, 1:16 is ridiculous. ) The turns that were (in hindsight only) wasted doing those sleep attempts could have been spent Leaf Storming one of my guys into oblivion. Alternatively, putting my guy to sleep would have forced a switch (which would have likely eaten a Leaf Storm to the face) not to mention kept the other guy indefinitely crippled n/m, I'd have just kept him out and sac'd him. But it still would have been one point in Firewater's favor instead of mine.

That stated, there really wasn't all that much hax in this battle. Very few crit hits for either side, very few misses for things that might have missed (e.g. 90%acc Toxic or 85%acc Hydro Pump or 70%acc Focus Blast), just an all-around clean, regular match.

If I had to pick a deciding factor in this match, after the Roserade vs. Cofagrigus fiasco, it'd probably be when Cofagrigus set up in the first place against Ferrothorn. If he had known that I had HP Fire, he probably would have switched to Ludicolo after I ChestoRested. Would have attempted to 2HKO or 3HKO with Hydro Pump. (My SpDef was sitting at 494 at the time, so I doubt anything better would have been possible, but you never know.)

Last edited by Talon87; 01-17-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON