UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-20-2016, 06:18 AM   #151
Mercutio
Banned

I forgot how underlevelled everything is in GS. And yet Swinub is still pants.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #152
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I played GS after watching Johto's early bits in the anime (where the power level of the gyms was more or less scaled to match Orange Champion Ash) and being shocked at how weak everything was.

Even Lance, the Champion, was a joke, and it felt like he was little more than an Elite 4 subbing in for the missing champ (which turned out to be true upon the return to Kanto).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #153
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm replaying Pokemon Blue, the first Pokemon game I ever played. Similar picks to that first run too (Bulbasaur).

I still say this game is thematically set in 1960's Japan.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #154
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Oh yeah that's a thing in Gen 1. The opponent gets infinite PP of the last move they have left.
AI-controlled opponents in Generation I get infinite PP, period. Learned that the hard way when I was battling an overleveled Mewtwo on the coast of Cinnabar Island, and I noticed it kept using Recover way more times than it should have.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #155
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm at Mt. Moon. My team consists of:

Level 20 Nidoking
Level 19 Ivysaur
Level 9 Magikarp
Level 5 Pikachu

No point in leveling Pikachu, right? Just Thunderstone it into a Raichu and go from there.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #156
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Couldn't hurt to level Pikachu up if you plan to use it. Save yourself some grinding later on. At the very least, couldn't hurt to get it Thunder Wave without having to use the TM.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #157
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Doesn't it learn Thunder Wave immediately upon evolution to Raichu, regardless of if you use a stone or not?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #158
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Doesn't it learn Thunder Wave immediately upon evolution to Raichu, regardless of if you use a stone or not?
Raichu doesn't get any moves by leveling up in Generation I, beyond what's listed for it as level 1 moves. The only way to get Raichu to learn Thunder Wave automatically upon evolution is if you evolved Pikachu at level 1. Level 1 Pokémon can't be obtained in Generation I outside of glitches.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #159
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I might end up working with it then. I don't have a Thunderstone, so I can't force it to evolve into Raichu anyway.

From what I'm seeing online, apparently am I wrong in thinking evolving early was never truly a thing in RBY? At least, the claims are at Level 100 all stats are the same. That doesn't seem right from the EV perspective, and from the actual game itself, I'm pretty sure having a Nidoking is better from a conquer-everything perspective than Nidorino.

Already, Nidoking is pretty gamebreaking, as I can sweep through almost all enemy teams just by dropping Thrash. In the early game I haven't faced many who can really hurt Nidoking much - I did face Misty and her water crew, but my Pokemon was already high enough level so that her super effective moves didn't do much (save v. Starmie). I head to Lt. Surge and Erica with impunity.

I'd like to build a unique team with this run, rather than one with simply a bunch of OU Pokemon. Something organic I think, so maybe Raichu will indeed end up as my Electric.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #160
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Gen I doesn't use EVs but a different system called Stat Exp. It doesn't matter if you evolve Nidorino into Nidoking early or if you wait (for some reason????), that stats will end up the same at Level 100 regardless. It's also why all Pokemon will have stats that look like 252 EVs, because there is no Stat Exp. cap. You can gain as much as you want.

Honestly I would just evolve Pikachu early. Thunder Wave isn't quite necessary because of Venusaur and Pikachu doesn't learn anything else of real worth in Blue.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #161
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

How does Venusaur make Thunder Wave not necessary? It gets Sleep Powder way later than it does in subsequent generations, and Toxic + Leech Seed are the status conditions of choice for Venusaur in Generation I anyway.

My personal opinion, even if Thunder Wave isn't gonna be a permanent fixture of Raichu's moveset, I'd level Pikachu up to get it just for the time being. Couldn't hurt. Pikachu gets it at level 9 anyway, it's, like, four levels you'd have to train it.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #162
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Raichu would definitely get Thunder Wave. It's very fast so there's no reason to opt not for the quick paralysis. It'll probably be my opener, but as I said I don't have a Thunderstone so I can't evolve Pikachu right now.

I gave Body Slam to Nidoking, who I intend to be my mixed sweeper. Current stats:

Level 36
Thrash
Body Slam
Mega Punch
Bubblebeam

I forgot about the bag limits and had to burn some of the more worthless TMs.

I dunno what I want to do with Venusaur. I don't really like having another poison type now that I've got Nidoking. I need a Psychic/Ghost but can't trade, so Alakazam/Gengar are out of the picture, and Hypno or Mr. Mime might be better options than Kadabra and Haunter.

Another thing that hasn't been talked about is Dragonair. Dragonite has that vicious x4 weakness to ice Beam, but for Dragonair is't just a x2 weakness. it stats kind of suck, but as the strongest pure Dragon in the game I wonder if there's some utility in it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #163
Mercutio
Banned

Not a fan of the forgetful Slowbro trick?

Currently using a Dragonair in Gold. It's trash. Evolve it.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #164
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

If you want a Psychic-type other than Alakazam, Hypno would have my vote, particularly for Generation I- that amazing Special Defense stat, in this, is just its amazing Special stat. And unlike Alakazam, it can use physical moves at least relatively well, and isn't horribly frail on the physical side of things either.

As for Nidoking and Venusaur, I don't think the Poison type overlap would be that big an issue. Nidoking's more meant for dishing out hits than taking them in any case. Besides, that Toxic + Leech Seed combo of Venusaur's is too good to go without.

Instead of Dragonair, why not Dodrio? It fulfils your need for Fly, it's fast, it hits hard, gets good STAB moves in Drill Peck and Tri Attack... what's not to like?
Old 09-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #165
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Not a fan of the forgetful Slowbro trick?

Currently using a Dragonair in Gold. It's trash. Evolve it.
Haven't managed to find a Slowbro yet. I'm aware of it but this run is more like, get the most powerful team available early to the player.

With Nidoking for example, it's the fastest third evolution Pokemon available to me early game, and the final evo isn't a slouch either. It's a lot tougher to build up Ivysaur to Level 36 by comparison, than just getting Nidorino to Level 16. Magikarp to Level 18 is pretty painful in this early game too.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #166
Mercutio
Banned

Magikarp evolves at 20.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #167
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Magikarp evolves at 20.
Yeah, but once you get Magikarp to level 18, odds are you'll have gotten two Rare Candies already, so yeah. One's in Mt. Moon, the other's in the backyard of that guy in Cerulean who explains the Gym badges.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #168
Mercutio
Banned

Ah see I view using Rare Candies ingame as just below the dishonour levels associated with using legends ingame - and just above the dishonour level of visiting the Pokémon Centre after you've started fighting the trainers in a gym.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #169
Emi

Dragonair gets Agility + Wrap for what that's worth.

Hypno is absolutely excellent.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #170
Mercutio
Banned

I don't think I've ever used a Hypno in any game. One of those Pokémon I kind of forget exists like Lilligant or Matill.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #171
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I've never seen a problem with using Rare Candies in-game. I mean, OK, Missingno.-cloned Rare Candies, I can see anyone having an issue with that, but if we're talking just the ones the game legitimately gives you, I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, personally. I've always used such Rare Candies.

That said, I never use legendaries. I mean, yeah, I was forced to use my Moltres as a Fly slave in my Yellow Nuzlocke, near the very end, but that's about it.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #172
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Quote:
Ah see I view using Rare Candies ingame as just below the dishonour levels associated with using legends ingame - and just above the dishonour level of visiting the Pokémon Centre after you've started fighting the trainers in a gym.
Jeez, by those lines I'm one of the most dishonorable players in the world! Granted, my honor system pretty much amounts to 'don't use anything that's not allowed in battle facilities' because I don't really care that much, but still...

#ChampionZapdos #ChampionUxie #They'reBothWeakerThanPsuedo-LegendariesAnyway

...#CrapI'mUsingHashtags #SaveMePlease

For what it's worth, both nidoking and venusaur are very much worth having around. They only share a weakness to Psychic anyway.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #173
Emi

and Ice, don't forget Ice.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #174
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Shared weakness to Ice isn't too bad. Look at my Red Version team in my signature- Fearow and Venusaur share a weakness to Ice, and I haven't had a problem.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #175
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
and Ice, don't forget Ice.
...I always forget that Ground is weak to Ice until it's too late. Please forgive me.

It's also more insignificant in nidoking's case since every Ice type in gen one is either dual-typed with something else you're weak to (lapras and Water, jinx and Psychic) or articuno, who you only need to worry about once if you so chose to do so.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON