UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #76
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morg View Post
You can download installers for Windows, Office, and all kinds of software for free from Microsoft. It's the license key that you actually have to pay for. I imagine that if your Wal-Mart PC has a legitimate Windows 8 key, you can reuse that same key when reinstalling the same OS.

Although, this article says the users had to shell out the $120 to get new copies of Windows 8, so results may vary? http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/19/tech...ish/index.html
I do not understand the source paragraph in the article at all:
"To be completely safe, you might have to reinstall a fresh new operating system. Lenovo customers have already paid for Windows in their laptops, so they will have to shell out another $120 for a copy of Windows 8.1."
What? Shouldn't that either say:
  1. Lenovo customers haven't already paid for Windows in their laptops, so they will have to shell out another $120 for a copy of Windows 8.1.
  2. Lenovo customers have already paid for Windows in their laptops, so they will not have to shell out another $120 for a copy of Windows 8.1.
How does it make sense to report, "Since you guys already paid for this product, you're going to have to pay for it again." The "because" part is what's really throwing me off. I can understand a world in which you're forced to pay for something twice. Video game consoles, dead pixels on an LCD screen: we've all been there. But what I can't understand is the idea that because you already paid, you're going to have to pay again. As if not paying in the first place would mean you're off the hook to not pay this time again either, or something. It just doesn't make any sense.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #77
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

They mean the laptops are factory installed with a licensed copy of Windows 8, which is included in the price of the laptop. It's implied that they only provided a "recovery" or "restore" disc that reverts to the factory image and is not a standalone Windows 8 installer. For the users to get a "clean" copy of Windows 8, they now have to go out and pay for one in addition to the cost of the laptop.

Or maybe the article is wrong and they could have just re-used the license key that came with the factory install. Maybe that $120 figure is just added in there to make it sound worse because journalism

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:07 AM   #78
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

From my limited experience with laptops desktop masterrace I think the price of the OS is included with the laptop price
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #79
Mercutio
Banned

Having deleted my Chrome profile and made a new one you appear to be right (so far!).

Thanks!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #80
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Smartphone shopping is heck.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 02-04-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #81
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So BT had some pretty major problems today but now is back up. My PC and phone have both got back on the internet fine but my Wii U is having issues. Connection test on the Wii U claims everything is fine, but if I try to open anything that uses the internet it says "connecting to the Nintendo Network" and then "cannot connect to the internet". Anyone else encountered a similar issue where the Wii U's connection test claims everything is fine but the internet won't work on any Wii U software?
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #82
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
So BT had some pretty major problems today but now is back up. My PC and phone have both got back on the internet fine but my Wii U is having issues. Connection test on the Wii U claims everything is fine, but if I try to open anything that uses the internet it says "connecting to the Nintendo Network" and then "cannot connect to the internet". Anyone else encountered a similar issue where the Wii U's connection test claims everything is fine but the internet won't work on any Wii U software?
Have you tried unplugging the Wii U from the wall and then plugging it back in? Have you tried unplugging your cable modem from the wall and then plugging it back in? You may want to try either of these. Sometimes when I lose Internet, an IP mismatch results between the cable modem and the wireless router. So I have Internet ... but it can't go beyond the level of my router. I usually just unplug both devices and then plug them back in after several minutes. It's possible that you're experiencing something similar. The Wii U might still have a security certificate going with pre-BT downtime whereas your modem's been refreshed with a new security ticket post-BT downtime, or something. Gotta sync 'em back up before you can use the Internet via Wii U.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #83
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Have you tried unplugging the Wii U from the wall and then plugging it back in? Have you tried unplugging your cable modem from the wall and then plugging it back in? You may want to try either of these. Sometimes when I lose Internet, an IP mismatch results between the cable modem and the wireless router. So I have Internet ... but it can't go beyond the level of my router. I usually just unplug both devices and then plug them back in after several minutes. It's possible that you're experiencing something similar. The Wii U might still have a security certificate going with pre-BT downtime whereas your modem's been refreshed with a new security ticket post-BT downtime, or something. Gotta sync 'em back up before you can use the Internet via Wii U.
Unplugged and replugged in the Wii U, no dice. Did the same to the modem, everything lost internet for the first hour after it turned back on but now all (Wii U included) seems to work again. I don't understand that in the slightest, but not looking a gift horse in the mouth!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #84
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Unplugged and replugged in the Wii U, no dice. Did the same to the modem, everything lost internet for the first hour after it turned back on but now all (Wii U included) seems to work again. I don't understand that in the slightest, but not looking a gift horse in the mouth!
Don't know what to tell you about the lost hour (and sorry for the scare!), but it makes sense that everything worked once you unplugged the modem since it forced a new security certificate (or whatever the correct technical description is for what ISPs do to cable modems) and I'm guessing there are protocols in place that force the certificate downwards (i.e. onto the downstream devices) once the modem has it. Something like that.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. But yeah. I can imagine you weren't very happy with me for that past hour. ^^; And I really can't say why that would have happened to you. Never happened to me in all the times I've done what I described for you to do. My only guess would be that because your ISP had been down all day and because everyone's households were soliciting new certificates or whatnot from the ISP that ... well, you got Internet back, but it was broken, and then I made you get offline and get back in line with the crowd, so you had to wait another hour before it was your turn again. Or something.

I dunno. 90% of what I've said here is probably wrong and going to make many tech savvy people shake their heads and face palm.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #85
deoxys
Fog Badge

The following all actually happened.

Deo's Tales from Tech Support, Vol.1 Ch.1 :

Quote:

Deo: Thank you for calling... how can I help you today?

User: Yes, my scanner isn't working.

Deo: Okay, what seems to be the issue?

User: My scanner isn't working.

Quote:

Deo: Okay, so next you're going to click the start menu button...

User: *long pause* Start menu... button...

User: Is that on my screen?
Quote:

User: I need you to have the telcom department look into our phones because they keep randomly dialing 911 and they are not very happy with us.
Quote:

User: I'm telling you. I'm being hacked. I'm being watched.

Deo: Sir, that's...

User: And I know I'm not very tech savvy but I looked up this thing. It's called SQL. SQL servers. And they are susceptible to hacking. That's what I read. Do we have SQL servers?

Deo: Well, uh, sort of...

User: And it's the same people who broke into my house overnight last year... and all they did is rearrange the furniture in my living room!

Last edited by deoxys; 02-23-2016 at 02:39 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #86
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Okay guys, I need some help.

I need to find an online store that stocks rare Samsung phones.

There was a phone released last year that was a short production, high-demand phone. It's relatively inexpensive in price when I can find old listings, but I can't find any new listings. The one store that was a lead is fresh out.

Basically, it has to be an online retailer that has a comprehensive catalog of Samsung mobile phones. And it can't be Overseas Electronics (the store I spoke to).

Anyone have any ideas?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #87
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I bought the quad-core version of my S4 Mini and the battery life is un-fudging-believable. It's been on constantly for 12 hours and only just dropped to 98%. Over a 2 hour period, the dual core version has dropped to 88% unplugged. Just wow.

With overclocking, the phone can reach the memory/hardware capabilities of the full-strength Samsung Galaxy S4, which was one of the incentives in getting it. But the phone needs a lot more hacking to get it into acceptable territory. Beyond what I'm capable of but it should serve as a starting point.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-28-2016, 01:03 AM   #88
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Is there any particular incentive to get your phone to that point? Its nice to have a great phone but there;s only so much you an do with phones
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 AM   #89
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Is there any particular incentive to get your phone to that point? Its nice to have a great phone but there;s only so much you an do with phones
Oh, sweet summer child.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #90
Heather
Naga's Voice

Okay, I need a little help.

I got the Turtle Beach PX24 headset a while back, and now that I have Civ V, I want to try to use my mic so I can use voice chat. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the mic to work-I have Windows 10, any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #91
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

So with the death of my old Windows phone, I've made the jump to Android. Recommendations for useful apps and shit? I get a kick out of setting up new tech exactly how I like it. Off the top of my head, a decent universal chat client that can cover at least texts, Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger would be nice (I use Pidgin on PC but it doesn't seem to exist for Android) but really any suggestions for decent apps you guys use a lot for whatever are welcome.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:32 PM   #92
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What kind of Android is it? The phone model and OS version helps a lot, since some apps I use on older Android might not work for the latest stuff.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #93
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

6.0.1 (marshmallow or whatever it's called), it's a Sony Xperia X.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #94
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hmm, I'm not familiar with Sonys. Give these a go then:

Ghostery Browser

Basically like Chrome for Android, but it isn't connected to the botnet and actually blocks trackers, ads and specific JavaScript stuff, so pages load a bit faster.

Line

This is a messenger app, but I don't think it's universal. The key is if you have a phone number, and are connected to the internet, Line allows you to place free telephone calls over their servers using VoIP. This is a feature none of the other chat apps (WhatsApp, Facebook, Viper, that one used by kids) have.

Chronus

More feature rich/customizable weather-clock app. I like it because the graphics are easy to interpret quickly than reading the weather.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #95
deoxys
Fog Badge

Not gonna offer anything groundbreaking or niche here, really, just some solid stuff that makes life easier.

Line isn't universal, but it's by far my favorite messenger app as well. Just putting that out there. My friends and I don't even text anymore, we just use Line to communicate.

Cash is a nice app, but it does what a lot of other apps do already: You can connect a bank account and instantly transfer money to anyone else with Cash, and vice versa.

Waze, obviously, a hands down for me. As far as map/GPS apps go, this thing helps you drive more cautiously by warning you of accidents, stopped vehicles, objects in the road, and hidden police speed traps.

I recommend looking into a password manager if you haven't one already. There are a lot of good ones, but some will create difficult passwords for you and you can keep them all in one place. It's a pretty good secure option to have for sure.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:09 AM   #96
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I bought an iPad (mostly for the identification data) and played around with it.

-it's heavy
-it's claustrophobic
-it sucks

The inability to customize it is unbelievably painful. The design is obnoxious, but so is Android 5.0+. It feels like a huge paperweight to me, but whatever. I got what I wanted.

I now have 5 Samsung devices, one Dell and one Apple. I should be able to start my own network with that, no?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-19-2016, 05:28 AM   #97
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I'll give those a look, thanks guys. On the messenger front specifically looking for a universal one because I'm locked into group chats (work, housemates, etc) on like four different chat clients already because people just set them up on whatever platform they use. Simplifies things greatly to have one "this is my talking to people app" without having to persuade large groups of people to all move to whatever I prefer.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #98
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Unfortunately this is the biggest problem with Android right now, the lack of a cohesive messaging app.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #99
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Could give Trillian for Android a whirl, however I'm unfamiliar with what it supports and the GooglePlay splash doesn't say what it supports.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #100
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Most seem to miss out on Whatsapp, which is one of the most important ones for me. Found one called Disa that does SMS, Facebook messenger and Whatsapp by default and has plugins for some others (but not Skype sadly). Alternatively there's one called Drupe I might try if Disa is a pain, but that requires you to have the normal apps installed to work (so I'd have to keep messenger, Whatsapp, Skype etc all installed independently on my phone which seems rather like a waste of space tbh).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc