UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
We've known this for a while? I seem to remember talking about it here already. Oh well.

I will be highly skeptical of a 2018 release. I think that date is a relic for when GF though Pokemon Switch was going to be a side game. They were holding back Gen VIII for when Nintendo released the next-gen handheld, which never came. The Switch became the hybrid platform to unify both markets.

If it does come out in 2018, I will be highly suspect of the game's quality.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The newest rumor is that the game is going to take place hundreds of years in the future and Pallet Town is a lost city underwater. -_- BAD TEENAGE FAN THEORY REEKS OF BAD TEENAGE FAN FICTION! The same claimant alleges that the new region is little more than one massive island, which -- after the backlash to the samey-ness of Alola's four islands -- I think is another massive red flag. But people are pointing to this curious line from USUM and saying that it is to Gens 7 and 8 what the backpacker and his mysterious idol was to Gens 6 and 7. So I guess we'll see. One thing's for certain -- if they ever did do a main series game set too far in the past or the future, the anime would either have to end or else go massively off the rails into made-for-TV territory. Can't very well have Ash be the lone survivor of a centuries-long timeskip. "Mom ... Professor Oak ... Mimey ... you mean they're all ... d-dead? "

FWIW, I wouldn't be against games that take us back to say Oak's youth or Red's adulthood. (See Sun and Moon for a bit o' the latter!) But it's the idea of a game that takes place centuries in the future that just seems sillily unlikely to happen. This isn't Breath of the Wild, teenage fanboys. No one's excited to see a Pokémon world where neither the sites nor the faces are recognizable and we're asked to celebrate that everyone we ever knew and loved is dead. This is the same fandom with such attachment issues that we can't decide whether we want a reboot of one generation or a second reboot of another.

In other news: if we do ever end up getting a Gen 4 remake at this point, what do you think they will do with Melissa/Fantina? Invented at a time where Pokémon regions had always been Japanese, Melissa hails from an English-speaking country in the Japanese and French versions but speaks French in other regions' versions. Now that we actually have a French region in the Pokémon world, will Fantina be rebranded as an English speaker in our games? Or will she be rebranded as a French speaker who hails from the Kalos region in theirs? Or ... will they simply perpetuate the schism, and have her keep speaking French in ours and English in theirs?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #28
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Should be Oak and Agatha as the player characters smh, at least transplanting ride Pokemon to Kanto would make more sense as "that's the way it was done 50 years in the past".

I'm skeptical this is Generation VIII though, which harkens back to what I said: GameFreak was probably caught way off guard by Nintendo's bait and switch.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Not even 24 hours later and we have an entirely different rumor that the fans now are taking as gospel truth. The newest rumor, as seen here, is of a game titled (get this) "Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu" and "Pokémon Let's Go! Eevee", a supposed remake of Pokémon Yellow with Go integration. Because a Yellow remake is what everyone was clamoring for, amirite?

Man, the fans are getting THIRSTY for news on the Switch game. The sooner the Nintendo Direct attached to E3 comes, the better for my sanity. I don't know if I can handle four more weeks of this crap.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hahahahaha, I didn't even notice the April 1 date on that rumor post. Yeah, this rumor's goose is cooked. WE'RE DONE HERE! Also lolololol @ this supposed screenshot of the game in action. Because it's totally not a bad photoshop of Lapras from SMUSUM with an Eevee plopped weirdly off to the top and right like it's hovering in space and not properly atop the trainer's head or shoulders. Uh huh. Got it.

Apparently the reason everyone is taking this new rumor so seriously is because Serebii Joe has posted it on his site and Twitter account and "Joe never posts rumors on the site until he knows they're confirmed!" I guess the news cycle has been so utterly desolate these past few months that even Joe has to desperately plug rumors to generate page views.

EDIT: Let me just say, for the record -- if this rumor ends up proving to be true, then I hope to God we learn more details that quell any fears or doubts I may have about the game's quality. A lot of people are pointing to the curious Eevee promotion Game Freak has done all 2018. (See Masuda's Twitter for examples of this if you're unfamiliar. They've had someone in a cute Eevee costume going to various companies and workplaces for the past 2-3 months.) I think that's much more likely to be soft promotion of a new Eeveelution than it is harder promotion of an Eevee's-your-starter new game, but hmm. Hard to say I can be 100% certain.

Last edited by Talon87; 05-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #31
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I figure it's unlikely we're getting anything at this point until E3.

The question is is it a remake or a new gen.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My money is on:
  • Gen 8
    • new region
    • new story
  • Fall 2019 release date
I will be pleased by a Spring 2019 release date but I can't imagine it being anything sooner than that. (I'm fairly confident that 2018 is off the table at this point.) Fall 2019 I'd wager is more likely though given the sorry state of the game's (LACK OF) development progress when Ishihara made his tacked-on announcement last year that sure enough a main series game was in development for the Switch.

However, I would be very happy with a Kanto reboot where they:
  • take us back to RGB Kanto
  • give it Switch-level graphics
  • give it Johto / Kalos levels of cultural detail (e.g. make Celadon City more obviously Shinjuku, make Saffron City more obviously Marunouchi, make Kanto in general more obviously Southeast Honshuu, etc.)
  • give it the Origins treatment story-wise (give a little more development to side characters like Mr. Fuji, lay down a little more foundations for lore, etc.)
  • create more for us to do during and once we beat Story Mode (be that a tongue-in-cheek postgame Johto, be that an island with a Battle Frontier, be that whatever)
I also would not be unhappy with a Kanto revisit where they:
  • take us back to Kanto
  • but it's not RGB, and this doesn't not take place during the events of RGB
but I think something like this is better served for an MMORPG, and is much harder to satisfactorily pull off in a stand-alone RPG where we're asked to play a new story with new characters in the same region. It worked in BW2, but because BW2 was a sequel and one which didn't have to live up to RGB's humongous shoes. RGB's already gotten a sequel in GSC, so it's hard to imagine a revisit that would not be a retread of Gold's trek through Kanto while also being better than it while also not being set absurdly far into the future.

Regardless, I don't think it will be DPPt remakes that inaugurates our time on the Switch. Nor do I think any other region but Kanto can cut ahead in line of Sinnoh. If it's not DPPt remakes (it's not), and it's not a Kanto revisit, reboot, remake, whatever ... then it's going to be an all-new game.

So it comes down to, is it an all-new game that's mildly crappy and feels like a spin-off? (Like a lot of today's rumors feel?) Or is it an all-new game that is properly Gen 8? I'm not interested in launching Pokémon on the Switch with a Ranger-like game of questionable canon value. I want something concretely canon and that we can all enjoy. And I think Game Freak will want that too for their first showing on the console.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #33
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
idk, normally by about this time in the year we know what, the title of the new games if they're for a November release? Quick bit of poking around indicates that typically we don't ever see the base starters till the first week of June and there's usually some bits and bobs for E3. They might have just kept it under wraps for a lot longer than normal because they're planning for an E3 reveal, or they're revealing it before E3 so they can throw some more info during E3.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #34
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm 100% banking my money on a remake of Kanto, that seems to be the most consistent agreement with a lot of these rumours. It's also the most conservative choice, because being too bold with a console like this has a risk of being a catastrophe (like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker).

Nintendo would love to tap in to the Go hipster/casual crowd but I don't think GameFreak is capable of it. Go's popularity has already peaked so you would be burdened with trying to recapture lightning in a bottle, and hint hint that bottle's name has the word "phone" in it. It's not going to happen with a console you have to buy.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Domains for Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu & Pokemon Lets Go Eevee registered by the same company Nintendo used to register the official Pokémon Sun & Moon website domain

Goddammit.

This is exactly what I was waiting for -- trademark/copyright registration, which has been our mega-reliable source for leaked information this past generation -- but I have to say I'm quite shocked that the leak proves real in the end. "Let's Go Pikachu" and "Let's Go Eevee" don't sound like version names. They sound like juice box flavor variants or a "Hey, You! Pikachu!" sequel.

As much as I adore Pikachu ... I'm probably going to end up on Team Eevee for this one, unless Gorochu is a thing now since that'll be fun to explore if it is. Eevee is just so gosh darn adorable, and there's never been a better time to force an Eeveelutions Story Mode run than with a game marketing itself as "the time Eevee was your starter".

But I sure do adore Pikachu. And if this game is really going to be a Yellow remake, then ... Man, it's gotta be Pikachu. Ugh. I'm so torn. (This is one of the reasons I'm so mad the leak was real! >.<)

Now the real question -- if other elements of the leak are proving real at this point, then does that also mean that the USUM photoshop we saw of Eevee riding with its trainer atop a Lapras is also real? In which case, either this isn't going to be Gen 8 (thank Christ) or else it is Gen 8 and Gen 8 has identical graphics to Gen 7 despite being on the Switch? If it's the latter ... maaaaaaaan, Nintendo needs to step in and force Game Freak to do something. I can't take another generation of soulless protags who wear a face mask that rarely ever emotes.

EDIT: One last glimmer of hope for someone who'd rather these fake-sounding titles not be the next main series games: "Didn't Stars also get registered though? Or am I mistaken?" "and Grey and Z IIRC, they make sure to cover their rears incase they want to go that route one day." "They did Delta Emerald too. They want to make sure they own the names in case they ever make them." Redditors with good memories here to save the day, maybe. But then someone else replies, "I believe so, but it ended up being a different person and not this company." Which I guess means we should still brace for LET'S GO! impact. >.< ^^;;

"The sheer asymmetry between Eevee and Pikachu was really the biggest red flag for me around these rumors." YES!

"This is going to be the most lopsided launch in history. 90% of people are gonna get the Eevee one." I'm not so sure about that, but yeah. Pikachu and Eevee are pretty lop-sided in terms of what each has to offer ...

Last edited by Talon87; 05-16-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #36
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Frankly, I am relieved. I'd rather a pair of games like this be made than a Gen VIII region fail.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #37
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Talon

I'm fairly sure Stars got registered by the same company and that never happened.

...but still. Man am I disappointed. I mean once they're revealed we'll see what happens and how they look but based off what I've been hearing with the whole Go integration I don't think I'm going to be a fan.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #38
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>catching Pokemon works like in Go

:joy: :gun:
Old 05-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What's so bad about Go-style capture?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #40
Emi

It's essentially Safari Zone style capturing without the gimmicks. That doesn't really seem that remotely fun to me when I already find the Safari Zone to be one of the worst things in Pokemon already.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #41
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
What's so bad about Go-style capture?
It's like trying to catch anything worth catching in the Gen 1 Safari Zone. Balls can miss, you can't weaken the Pokémon, only using certain items to affect your chances of catching stuff, and everything can flee.

Though honestly, I would be fine with them implementing some sort of Joy-Con feature that lets you use motion controls to throw Poké Balls, PROVIDED it is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. Ideally doing so would incur a catch rate multiplier of some sort to serve as an incentive to give it a try, but you'd still have the option of using Poké Balls the old-fashioned way.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #42
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

While I didn't particular care for the Safari Zone capture either, it made a game out of capture which is otherwise the most tedious (and frustrating) part of Pokemon games. Try not to kill the opponent while an RNG determines if the capture is successful.

You know the funny part? The anime had the right idea from day one. Knock out the opposing Pokemon so the capture is 100% successful. Better than burn/paralysis/sleep/freeze and low HP. Also makes much more sense than the other methods. How does throwing a rock and pissing off the wild Pokemon make it easier to capture, but feeding it food make it harder?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #43
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I'm assuming that by Go-style capture, they just mean that there's going to be some implementation of actually throwing balls at Pokemon. Outside of that, they might add berries for making the Pokemon easier to catch, but I don't think it's going to be literally a Pokemon Go c/p. Pretty sure it'll just be motion controls for throwing the ball at a maybe moving Pokemon.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #44
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'm holding onto the hope that this is something unrelated and not the new Switch game. Nintendo has registered random stuff before, and I think people are desperate for any info at this point.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Looks like we managed to survive. It's 2:57pm in Tokyo right now, Friday, May 18, and there still hasn't been any announcement or trailer out of Game Freak. Instead, Game Freak employee James Turner (yes, the Vanilluxe guy) has successfully distracted the entire fandom away from discussing Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee to discussing early Gen 1 beta designs for Pokémon. So ... with people saying that we've always gotten an official announcement within 24 hours of trademarks being registered for real Pokémon-related things, it's looking good for those of us not enthused with LGP/LGE that it might have been, after all, just another tall tale.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:14 AM   #46
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Oh for the love of god...

Ok, due to the beautiful graphics im anticipating, I will NOT boycott this, but...

Do we SERIOUSLY need a Kanto remake?

I mean....really!?

These games had their Red/Green launch, a special Blue game with sexier graphics for the time, the Yellow version based on the show, then FIRE Red and LEAF Green years later...

I mean... seriously...

I wanted to see a new region! There are so many possibilities! India, China, Germany, Spain, Brazil, etc....

Kanto has been done to death.

Nostalgia, and it's annoying, as EVERYONE who was alive in 1999 and was five or older had at least HEARD of Pokemon, and been aware of Pikachu, for example.

So now, along with the done to death English first opening, first Pokerap, Misty nostalgia... we are having Kanto.

Who knows? Maybe it will be a sequel that takes place in Kanto. Not that we didnt' have that with Johto in the post-game..

However rumors are suggesting that it's a Yellow remake.

My god. How lazy is this? Even if Nintendo is playing it safe with a tried and true generation, how many times can you order the same meal and expect to enjoy it?

Disappointed.
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As we await possible word on the Switch title, some things to remember from Game Informer's interview with Masuda and Ohmori last year:
  • when asked if the Switch title will be "a console-scale Pokémon adventure", they indicate that it will be
  • when asked if the Switch title will take place in "a large, open-ish world", they indicate that it will
  • when asked if the game will provide "40+ hours" of gameplay, Masuda says he's not sure about 40 ...
So even if it's a game of traditional length (~35 hours) or slightly shorter, according to their OWN words it ought to be both console-appropriate to the Switch and a large, open-ish world.

... So if it's neither of these things and tonight's news reveals we're really getting Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee with 3DS-grade graphics on the Switch, then ... ^^;
Old 05-29-2018, 08:19 PM   #48
Emi

I actually think the remake thing is rather obvious and we've all missed it.

They're remaking the games on order of release. First came the Gen I games (FRLG), then came Gen II (HGSS), and Gen III was the next remake.

What comes after RS? Fire Red and Leaf Green. They're probably going with this new idea to separate it from the other remakes, but if I'm right also, Sinnoh remakes are the next one, followed by HGSS remakes.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #49
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee confirmed. ^^;;; @_@
Old 05-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #50
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

lololololololololol
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて