UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
Miror
Marsh Badge

Nintendo Investors Meeting April 2016: NX and Mobile Announcements

So Nintendo just dropped a couple of bombshells, first and most importantly that the Nintendo NX is going to be released March of 2017. It will not be shown in the E3 direct but will be showcased later this year. The new Legend of Zelda game in development for the Wii U will be delayed until the release of the NX and release simultaneously for both consoles, but will be the sole game that Nintendo showcases to visitors on the floor of E3.

But the other bit of news that came from the meeting is that two more mobile games are in development (actual games this time,) with a Fire Emblem mobile game and an Animal Crossing one in the pipeline for this fall.

Unfortunate that we won't get anything NX at E3 but still pretty cool news all around.

Go crazy.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #2
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Did Nintendo just throw in the towel for E3 because that's pretty much what I'm seeing
Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Everyone has been calling that Nintendo would go the Twilight Princess route again, but I think it's a bad idea for Nintendo to do it. As much as I liked TP, it was a GameCube game with GameCube graphics and controls. Relatively unimportant with TP since the Wii was never marketed as a graphics Goliath, but problematic for the NX which has been marketed as being graphically superior to all current consoles. The NX's flagship title needs to look like an NX game, not like a Wii U port.

Only showcasing Zelda at E3 2016 is another concerning choice. I'm glad for as few Sun/Moon spoilers as possible, but what about other major properties like Mario and Metroid? And what about popular but less titanic properties like Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Bayonetta? It's just weird to think that they're essentially boycotting E3 like this. They've kinda been doing it with the move from E3 stage presentations to online, pre-recorded Nintendo Directs, but now even the Direct is only going to talk about one game n/m misread. SpaceWorld 2016? ;o
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror View Post
with a Fire Emblem mobile game in the pipeline for this fall.
This makes me want to upgrade my phone.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

I doubt they will only show Zelda at E3. That's like, an entire hour. I have no doubt it will be the central showpiece, though. There will most certainly be other games to be shown.

I do feel like not showing anything NX related or talking about it is a bad move. I'm obviously not in the business of marketing, but if the console releases in March, why would they wait to talk about it? Maybe they want a whole day to themselves to do press releases and such as opposed to dominating the flood of news that comes out of E3, but it still feels like a huge missed opportunity, especially when they previously have said that they will be revealing it at E3 2016.

I guess we will see. But it does seem like a bit of a red flag, and to show off the Wii U version of the new Zelda only and not showing anything for the NX version doesn't seem like a brilliant plan to get people hyped up for and ready to invest in their new system. I mean, Twilight Princess on Wii practically sold that system at launch for a lot of people, and performed better on Wii in sales than it did for GameCube, IIRC. Showing off the Wii U version and not discussing the NX version just does not seem too smart.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

idk, Nintendo seems to be playing a very close hand with the NX, although I reckon it may be Gamepad-compatible to allow for backwards compatibility, which Nintendo seems to be a pretty big fan of thankfully. And plus, as deo said, spotlight. They can announce NX stuff whenever, so they might as well do it at a time when it's going to stick, rather than having to compete against the umpteen thousand other announcements at E3, which iirc may include a new PS4 or something.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Miror
Marsh Badge

Mind you the whole only Zelda at E3 thing refers to it being the only game they'll have physically available to play at the conference rather than what their entire presentation focuses on.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Hasn't Nintendo been pretty absent from E3 the past few years anyway? Sure they have games on the showfloor but like all of the news comes from the Direct videos. They'll have Zelda out for people to try an I guess just not have a non-Direct stage presentation?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Hasn't Nintendo been pretty absent from E3 the past few years anyway? Sure they have games on the showfloor but like all of the news comes from the Direct videos. They'll have Zelda out for people to try an I guess just not have a non-Direct stage presentation?
Didn't they reveal FE:Fates and ORAS at an E3? Then again looking back that was probably 2 E3s ago.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #10
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
Didn't they reveal FE:Fates and ORAS at an E3? Then again looking back that was probably 2 E3s ago.
Dunno about FE, but looking back on news ORAS was revealed in May nearly a month before E3 2014.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #11
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
Actually, FE Fates was released a week or two after E3 in Japan. It was first revealed back in January 2015.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Is Nintendo doing poorly financially?

I was looking into investing into them, Sony and other game developers and the critical consensus seemed to be "profit on margins, look at Microsoft only". Which is pretty similar sentiment to investing in Disney right now.

I really want to talk about old video games for some reason.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

Nintendo isn't doing poorly, but they aren't doing great. The Wii U has been basically confirmed a bona-fide failure. The 3DS is a huge success, though. It really depends on what happens with the NX. Nintendo is going to need a lot of third party support, which they did not have for the Wii U. I think Nintendo will be fine, but they are in a rut right now. If you are gonna invest in them, maybe look into Chipotle while you're at it.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #14
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

It disappoints me that the Wii U was a total failure. It really is a fun console with a great games lineup.

But I guess when it's meant to be played in large groups, you end up with fewer consoles sold per person. Why would me and all my friends have a Wii U if we're all going to be playing on 1 console?
Old 05-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #15
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

http://e3.nintendo.com/

Ohh guess this got a bit worse? Looks like Zelda will be the focus of their Treehouse/Direct stream this year to. With a new system out within the next 9 months and a revitalized 3DS, the heck are they doin'?
Old 05-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #16
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Zelda U's a cross-release, so it makes sense. We still know fuck-all about it, aand it's been pushed back so much they're releasing it on NX as well as Wii U.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15...d-of-zelda.htm

Alright so fuck everything else, Nintendo has confirmed E3 will be purely and only Zelda after all - nothing else.

What the hell?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #18
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

LoZ is probably THE big title they're using to sell the NX, and then NEED the NX to sell after the Wii U flopped like a Magikarp on a barbecue. Therefore, by hyping up the new LoZ, they're pushing the NX already. Still a bit weird how they're announcing literally nothing else, but that could just mean that there's nothing remotely big coming up that needs announcing.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #19
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
LoZ is probably THE big title they're using to sell the NX, and then NEED the NX to sell after the Wii U flopped like a Magikarp on a barbecue. Therefore, by hyping up the new LoZ, they're pushing the NX already. Still a bit weird how they're announcing literally nothing else, but that could just mean that there's nothing remotely big coming up that needs announcing.
Its not about announcing stuff, its about showing stuff they have already announced and are coming in the second half of the year. Like... I dunno... finally giving us a date for DQVII and finally showing it off in english o.o?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:29 AM   #20
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

tbh, it's not that impossible that Nintendo's putting all its eggs in the NX basket. If the NX flops like the Wii U, what next? Will Nintendo still make home consoles if it's going to be like this? I doubt it. They're showing NX stuff without marketing it as NX stuff, and there's nothing else big enough to warrant the floor space. Although they could just throw up a direct at some point.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #21
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-changes-e...lda-1780083053

Now they're gonna kick off the treehouse thing with Pokémon Sun/Moon then go to Zelda. On Day 2 they'll show a buncha other upcoming games. Still only got Zelda on the showfloor though.

Backpedaling due to all their fans going "wtf" or poor initial communication of their E3 plans? You decide!
Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #22
phoopes
Double Dragon

Poor communication IMO. I don't think there was ever any chance of them only showing ONE game at E3. I understand Nintendo likes to be unconventional especially when it comes to E3 (consider the whole digital event thing) but that would have been way too wacko.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

Nintendo just being fucking Nintendo

None of this should come as a shock to anyone

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games