UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Samurai Jack Returns

People are freaking out and it's glorious.

I'm hyped too!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'm hyped, but I got even more hyped at the use of Carpenter Brut music in the trailer. Songs are called "Hang 'Em All" and "Division Ruine" for anyone interested (I love the latter)
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm a bit disappointed that this is only a 10 episode cour, and is the "conclusion" of the series. Given the comments from Genndy about Jack over the years there were a number of options the series could have taken before concluding things (although this route is definitely the most promising).

I hope, at least, we can finally get the answer for why Jack had to be tested like this by fate. His father didn't have to face the same level of adversity in defeating Aku the first time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #4
lilcipher
Pokemon Trainer

I'm wondering who all these assassin women are. I wanna know more about them! Also, I'm so glad that Tartakovsky has no limits so now he can make the show as badass as he wants.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I'm just sad that Mako passed and so we can't have properly original-voice Aku

If they can find someone who can mimic his voice I'm seriously gonna pee myself.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I'm just sad that Mako passed and so we can't have properly original-voice Aku

If they can find someone who can mimic his voice I'm seriously gonna pee myself.
They found a guy who does a pretty good impression.

...If it isn't obvious, I've been paying attention to the jack s5 teasers they've been dropping for a looong time.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Greg Baldwin is probably the guy. He's a good Mako imitator, and has assumed Mako's roles that he had outstanding (like Iroh in Avatar: The Last Airbender).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
I'm so stoked about this! Samurai Jack is probably my favorite animated series of all time, and this new, final season is looking to be amazing. It was interesting to see Jack cowering in a hiding place like that. Those assassins must be something else. Last time he was that freaked out was when he fought the Minions of Set (who are also my favorite villains in the entire show, by far).

And yeah, the person doing Aku is almost certainly Greg Baldwin. His Iroh voice was quite good. I just hope people aren't too disappointed when he can't do a spot-on impression, because you know some people are just salty like that. The truth is that with the drastic and continuing reduction of cigarette smoking rates, the ability to do a voice like that is only going to get rarer and rarer as time goes on. Even if they found a person whose general vocal qualities were identical to Mako's, chances are they won't have the decades worth of vocal cord damage and irritation that gave his voice that extra-evil quality (and ultimately took his life).
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
So, now that this is underway, what does everyone think? I personally have been incredibly impressed. It feels so familiar and yet somehow more mature and advanced at the same time, but without being unnecessarily grimdark. The cinematography is exceptional; Jack's run through the hallways in the ancient temple (watch it here) had me damn near on the edge of my seat! One neat thing I've noticed: the martial arts and fight choreography seem much more fluid and realistic; no more mindlessly hitting each other's weapons.

I'm interested to see where his relationship with Ashi goes. (Speaking of that, it sure as hell is bringing out the perverts and memekids in droves; the Samurai Jack subreddit has been utterly subsumed with shitposts. Not at all unexpected, but still disappointing.)
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

BORKED
Old 04-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
spoilers for the most recent ep below.

Spoiler: show
We've had a lot of plot holes filled over the past couple of weeks, from the identity of the horseman (the spiritual embodiment of honourable death) and Ashi's trust in Jack following her discovery of the truth, but today's ep was magnificent.

Between the truth behind Jack losing his sword (Aku corrupted 3 innocent adorable goats after destroying a time portal Jack actually got inside) and Ashi's showdown with the high priestess defending Jack (he was meditating), the series is starting to wind down but has kept me hooked. The one downside of the episode was the loss of that magnificent beard of Jack's following his triumph over the rage that has tainted his mind, and of course the return of the sword and robe Jack we all know.

Next week shows promise too.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Need to catch up on this. What episode are we on /10?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
We're currently on episode 7.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
marinouse

Great news. I love this TV show. This news did not know her, so I'll look and see it as soon as I find it.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
We're currently on episode 7.
2+ years later and I'm on this very episode. I dunno why it takes me so long to catch up on old stuff like this. I still have to beat Winnie the Pooh Major League Baseball, you know?

I didn't care for the scatman robot's "dick joke" in Episode 5 (the visual was enough, jeez) but otherwise this has been really good. Every episode is like one of the highlight episodes from the original four seasons.

Here's my speculation:

It was clear to me from the introduction of the seven assassins that one was being set up as Jack's love interest. I know Genndy tends to share perspectives with "us" and the idea of a 70 year old Jack with a 15 year old Ashi would be possible without the trappings of Cartoon Network ratings restrictions. So I'm expecting something, and it looks like this episode (7) is setting that up.

My expectations for the remaining episodes:

Episode 7: Jack-Ashi bonding, traveling to Aku's Castle
Epsiode 8: Jack kills Aku in the future
Episode 9: Jack and Ashi go back to face "The Guardian" who was super strong and whooped Jack, who I don't think Aku could beat. They use this portal to go back to the past.
Episode 10: Aku reverts back to the primordeal form ("Dai Aku"), Jack defeats him, marries Ashi and becomes new Emperor of Japan
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-09-2019, 06:01 AM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Okay, I finished this.

I'll give it a 9/10. It was perfect up until the last three episodes.

Episode 8: 3/10
Episode 9: 10/10
Episode 10: 5/10

The finale had some good ideas, but it felt really rushed with odd pacing.

I'm split over Ashi dying. For a samurai film, this kind of melancholic end is appropriate. But the logic doesn't really fit given that Jack himself isn't erased having killed Aku in the past.

I think it's ominous enough that if Jack and Ashi marry, Jack's children will be the spawn of Aku. It didn't make sense that when Aku died Ashi would lose his essence - the primordial evil that eventually became Aku could reproduce like this as well.

I was immediately struck that this was a similar end to Gurren-Lagann, but it was honestly more forced in that show than this one.

So yeah, I'm a bit surprised that the ending had some solid ideas but just dropped the ball somehow. I underline that metaphor with permanent marker - this wasn't a fundamentally flawed ending. There was a clever twist and the non verbal buildup had been gold.

You could have skipped Episode 8 - The Cringe and Episode 10 would have been better, but I think Episode 10 was just problematic.

Still a great effort and better than other stuff airing today!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #17
Izicomics
Pokemon Trainer

Did you know?

Did you hear the information about Samuria jack's new video game?
Izicomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #18
gaming002

very cool

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment