UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 06-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #51
dirkac
uhhhhh

Although I'm not a particular fan of football, the Argentinia/Iran Match was exciting, and considering Iran's poor performance, I was really hoping they would underdog it out and pull a win. But of course Messi in extra time happened, which the commentators of my country even called undeserved.

But eh.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #52
deh74
Noted homosexual

Go Germany!

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #53
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
Although I'm not a particular fan of football, the Argentinia/Iran Match was exciting, and considering Iran's poor performance, I was really hoping they would underdog it out and pull a win. But of course Messi in extra time happened, which the commentators of my country even called undeserved.

But eh.
I'm sure you meant to say Argentina. Iran played pretty good and had the best chances. And I heard the commentary too and I fully agree with it. Iran did not deserve to lose that match based on permance. And based on chances they should have scored like 1 or 2. They had HUGE chances. Really undeserved loss. But yeah, Messi making the difference again, but having seen Brazil and Argentina play, they're both nothing fear for any decent country.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #54
Red Panda
head head bitch

BITCH.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #55
Talon87
時の彼方へ

And here I was ready to eat crow and congratulate the US on their 2-1 victory over Portugal.

But I'll still chew a wing or two. 2-2 is more than I expected out of them. Good job, guys. Even if Portugal didn't exactly play the greatest game ever, you still tied them up -- and led by one point for the final seventeen minutes of the game (including applicable stoppage time).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #56
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

The draw was undeserved. Would much rather have seen the US put us out of our misery already, this result suits nobody. This is the least talented Portuguese squad I've seen in a very long time, and I've seen some terrible line-ups before.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #57
Red Panda
head head bitch

So, going into the match I was hoping for a tie - that was where the bar of success was at.
That's what I was hoping for for the majority of the match.

When we got a taste of the lead, though, the bar was raised. I was sure that we would win. But, the US players seemed to count their chickens before they hatched. Number 20 on US didn't even realize that the guy was behind him (number 20 was also the reason for goal #1).

Now, I'm not very happy with the tie. We should've held them. I'm even less happy because Ronaldo gets to put himself on a pedestal, and I really don't like Ronaldo. He played like shit all game, kept getting offsides, none of his shots were on target, and one cross makes him the hero and best player on the field '>_>

I mean, anything is better than a loss, but I would've much preferred the win that secured our spot in the next round.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #58
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
GDI USA Y U CHOKE SO HARD AT THE LAST MINUTE? WE HAD THAT AND HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO BEAT A EUROPEAN TEAM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN WHAT? LIKE 50 YEARS? GAHHHH

/rant

Okay seriously though. The US choked hard in like the last minute and it was a bit frustrating.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #59
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
In other news, Korea got demolished by Algeria. It's really sad actually.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 AM   #60
Mercutio
Banned

Not really. It was a cracking match once it got going (which admittedly happened because Algeria absolutely totalled you and your goalkeeper is pretty poor). But then you rallied only to be immediately put down and then rallied again. In the second half both teams looked pretty good. And regardless of who you support it's always good to see African teams doing well in international competition outside of those few outliers who are consistently pretty good i.e. Ivory Coast.

This is the same reason that I'd like to see the US and Canada do well. Generally they're fairly mediocre but it would be good to break up the Europe - South America dichotomy that sometimes happens.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just a list of nations we know are making it through the next round. (6 points or higher; and as no one has higher yet, 6 points it is.)

Group A: --
Group B: Netherlands, Chile
Group C: Colombia
Group D: Costa Rica
Group E: France
Group F: Argentina
Group G: --
Group H: Belgium

So we're gettin' there. Group B is completing their games right now but they're the one group for whom it doesn't really matter. ^^; Group A will begin their games in several hours, settling which of Brazil, Mexico, and Croatia will be heading home.

In Group A, Cameroon with 0 points is already out. Brazil and Mexico each have 4; Croatia has 3. Thus, the game to watch will be the Mexico-Croatia game at 3:30pm Eastern Daylight Time (8:30pm British Summer Time). Brazil is expected to win their game against Cameroon, though an unexpected loss would certainly be a wild upset should Croatia and Mexico tie.

Regarding Group G, I had been misled to believe that America's only chance of advancing would be if they won their upcoming game against Germany. But that simply isn't the case. In Round G, Germany and the USA currently lead with 4 points each. Portugal is tied with Ghana in last place with only 1 point. If Germany and the US tie, then they would each have 5 points and be untouchable by either Portugal or Ghana. Even if the US were to lose to Germany, their score would stay at 4 points -- tying the winner of Ghana vs. Portugal and leaving their advancement down to tiebreaker points, which the US currently leads both Ghana and Portugal on anyway. So like ... really, the US is in a kind of favorable position to advance. Their worst case scenario -- losing to Germany and losing the tiebreaker to Ghana or Portugal -- is the only way they're going to exit. Winning the tiebreaker ... tying Germany ... or even, miracle of miracles, beating Germany ... these would all see the US advance to the Round of 16.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #62
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Italy and England getting eliminated while Costa Rica and Uruguay moves on.

Thoughts? :3

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #63
Red Panda
head head bitch

Not happy. Italy was my favorite team.

Also, I've seen a lot of pictures (practically all joking) about the US and Germany having a momentary truce and tying so both can advance. If at all possible, this is the route that I would choose, because I don't trust the US to beat Germany.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I would like to see a Netherlands-Costa Rica championship game.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #65
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I'm not interested in football to 'support' teams, but if I did I'd be with America and Nigeria. The latter because they're my ASB Sweepstake team, but the former because I actually enjoy watching them play and I'd like to see them actually do well at a sport that the rest of the world writes them off as terrible at.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #66
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I would like to see a Netherlands-Costa Rica championship game.
Sadly if they both win their next match (both should) they'll meet in the quarters. I predict we'll see Netherlands-Argentina and Germany-Brazil semis. Any of those four could make the final. The only other team I see with a real chance of making the semis is France, if they can overcome Germany.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #67
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

If France finish top in their group they should be facing Nigeria in the next stage. Second and they'll face Argentina.

Looks like only 0.5 SP for me.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #68
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I'm calling France to finish top of their group, beat Nigeria and then lose to Germany (predicting Germany to top their group and beat Algeria in their first knockout match).
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #69
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Meanwhile I heard Suarez the cannibal has struck again.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #70
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Good job, America. Only lost 1-0 to Germany, while Portugal beating Ghana means that their abysmal goal difference puts America into the knockouts along with Germany. The US could have lost by a lot more, and they did well to minimise damage.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #71
Mercutio
Banned

> Germany, Portugal and Ghana fail to destroy the infidel Americans
> England manage a boring draw against Costa fucking Rica

God damn it.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #72
Red Panda
head head bitch

Go America! I doubted them, and really didn't think we'd beat or tie Ghana or Portugal, so this is a pleasant surprise.

Here's to hoping that we don't fail completely in the round of 16.

US faces the second slot from Group H in the round of 16.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Here's to hoping that we don't fail completely in the round of 16.
I missed the USA-Germany game, but if America played anything there like they did against Portugal, then I think it's safe to say this:

USA : 2014 Round of 16 :: England : 2014 Preliminaries

I welcome being proven wrong. But I'll be surprised to be.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #74
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

So in the Germany vs USA match everyone was happy in the end :3

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #75
Red Panda
head head bitch

USA really wasn't on the same wavelength most of the game. They'd make a pass ahead but their teammate had cut back around.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc