UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 10-12-2016, 04:47 AM   #1
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Relicanth Kids These Days........

This thread is for some of us older UPN members to come and complain about those moments we have when younger people don't know about something we think they should or do something that we find ridiculous. Young UPN members can feel free to defend themselves/generation if they feel like it hahaha.

I shall kick things off.

So I work at a school as a Learning Support Officer, 3 days a week while I'm studying to become a High School Science Teacher. I mostly do literacy work with the kids, today we were looking at a cartoon like image of a family piled into a small boat with all their stuff (including their house). One of the discussion questions was how did they fit so much in the boat? Leading them on, I said that maybe one of them was good at Tetris. You know Tetris, we all know Tetris, classic game, easily recognizable. Turned out every single one of the kids, across the 4 lessons I had today, had no clue what Tetris was and it did my head in lol. So like any good LSO/Future Teacher, I stuck them on the computers for the last 10 minutes of the lesson to play Tetris.

Kids these days......

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:51 AM   #2
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

The fuck tkf you're like 20 something

Right

No defense for those kids you mentioned though. How one can live in a modern society with internet and all and not know Tetris shocks me.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:21 AM   #3
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Yes I am 23.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

I think the weirdest experience I've had so far in that regard is kids not knowing what a VCR or VHS tape were. I mean it's understandable for sure, it was just surreal.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

This happened a year or so back. Was on holiday with family and some family friends and the friends had someone over for a few days and brought their kids. Got into talking about what they like to watch on TV nowadays.

"I don't watch much TV, I like TDM!"

I'm like tf is TDM, some new contraption to replace television? Am I really that out of touch?

Turns out he's a youtuber... a fucking Minecraft Lets Player at that. He's got like 12 million followers and after seeing the 'Best Of' video on his homepage, I came to the conclusion that he's a fucking tool. What happened to the days where you'd get all giddy to wake up in the morning to watch Wacky Races at 8am...

Kids these days...
Old 10-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

Make no mistake, Let's Players are the big thing for kids. I went to Target about a year ago and saw Let's Play action figures of popular Minecraft YouTubers. I'm not even kidding.

TV networks wish they had that sort of popularity nowadays.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Snorby
Snackin'

legitimately floored that people older than kindergarten and younger than 65 don't know what Tetris is.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorby View Post
legitimately floored that people older than kindergarten and younger than 65 don't know what Tetris is.
I'm not floored but I'm a bit surprised. Tetris games are still being produced, and it's a hit on mobile. I mean, I imagine most of those kids probably don't know what Pac-Man is either.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
>Kids

Well if they could just stop fucking thinking that walking in front of large moving objects is a good idea while their parents are busy having their thumbs up their asses and eyes implanted in their phone screens...

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'm not floored but I'm a bit surprised. Tetris games are still being produced, and it's a hit on mobile. I mean, I imagine most of those kids probably don't know what Pac-Man is either.
Of course they do, he's in Smash!

I'm also actually really shocked that those kids didn't know what Tetris was, so maybe they wouldn't know Pac-Man too. I just don't want to believe it.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The best Tetris iteration by far is the one on the original Game Boy. In a close second is its predecessor on the NES. None of the others even come close. Not Tetris 2, not Super Tetris, none of them. Series seriously went downhill. They should've just kept porting the game on over to the new hardware. Same Game Boy feel, new look. (SAME FEEL. Can't emphasize this enough. HAS TO HAVE THE SAME FEEL!) You know it's bad when I'd rather play the TI-83 port of Tetris than play Tetris Worlds for the Game Boy Advance.

Considering the Fine Bros. put out a video several years ago about kids reacting to Game Boy and how a lot of the spoiled little brats thought it was a shitty mobile phone and didn't immediately know it for what it is, I'm not too surprised that younger children don't know what Tetris is. The brand name is zealously protected and, like I've just said, none of the iterations post-GB were any good anyway. The same way that many people here probably could not have told me the name of Tetris Worlds before I said it, because their first Nintendo handheld was a DS and they still haven't hit the age of 20, I could see kids born in the year 2008 not knowing the name "Tetris" period. It's entirely possible that on playing the game they soon realized, "Oh! Like _______!" and compared it with some other, less-known knock-off that is better known to them because that's the one they played on their mobile gaming devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A big one for me is cursive. Those of us born before 1992 were on the tail end of cursive being mandatory in public schools. I know many, many working adults in their 20s who either don't know how to write in cursive or else who do and expect me to be really impressed by it. On a deep, subconscious level, I don't think these kids understand that everyone my age and older knew how to write in cursive at one point or another and many of us still know how to do so.

Music's another one. As a product of the era of my upbringing, I still (and probably forever will) think of most '80s music as "the music that just came out that I just barely missed" and think of most '90s music as "contemporary." It can be pretty weird (perhaps surreal's the better word here) to talk with someone in their 20s and have them speak of '90s music the way I speak of '80s music, but it's perfectly understandable to me why they would do that.

Cinema and television. It can be strange when you were well into your teens when some great movie or TV show came out, and so of course you saw it live and participated in all of the conversations that took place at the time, but then years later you discuss the movie with a 20-something and he talks about the movie as though it were The Godfather or some other classic of cinema that is on everyone's To See list and that of course came out before you were born. There are also those moments where you're in a conversation with three people -- yourself, someone your age or older, and someone ten years younger -- and you make pop cultural references that to you are obvious and anyone should know but which the 20-something-year old has no idea what you're talking about. I had one of these just the other day in fact. Was doing a silly dance that made an older coworker laugh. Asked her conversationally if she remembered the Urkel. (Of course she did.) Then, on explaining it to a younger coworker, I was asked: "Who's Steve Urkel?" That really made me feel old. I feel like everyone who was watching television in the early 1990s remembers Steve Urkel and Family Matters, but apparently anyone born around the time the show was canceled hasn't got a clue about it. Keep in mind, this wasn't just a show I say was popular because I knew about it in my own little bubble: this was a national craze that spawned all manner of memorabilia including a pull-the-string talking Steve Urkel doll that was one of the hot-ticket items of its holiday season. I don't see a pull-the-string Sheldon doll or a pull-the-string Ron Swanson doll. I don't see Andy-O's cereal or Leonard Puffs cereal. Urkel had a cereal. Urkel had toys. Urkel was everywhere. And yet? Today's young adults haven't got a clue who he even is.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Crys

Though not related to the Tetris topic at hand. You brought up an interesting point Talon that even I, probably one of the younger folk on the forum can relate to. This subject being cursive. In the third grade (2007/8 if I recall correctly) cursive was a mandatory part of the English curriculum. Now, 8 years later, my little brother has entered the third grade, and to my shock, cursive is no longer even taught, let alone mentioned. I still have trouble with a fair deal of the cursive I did not use, such as those damn Z's, but it's still a good skill to have, especially for banking and signatures. The fact that they don't even briefly skim over it is quite scary.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #13
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Cursive was sort of phasing out when I went through Primary School. Like it was pretty heavy there for a few years, but by the time I got to High School it was none existent.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #14
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
In India cursive is standard!
Old 10-13-2016, 12:33 AM   #15
Crys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeet View Post
In India cursive is standard!
give me your damn curry =]
Old 10-13-2016, 12:37 AM   #16
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
my place or yours bby?

Actually, that just made me realise that today's kids may never know a/s/l. Good god.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:55 AM   #17
Selena
Aroma Lady

> Cursive

that was weird for me, they wanted to learn me writing by starting cursive for 2 years. After that they said we're doing the other thing now. I was like wtf, why bring up cursive in the first place then?

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
Snorby
Snackin'

>Talon

Hmm? 2008? From TKF's OP I got the impression these were High School kids, hence my complete shock. If they're still in grammar school, I can see them not recognizing it more xp

As for Cursive, I know they were still teaching it at my school when I was in second, third, fourth, and fifth grade, but they stopped perhaps 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm surprised they don't at least teach each kid how to write their name in cursive given how important it is to signatures.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #19
phoopes
Double Dragon

I remember thinking the whole cursive thing was weird. We learned cursive in fourth grade, which for me would have been 2006-2007. And then the following year in fifth grade we were required to write everything in cursive. Literally everything. It was a good experience because now I know how to write it pretty well. But sixth grade and onward it was never required ever again. That's what really confused me. It's not like I went to sixth grade as they were phasing it out, it was a known thing in my school that fourth and fifth grade were the years you learned and then wrote cursive and after that you never needed to write it again. They eventually stopped teaching it altogether but I don't know when that was exactly.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #20
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Maybe they had to remove it to make room for more standardised test prep.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #21
phoopes
Double Dragon

zing
Old 10-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #22
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
On the cursive thing. In my elementary school they just taught us how to write. And the way in which they did that was in cursive. So I'm a bit confused by this "lessons in cursive writing" thing. They teach you how to write first and then re-teach you how to do it in cursive?

In my school days, during any lesson, there was only one way of writing, you only knew one way. It's just that at some point everyone can write in a clear and legible way, so they stop caring about how you write so much at that point, as long as it is clearly legible. But for me, and I guess most here around my age, my default writing is cursive. Wouldn't exactly know how else I could write, everything else (like block letters) just feels incredibly awkward and unnatural.

Anyhow, kids these days complaining about kids these days...
Old 10-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Do first year university students count as kids? Because I have STORIES.

I also have stories about teenagers and lil kids from when I taught drama but they're far less amusing/oh god why-ing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #24
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I don't really feel cursive has much of a point. Learning to sign in eldritch runes is far safer. ;)

(No really cursive was sort of of a waste of time.)
Old 10-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #25
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Cursive is literally pointless outside of signatures.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc