UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #1426
Heather
Naga's Voice

Well then, I guess I better start researching independent candidates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #1427
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Indiana: Lincoln's boyhood home.

Indiana: where the Republican Party died.

Kasich dropping out of the race is a clear sign that party stalwarts are abandoning ship. Lacking the means to force Trump to leave, they are leaving themselves.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #1428
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Kasich dropping out (has it been confirmed by an official statement yet?) was pretty much a given. He has no hopes against Trump for delegates and he doesn't have enough to force a brokered convention. Cruz dropping out pretty much signaled there was no way to keep Trump from not becoming the nominee.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #1429
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Kasich dropping out (has it been confirmed by an official statement yet?)
He was due to speak in D.C. but ordered his airplane turned around for Ohio. Reports say he plans to announce he is ending his campaign. He will speak at 5pm (a little under 2 hours from now).
Old 05-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #1430
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Ahhh ok. I didn't know if it was confirmed since its was (so far) not backed up by an official statement.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #1431
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

If your primary campaign is dead and you drop out, does anyone care?

Edit: I'm also glad I get to vote in the Beast vs. Smiler election in my lifetime.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #1432
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Which is which?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #1433
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Which is which?
It's a legitimately tough question, but I put Hillary as the Beast due to her being the craven, poll-chasing devil we know and Trump as the Smiler since I suspect his only real animating force is the belief that he should be president.

So basically when Trump's family starts dropping suspiciously in sync with his poll numbers I won't be surprised.

Edit: also I ruined the joke and spoiled a large part of Transmetropolitan so whoops

Last edited by Blastoise; 05-04-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #1434
Heather
Naga's Voice

Can we stop for a second to appreciate politics tweet of the year 2k16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #1435
deoxys
Fog Badge

Have a sneaking suspicion Kasich was made an offer he couldn't refuse.

I'm just shocked at the sudden change of rhetoric. Before Indiana it was Ted and Kasich staying in no matter what to contest the convention and broker it. After Indiana, they both drop out.

I also expect this to really help Sanders in remaining states with open primaries. A lot of Trump supporters will swing to vote for Bernie now that their man is all but crowned.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #1436
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I also expect this to really help Sanders in remaining states with open primaries. A lot of Trump supporters will swing to vote for Bernie now that their man is all but crowned.
Would be interesting to see if and how this happens in any of the primaries it can still occur in, it would really boil down to whether they see Hillary or Bernie as a bigger general election threat. They may prefer a Trump v. Clinton match up as they could see it as the better chance for him to win.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #1437
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I doubt it. If polls showed that Trump beats Sanders in the 1v1, then sure, but it's the opposite.* There's no point in helping the man who beats your man win his fight. Current polls show Trump losing to both Clinton and Sanders, but the gap with Clinton is smaller, and so if anything a Trump supporter would be likelier to vote for Clinton than for Sanders.

On the flipside, someone who absolutely abhors Trump and doesn't like Clinton would be likelier to vote for Sanders than Clinton since, like I just said, Sanders' victory margin tends to be higher in the 1v1s with Trump than does Clinton's.

* Click on the thumbnails below for full-size images of the latest polls for Clinton vs. all three and Sanders vs. all three.

1. Clinton beats Trump and Cruz while losing to Kasich.

2. Sanders beats all three.

3. Clinton beats Trump by 7 percentage points according to Fox News' own poll.

4. Sanders beats both Trump and Cruz by nearly double the amount Clinton beats them.

You can interpret the data however you like. As I see it, the data shows us:
  • that Trump and Cruz are generally seen as odious by the American people
  • that Clinton is disliked enough for liberal independents to flip over to the Republican side just this once and vote for Kasich (Sound familiar from this very thread?)
  • that Republicans and independents alike prefer Sanders to Clinton
  • the above bullet point coupled with the observation that Clinton is still beating Sanders in the primary race and that she tends to fare better in closed primaries than open ones, all of this tells us that Hillary Clinton's support emanates from registered Democrats
The polls would support Sanders claim to being the "people's pick" given that he is the only candidate who beats all three Republican candidates (pre-May 4) and he is the candidate who defeats Trump more soundly. But at the end of the day neither the DNC nor Hillary Clinton care. This was ever intended to be Hillary Clinton's sweet 16 bus to the White House, and we're going to see that loudly and clearly come California.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #1438
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Cruz dropping out after Indiana is one thing, but both him and Kasich within 24 hours? Something is going on behind the scenes. Either a huge chunk of the more mainstream party has given into the idea that Trump is inevitable (and so Cruz and Kasich have been basically told that even come a contested convention, they've no chance) or the #NeverTrump brigade have something else up their sleeve that benefits from those two getting the hell out of the way. I don't see either just rolling over and backing Trump at this late stage; Kasich has known for ages he's an also-ran and a contested convention is his best chance, nothing's changed for him, and despite Cruz's loss in Indiana he's way too much of an idealogue (and by all indications had a very strong convention floor game prepared) to give up to someone who's been historically pro-LGBT and only tokenly religious.

In other news, Trump has managed to make me agree with David Cameron on something.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #1439
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Cruz dropping out after Indiana is one thing, but both him and Kasich within 24 hours? Something is going on behind the scenes. Either a huge chunk of the more mainstream party has given into the idea that Trump is inevitable (and so Cruz and Kasich have been basically told that even come a contested convention, they've no chance) or the #NeverTrump brigade have something else up their sleeve that benefits from those two getting the hell out of the way. I don't see either just rolling over and backing Trump at this late stage; Kasich has known for ages he's an also-ran and a contested convention is his best chance, nothing's changed for him
I'm not so sure. Kasich could probably justify staying in as a spoiler with his delegates (and the subsequent influence it would grant) so long as there was one other candidate who could plausibly stand against Trump (if only as a long shot): with Cruz gone and the hilarious gulf between his and Trump's delegate counts his only legitimate chance would involve the party equivalent of a coup d'etat (which would most likely be a pyrrhic victory and sink any Republican hopes for this year anyways).

Quote:
and despite Cruz's loss in Indiana he's way too much of an idealogue (and by all indications had a very strong convention floor game prepared) to give up to someone who's been historically pro-LGBT and only tokenly religious.
Trump's nomination strikes me as probably the strongest indication you can use to mark the religious right's influence in the GOP at an ebb (or an indicator that most primary voters feel enough financial pressure in their personal lives that who's buttfucking who has become a secondary concern at best). Not to mention that (legal, national) momentum is in the pro-LGBT direction at this point, so anyone sticking to their guns against it is either raging against the dying of the light or playing to constituents in the deepest assholes of the South.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #1440
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The Republicans have to acknowledge Trump's voter base. They've tried to pretend they'll go away, but when Trump started to pull in numbers greater than 30% (which was for a long time the limit of his appeal) the continued resistance began to break the illusion of the Republicans as a homogenous entity, with the loudest voices belonging to the evangelicals and elites.

If the party continues to fight Trump, it'll destroy itself. So they've acquiesced, but are unsure of their next move aside from that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #1441
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

BORKED
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #1442
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

>Narration claims moderation is a personality trait
>Flashes images of Obama and Hillary

oooookay, time to pause and watch the baseball game!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-06-2016, 06:16 AM   #1443
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Obama is a super moderate.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #1444
Mercutio
Banned

He's also led a moderate republican administration.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #1445
Connor
Flashbacker

If that is really how people see being moderate then I am really worried for America. What that spells out to me is that Americans wanting a moderate President want someone who will bend over backwards for a lot of things.

I don't like Trump but that video didn't really sit well for me.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #1446
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
If that is really how people see being moderate then I am really worried for America. What that spells out to me is that Americans wanting a moderate President want someone who will bend over backwards for a lot of things.

I don't like Trump but that video didn't really sit well for me.
I don't think people necessarily think this is what a moderate politician is, I just think this is what "moderate politics" has become - someone who is willing to compromise and not going be stubborn-- and unwavering.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #1447
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

The problem is that party divisions, at least as the general public sees it, has boiled down to Republicans being the angry Bible thumpers who deny climate change and oppose change at all and Democrats as communist hippies who want to undermine the American way of life by complete subversion. Thus, a moderate is viewed as someone who can balance "progressive" thinking with making concessions to the right wing so that they don't complain. That's how I see it, at least.

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #1448
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If that's the running definition of moderate, it explains why Obama's presidency has largely been one of un-accomplishment.

I feel like we've been down this road before, but since the conservative revolution, the flavour of politics in the US has been to get in power, spam passing laws, get some networking cred and go on a speaking fees or consulting binge. So if you're a "moderate", someone willing to compromise, you're facing an electorate and congress that does not believe in compromise. You will go nowhere.

This is a major shift in ideology from how the US was founded up until the New Deal, I think, although it took some time to be fully mainstream. We still had the veneer of a compromise willingness through Ford.

This article does a bang up job of summarising it.

Europeans, this isn't the American you're looking for.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #1449
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Obama's presidency has largely been one of un-accomplishment
lol
Old 05-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #1450
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Bring the country out of the worst recession in years, skyrocket LGBT rights, even have a small hand in toning down the war of drugs, manage to introduce at least a checkpoint on the way to single-payer healthcare.

Come on Dopple.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate