UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #126
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen da man View Post
I love the hype when Australia actually wins a gold, you guys should of heard the commentators for the kayaking.
When India won a gold we had a holiday in school.

I'm not even kidding.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #127
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to hen da man
Lol that is amazing! I wish we did. I remember watching the Commonwealth Games in class in primary school but never got a holiday for a sporting event.

Daisy is just the best for making the battlecut!

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Spoiler: show
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

edit: also any kids reading this dont drink it fucks u pyour brannreal bad
hen da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #128
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
GB in a nice little space of its own - 12 golds behind China in 2nd, 13 ahead of Russia in 4th.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #129
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yeah, the US now actually has the lead over China, 39 golds to 37. And the overall medal count as well, 90 to China's 80. But no matter what American resource I look to, it always lists total medals as the way to go, even though it seems like we all agree that gold medals are most important.

Especially glad to see the US women win water polo gold. Wonderful defensive game played against Spain for the victory.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #130
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Just as I expected going into the match, America won Women's Beach Volleyball. I knew I made the right idea betting on them.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #131
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Yeah, the US now actually has the lead over China, 39 golds to 37. And the overall medal count as well, 90 to China's 80. But no matter what American resource I look to, it always lists total medals as the way to go, even though it seems like we all agree that gold medals are most important.
I think this is because the moment they switch to gold medal count they acknowledge it's a thing, and the US has been both further ahead and behind than the current two gold difference in the past week so they don't want to admit it's the right way of looking at it when they could start losing in it :p

But then again, I have a fairly cynical view of both America and most media outlets, so I could be being completely unfair and the news networks could just be stupid enough to consider total medals the definitive way to go.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #132
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I really think it's just because of how large our Olympic program is so they know we're always likely to be #1 in this one (especially now that the Soviet Union is no more). Yeah, China is effing huge, but their Olympic program still isn't as large as ours is and so we're happily sticking with the "LOLOL TOTAL MEDALS ARE WHAT MATTERS" idea.

But it's stupid. It's ridiculously transparent propaganda. Like you said, everybody else uses the gold medal count. And it's not like this is one of those cases where we can argue "even if 99% of the world asked you to jump off a bridge, would you still do it? ", where we can try and claim that we're right and to hell with how the rest of the world does it. The rest of the world uses the total gold medal count because it's easier for John and Jane Doe at home to keep track of than golds per capita would be while it's also at least more reflective of which nation truly has the best athletes than is the total medal count. Basically, total golds is a good compromise measure for deciding who "won" the Olympics. Yeah, it fucks over tiny programs like Kazakhstan's or Luxembourg's or whatever, but it's at least better than "lololol we only got 5 golds BUT WE GOT ALL THE BRONZES THEREFORE WE WIN" like the American media is trying to insist. ¬_¬

Anyway, I expect it'll change in the next 12-20 years. Once China's Olympic program eclipses ours both in scale (total # of athletes) and in scope (total # of sports programs), and once India quits dicking around and actually starts producing athletes and entering them into Olympic programs of their own, I think the United States will find that it's much more fun / propaganda-efficient to hang its hopes on us maybe-possibly winning the most gold medals in a particular year than it is to hang its hopes on us winning the most total medals. Would you rather a 90% chance of coming in 3rd place (the latter)? or a 30-40% chance of possibly coming in 1st place (the former)? I think the choice is clear.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #133
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Just saw the 200m Jamaican sweep (as it shall be known as from now on) and Bolt is a freak! Anyone see him taking pictures of Blake on the track after the race?

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #134
Talon87
時の彼方へ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19180559

Did not realize that Hong Kong had its own separate Olympic team. (I would think that an athlete from Hong Kong would rather have access to all of the facilities and sponsorships of the Chinese program.)
Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #135
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Personally I like the medal points system: Three points for a gold, two for silver and one for bronze. That way there's still some recognition for second and third, but the gold medals aren't devalued as just counting for one.

Also it's not really like the entire rest of the world using one system has really stopped us from doing our own thing before (see: The Metric system).

While I'm in the thread though: Holy shit rhythmic gymnasts are the most fun thing to watch in the olympics.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #136
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

>Medal points system

It's a good idea and makes sense, the point is people only care about gold medals, see James Magnussen and channel 9 in the 100m final.

>Rhythmic Gymnastics

Oh yeah, they are talented. It's actually pretty good to watch and it is the only type of gymnastic event where they actually score them well IMO.

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:

Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #137
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I think if it were changed to a points scoring system even channel nine might let up a bit... though probably not, they're pretty awful.

And yeah, rhythmic gymnastics is the one sort of gymnastics where the snide commentator lady doesn't spend the entire time talking about how badly the gymnast blew it.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #138
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
I think Tyrion Lannister just won the Women's Shot Put.
In news so stunning you could enter into Miss Brazil, Tyrion has been disqualified after failing a drugs test.

Hmm.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #139
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Cubone View Post
In news so stunning you could enter into Miss Brazil, Tyrion has been disqualified after failing a drugs test.

Hmm.
Does this woman go by two different names? You call her Tyrion Lannister but the story refers to her as Nadzeya Ostapchuk. Same woman with different names? Or two completely different women?

EDIT: Ah. I see it's a nickname based on That Book Series I Have Yet To Read 'Cause I'm Waiting For George To Finish Writing The Series™.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc