UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Pikachu Bump of Chicken x Pokemon

Everybody should watch this. That is all.

BORKED

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The beginning with kids walking on tracks reminded me of Stand By Me. Are they going out on a Pokemon journey to find Ash's dead dad?

The animation is beautiful though.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The beginning with kids walking on tracks reminded me of Stand By Me. Are they going out on a Pokemon journey to find Ash's dead dad?
"Stand By Me" has been referenced since the first games, so it's a callback as well. *still needs to actually watch the film*

That music video was pretty coo' tho.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I hate it. Every time one of these commercials airs people start complaining about the anime and how there's so much more "story" in a 2-minute commercial.

It gets under my skin because all of these commercials are basically a montage of nostalgiabait. There's no story, there's no depth. They're worse than the Generations specials, which were considered inferior to the ugly Origins special.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
Emp
Volcano Badge

I wouldn’t say there’s much being said about the story of this one – maybe the storyboarding / setup but there clearly isn’t a narrative to it. It’s a music video though, there’s not really supposed to be a story.

That being said the animation is gorgeous and I like the song too. I think people generally just enjoy seeing the Pokemon world depicted with such high production value.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

BORKED
Link

The whole video is pretty interesting, but the point relating to this topic starts around 11:04 mark. Apparently the vB code doesn't accept a start point so skip forward.

The viewer of the video (or any medium really) inserts their own narrative into the video, which could be something completely unintentional. So whoever made the video probably did have some kind of narrative, but we the view could have inserted even more into it. So where Doppel might not see any depth or story, someone else has interpreted the opposite. It's a pretty cool phenomenon.

I personally think everyone's internal headcanon is always going to be more loved than any true canon an author or game designer or creator of any kind can put out. It doesn't make that video worse in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboocorsola View Post

"Stand By Me" has been referenced since the first games, so it's a callback as well. *still needs to actually watch the film*

That music video was pretty coo' tho.
Neat. I did not remember that at all.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I personally think everyone's internal headcanon is always going to be more loved than any true canon an author or game designer or creator of any kind can put out. It doesn't make that video worse in any way.
Yet, that is how fanbases go from community to cancer.

Nerd sociology - for lack of a better term - is where one fan asserts dominance over another in two ways, by first

-exposing love for something
AND
-denigrating love for something else

It isn't enough to love something and share that love with others, there is a need to destroy and bully others who don't think like you do, and the endgame is a hivemind/circle-jerk where everyone masturbates to the superiority of the winning idea.

Case in point: shipping. There isn't just a 'best girl', there is also a 'worst girl' and shipping circles will argue over who is what until the heat death of the universe.

So the idea that imagination > something real will never cease to trigger me. Because I can't see inside someone's head, to me all I see is the denigration aspect. It looks incredibly childish which is particularly frustrating when there's a good chunk of bearded 40 year old 350 pounders typing those words alongside the actual children.

Last year, when the dumb Masters trailer came out, I saw nothing but complaints about the then-airing Sun & Moon anime despite said anime being in the midst of its greatest story arc in its 21 years of existence.

How repulsive is it that fans will look at a 3 minute commercial and declare that, in their brains, it's superior to a 16 episode story arc. Or the culmination of 21 years of buildup. Because they invented explanations for the vague, prolactin-stimulating nostalgiabait imagery they saw.

I don't really have the words to describe this. I just feel anger. I can't even visit YouTube at risk of blowing my face off looking at the comment section. And I can't appreciate stuff like this anymore because the fandumb response always comes back to the same tired complaints.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON