UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #26
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Why did the Pikachu almost wipe me?
i mostly ran away from him until i did that "limited pokeball catch" challenge.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJackass View Post
i mostly ran away from him until i did that "limited pokeball catch" challenge.
Is there a reward difference for catching most of the Pokémon vs. all of the Pokémon?

Is there a reward difference for using all of your balls in battle vs. turning over your leftover balls when you're bored with the challenge?

Spoiler: show
I tried catching exactly one of each species (I thought the challenge would complete when you amassed a full squad of six, for some reason) and because I KOed my first and only Pikachu I kept trying for Pikachu for a good half hour or so. He never showed up. I got fed up and decided to call it quits for now. Handed over my balls. Got a nugget. And then everyone was released.

Would I have been able to keep everyone had I ran out of balls myself, i.e. by trying to capture tons of shit?

Would I have been able to keep everyone had I caught one of every Pokémon?

Would I have gotten something better than a nugget?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #28
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
As far as it's currently known talon, no, no and no.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #29
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Played the demo too, and completed it way too quickly for my taste. The actual demo part is disappointingly short... all the after play is nice, and fun for a little while, but all in all it's pretty 'meh' if you ask me. At least there's some free stuff to make up for that and, from what I saw on YouTube, some fun little random encounters
Old 10-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #30
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

It feels like oras demo had way more to it.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
It feels like oras demo had way more to it.
I agree. But I'm somewhat glad for it. It feels like they're keeping their cards closer to this chest for this one, which makes sense given that ORAS was a remake with only a few changes to the story and nothing else new whereas SM is brand new with never-before-seen Pokémon, cities, gameplay, and more. As someone trying to avoid spoilers, Alola has felt like I've been spoiled on more than I was on Kalos yet, at the same time, feels like there's been a lot less revealed this go around. (That or I just haven't been spoiled on nearly as much as I think I have.) With Kalos, there was the frustration that they had revealed near about every single new line before the games came out, and so even working super hard to avoid spoilers I was still spoiled on the likes of Pancham and Fletchling. This go around, I think I've seen the same number of new Pokémon and yet it feels like they haven't revealed nearly as much as they did for Gen 6.

I dunno. We'll see. Regardless, I'm glad the demo isn't giving away too much. I came to have fun with the starters (and was denied orz). I still want most of my city, music, and of course story discoveries to be made through the game proper.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Any reason to revisit the demo since we last talked here? Have there been any meaningful changes, any important content that became unlocked?
Old 11-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #33
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
The short answer is 'No'

I've logged in (almost every) day for a few minutes, but besides a couple of random encounters there's nothing. Nothing changed, nothing unlocked, nothing important happened. Only 1 timed event left to discover, which I hope has some connection with the release, but otherwise nothing so far.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:52 AM   #34
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I agree. But I'm somewhat glad for it. It feels like they're keeping their cards closer to this chest for this one, which makes sense given that ORAS was a remake with only a few changes to the story and nothing else new whereas SM is brand new with never-before-seen Pokémon, cities, gameplay, and more. As someone trying to avoid spoilers, Alola has felt like I've been spoiled on more than I was on Kalos yet, at the same time, feels like there's been a lot less revealed this go around. (That or I just haven't been spoiled on nearly as much as I think I have.) With Kalos, there was the frustration that they had revealed near about every single new line before the games came out, and so even working super hard to avoid spoilers I was still spoiled on the likes of Pancham and Fletchling. This go around, I think I've seen the same number of new Pokémon and yet it feels like they haven't revealed nearly as much as they did for Gen 6.
Part of this is that we know that Alola is chock-full of crazy shit like I KNEW BETTER AND DID IT ANYWAY and THERE ARE ONLY FIVE DAYS LEFT AND I DECIDED WHAT CONSTITUTES AS A SPOILER ON MY OWN TERMS AND NOW I'M BEING PUBLICLY SHAMED FOR IT (SHAME ME). Not spoiling, but like...you know it's crazy shit.

The full list of pokemon exists as a leak, but it really just served to make me wonder exactly what the fuck is in this game. And that is, imo, the sign of an ideal leak. Even if you're following spoilers and news, you're still going to be surprised and overwhelmed by this game just because everything is so new and different.

It's like when people were following the Sombra leaks for Overwatch. They knew what she looks like, what she does as a backstory, and what she wants, but not how she'll play, what her character is, or even what kind of gun she's going to use. She's a hacker...what does that MEAN in the context of a shooter? The more information was released, the more players felt in the dark about her. żQuién es Sombra? Who even fucking knows?

Last edited by deoxys; 11-14-2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: GODDAMMIT MAN.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:59 AM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Part of this is that we know that Alola is chock-full of crazy shit like {spoiler} and {spoiler}. Not spoiling, but like...
One of those is a spoiler I saw on a YouTube thumbnail months ago. The other is a spoiler I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. But both are most definitely spoilers!

C'mon, man. We're so close to release. Five days. Five days away. You can endure five more days of annoyingly having to spoiler tag and spoiler label every third word out of your mouth when discussing Pokémon Sun and Moon.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #36
deoxys
Fog Badge

Jesus Christ, really? We've been doing this for how many months and you manage to break the only real rule we've been enforcing with only five days to go?

I literally don't even know how to respond to this. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. You don't get to constitute what defines "spoiler" for other people.

Last edited by deoxys; 11-14-2016 at 03:30 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #37
satosere
Cascade Badge

I have to say the Sun and Moon music was on fire
Old 11-15-2016, 12:14 AM   #38
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
One of those is a spoiler I saw on a YouTube thumbnail months ago. The other is a spoiler I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. But both are most definitely spoilers!

C'mon, man. We're so close to release. Five days. Five days away. You can endure five more days of annoyingly having to spoiler tag and spoiler label every third word out of your mouth when discussing Pokémon Sun and Moon.
Oh sorry I thought that names were okay, especially considering this is the demo discussion thread for specifically Sun and Moon (which is probably why I only ate an angry edit instead of multiple angry PMs). My bad!
Old 11-15-2016, 12:52 AM   #39
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Oh sorry I thought that names were okay, especially considering this is the demo discussion thread for specifically Sun and Moon (which is probably why I only ate an angry edit instead of multiple angry PMs). My bad!
My bad for (probably) overreacting. I hadn't had my coffee yet, not that that should be an excuse for being an asshole. I'm just kind of tired of telling people about it, so I'm sorry. That being said... you're still a butthead. -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere View Post
I have to say the Sun and Moon music was on fire
Yeah the music is really good for sure, I'm just hoping the rest of the soundtrack doesn't wind up disappointing. XY had some of my most favorite music and every gen that passes I'm consistently more and more worried it won't live up to the expectations of past Pokemon music, but here we are
Old 11-16-2016, 11:55 PM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For lack of a better thread to post in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys
To clarify, this will be a full on, all out, balls-to-the-wall, hardcore, opening of the floodgates. We're not going to be holding anything back, because that would be incredibly difficult to moderate. All I can ask is that you please be respectful - don't go out of your way to spoil people, and if you must spoil story or hidden/secret elements of the game, please remember to tag your spoilers! But other than this, as far as content is concerned, avatars, signatures, etc, whatever, go wild. You've earned it.
Ehh, the way this is currently worded, I can all but guarantee you're going to get a repeat of XY signatures where some members of the community didn't understand how this:

could constitute a spoiler. Now to be fair, when XY came out, no one was putting stuff like this in their sigs until like December (~2 months after the games' release), but like ... the way you currently have your announcement worded, you're making it sound like the following is all a-okay the moment the chimes strike 12:
  • avatars and signatures of any creature (fine, I'll disable sigs and avas for a month, fuck you all ;p)
  • avatars and signatures of any plot twist-pertaining characters (e.g. if the new games' regional professor turns out to be the villain, someone can have his "IT WAS ME ALL ALONG! " reveal face for their avatar)
  • avatars or signatures revealing fandom-shaking news (e.g. that the games actually feature all previous regions in one save file, how cool is that, TOO BAD I SPOILED IT FOR YOU BEFORE YOU COULD EVEN GO TO WAL-MART AND COLLECT YOUR COPY, TROLOLOL)
Etc, etc, etc.

Given that creatures are in no way, shape, or form going to be up for concession, it seems, I don't much care about anything I just said because it won't be affecting me personally because I'll be disabling sigs and avatars until I beat the game. This is more about shielding you guys. In a classic case of "Be careful what you wish for," you've set awfully lax rules for the genie, I fear, and are going to get burned because of your minimalist terms.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:07 AM   #41
deoxys
Fog Badge

Fair enough point, I updated the post and clarified in the thread - I mean... I don't think we'd punish anyone who did that, it's not up to me anyway, but I do want people do know that if you do do that, it's a dick move. So, I made that more clear. It's a dick move... don't be a dick!
Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #42
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Re: Talon, When do endgame spoilers like the sig you linked become acceptable to post?
Old 11-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Re: Talon, When do endgame spoilers like the sig you linked become acceptable to post?
I mean, that's the sort of thing that is always debated. In my personal view, I feel like if we're going to say, "There comes a time where all spoilers become fair game ", i.e. there's never a case where you should have to use spoiler tags indefinitely, then endgame spoilers should be generally saved for:
  • a year after release if it's not a community's gathering point (e.g. it's the end of Undertale and you're on a Pokémon forum)
  • a month after release if it's a community's gathering point (e.g. it's the end of Pokémon XY and you're on a Pokémon forum)
  • special exception for the previous bullet: a week after Christmas if it's something that's popular with children AND is coming out within three months of Christmas (e.g. it's the end of Pokémon XY, which came out mid-October 2013)
But those time tables are arbitrary. They're just numbers I've settled on because they "feel right" to me. I can respect that not everyone is going to agree on the same time tables.

Furthermore, I personally reject the argument that "I'm free to spoil you once enough time has passed." While I acquiesce that people can be forgiven for spoiling things the older those stories get (e.g. Planet of the Apes's ending or Les Misérables's ending), fundamentally I reject the notion that "the older a story gets, the more fair game it is to spoil." It doesn't matter to me how old a story is. What matters to me is whether the other person has seen it yet, Y/N, whether it's a huge deal, Y/N, and whether they care about spoilers, Y/N. If something's a huge deal and I can't answer the other two questions, I personally err on the side of caution and spoiler tag it. Examples that would be considered silly by some include the big plot twist at the end of Star Wars Episode V and the big reveal at the end of Citizen Kane. It's okay to say something like "Rooooosebuuuuud" because that's not going to give anything away and is something repeatedly mentioned throughout the movie, but saying what is meant by the word "rosebud" gives away the ending and (in my experience, as someone who had it spoiled for him) ruins an estimated 50% of the movie's punch.

Thing is, not everyone agrees that there's such a concept as "no end to spoiler season; you should always be respectful that other people may not have gotten around to such-and-such story yet." A lot of people subscribe to the notion of spoiler deadlines, i.e. that there comes a point where the spoiler has entered pop culture, you can't stop it from doing so, and once it's there too fucking bad I'm going to say it without tagging it. (Easy examples include the two I just gave, Star Wars and Citizen Kane.)

And pulling back to the beginning, even if we all sit down at the "spoilers have to come with deadlines, Talon" coffee table, we're still not probably going to all agree on what exactly those deadlines should be. One year? Why not two years, or ten? Why not six months, or one? Why did I decide it should be one year before you can openly give away the ending of Undertale here? Where did this "Christmas rule" come from?

At the end of the day, spoilers are the kind of thing that most can agree are bad but few can agree on exactly the right treatment. They're a bitch.

tl;dr I personally would think you an asshat to give away SM's ending before New Year's 2017 seeing as we have quite a few ASB kiddos who are probably not going to get to play the games until Christmas because a mid-November release = the perfect Christmas gift for Mommy and Daddy to buy

EDIT: Double post, but allow me to put it to you another way, and to explain why I think the idea of "spoilers come with deadlines" is a hot pile of shit ...

Spoiler: show
Say someone is born in the year 2010. They're not really in a position to be reading or watching movies until they're 3 years old, let's say. Ignoring for a second that you lose a lot of your infantile memories pretty quickly, let's say that we expect this 3-year old member of society to start being able to consume stories in 2013. By the logic that spoilers come with deadlines regardless of any other factors (like the spoileree's age or the spoileree's desire to not be spoiled), you're suggesting that I can go up to any 6-year old alive today (2016) and give away the plot details to the following stories, and all because "they've been around long enough; sorry, Charlie, but you had your chance to see them unspoiled and you didn't take it " :
  • Star Wars, Citizen Kane, and any movie previously mentioned
  • The Shining
  • The Abyss
  • Blade Runner
  • Total Recall
  • you know what, just put all of Philip K. Dick down here
  • The Matrix movies
  • Indiana Jones
  • The Hunt for Red October
  • Forrest Gump
  • The Godfather
  • Doctor Zhivago
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Murder on the Orient Express
  • And Then There Were None
  • The Lion King
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Fate/stay night
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy X
  • the Ace Attorney games
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Fatal Frame II
  • the Professor Layton games
  • Lost
  • Orange is the New Black
  • House of Cards
  • Stranger Things
  • Game of Thrones
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Sopranos
And on and on my list can go, drawing from a wealth of books, movies, games, and television series. Most of my stuff is fairly recent (last century), though, so allow me one final list that takes a closer look at one of our oldest media, the books again ...
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • The Odyssey
  • The Iliad
  • Kokoro
  • Oliver Twist
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • Treasure Island
  • River Margin
  • the Sherlock Holmes stories
  • the works of Mark Twain
  • Crime and Punishment
  • The Brothers Karamazov
  • Robinson Crusoe
We'll stop here, too, but the point is that it's not like we only have the 20th century to work with: all of recorded history is at our disposal in this discussion, the wealth of recorded stories at our fingertips to spoil or to not spoil.

Were I to go up to a 6-year old child and yell out the ending of Harry Potter's sixth book, would we think me clever? Funny? Only if we were asshats. What does a 6-year old child know of the wealth of world literature? How can she have had an opportunity to have discovered even 10% of what most of us have read in our 20 to 30 years on this planet? It is unkind and it is unfair to spoil her --

And, I posit, it is likewise unkind and unfair to spoil the 30-year old and the 70-year old.

Just because you have taken the time to read a particular story already doesn't mean that everyone else who wants to has. Time is precious. Each of us prioritizes. "Will I watch this unseen movie today or will I read this unread book? Will I play this unplayed game or will I watch this unseen play?" You've only got so many hours in the day and so many years in a human life. You can't do it all. It doesn't stop most of us from wanting to try, though. And most of us, as a result, don't give up on stories we've been told we should discover but haven't yet. We just shelve them for now, hoping to get around to them some day.

Doesn't change the fact that I am willing to work with a community that believes in deadlines on spoilers. (It's called Earth. Deal with it. ) Just means that I, personally, find the argument that spoilers have built-in deadlines unpersuasive.

Last edited by Talon87; 11-17-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 AM   #44
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Furthermore, I personally reject the argument that "I'm free to spoil you once enough time has passed." While I acquiesce that people can be forgiven for spoiling things the older those stories get (e.g. Planet of the Apes's ending or Les Misérables's ending), fundamentally I reject the notion that "the older a story gets, the more fair game it is to spoil." It doesn't matter to me how old a story is. What matters to me is whether the other person has seen it yet, Y/N, whether it's a huge deal, Y/N, and whether they care about spoilers, Y/N. If something's a huge deal and I can't answer the other two questions, I personally err on the side of caution and spoiler tag it. Examples that would be considered silly by some include the big plot twist at the end of Star Wars Episode V and the big reveal at the end of Citizen Kane. It's okay to say something like "Rooooosebuuuuud" because that's not going to give anything away and is something repeatedly mentioned throughout the movie, but saying what is meant by the word "rosebud" gives away the ending and (in my experience, as someone who had it spoiled for him) ruins an estimated 50% of the movie's punch.
Spoiler alert: "Rosebud" was a reference to his gay lover's prolapsed anus after a serious fisting session.

that is not what rosebud was

Many iconic works of literature simply don't work under the rationale of a "spoiler." For example, it's impossible for me to spoil Paradise Lost for you, or Heart of Darkness, or Their Eyes Were Watching God. The last one has the entire thing laid out in the first few pages, and the story doesn't twist so much as meander. I could tell you HOW Tea Cake died, and that might be a kind of rude spoiler, but a.) you knew Tea Cake was gonna kick the bucket from Page 1 and b.) once you reach that point, the buildup is really really obvious.

For interested parties (and honestly this spoiler makes your understanding of the story stronger, rather than ruining your enjoyment; the book is a gem for its prose, and the plot is just a bonus):

Quote:
Tea Cake is bitten by a rabid dog when trying to save it. Janie is forced to shoot him in self-defense when he gets aggressive and violent. This ties in very neatly with the pervasive motif of fate and free will.

The buildup is REALLY obvious for this: You literally are reaching the end of the book, Tea Cake seems healthy and fine, he sees a dog, you're like "oh he's gonna get his ass bit." And he does! And he gets rabies!
Now, I would not want to spoil Pulp Fiction. That's a plot-driven movie and an experience, and you should watch it without knowledge of what's gonna happen next.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON