Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Itoshi no Karin

I can summarize this manga in three sentences, quoted from the first page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaHere
I'm Yutaka Hanagasaki, 20 years old.

I'm a gardener at this theme park, Fuegaoka.

I prefer the company of flowers over that of people, so I think this job rather suits me.
Or so one would hope.

This is a fairly new manga (started in October) that interested me because the main character looks like Eren Jaeger, and is dressed in slacks in the first chapter. Slacks and suspenders, in my mind, have a strong connotation with a humble lifestyle:

You can imagine, then, with an opening like that, what this guy's life has been like, He's 20 years old, but he's a full-time gardener for a theme park. Not grounds crew, gardener. His job lives and dies with the bloom of his flowers. You have to think that for someone in this day and age, an individual as young as him must have had his life go awry for the only job suited for him a gardener. And given his attitude, you'd expect some tragedy behind him.

Turns out Yutaka is attracted to the theme park's mascot, a 17-year old beauty. She's a part-time worker at the park, so you get the feeling she has a future, even if she's only allowed to be the mascot for half a year. Yutaka makes a comparison between her and his flowers, hauntingly pretty but oh so short lived.

Pretty cool premise, eh? We've got a romance with a number of obstacles, such as age, social status, and past. Seems like springboard into some interesting human drama.

Would I recommend this? Well, no...

-like the other story that features "Eren Jaeger", InK is stronger in premise than execution. Yutaka doesn't have the personality of someone you'd expect was beaten down by the real world. He's surprisingly naiive, kind of perverted (he's constantly fantasizing about Karin screaming rape when he gets close to her) and Yutaka's past didn't come much into play until the recent chapter, where he embarrassingly admitted his age to Karin.

-Karin is relatively bland and naiive herself. She misinterprets everything as innocuous and isn't sensitive to what Yutaka is thinking. She seems to like him, but it isn't established early that she had a long-standing crush on him. It seems more of a matter of her liking him because he decided to help her out. Really basic stuff here compared to what I expected.

-the romance on either side isn't convincing. I've read seven chapters and it still feels forced, almost un-realistic. One of the negative comments I saw called it "wish-fulfillment" and sadly I don't think that's a criticism out of left field. Pretty girl who you'd normally have a hard time getting close to 1) likes you, 2) has a super cute personality and 3) needs your help despite no connection beyond going home on the same night bus. To the story's credit, the latest chapter did do something, but more often that not I felt like I was reading a story about to be cancelled rather than the opening scenes of a good drama.

Why am I talking about this? Dunno, just felt like it...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #5902
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
He has this boyish wonder at life, at the world, like the world is his oyster (I'd have said Cloyster but I wanted to teach Kaisa a new English idiom )
...I've known that one since I was about ten years old. Mom, Talon thinks I don't know my idioms! I totally know my idioms! Most of the time!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #5903
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm surprised you know a somewhat obscure figure of speech given to us by Shakespeare like that one. Interesting though! Do you have the same saying but in Finnish? That'd be interesting if it carried over from English like that.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #5904
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
I'm surprised you know a somewhat obscure figure of speech given to us by Shakespeare like that one. Interesting though! Do you have the same saying but in Finnish? That'd be interesting if it carried over from English like that.
Not unless you count the Fingrish one that butchers the entire expression in Finnish and English. It's only been used by horrid bloggers in the past few years, though, not a part of general spoken language.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #5905
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Went home for Thanksgiving. This + family drama + PC room converted into art studio + no privacy --> proooooooooobably won't be able to watch the following episodes:
  • Gingitsune 08
  • Hunter x Hunter 106 (?; today's)
  • Kyoukai no Kanata 08
  • Galilei Donna 07
  • anything that airs from here forward
until Sunday night, December 1. Was really hoping to watch HxH 106 too. May risk more drama to do it! >_>;
Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #5906
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Went home for Thanksgiving. This + family drama + PC room converted into art studio + no privacy --> proooooooooobably won't be able to watch the following episodes:
  • Gingitsune 08
  • Hunter x Hunter 106 (?; today's)
  • Kyoukai no Kanata 08
  • Galilei Donna 07
  • anything that airs from here forward
until Sunday night, December 1. Was really hoping to watch HxH 106 too. May risk more drama to do it! >_>;
If it helps, HxH 106 had a lot of drama. I wouldn't say it's worth risking real drama for though.

Also Gingitsune 08 was kinda weird.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #5907
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Woo! All of Doremi has been translated! I have been lagging behind the episodes, but I'll catch up on it Thanksgiving! Anyway, the main reason I posted.

Ten - Tenna Toori No Kaidanji
I finished reading this. Honestly, it was a bit of a letdown. We get one big really drawn-out match and a bunch of annoying melodrama, but that's it. Some of the mahjong matches were fun, but I guess alot of the joy is killed on me since I don't know how to play it. The bit at the end was really fucking forced. Of course I mean the
Spoiler: show
Akagi's death thing. What was with all that melodrama? Anyone who has seen someone with altimeter's would think the same thing Akagi did. All the bawling and screaming by people who probably didn't like him enough to make that kind of fuss was clearly very forced. I understand Haruyuki but not freaking Harada. Well Akagi's last words with all them were nice atleast.

Also I don't think Fukumoto really had a clear idea what to make of Ten as a character. He kept changing him!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #5908
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just from the way Mcsweeney's mentioned it before, I too would think that the big draw of Ten for Akagi fans would be {the spoiler, which I clicked because I figured that *had* to be it and Mcsweeney revealed it a long, long time ago back when none of us showed any inclination to read Ten}. So that's a shame to hear that it didn't impress you as much as one would've hoped it would. Oh well. :\ It's also disappointing to hear that the main character himself isn't well characterized.

That stated, one man's melodrama is another man's "BEST DRAMA EVER! ", so who knows. Maybe I'd still like it. Guess I should get around myself to reading it ... some day. ^^;
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #5909
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Akagi was released and ongoing while Ten was still in the big East-West meet, and you-know-who died sometime before the start of the Washizu Arc. It's definitely a case of Fukumoto writing as he went along. Old Akagi, as originally envisioned, compared against the Akagi of Old is like comparing pre-Golden Age Guts to post-Golden Age Guts. Both aren't dissimilar, but one does things that you wouldn't expect given the background elaborated in during Golden Age.

Against my better judgment, I downloaded two VNs. One is an OEL that I didn't notice was an OEL to start with, but I revved it up anyway. It's short and called Dysfunctional Systems and seems like a Steins;Gate inspired, parallel-world story.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #5910
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Damn, I'm so disappointed that you didn't like the last 3 volumes. I thought it was some of the best writing I've ever read. So many feels, so much philosophy on the meaning of life that resonated with me.

I don't think Ten is the best manga overall. To me, there are three great standout parts:

-The Christmas tree chapter near the very beginning (damn it I love that little chapter lol)

-Ten tests Hiroyuki to play in the East West match
He passes all the tests, except the last one; he fails to cheat and look at the tiles in the wall when Ten leaves the room. It gives you an idea of how serious this shit is.

-THE LAST THREE VOLUMES HOLY SHIT. If anyone here has seen Akagi, but doesn't want to read through countless volumes of mahjong action, you can just read the last 3 if you want to find out Akagi's ultimate fate.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #5911
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I mostly disliked how hardly anyone understood why Akagi did what he did. They were all crying and fussing when most of them shouldn't be in much position to care. (end of Ten spoiler)
Ten's fussing was the most annoying. I thought Ten would be the most likely to understand why Akagi wanted to die. He would spend his last moments just chatting it up with him in a friendly manner, but no, he starts to throw a tantrum. Is it that hard to understand that Akagi wants to die before he turns into a drooling vegetable that shits himself constantly?

Though admittedly (possibly an end of Ten spoiler)
when I saw what happened to Ken in the east-west battle, I thought Akagi might end up dieing like that, except not pussying out like Ken. I figured Akagi might cheat, and when Harada tries to threaten him like he did Ken, Akagi doesn't flinch, and ends up getting stabbed, but because of that they end up winning the match. That'd be a cooler way to go.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #5912
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've watched 10 episodes of Pokemon Best Wishes. This is alot easier to watch than Kanto, because Team Rocket is not only pretty cool, but they don't eat up half of every episode with the same shit. Another nice thing is that there's not as much BS in this season. I forget the specific examples, but I remember getting irritated by quite a few BS moments in the Kanto version.

For characters...I don't care for Iris or flesh eyes. Though I do like two of Satoshi's new Pokemon, Tsuarja and Mijimaru. Actually Mijimaru is awesome. Way to make up for it being the ugliest starter!

Of course it has its issues, but it's easy to watch, and it doesn't irritate me. Hopefully things will continue this way.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #5913
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I've watched 10 episodes of Pokemon Best Wishes. This is alot easier to watch than Kanto, because Team Rocket is not only pretty cool, but they don't eat up half of every episode with the same shit. Another nice thing is that there's not as much BS in this season. I forget the specific examples, but I remember getting irritated by quite a few BS moments in the Kanto version.

For characters...I don't care for Iris or flesh eyes. Though I do like two of Satoshi's new Pokemon, Tsuarja and Mijimaru. Actually Mijimaru is awesome. Way to make up for it being the ugliest starter!

Of course it has its issues, but it's easy to watch, and it doesn't irritate me. Hopefully things will continue this way.
Everything you just said I more or less agree with. Minor additional details for my own stance:

Iris: I don't hate her, but she's easily my second least favorite female companion of all time, and there are quite a few things she does which I do hate. And I mean hate. Like her retarded catchphrase, 子供ね! / Kodome ne! / "You're such a child!" Reaaaaaaaaaally pisses me off considering she's easily the single least mature of Ash's companions in the history of the franchise. If I had to rank the girls (with a fair heads up given that I only watched the final season of DPPt and very little of Hoenn), they would go:

Serena > May > Dawn > Misty pre-Togepi > Iris > Misty post-Togepi

Dent / Cilan: I actually like Dent. He's basically "What Brock should have been," which is that he's a bit silly often but:
  1. not too often, and
  2. not too silly
We only have Dent around for 140-odd episodes, so granted, he doesn't have quite as long to get annoying as Brock does. But still, it's worth pointing out I think that Dent is "Brock corrected for the limitations of human patience". He's not the same person by any means, but he fills the same role and he does it much more tolerably.

Mijumaru / Oshawott: Like I've said many times on this forum: easily one of the greatest Pokémon of all time in the anime. Just really, really easy to enjoy. Fun personality, solid personality. Viewers appreciate these things, particularly the latter.

Tsutaaja / Snivy: She's another good one. Sadly (TEH SPOILERS), she doesn't get nearly as much screen time as she should (to better develop) and the writers all but forget her existence for much of the second half of the series as they're much too preoccupied on developing other Ashmon, guest Pokémon, guest humans, or various subplots. Anyway, enjoy her. She's not going anywhere terribly soon for you.

Team Rocket: I've said before all I really need to say on this matter.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #5914
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Grisaia no Kajitsu
Michiru Route
Rating: 6/10

I'm finally through a route of this! About freaking time, no? Michiru's Route was pleasant enough. I felt it a bit amateurish compared to other VNs with similar ideas, though. It wasn't anything special, but it wasn't anything offensive either, in contrast to Amane's Route...which I'm fully prepared to get an F.

I'm going to play a little of that other VN, then try and 1CC Dyfunctional Systems.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #5915
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Yeah I hate Iris's catchphrase. Not because she's a child herself, but because of HOW MANY GODDAMN TIMES SHE SAYS IT! She says it like 4 times an episode at the least.

For Tsutaaja, that sucks. She has so much room for growth/development, and I'm sure has a decent past.

EDIT: I just met Bel. Oh my lord she's great. She's a major ally trainer in B/W, and she has her own animations, so I'm hoping she'll appear quite a bit. She'd be a much better female companion than Iris!

Last edited by big bad birtha; 11-29-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #5916
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think while I prefer BW1 and BW2 Bel to Anime Bel, Anime Bel is:
  • still great
  • plenty close enough to her video game counterpart (BW1 Bel) to satisfy most video game purists
Like, she's a crapton closer than Dent is! (Not that I dislike Anime Dent! I'm just saying ...) And yeah, she's fun.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #5917
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Isn't it like XY now?

On a completely unrelated note, I'm going to Japan next week and I'm wondering if there's any cool souvenirs to buy in Osaka :P And I think I'm going Nagano too, can't remember. Nagano... I seriously want to go to the Kawanakajima place but it's kinda inconvenient ;; So yeah, suggestions plz.

So uh, three more episodes for Galilei Donna. Let's hope they'll be great :3
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #5918
Talon87
時の彼方へ

IIRC Osaka is known for its okonomiyaki, though you can find it anywhere. Less a souvenir and more an experience. As far as souvenirs go, no clue.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #5919
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You can get accents in Osaka, too! Those are free of charge.

Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji

I don't know how long this VN is, but I've made quite a bit of progress in a Day+. It's fairly easy to digest from an SOL standpoint. The interface is also more similar to older '90s dating sims, and something of a cosmetic preference I've become aware of lately is I like text boxes and raised text. The issue is, when you are reading subtitles or text low on the screen, your eyes naturally aren't focused on the character faces or the wider panoramic view of the background. This is probably less of an issue with good animation or advaced character shots, or camera angles that zoom in on the face, but for standard VN presentation with a vertical sprite, my natural inclination is to look at someone's face when they're talking. I think, if I ever start to write a VN I'd like the subs at the top of the screen so one can focus in on the faces.

There is a bit of concern, too. The SOL stuff doesn't bother me is because the main guy Makoto and his sister are always cracking sexual jokes, and I find it a bit distasteful that the only kind of humour that doesn't drive me nuts is sexual stuff. I was thinking about this in Whose Line Is It Anyway? lately as well, where I started to feel the "sex joke" is easy to make and good for comedy, but not necessarily the most creative route to pursue.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #5920
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Against my better judgment, I downloaded two VNs. One is an OEL that I didn't notice was an OEL to start with, but I revved it up anyway. It's short and called Dysfunctional Systems and seems like a Steins;Gate inspired, parallel-world story.
Out of curiosity, what does OEL stand for? Original english language?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #5921
McSweeney
Soul Badge

On Ten, spoilers inside:

I personally understood why Akagi wanted to commit suicide, but a lot of people wouldn't. Society, for starters, since assisted suicide is illegal. A lot of the guys did end up being at peace with his decision after talking with him.

Weren't you at all compelled by this part?
http://members.shaw.ca/thesweenz/ten01.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/thesweenz/ten02.jpg

Akagi gradually losing his mental faculties, yet still making one final demonstration on why he's the greatest gambler of all time?

Weren't you a little sad when he said this? That was the end of an era right there

I also enjoyed Hiroyuki's existential crisis, and his preoccupation with living a "proper" life. Akagi telling him to forget about that, it's okay to become a failure and a worthless person in the eyes of society if it means truly living. Similarly, his talk with Harada, and how he's suffocating under the burden of success, and all the obligations and responsibilities it brings with it.

As for Akagi's characterization being a bit off, this is true. It's clear that Fukumoto didn't know at first that he had a special character on his hands; if he did, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have jobbed him out to Ten in one of the first mahjong battles (although I don't fully count that as a loss, since he came into the game behind on points!). He started to become his real self during the ending volumes though. You start to see that insane demon of a man who lives only for the thrill of the game and his own self, throwing away any wealth he ever builds up right away.

And the bit where gamblers chipped away pieces of Akagi's grave as good luck charms, ruining it. "Forgive them Akagi, they're only doing that because they all like you"

While I do think very highly of Ten's ending, I consider it surpassed by the ending to Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa. It's the best I've ever seen (sorry Clannad After, maybe if all that nonsense after the wheat field scene didn't happen you'd be a contender).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #5922
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji

Making surprisingly strong progress in this, but I've hit no routes. The main guy is a major emokid but the slice of life doesn't kill me in the same way Grisaia, Rewrite and...uh, to a smaller extent Little Busters did.

Valvrave

The episode was kind of dumb, but in a more "broad-spectrum" sense. The characters did things that on a large scale were dumb, even if their individual actions were pretty decent. And that stupidity came back to fudge them in the rear at the very end.

Fresh PreCure! OVA

This thing is freaking nuts. It's so surreal I don't even know where to start. We get to see Tart's wedding and then for no reason at all, the girls dress up as maids and spend the day trying to service Daisuke. Predictably, it's a disaster as Love and Inori destroy Daisuke/Miyuki's home trying to make donuts and Miki just sits around doing nothing. There's a sweet scene with Setsuna in Labyrinth mentoring that little girl from the later episodes. Overall, it was a nice bone to throw to fans of the series.

I think a new Log Horizon is out as well. Gonna check that!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #5923
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Outbreak Company

Surprisingly not bad. This anime's about an otaku who gets recruited into the JSDF as an ambassador to a fantasy realm after a portal opens up between worlds. Japan wants to conquer the realm culturally, so the main guy's job is to try and spread anime, manga, VN and LN fever amongst the populace. What's interesting about this show is how rapidly the chaos disseminates and infectious it can be. For example, the head knight gets interested in BL manga due to the fujoshi guard girl, and starts to have romantic interest in the main guy. All because of manga!

Also, the first anime he requests to be brought to the gated capital city, surrounded by huge 50 foot alabaster walls is Attack on Titan. Fan-fudging-tastic idea, bro. I'm sure that's a great way to capture the imagination of the public.

The queen also tries reading Ten a bit later. Not an exaggeration!

Shinigami no Kiss, wa Wakare no Aji

I'm on the classmate route. Her Dad is great. He's a lot like the dads of one of my classmates from high school. He had 10 daughters and was a really cool guy, I actually played mahjong with him and his sons. And, like the Dad in the VN, he tried to set me up with one of his daughters too. If I don't get married while away I have permission to date one of them when I return home. All in all though, I think the VN is mostly average-ish despite my pretty good peristaltic movement.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #5924
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Are you sure that's Ten? I don't recognize either of those guys, although the one on the left has an unmistakable Fukumoto nose.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #5925
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hard to make out at such a low resolution, but it looks like it says "Chapter 2. The S.S. Moon". It's probably parodying a variety of Fukumoto works. I bet Kaiji's second chapter was called "The S.S. Espoir" or some such.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime