UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #126
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Re: Code Geass

TURN 18 - 11/10, glowing episode! I was really glad "she's" finally out of the picture, and he fights were glorious. Great stuff!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #127
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've been a bit lazy I think with these episode ratings, but after Turn 21 I simply MUST come back!

Turn 19 - 6/10
Turn 20 - 1/10
Turn 21 - 12/10!!!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #128
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Turn 22 - 6/10
Turn 23 - 4/10
Turn 24 - 9/10

This last episode was quite good.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #129
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I felt the ending was terrible and I was furious when it first aired, now I'm just sad.

Overall series rating:

Turn 1 - 7/10
Turn 2 - 9/10
Turn 3 - 6/10
Turn 4 - 4/10
Turn 5 - 7/10
Turn 6 - 8/10
Turn 7 - 7/10
Turn 8 - 6/10
Turn 9 - 6/10
Turn 10 - 5/10
Turn 11 - 4/10
Turn 12 - 2/10
Turn 13 - 8/10
Turn 14 - 9/10
Turn 15 - 0/10
Turn 17 - 7/10
TURN 18 - 11/10
Turn 19 - 6/10
Turn 20 - 1/10
Turn 21 - 12/10
Turn 22 - 6/10
Turn 23 - 4/10
Turn 24 - 9/10
Turn 25 - 5/10

=.596 ~ 60%

Average show is average, but not mediocre. It's average because it has a lot of good parts...and just as many terrible parts. A trainwreck? Yes, and certainly that train did crash.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #130
Vran
Cascade Badge

I loved the ending to Code Geass (final season). I think it would have been a copout had they not ... you know. I actually enjoyed it so much it restored my faith in the series and commitment to buying it on DVD some day.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #131
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

It wasn't bad. Well at least for magical boy animes.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #132
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Graveler

I liked the ending a lot.

Of course, the season still sucked ass.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #133
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vran View Post
I loved the ending to Code Geass (final season). I think it would have been a copout had they not ... you know.
He did, but he didn't stay that way.

Quote:
I actually enjoyed it so much it restored my faith in the series and commitment to buying it on DVD some day.
That is the completely opposite opinion of 99.99% of the people who saw the series, even those who enjoyed it to death. It is so contrary, I am having a hard time believing you're not trying to be sarcastic.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #134
Vran
Cascade Badge

I was clapping at the end. I loved it. I had been borderline about buying the DVDs up until the last three episodes. And the last three clinched it, one after the other.

As for Lelouch, I think you've succumbed to 4chan speculation. Might he have gone the Marianne path? So say stupid 4chan fans. But what they neglect to recognize is the painfully obvious: namely, that Marianne's Geass ability allowed her to exist within others (and thus she was never really dead during the time she communicated with C.C.), whereas Lelouch, having no such Geass, is doubtful to have existed within C.C. at the end of the series.

In other words, the fact that she talked aloud to Lelouch atop the hay wagon is hardly proof that he's still alive anymore than it is proof that I have a man inside my head when I pace around my study talking to myself.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #135
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
I was clapping at the end. I loved it. I had been borderline about buying the DVDs up until the last three episodes. And the last three clinched it, one after the other.
I can imagine someone liking the ending, in fact a lot of people ended up liking it. I was disappointed in the not-that-grandiose of a "twist", but found it an OK end overall. It was also a rip-off ending from The Watchmen but the producers all but admitted V for Vendetta was a large influence on the direction the story was going to take, so I'm not surprised it happened like that.

What baffles me is your implied approval for all of R2, which is stupefying to say the least. Especially compared with the rather solid, and consistent, season one of Geass preceding it. Sure, Geass' original ending wasn't the best way to end things, but the point is that's what the director wanted to happen from the beginning, and R2 was nothing but a huge, huge retcon.

Quote:
As for Lelouch, I think you've succumbed to 4chan speculation. Might he have gone the Marianne path? So say stupid 4chan fans. But what they neglect to recognize is the painfully obvious: namely, that Marianne's Geass ability allowed her to exist within others (and thus she was never really dead during the time she communicated with C.C.), whereas Lelouch, having no such Geass, is doubtful to have existed within C.C. at the end of the series.

In other words, the fact that she talked aloud to Lelouch atop the hay wagon is hardly proof that he's still alive anymore than it is proof that I have a man inside my head when I pace around my study talking to myself.
No, the argument is Lelouch is the new V.V., having acquired the code of immortality from Charles.

The immortality code doesn't actually take effect until the original (fully mature) Geass user dies, hence why the nun in C.C.'s memory had to stab her in order to finally die herself. C.C. still has the scar to show she was killed, since that injury occurred before she had become immortal.

When Lelouch confronted Charles in the World of C, his Geass fully matured. Although this was dramatic, it technically shouldn't have meant anything because a one-eyed Geass has the same power as a two eyed one, although it was portrayed as perhaps a requirement for commanding Jupiter (which raises the question of why Charles, having had a mature Geass for many years, didn't simply wish on "God" to grant his new world ).

Still, the two eyed Geass was the one condition required for transfer of codes, and sure enough with his dying breath, Charles made physical contact with Lelouch using the hand with the code on it to choke him. That would have been Charles' last big "fudge you" to Lelouch for wrecking his lifelong plans.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-13-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #136
Vran
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
R2 was nothing but a huge, huge retcon.
I disagree. It was a huge, huge retcon up until the final two episodes. And then those final two episodes completely vindicated the entirety of R2. No longer was it just a retcon. They gave really solid meaning to Lelouch's command to Suzaku, to Lelouch and Nunnally's relationship, to Lelouch's personality ...

It's that last one that really strikes me as special. Before the end of the program, Lelouch was frustratingly bipolar. There were times when he seemed hellbent on watching the world go up in flames and there were other times when he seemed to be fighting tooth and nail to save the people of Earth. The end of the show gave, in my view, a valid argument for Lelouch's seemingly megalomaniacal actions. Now it all made sense: this was all part of the plan.

Deus ex machina, perhaps, but I don't think so. I think that they came up with this idea some time late in Season 1's production. I agree with you that the original season is initially presented like a stand-alone package right up until the very last few episodes. And I think this is why: I think the writers came up with the idea of R2's ending and realized they didn't have enough time to make it work. They couldn't get Lelouch to conquer the world and behave like a jackass in so short a time. So they needed to lengthen the series if only by a couple of episodes, and they instead decided "What the heck? " and milked the franchise for money with a full second season.

I should tell you that I didn't watch Code Geass R2 until it was already done airing, so maybe I was less frustrated with it than you seem to have been because I was able to marathon four or five episodes a day.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #137
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
It's that last one that really strikes me as special. Before the end of the program, Lelouch was frustratingly bipolar. There were times when he seemed hellbent on watching the world go up in flames and there were other times when he seemed to be fighting tooth and nail to save the people of Earth. The end of the show gave, in my view, a valid argument for Lelouch's seemingly megalomaniacal actions. Now it all made sense: this was all part of the plan.
Well, that was the point, wasn't it? The subtitle for the show is "Lelouch of the Rebellion" and if there was anything the show did right, it was critically analyze Lelouch and show his personal development over the series.

If he had started out that way from the very beginning, the whole show's focus would have been different.

Quote:
Deus ex machina, perhaps, but I don't think so. I think that they came up with this idea some time late in Season 1's production. I agree with you that the original season is initially presented like a stand-alone package right up until the very last few episodes. And I think this is why: I think the writers came up with the idea of R2's ending and realized they didn't have enough time to make it work. They couldn't get Lelouch to conquer the world and behave like a jackass in so short a time. So they needed to lengthen the series if only by a couple of episodes, and they instead decided "What the heck? " and milked the franchise for money with a full second season.
I can't really say if R2's ending was what was originally intended, although it seems likely, though the original plot for R2 was actually quite ridiculous, even moreso than what we got.

I will say that Charles was supposed to be the final villain, not Schneizel. Charles dying early was just a product of R2's trajectory and allowed both that stupid mutiny and Lelouch becoming emperor to happen. Lelouch and Suzaku teaming up was planned from the very beginning, but so was the destruction of the Order of the Black Knights and the deaths of more than half the cast. Not everything happened as was originally envisioned.

Quote:
I should tell you that I didn't watch Code Geass R2 until it was already done airing, so maybe I was less frustrated with it than you seem to have been because I was able to marathon four or five episodes a day.
I don't think that matters as far as the Lelouch oriented material goes, but what drives people bonkers is everything else that happened, particularly with the side characters.

Subplots were dropped like flies, even those introduced only in R2. Characters made ridiculously stupid decisions, there was the "worst case scenario" problem, deus ex machina and the whole arms race...pretty much, every detail not centered around Lelouch's personal character development melted into a mass of blood and feathers on someone's windshield.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #138
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Lelouch is dead. If he's not dead, he's dead to everyone else. Who the fuck gives a shit? It's a goddamn anime. You can argue his death from now til apocalypse and you'll never know for certain unless they make Code Geass Season 3: Lelouch is Jesus!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #139
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I hope you're directing that toward the general "Lelouch is dead/not dead" debate society and not just the people in this topic. :X

There IS going to be more Geass coming next year, so there's a good chance we'll see him again, either in prologue or epilogue form.

After-all, despite all the pomp and promise, nobody knows where Geass came from or why it was on Earth. That story still needs to be told.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #140
Loki

Quote:
I hope you're directing that toward the general "Lelouch is dead/not dead" debate society and not just the people in this topic. :X
Yeah, cuz I think it's one of the dumbest debates I ever saw in an Anime Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
There IS going to be more Geass coming next year, so there's a good chance we'll see him again, either in prologue or epilogue form.

After-all, despite all the pomp and promise, nobody knows where Geass came from or why it was on Earth. That story still needs to be told.
Quite honestly I think I'm gonna hate that. There's a lot of things best left unknown and give something more allure from being unknown. But by revealing it, you kill the amazement of it. Like magic tricks or stuff found in horror/sci-fi movies. Leaving things unexplained doesn't make things worse, but revealing it can.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #141
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Yeah, cuz I think it's one of the dumbest debates I ever saw in an Anime Forum.
You don't have to be Geass specific then.

[INSERT CHARACTER] DIES debates are stupid. SPIKE DIES. AERIS DIES.

AKAGI DIES.

Whoops...

Quote:
Leaving things unexplained doesn't make things worse, but revealing it can.
While that is true for many series, it isn't true for Geass. The Geass history was the only subplot that was actually bigger than Lelouch himself, so even if he's not going to star in the next series, I expect that subplot to be the main focus.

Personally, I found the Geass subplot a lot more interesting than everything save the Suzaku - Lelouch dynamic, and the Geass heavily influenced the direction of that dynamic.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 07-17-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #142
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

A little late, but the Geass OVA trailer has been released and by golly, does it look awful. By which I mean the Knightmare Frames. Horrible CGI, weird proportions and walking (?) all make for an ugly forecast.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #143
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
A little late, but the Geass OVA trailer has been released and by golly, does it look awful. By which I mean the Knightmare Frames. Horrible CGI, weird proportions and walking (?) all make for an ugly forecast.
Character animations look fine / good.

Robot CG combat scenes look bad.

Premise seems atrocious / insulting to the spirit of the original series and its finale.

Will not be watching this.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #144
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Character animations look fine / good.

Robot CG combat scenes look bad.

Premise seems atrocious / insulting to the spirit of the original series and its finale.

Will not be watching this.
Agree.

Strongly agree.

Agree/Disagree. I think the premise is great. The way they're choosing to do it, however, not so much.

Despite mostly agreeing with Talon, I'll at least give this a watch. If it's decent it's decent; if it's bad, I've wasted like an hour at most.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #145
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

I'll watch this as long as the stuff doesnt blow as much as R2 did. Season 1 was by far the best.

Im hoping for a good ending this time. Goro tends to screw his characters a good deal(Scryed for one). and he isnt directing this one
Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #146
Loki

WHAT? R2 was amazing! The ending was bittersweet and perfect for the series.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #147
Char
Banned

Rewatching a lot of Code Geass...one of my favorite Anime series.

Shirely's death. Man
Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #148
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Shirely's death. Man
She was re-incarnated as a Pretty Cure.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #149
Loki

Apparently season 3 was just announced.

Mixed feels here.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #150
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Apparently season 3 was just announced.

Mixed feels here.
Doppel mentioned this yesterday in another thread. Copying and pasting the most relevants part of my response there ...

The original Code Geass is pretty explicitly clear about how it ends, and this proposed sequel(?) seeks to ruin that. It's about as bad as an alternate reality where Episode VII: The Force Awakens revealed that a certain person hadn't really died at the end of Episode VI. Like ... no. You can't do that. You showed him dying on screen. Pretty inescapably, I might add.

This is the latest example of how the anime industry is stuck in the same sequelitis rut that Hollywood is. I love a good reboot as much as the next guy, but that's the thing: "good reboot." Good ones are few and far between. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was one. Kanon (2006) was another. And I don't say no to good sequels or prequels. I applauded Fate/Zero. I welcomed each successive installment in the Ace Attorney series. But again, good sequels are hard to come by. We're not talking the S2s and the S3s for ongoing works like Rozen Maiden, Genshiken, Natsume Yuujinchou, or Minami-ke. We're talking true blue sequels to concluded art pieces, sequels like Psycho-Pass Season 2 (ehh) or Digimon Adventure -tri- (been enjoying it so far! ).

A third season, a movie, even a manga one-off chapter sequel to the events of Code Geass is already ill-advised seeing as the original wrapped things up so very, very well with the series finale. But one in which {Person} is brought back, one in which the game is back on and it's like we never really left it ... that's not only dumb, but it undermines the ending of the original.

I haven't watched anything Geass-related since the original concluded, and I have to say: I'm not likely to check this one out either. For me, Code Geass ended for better or for worse with the S2 finale.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime