UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Pokémanga Boxsets

$49.99 | Pokémon Adventures Graphic Novel Box Set 1 (1-7) (Red & Blue)
$49.99 | Pokémon Adventures Graphic Novel Box Set 2 (8-14) (Gold & Silver)
$59.99 | Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Adventure Graphic Novel Box Set (1-8)
$34.99 | Pokémon Black and White Graphic Novel Box Set (1-8)

Saw an ad for these today and it seems they've been coming out recently. Good reads, good deals (taking into account that most places will price them lower)? Are these the whole series for each saga? Did Ru/Sa stuff not get released over here?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

P. sure that next to none of the Pokémon Adventures manga got a proper translation stateside; the only real English versions were published in Singapore.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
P. sure that next to none of the Pokémon Adventures manga got a proper translation stateside; the only real English versions were published in Singapore.
Actually VIZ published Pokemon Adventures and Pokemon Adventures: Yellow Caballero in America. I have almost all of them up through half way into the Yellow Caballero arc. Then my local comic store stopped selling them or something :/

This is good news to see though, I really enjoyed Pokemon Adventures. May pick them up.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 10-17-2012 at 07:26 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

To be fair, that's like less than a quarter of the series now. xd

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I thought they recently did start officially translating and re-releasing the series again?
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As far as physical media goes, those prices seem pretty fair. Manga's going rate in this country has been ~$10/volume for years now so the fact that they're offering seven volumes for $50 or eight volumes for $60 is in one sense generous. However, in another sense -- the sense that says "this manga is over 10 years old in some instances, its core demographic is young kids who absolutely lack the ability to persuade Mom & Dad to spend over $200 on comic books for them, and shouldn't you guys be worried about people just reading them online like my friend did this very summer with the whole set? XFD" -- I feel like the pricing isn't low enough. Please don't mistake that for me being greedy demanding they lower the price. I'm not. They could make it $1 for the whole set and I wouldn't buy it. I also wouldn't pirate it. I have zero interest in the Pokemon Adventures manga series. So I'm not speaking from a point of personal greed or stinginess. I'm sincerely offering the opinion that while the price is generous as far as typical market prices go for manga, in consideration of Pokemon Adventures' special circumstances (age, demographic, entire library scanlated online), perhaps they should consider a nicer deal for people who buy the whole thing.

That stated, I wouldn't be surprised if they can't lower the price by much more than this without selling at cost rather than turning a profit. I can't imagine the license was/is cheap for this property. And it's not the material cost of books which drives their price up: it's the goddamn weight. All that shipping and handling. I can definitely attest to that myself having imported my fair share of books over the years from overseas.

tl;dr this is a nice offer for the fans whether or not it could've been nicer
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
I thought they recently did start officially translating and re-releasing the series again?
The B/W set is prolly a straight re-release since its so recent. The others are re-releases but if they got changes or not I dunno. Pokémanga's one of the big PKMN frontiers I never touched an hardly know anything about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
That stated, I wouldn't be surprised if they can't lower the price by much more than this without selling at cost rather than turning a profit. I can't imagine the license was/is cheap for this property. And it's not the material cost of books which drives their price up: it's the goddamn weight. All that shipping and handling. I can definitely attest to that myself having imported my fair share of books over the years from overseas.
As to the prices I only posted the MSRP's. A quick look at amazon brought up these prices:

R/B: $31.49
G/S: $31.49
D/P: $37.79
B/W: $20.99

Other sites like rightstuf, deepdiscount have 'em well below msrp to. These prices get me more interested but I dun wanna be left hanging. I dunno about any of the others but I checked up on B/W and 1-8 are apparently all the volumes currently out in JP right now. So its not over but it could be awhile until more arrives, provided Viz keeps at it. With them pushing these boxsets they could be gauging interest or clearing out stock or just looking to drum up some extra holiday sales.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, if they are gauging interest, you're not doing yourself any favors by playing the Waiting Game. ^^; While it is the smart thing to do as an individual, when the entire herd thinks the same way, the end result is that nobody buys and the company falsely assumes that there is no interest. So what you might consider doing is being pro-active about contacting their company directly and asking them whether they plan to bring B/W over and if so when. If they tell you they have no current plans, then you might decide to wait. If they actually give you a date (e.g. "Quarter One of 2013") then perhaps you might act on these boxset deals now. *shrug*
Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

I'm thinking of adding the B/W one to my christmas wishlist so thats something. Manga more then anime takes longer to come out and if its an ongoing series the chances of it being dropped before completion is higher then anime. Its risky an something I've been burned on before. On the other hand Viz isn't likely to go outta business anytime soon and while they've made mistakes with the manga in the past I'd think this series would keep going.

In other manga news Sailor Moon 1-6 is getting boxsetted for $60-something msrp. That itself don't bother me. What stinks is that I want the box & set of stickers that come with it! I bought all the volumes so why can't I have a nice box to keep 'em in? >.<;
Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
In other manga news Sailor Moon 1-6 is getting boxsetted for $60-something msrp. That itself don't bother me. What stinks is that I want the box & set of stickers that come with it! I bought all the volumes so why can't I have a nice box to keep 'em in? >.<;
When the fifth volume of Harry Potter came out, my sister only owned the first four volumes. I went ahead and got a copy of the fifth volume for myself. She never got one for herself. Then when Harry Potter's sixth volume came out several years later, the book store was selling a box set that had all six books inside. I wanted the box so I could get personal copies of Books 1-4 and 6 plus the nice collector's box but I already owned a copy of Book 5. So what did I do? I gave the copy of Book 5 that came with the box to my sister for free.

What you could try is something similar but less costly. You currently own Volumes 1-6. You want a box that will be coming with Volumes 1-6 inside. What you could try and do then is ...

1. Buy the box in December when it comes out. Current Lindz costs: $60 beyond what Lindz wanted to pay

2. Sell the unused copies on eBay or on Craigslist or whatever. Market them as never used (because they really are never used). Get full or near full price for them. Current Lindz costs: perhaps as little as only $5

3. Put your personal copies of the manga inside the box. Voilŕ: for a cost of $5, you got the box you wanted.

Alternatively, you could always sell the used copies and keep the new copies, but you'd have to sell them as Like New or Used or whatever. And finally, if you have friends IRL who like Sailor Moon, there's always gifting as an option.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON