UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Bought Warhammer 40k: Spees Mehreen

BORKED

My only regret is having watched this first, knowing that the actual opening of Space Marine will not be nearly as awesome.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #27
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Started

No More Heroes
Oh wow, this is totally not what I expected it to be, and I mean that in a bad way. The combat in this game is stale. The gameplay simply consists of block, attack, block, attack, block, attack, rinse and repeat until the enemy dies. I can't see this game as anything more than a watered down Godhand.

Dark Souls
I might not play too much into this. One thing I hate is having to use caution. Another thing I hate is being constantly forced to use melee even though I'm a freaking mage! I mean, the gameplay is indeed very nice, and I like the atmosphere/plot. However, this game is just too damn unforgiving of mistakes. I can't stand having to turtle my way through enemies and having to save my magic because I can only use a certain amount until the next bonfire. I'll see how far I can go without rage quitting.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dead or Alive 4:
Seven years after its release and two years after purchasing it off of eBay for $15, I finally got the chance to play this game for the first time in my life last night. I'd been avoiding spoilers on the game's plot for seven years now. Pretty much everything was fresh and exciting for me. Unfortunately, the game doesn't hold up to seven years' worth of high expectations. ^^; They really stepped up the A.I.'s abilities in this game, to the point that they're almost super-human in some of the stages (like Kasumi vs. Kasumi end boss). In other stages, the A.I. remains as easy to beat as ever -- something of a disappointment in some of the final matches (like Hitomi vs. Hitomi's end boss). The ending movie files are a little too silly, something I guess I'd forgotten the DOA series has always been plagued with ^^;, but ... complaints aside, it was really great fun to finally be able to play this.

Spoiler: show
My first character was Kasumi. Her end boss fight, Kasumi vs. Kasumi Alpha-152, has to be one of the hardest final boss fights I've ever fought in a 3D fighter. I must have fought her at least eighty different times before I finally beat her. And the way I beat her was so cheap too: an endless string of L-trigger mashing because it was the one button I had not tried any combos with yet and I figured "Why not?" Alpha-152 got stuck in a pattern and I never let off. Spammed that thing and pretty much perfect-KO'd her.

I really enjoyed Kasumi's story mode though. The cutscene preceding the Kasumi vs. Ayane fight was amazing and the fight itself just very beautiful. The cutscene before the Kasumi vs. Helena fight was very surprising. I had no idea Helena had gone and become the villain in our story! I thought she was trying to take DOATEC back from Donovan!? Instead it looks like she ended up joining him and was working to take out the Mugen Tenshin clan!? When she pulled that gun on Kasumi, I was like "Noooo! " When Ryu showed up to save his beloved his imouto his best friend's little sister , I was like "HELL YES! "

I was a little disappointed to discover that a Kasumi Alpha clone was the end boss of this game. It was also kind of disappointing because Alpha-152 looks like it's ripped straight out of the Metroid Prime series: it's basically what you'd get if you took Kasumi and Dark Samus and merged them together. But that disappointment soon gave way to awe and respect which in turn soon gave way to frustration as the impossibly difficult A.I. kept countering my every move, throwing my every counter, and attacking my every throw. An impenetrable defense with sickeningly powerful punishments for failure.

Of note, Kasumi was really revamped in DOA4. It looks like they let her keep a lot of her signature moves but they also gave her some of Ayane's playtoys (like the spinny-backflip-high-jumpkick move) and some other Ayane-esque features. Probably in an effort to make Kasumi more appealing to people who main Ayane but wish they could use Kasumi too. *shrug*

My second playthrough was with Ayane. Ayane is/was my main all through DOA2:U, having been my secondary main in DOA3, so my ability to use her was a lot better than my ability to use the revamped Kasumi. Story Mode for the most part didn't present any problems until the final boss. Once again, it was Kasumi Alpha-152. This time, however, I only lost four or five times before defeating her using good ol' traditional ass-whuppin' tactics. Clearly Kasumi Alpha-152's programming for the vs. Kasumi fight is quite different from her programming from any of the other fights she's in. If not, then I guess it just goes to show that the A.I. is a much better Kasumi than I am.

Enjoyed the final video, minus the silly song , since it showed Ayane doing some of her kickass mystical ninpou and just being awesome in general.

Third playthrough was with Hitomi. For me, the highlights here were Story Mode stuff. Enjoyed seeing her trying to fetch "Ein" (Hayate) and bring him home. Absolutely loved her final boss fight (vs. Hayate) where she's all "Onii-chan, let's go home! " and he's all, "Uhh ... you know, I'm not really your onii-chan, and I kinda sorta have a life here. ^^;" "If I beat you will you come home? " "Uh ... sure? " Oh boy. Don't make promises you can't keep, Hayate.

Fourth playthrough was with Lei Fang. Like Hitomi, she didn't really have many changes to her playstyle between DOA3 and DOA4. Even though she's really meant to be used as the Queen of Countering, I always end up using Lei Fang the way one uses Tina. She's got some pretty damn powerful elbow or shoulder shoves that send the enemy flying. Abused those quite a bit, along with her roundhouse stomp, and achieved victory. Her ending video was ... ¬_¬ ... Team Ninja being Team Ninja. I guess maybe I've gotten too old for DOA if I'm complaining about a comedy T&A video like this? But if DOA5 promises to be more serious, then given what I saw in videos like Lei Fang's last night, I might be more onboard than I'd previously thought myself to be.

I didn't have enough time/success with other characters to complete any other story modes, though I did make it all the way to Brad Wong with Kokoro (I just couldn't use her properly and didn't want to invest the time to learn how).

Biggest graphical complaint I have with the game has got to be the hair. It looks terrible. It looks very ropey and it ridiculously passes straight through characters' shoulders. I'm pretty sure DOA2:U has better hair physics than this, so there's really no excuse for the atrocities I saw in 4 last night.

But all in all, I had fun. Worth the $15 I spent? Absolutely. Worth the $60 it would have been at launch? I'm not sure I can say "yes," even as a long-time fan of the franchise. Could just be nostalgia glasses, but I feel like DOA2:U was the best game in the series. Would it be worth buying a 360 just to play this game? I'm not certain it would be. So now that I've had my chance to play it, I guess I can forget about needing to get a 360.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #29
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Persian

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Dark Souls
I might not play too much into this. One thing I hate is having to use caution. Another thing I hate is being constantly forced to use melee even though I'm a freaking mage! I mean, the gameplay is indeed very nice, and I like the atmosphere/plot. However, this game is just too damn unforgiving of mistakes. I can't stand having to turtle my way through enemies and having to save my magic because I can only use a certain amount until the next bonfire. I'll see how far I can go without rage quitting.

I play a mage too, and the start is a little rough. However as you get more attunement slots and stuff, you can go nuts with spells. However I do have a magic weapon that I use to slicey stuff too.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring
Caught up in the FFVII hype I went an got this old PS1 fighting game I rented many times but never could buy!

Beat!
Final Fantasy VII
- covered in anniversary thread
Drill Dozer
- covered in last years thread
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #31
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Started

No More Heroes
Oh wow, this is totally not what I expected it to be, and I mean that in a bad way.
I WILL SHIT DOWN THE HOLE I WILL TEAR IN YOUR CHEST CAVITY

That said, yeah it's a spectacle fighter. Like something like God of War how much the game resonates with you will depend on how much the spectacle/absurdity grabs you.

Also,

Beat: Spees Mehreen (~5.5 hours)

BORKED

Not a bad action game. Anticlimactic final boss "battle" though.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #32
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Started
Suikoden: The Woven Web of the Century (Japanese)

Wow, it's really been a while since the last Suikoden too. o.o
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Half-Life 2:
The last time I signed in to Steam was apparently August 13, 2010. I know this because that was the time stamp on my last save file when I signed in today, on a whim, to go ahead and complete Half-Life 2. What is it with me and abandoning games at the 90-99% completion mark, I just don't know, but I was already halfway through invading the Citadel with Barney when I last apparently played. So, three de-orbings of energy barriers, five or more metal daddy long legs, and an electromofied gravity gun later, I got to the final boss fight of the game and ...

... wow. After all the trouble the first one gave me *shakes fist at glitch*, this was surprisingly easy. I honestly feel that this was more intuitively obvious and simple a boss fight than even the one in Portal was. Kind of surprising, really. I had been dreading this final boss fight but before I knew it things were exploding and a G Man was showing up and the credits were rolling.

Theoretically I guess this means I should move on to Half-Life 2 Part 1 now, but ... , I think I'll pass. Maybe in another two years.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #34
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
- Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
Yay I finally get to play a true blue visual novel and win the guy of my choice! Or not of my choice currently cause I'm getting hearts from the one guy I don't want >.<;

Beat!
Fate/Extra
- 42 hours 7 minutes
No one told me who to pick so I just went with Saber. I grinded alot an won the game pretty easily. Game was fun overall and Saber being someone else entirely in the game was pretty cool. Really coulda used more monster variety cause reskinning some of them 2-3 times in a game this "small" seemed lazy. Gotta replay this for sure later on ta see the other servants stories & the Rani path!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #35
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
- 7 hours~
I'm a failure! I didn't get any romance and the ending was all kinds of depressing! Thats what replays are for but it still made me sad. Didn't really like the drastic time jumps cause it seems like development was uneven? idk maybe it was the results of my poor choices. It was a nice lil story with thankfully only a few really creepy/icky bits. Will play again! Oh and I liked this games shinsengumi way better then Kenshins!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #36
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Thought I was getting bored with video games, due to having a backlog of shit that I don't play. Turns out, not so much:

Playan: SMT: Devil Survivor 2 (~10 hours)

I loved the original Devil Survivor, even though the story skirted dangerously close to the edge of going full retard by the end (lol Cain and Abel). That said, I like their take on the SRPG formula even if I'm beginning to see the contours of the derpy philosophical conflict that's brewing (although there's still a ways to go, so who knows what the ridiculous left turn will be).

Beat: Mass Effect 3 (25+ hours)

Maybe this belongs in the Mass Effect 3 thread, but spoilers below (so don't cry like a bitch if you click the button and you have the story ruined):

The story is otherwise alright (closes some character arcs satisfactorily, isn't stuck in the COMMANDER SHEPARD, SPACE THERAPIST rut that ME2 sometimes bogged down to), but the ending definitely stinks somewhat of Bioware writing themselves into a corner.

Last edited by Blastoise; 03-11-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #37
Acio29619
Thunder Badge

So I let my cousin borrow my Wii and Skyward Sword and in return he let me borrow his PS2 with FFXII. So far I am really liking how this game plays for the most part. I don't fully understand the story though but that's probably because I didn't pay much attention in the beginning or something.

Sometimes I feel the game can be a bit vague in what I am to do or where to go next, though all I usually had to do was wander around. The bosses seem kinda hard to me and I've had to battle nearly all of them multiple times, tough a bit of grinding and knowing what they will do helps me bring me down. Save points sometimes seem scarce, but since they fully recover you it would make the game easier.

I don't know how I should be filling out each individual's License Board. Is it possible to fill it all out save the quickenings and Esper tiles? And how long is the game roughly story wise? I'm at the part where I have to go to the village south of Giza Plains to find out how to use the Dawn Shard.
Acio29619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #38
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acio29619 View Post
Is it possible to fill it all out save the quickenings and Esper tiles? And how long is the game roughly story wise? I'm at the part where I have to go to the village south of Giza Plains to find out how to use the Dawn Shard.
You're at around the halfway point of the story iirc. I think the official halfway point (if you're someone who does every possible sidequest and such) is after the events on Mt. Bur-Omisace, which you've yet to reach, but where you are right now, I think, is about halfway through to the end of the game from my own experience.

As for filling out the license board, iirc yes you can potentially fill out everybody's license board. However, it'd take a ton of grinding to do that. I think when I beat the game everyone's license boards were ~75% complete. Everybody had (almost) every single block in the top half, and everybody had about half of the blocks in the bottom half.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #39
Acio29619
Thunder Badge

Okay thanks. I don't know how much longer I'll have the game so I should try to play as much as I can. I don't think I'll touch the side quests then if I find any.

Now I feel better about how I have been filling out the board, cause I had no clue how filled it should be as I went on in the game.
Acio29619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #40
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Depending on what point in FF12 you're in, you can actually program the gambits to basically have your characters auto-grind themselves.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #41
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
There are a few games I'm looking at possibly getting. One of them is Tales of the Abyss; it looks like a nice jRPG, and you can never have too many jRPGs. Another is Sonic Generations. I've heard it's a good game, so hopefully it lives up to its reputation. Then there's Kid Icarus: Uprising. That may well be a LoZ ripoff, as far as I could tell, but I'd still go for it.

Also, I've just gotten into League of Legends, and it's pretty fantastic, I gotta say. I just unlocked Nasus, so hopefully I can use him instead of Ashe in some situations.

But what I'm really looking forward to is KH3D: Dream Drop Distance. That just looks awesome, and hopefully it'll continue where KH2 left off.

Then there are games I want to see announced. I'd like an Earthbound 3D at some point; I mean, it's been a while since they've done Earthbound games, so maybe they'll pull something like they did with KI:U. Also, where's the next Golden Sun game?? Dark Dawn leaves you hanging, and I want to see more!

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future

Last edited by Gemini Spark; 03-20-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #42
phoopes
Double Dragon

Just picked up the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. I want to play the games in chronological order, so I started with MGS3: Snake Eater first. I've played it for about two hours, and already enjoy the game. However, there is one little complaint I have with it: cutscenes.

I didn't mind the opening cutscene; I actually found it pretty epic. (And seeing "Metal Gear Solid 3, Snake Eater" on Naked Snake's helmet made me laugh) However, the first codex call... it drags. Horribly. A bunch of it is backstory between Naked Snake and the Boss, which probably will be neccessary to know later in the game. However, it just seems like a big info dump to me. I think they could have spread it out over the course of the game, instead of giving me everything in a 15 minute long cutscene.

Also, the first time after I saved the game, a five minute long cutscene initiated between Naked Snake and the paramedic. What was it about? Godzilla movies. I have no clue why the game developers would put something like that in. Personally, I found that it was just a waste of time. I really don't care about Godzilla movies when I'm playing a video game. Unless that was some sort of symbolism that will be present later on, I really don't think it should be there at all. If it was humorous, it would get a pass. But it's not, so it doesn't.

However, other than that, I'm really liking the game so far. Can't wait to play through the whole series.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, you've probably already spoilered yourself then about that game, but ... had you told us "I got these games and am thinking of playing them in chronological order ..." I'd have shouted "NO! " to you and told you to play them in the order they were published. Really, it's not an issue from here on out anyway since the chronological order is 3-1-2-4 so you'll be playing the remainder in proper order anyway, but ... you kinda just went and spoilered yourself on a big surprise in Game #1. Oh well.

I played 1 a few years back and enjoyed it. Moved on to 2 and, despite the criticisms from the fandom (and yes, I agree it's generally less fun than 1 was), I enjoyed it all the way up until the final boss fight. Never was able to beat that (I could only get ~12% or so of the way through that final boss fight) so I said "Fuck this shit " lol and put the series down. I didn't want to move on to 3 until I had beaten 2 ... and before I knew it, the weeks turned to months and the months turned to years and now here I am. But yeah. Despite the old graphics, I think you'll enjoy Game 1. And Game 2's graphics honestly aren't too bad. (For their time, I'm sure they were amazing.)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #44
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Chronological order

Oh. Well now that I've gone down that path, might as well continue. Chronological order according to Wikipedia is...

MGS3
MGS Portable Ops
MGS Peace Walker
MG
MG2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

So I'm going to play them in that order, I guess, since I've already started. I should've probably thought about playing them in published order a bit more, but I really don't like it when timelines jump around, except in extreme cases like Legend of Zelda, where the timeline really doesn't matter. I currently don't have Portable Ops, MGS1, or MGS4, but I'll pick those up when I get there.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No, this is one of those "I just watched Star Wars in chronological order" cases, dude. And you just spoiled Darth's whole backstory for yourself. [/way2go] But meh, what's done is done. You're young. Live and learn. Make this mistake with the MGS franchise and (hopefully) learn from your mistake and never repeat it again with other video game franchises.

Also, I assumed from your post that you were only going to be playing the Solid series. You specifically mentioned getting the MGS HD Collection, so yeah.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #46
Silver Wind
breezy metallics~

>Really, it's not an issue from here on out anyway since the chronological order is 3-1-2-4 so you'll be playing the remainder in proper order anyway, but ... you kinda just went and spoilered yourself on a big surprise in Game #1. Oh well.

I jumped right into MGS4 and loved it. Should I bother playing backwards?

Fizzy Bubbles
° ° ° °
° ° ° °
Silver Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I dunno. I haven't played 4 myself and have avoided spoilers on it since it came out after I'd already read up on the series and decided to try it for myself. My impressions from 1, 2, and what I know of 3, though, would lead me to believe that maybe you should (as you put it) "bother" with the other titles but that at the same time you probably shouldn't expect many surprises. Like ...

(spoiler for game 1/2, safe to click if you've played the first mission in game 2 or have played game 4)
You have no reason to suspect that Revolver Ocelot is alive or a major character when you complete 1. A lot of the operatives die in 1 and, as you find out in 2, they stay dead. But Ocelot comes back and it's all "WHOA! " For you, that whoa moment will be missing since, duh, you already know he's alive thanks to his role in game 4.

A lot of little things like that. But on the flipside, MGS 1 is where you first meet Otakon, so that could be fun for you. And MGS 2 is where you first meet Raiden (and good lord is he bright-eyed and optimistic in that title! ^^; ). So that might be fun for you to see as well.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #48
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Beat: SMT: Devil Survivor 2 (~25 hours)

So the central moral conflict in the game is between communism and libertarianism.

uh

Of the SMT games I've played though, that's at least more relatable than the standard "the demons are chaotic dicks, the angels are fascist dicks and despite the rest of this game being a metaphor for how shitty humanity is here's a nebulous middle road that cops out by clinging to vague notions of human potential" SMT plot.

Also, my attempts to complete the game with everyone alive are apparently doomed to failure:

First run:

Get Keita death clip, dick around too much and arrive to watch tsundere orphan go flying down the stairs. The only save I have far back enough to make a difference requires me to do the entire day over again.

fuck

New game+:

Save Keita, work on grinding rep with everyone I didn't reach fate stage 5 with on the first run. Neglect Io, reach day 6.

"Oh BTW if Io's fate isn't a high 3/4, she fucking explodes in a gory mess after being possessed."

At fate stage 1 with Io and not enough events to even reach spitting distance of 3, much less 4.

FUCKING FUCK

Last edited by Blastoise; 04-09-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #49
Itzatrap
Volcano Badge

Anyone get Xenoblade Chronicles? Got it myself but I want to finish ME3 before starting it and not sure if I should finish ME3 right now with the talk about the conclusive endings coming in the Summer I believe. Have quite a few games to finish though. More like 40. ._.;;; I know I should finish my backlog first but can't help getting games that I want to play and I will get through them...someday.
Itzatrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #50
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

.hack//Infection
- 15:54:01 (100%: 24:31:11)
Still a decently challenging game to this day. That I got game over 4 times shows as much! And of course its still fun! For the first time ever I played this while watching .hack//SIGN 1-5, reading AI buster Vol.2 Chapter 2, reading Another Birth Vol.1 Chapters 1-6, and of course watching Liminality Vol.1. Seeing how many stories fit together concurrently is pretty cool.

Up next AB Vol.1 Chapter 7, SIGN 6-10, AB Vol.2 Chapters 1-?, Mutation, and Liminality Vol.2!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games