UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 AM   #76
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Apparently the Switch isn't replacing the 3DS.

(Not aimed at anyone, just something I saw that hadn't been seen here as far as I can be bothered to check.)
Young one, this is exactly what they said when they revealed the DS at E3 many years ago ...

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Kaplan said the DS isn't a replacement for the aging SP. She said Nintendo is targeting the DS, with its wireless and touch screen capabilities, at older, more sophisticated "early-adopter" style gamers.
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...s_427229.shtml

Quote:
Nintendo is just saying this so that they can continue to ride off the success of the 3DS if the Switch fails. They had the same plan for the DS; they were worried about sales numbers, so they told people that the GBA wouldn't be replaced by the DS
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ds-with-switch

Quote:
Remember when Nintendo said the DS was NOT gonna be GBA's successor? And that there would be another handheld released to replace the GBA? So much for that eh?
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/ninte...na-b-26851799/

You're too young to remember this, but I was older then than you are now. I remember it well. The GBA had only just come out three short years earlier (2001), and yet already (2004) Nintendo was rolling out this strange new clamshell device called the DS. They swore up and down that it was only a novelty item meant to co-exist alongside the GBA, that the GBA would continue to be the home for the biggest releases whereas the DS would be an exotic side platform meant to house titles built from the ground up to utilize the dual screens and the touch-sensitive bottom screen.

They lied.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 AM   #77
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Nintendo's proven the past couple of generations they're stingy as all hell with their game prices. Their digital sale prices are universally mocked and unless the games a bomb their retail games are still full price many years later (hellos $40 Mario 64 DS).
I took these photos I want to say less than a day before you posted what you wrote here, but I've only just uploaded them from my phone. Here. Have these, from one of the Wal-Marts in Lafayette, Indiana:

Exhibit A. Pokémon Sun and Moon (2016, Gen 7), priced at $39.82

Exhibit B. Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (2014, Gen 6), priced at $39.96

Exhibit C. Pokémon X and Y (2013, Gen 6), priced at $39.96
Old 01-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #78
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

But, outside of no longer being used in Nintendo's official competitive format for 2017 tournaments, has anything occurred to actually devalue those games since their release? They're still a unique Pokemon adventure on Nintendo's current handheld platform (Until they actually give the New 3DS a proper push into relevancy). Just because they aren't the newest game in the main series doesn't mean their price should automatically be cheaper.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #79
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

http://www.gamestop.com/ds/games/pokemon-diamond/64184

D/P has never been less than $40. I've learned that if I want a game from Nintendo, it's better to preorder the game and pay for it little by little rather than hope for a price drop.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #80
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
http://www.gamestop.com/ds/games/pokemon-diamond/64184

D/P has never been less than $40. I've learned that if I want a game from Nintendo, it's better to preorder the game and pay for it little by little rather than hope for a price drop.
It was the same for Emerald and the GBA games. Pokemon games just don't drop in price.

That being said, 2 black friday's ago, xy and oras were half off at my local target. That was a shocker.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #81
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I'm pretty sure most of the reason for a lack of pricedrop is their "necessity" for dex completion. You can't get Xerneas in SM or ORAS. Until HGSS you need RSE to get Rayquaza, Groudon, and Kyogre, etc., and RSE were consistently $15-20 more than pretty much every GBA game while they were still being sold used. It's always been the case that Pokemon games have had inflated price points while other games have taken price drops.

Hell, the DS PMD games are $25.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #82
Talon87
時の彼方へ

First I've heard this: Nintendo's shares dropped after the Switch reveal. And lest I steal the article's thunder, the juicy climax in the spoiler tag below:

Apparently they lost 5.75% of their share value, or 205 billion yen. O_O This is the equivalent today of Ł1.45 billion or $1.82 billion.

To be fair, the company is still valued higher today than it was this time last year.

And if you do the math, the story would suggest that Nintendo is still valued at around $32 billion. That places the company well ahead of most American corporations you can think of, the obvious giants in the room (like Amazon and Microsoft) excepted. To say nothing of their over $1 trillion in assets. Compare that with Target, with assets totaling "only" $40 billion. Or IBM, with total assets of roughly $110 billion. Nintendo has nearly ten times as much in assets as the whole of IBM. Chew on that.

All the same, losing 5% of your company's publicly traded value after the unveiling of your new product is not good.

Separate news story: Nintendo has confirmed that they will be offering battery replacement as a paid service. The price is not yet known. One of my main reasons for holding off on buying a launch Switch is the battery, as I had hoped a Switch Lite revision would see a return to user-replaceable batteries. But most commenters online have noted that Samsung and Apple smartphones have never let you do this and the move in the market is generally away from user-replaceables and towards this.

JoyCons apparently will sell for $49.99 per stick, and $79.99 for a bundle pack containing one of each. If it were $49.99 for the pair, fine, but $80 for the pair is kinda crappy seeing as most XBox One and PS4 controllers only cost around $50, and a full second controller is the price of admission for friends coming over to play multiplayer games with you.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #83
Miror
Marsh Badge

To be fair in relation to their stocks and whatnot, the share prices dropped after its initial video reveal as well, which was incredibly well received by most anybody besides the shareholders it seems. Nintendo's stock appears to primarily only go up when mobile games or the success of mobile games are mentioned, as seen when Pokemon Go's success inflated Nintendo's stock incredibly despite it not even really being Nintendo's game and such.

A more reasonable assessment (potentially) of the console's success or otherwise I would think would be its pre-order numbers so far. To start with, Nintendo is ramping up production from its initial plans of moving 2 million units for its first month due to the sheer amount of pre-orders. Many retailers worldwide have completely sold through their pre-orders, many in the first day of the Switch's announcement. If we assume that they manage to sell through their initial Nintendo Switch stock of 2 million in the first month, that would put its launch far ahead of the Wii U's 890k (which was still surprisingly good for the console) and more on par with the PS4's launch where they'd sold 2.1 million units in the first 2-3 weeks and 4.2 million by the end of December (about a month and a half after release). If the Switch patterns that release, outside of holiday season no less, I think the launch could pretty easily be considered a success. Now, obviously we'll have to see how many pre-orders have ended up being cancelled and this sort of analysis could be wildly off base so I guess we'll see lol
Old 02-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #84
Miror
Marsh Badge

It appears Kimishima has announced the price range for the Nintendo Switch online services, which looks to be between 2000-3000 yenper year, or around $17-26 year. That's not bad at all actually.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #85
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>tfw online price is a third of what people were expecting

Nice.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #86
Crys

That is actually fantastic. Wow.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #87
Talon87
時の彼方へ

On the one hand, $20/yr sounds pretty nice.

On the other hand, why the fuck am I paying Game Freak $5/yr for Pokémon Bank?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:23 AM   #88
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Because Capitalism.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #89
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

So $30 a year in US funbucks? Plenty of wiggle room for 'em to up the price over the years just as MS/Sony have while still getting to say they're the cheapest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
On the one hand, $20/yr sounds pretty nice.

On the other hand, why the fuck am I paying Game Freak $5/yr for Pokémon Bank?
Why are people paying for Live/PSN when PC gamers don't have to? Even better when Live/PSN games allow people to play against people on the PC versions!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #90
Snorby
Snackin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
So $30 a year in US funbucks? Plenty of wiggle room for 'em to up the price over the years just as MS/Sony have while still getting to say they're the cheapest.
What precedence is there for this? Nintendo has never been known to arbitrarily jack up prices once they've been set, as far as I recall (though I'm young so I may just not remember/have been aware when it happened). Remember, this is the company that's only just making Online Multiplayer cost extra cash. PSN did it 7 years ago, XBox Live even further back than that. Unless you mean the $5 dollar up-charge we'll probably see for the next console because that's how inflation works?

Maybe your jaded outlook on this is justified by information I don't have, but if that isn't the case then I don't see where it's valid to assume that their surprisingly cheap online service will be randomly jacked up in a year or two. This is Nintendo we're talking about, not AT&T.

Also, nitpicking, but $15-$25 is very different from $30. Your figure is half the price of XBox Live Gold (Great), whereas the actual figure looks to be coming out to around a third, or even as low as a quarter (Absolutely Fantastic)

I get that you don't like that Online Multiplayer isn't free like it is for PC gaming, but them's the breaks. In all reality, I'm happy it isn't gonna cost $60 like it might have. $20 in a year is something pretty much anyone can afford. Besides, I would actually argue Nintendo has more of a reason to bill for such things than Microsoft or Sony do given they have much more (and higher quality imo) first party content at their disposal- while you might be able to easily ditch your XBox One for a PC, ditching a Switch for one is much harder since you won't get the chance to play Mario or Pokemon.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.

Last edited by Snorby; 02-02-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #91
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorby View Post
What precedence is there for this? Nintendo has never been known to arbitrarily jack up prices once they've been set, as far as I recall (though I'm young so I may just not remember/have been aware when it happened). Remember, this is the company that's only just making Online Multiplayer cost extra cash. PSN did it 7 years ago, XBox Live even further back than that.
Nintendo wasn't known for charging for online play until now. They're following precedence set by others. Wouldn't be surprising at all for 'em to follow suit an gradually raise their price, or do a higher tier Nintendo+++ type of thing.

Quote:
Also, nitpicking, but $15-$25 is very different from $30. Your figure is half the price of XBox Live Gold (Great), whereas the actual figure looks to be coming out to around a third, or even as low as a quarter (Absolutely Fantastic)
We don't know that the JP price will translate exactly to the US price. I mean, we don't even know the JP price period yet just that its somewhere in the $15-25 range! An who knows if seemingly inevitable tariffs will come into play? Or even just currency devaluation. Poor Canada just above us has been suffering gaming prices higher than ours for over a year now, an at the end of this month their Live fee goes up by $10. Besides as some of us saw with the initial Switch price reveal, its prolly better ta bet high then to have your head in the clouds of dreamland and expect a lower price. At the very least if it does come in lower ya can be pleasantly(?) surprised!

Last edited by Lindz; 02-02-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #92
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
http://time.com/4662446/nintendo-pre...tch-interview/

That said, Switch is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems, and is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems. Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update.
May be considered? For reals?

Quote:
In some cases, games from past systems may be re-released for the Nintendo Switch system as either enhanced or original versions.
Nintendo following precedence of others by cutting off BC in order to resell Definitive Editions eh?

Quote:
As for Miiverse, while Miiverse will continue to be supported on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, our approach with the Switch is to make greater use of other established, broadly used social platforms. For example, capturing gameplay screenshots to share on popular social networks, and social features such as voice chat are possible with smart devices through our app.
Okay but...

Quote:
And in terms of the Internet browser, since all of our efforts have gone toward making Switch an amazing dedicated video game platform, it will not support it, at least at launch.
Ya can share to twitter/facebook but without a browser there's no way to see peoples responses to what you've shared. Also a tablet in 2017 without a browser? Sheesh.

Quote:
Next, whether Nintendo eShop is fully supported and functioning for Switch at launch, we can confirm that it will be possible to purchase and play downloaded software at launch, but we are not sharing further details at this time.
Its February 7th Nintendo.

tl;dr "we've been sitting on our thumbs for the past 2-3 years, enjoy buying into the Switch Early Beta!"
Old 02-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #93
Crys

Old 03-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #94
Crys

so, what have people thought of the switch?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #95
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
so, what have people thought of the switch?
I love it. I can bring it to work with me and play console games at work. I just love how portable it is. It's somewhat heavy, so prolonged play in handheld mode can make my wrists a little sore.

My only real complaint is how barebones it is. It's not a huge deal, but the system is so clean that it's almost... too clean. Devoid of much content. Almost feels like they just knew they needed a working OS and UI to get out there just to run basic functionality and are just going to keep developing it post-release... which is fine as long as they remain somewhat frequent. More games on eshop, a browser, and a few basic apps like YouTube and Netflix would take this thing a lot farther. Sure, I can do those on other devices, but I'd rather not if I have it on the Switch. In time this will all be filled out and revamped.

My other complaint is the big one: the design of the charger port. I understand the port is on the bottom for the sake of slipping the Switch into the dock, but it's really annoying because it means you can't set it down on the kickstand while charging. People have made 3D printed docks to circumvent this, but not everyone has access to a 3D printer. I dunno, it's just a pain in the ass. I hope a third party releases a super portable switch charging dock soon so I can charge and play with the controller on the go.

HD Rumble: I've not yet experienced this, well, not really. I haven't played 1 2 Switch or anything, so the most experience I've had is in Zelda - and it only utilizes it slightly when towers rise out of the ground at the beginning of the game. It rumbles from the bottom of the joycons upward, so you can feel a rumble move from the bottom of the joycon to the very top, slowly and repeatedly. It was interesting, but not enough to make me say anything more than "neat". I'm sure the experience with HD rumble will be way more interesting in games that have more focus on it.

All in all... for $299, I think it's a great system, and I definitely feel happy with my purchase. I recommend it. If Zelda, Snipperclips, Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, or Binding of Isaac don't tickle your fancy though, you may want to wait a little while for more stock to become available anyway while they flesh the library and eshop out a bit, because the barebones feel of the system UI and the eshop is the worst aspect of the system thus far. Otherwise it's a wonderful and brilliant system, probably Nintendo's best in a really long time.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:29 PM   #96
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Redditor notes that his/her Switch is bending. Others start to as well.

Yet another reason to hold off on a first-generation Switch, it looks like:
  • battery cannot be removed without moderate disassembly
  • poor WiFi/Bluetooth signal connection from left JoyCon
  • screen scratching caused by frequent removal from, return to dock
  • frame bending caused by ???
Old 03-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #97
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's been about a year now since the Switch came out, and there is still no option to back up your save data nor are there any announced plans to support on-cartridge saving with certain Switch games.

Which brings us to Pokémon, and the question of what Nintendo or Game Freak, either/or, are going to do to combat the inevitable ghoul that is players losing the creatures they poured thousands of hours into to breed, EV train, and level up.

Based on some shallow Googling, it seems like the general consensus right now is, "Buyer beware: don't buy a Switch if you're going to later regret it when your console dies and you lose all of your save data." Millions of happy gamers are still buying in, praying that they won't be the unlucky few who suffer catastrophic hardware failure, but it's easy to find the anecdotes on Reddit and gaming journalism websites of people who lost everything when their console bricked.

Do you think we're due for a Switch 2.0? There's been a lot said about Nintendo's mishandling of USB-C and how things that would ordinarily be perfectly safe can brick a Switch. Then there's the console warping discussion from last year. Should these and other issues be addressed with a mid-cycle hardware revision? Or do we only want/need software patches for the time being and so long as we get our ability to back up save files we're good? What's the general attitude here on UPN? Should someone who hasn't purchased a Switch yet hold out for an announcement this year of a hardware revision coming late 2018 or any time 2019? Or should they take the plunge and buy a Switch now?
Old 03-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #98
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I think with the pioneering idea of the PokeBank, the future seems obvious: Nintendo's going to handwave any technical problems with their device by expanding cloud synching for pretty much everything.

From what I've read of both Nintendo and Gamefreak, though, they seem like very old dogs learning new tricks at a snail's pace. Clearly, they can't be Google, Amazon or even Activision, but re-engineering the Switch seems too risky in a world where Japanese content creators feel immensely pressured by mobile gaming. Take this Junichi Matsuda quote on why BF was excluded from ORAS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junichi Matsuda
[we wanted] a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past.
In the smartphone world, Samsung is releasing a high-end platform every year, as well as 2-3 mid-range platforms, all of which are capable of playing the same games. Nintendo couldn't even meet demand for its freaking NES Classic. If you're going to see a life raft, it'll be in the form of software or server access.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #99
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
It's been about a year now since the Switch came out, and there is still no option to back up your save data nor are there any announced plans to support on-cartridge saving with certain Switch games.
As of tonight, Nintendo has announced that save data will be able to be backed up to the cloud as part of the Nintendo Switch's Online service.

Source

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games