UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #51
Mercutio
Banned

Not entirely surprised, but I've been pretty happy with what I've seen of the series. I hope that Green Beetle is adopted by the comic writers; always nice to see new characters that pose new and interesting questions.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #52
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Same here. They've built a couple really intriguing characters I'd hate to see go to waste.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #53
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

While I hate the idea of young sidekicks, I did like Young Justice. It's seems no new comic turned cartoon series ever lasts as long as the greats like Batman TAS, X-Men, and Spider-man.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #54
Mercutio
Banned

Completely agree that young sidekicks make very little sense. Particularly gfor 'good' characters. I can sort of imagine the Joker having a Joker Jr, but why Batman takes kids around with him all the bloody time I'll never know.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #55
Loki

One excuse was Public Relations, albeit it's a more modern one. Batman say himself as too dark and scary and decided to take up a child partner to show he's not as evil as the villains he pummels.

The actual excuse is CHILD POWER FANTASY. As cool as the idea of imagining yourself as Batman is, children might find him hard to relate with since he's an adult and they are still children. WAIT WHATS THIS? HE HAS A CHILD SIDEKICK! I'M A CHILD! I COULD BE BATMAN SIDEKICK! AWESOME!

Then the boy dies.... Poor Jason Todd. You took longer to resurrect than Bucky, but less time than Uncle Ben. And you came back as a dick.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #56
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Uncle Ben stays dead man. That has to be the first law of comic books. The only way they could ever bring Ben back is an equal exchange - Ben for the writer who thought bringing him back was a good idea.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #57
Loki

Bucky and Jason Todd staying dead were also laws of comics as they were all huge parts of their hero's character development. Yet Bucky is now Winter Soldier and Jason Todd is a douchebag Red Hood. Hell, I have a book about how those three could never be allowed to come back to life lest they ruin the character. Yet they did it anyway.

While I SINCERELY DOUBT they would ever bring Uncle Ben back, I can never say that with 100% certainty.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #58
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So like Loki says, I have a day job at Marvel, and my sources tell me that Uncle Ben is going to come back this July as ...

... Big Ben. His base of operations will be the eponymous clock tower in London, his superpower will be manipulation of time, and it will be revealed that he didn't actually die on the street: he had already seen the future and knew that his "death" catalyzed Peter's transformation into the superhero known as Spider-Man, and so he staged his death and stopped his heart right when it would look convincing to a teenager and some untrained cops that he'd bled out and died. But then! He woke up in the morgue -- he timed it with his Big Benometer! -- left the morgue, and went into a sort of chrysalis for the next 25 years. And now? Now he's ready to emerge from that chrysalis and tell Peter "Yo."

Spoiler: show
Spider-Man spoiler from the other day

Too bad Peter won't be there to hear it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #59
Loki

By Concept's Law of Equivalent Exchange, Talon has to die now.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #60
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I didn't write it! Someone at Marvel did! I'm just the messenger! JUST THE MESENNGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, seriously, that's my superhero name: the Messenger!

*flees*
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #61
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I read that and for some reason thought "Loki has a day job at Marvel? HOLY SHIT THAT'S AWESOME"

But then I realized Talon was being humourous. I guess you aren't as cool as I thought, Loki. Alas.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #62
Loki

So your illiteracy somehow made me cooler? Sorry, I don't want to live in that kind of world.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #63
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I went to Hastings today and bought some comics. I've wanted to collect comics for years, but Bakersfiend isn't quite the place for that, so I never really got to. So, finally, I've started to build up my collection a bit, and here's what I got:

Dr. Fate #9 (DC)
Blue Beetle #11 (DC)
Blue Beetle (New 52) #0 (DC)
Geo-Force Catwoman #4 (DC)
Marvel Knights #2 (Marvel)
Paul the Samurai #4 (NEC)
Fist of the North Star #2 (Viz Select)
Dungeons and Dragons #1 (IDW; Hastings exclusive cover)
Jon Sable Freelance #1 (First Comics)
Jon Sable Freelance #2 (First Comics)
Eternal Warrior Yearbook #1 (Valiant)

I picked a few titles I knew I'd like, a few that seemed interesting, and many of the back half on the list were 2/$1, so I wouldn't be out much if I didn't quite like them.

Funny thing is, I consider myself more of a Marvel guy; I love the Young Avengers, huge X-Men fan, but it somehow slipped my mind to look at either of those (or Princess Amethyst, but that's DC and a different story). I was too preoccupied with looking for the New 52 Teen Titans, which I never found. Still, I think I have some nice reading material now.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #64
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED
hyperlink

The Death and Return of Superman is a 17-minute documentary published on YouTube by its creative staff some time last year. Just watched it today and it was quite entertaining. Even if you don't think you have time for it right now, just give it two minutes of your time. (That's what I did. Fifteen minutes later ... ) A few famous people make appearances in the film, including Elijah Wood, Ron Howard, and one of the women from SMBC Theater! You guys should all totally check this out if you haven't already seen it.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #65
Loki

That's a lot of celebs!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #66
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Apparently the dude in the chair is Max Landis, son of John Landis, film director. So yeah, he has "the connections". TBH though I didn't recognize anybody except Ron Howard and the SMBC Theater woman at first. Totally didn't recognize Elijah Wood. lol Thought it was just some cheery yokel. hahaha
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #67
Mercutio
Banned

Spiderman2 cast list. It involves Jamie Foxx.

Wut
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #68
Loki

Jamie Foxx is Electro? Electro? Really? I don't even know what to think anymore.

Also, Thor 2: Link
BORKED

As for my comic reading list, I've tried to keep up mostly.

Good: Uncanny X-Force, All New X-Men, Earth 2 (!)
Bad: World's Finest, Uncanny X-Men

Uncanny X-Force was rebooted, which means the roster changed, but the attitude seems roughly the same. So far it's only on like issue 3 or 4, which has had some decent action and some character development of Psylocke since we last saw her at the end the last Uncanny X-Force.

All New X-Men has been pretty damn good. Following AvX, the X-Men have been split into two factions- Wolverine who has started a new Mutant school with the intention of promoting learning and understand, and Cyclops, who is starting a Mutant Revolution.

Really Scott? Gang signs?

Hank McCoy goes back in time and finds the younger X-Men and bring them to the present in hopes that the sight of them will snap Cyclops out of his War for Mutantkind. Seeing the characters run into their future/past selves has or discovering (and even not discovering) what has happened to them over the years has been funny, sad, and overall well done. It puts a lot of emphasis on character development which is all pretty strong.

Earth 2 is DC's alternate reality title which was brought back since All New 52 reboot series. It's really well done in pretty much all the aspects I want. In fact, I'm actually going to go in depth with why I like this title so much thus far:

Firstly, it's Earth 2, not the main DC universe setting. No confusing post Crisis bullshit stuff with the multiverse being combined or some such nonsense. It's a completely new world. And it all feels new and exciting!

Prior to the main story, Apokolips invaded Earth. It's going poorly. The Wonders (superheroes) work hard to slow down the invasion, but all their work is mostly just bringing a stalemate. Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman start a plan to turn the tide of the war. Their plan succeeds, but Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman all die. Supergirl and Robin (daughter of Batman) try to avenge them by jumping into a Boomtube (which leads them to main DC universe, creating World's Finest title). Thus, the war finally favors humanity and ends but left Earth (2) without their Wonders.

So the main story starts (I think) 7 years later. All of the classic heroes from Justice Society are reintroduced in a completely new way. Flash gains his powers from the dying god Mercury and warns him of a new hero and how the world needs new Wonders. Green Lantern is powered by the Earth's spirit itself. The Atom (not to be mistaken with Captain Atom, despite being a Captain) is a soldier who survived the war and gains power from unknown radiation. Hawkgirl and Dr. Fate gain their powers from ancient magic of Egypt (okay, this is kind of the same old- same old, but done well).

Not just that, but the story hasn't really fallen into a slump that DC writers always seem to throw at us when they need to apparently throw out an issue for the month, but can't do anything new because of some crossover in the works and throw us filler with ominous no new info, character development, or action. Instead, each issue has given us something new and exciting. I really hope this keeps up.

Now on to the bad... Sadly, World's Finest doesn't carry the same appeal that Earth 2 has despite the main characters being Supergirl and Robin from Earth 2, although using new names Powergirl and Huntress. The main problem is, they're seemingly setting up for something, but then they do nothing. It took like three issues to kill a super giant radiation monster and in the entire span of the battle, they just mildly hint the monster is from Apokolips. Then they do more nothing. FUCK! And in addition to that, they completely change Powergirl's outfit to something clearly less sexual, which is perfectly fine and I do in fact think it's tastefully done, BUT, they practically have her vaporizing her costuming every issue. "CHECK ME OUT! MY COSTUME ISN'T OVERSEXUAL ANYMORE! I JUST GET NAKED ALL THE TIME!" FUCKING MAKE UP YOUR MINDS DC! Also, she's a slut. Their best issue was issue #0 (which oddly enough came out after Issue #5) which takes place before the whole Earth 2 intro happens and shows their origins of sorts and how they interacted with their Earth heroes and family. Too bad they couldn't have had made that the story!

Uncanny X-Men unfortunately has also been a bit disappointing. When Cyclops begins a new Mutant Revolution against the Human Oppressors of the world, I was expecting it to be more exciting. It's not. All the new mutants are okay, but also boring. It feels like All New X-Men got all the cool fun stuff and Uncanny X-Men is kind of just filling in what happens on the other side.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #69
Loki

Okay. I really need to complain about this. World's Finest needs to be re-titled as World's Worst. Seriously.

Seriously. What the fuck happened in that last panel? Are they trolling us?

Not only that, the whole issue was dumb. Now I'm inspired to write a thread about rights and wrongs in comics.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That face.

Or are we complaining about the story? *unsure*
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #71
Loki

Everything is wrong.

Last edited by Loki; 05-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #72
Mercutio
Banned

That does look inordinately terrible.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #73
Loki

Max Landis has another youtube video of a pitch he made to DC about redoing Death/Rebirth of Superman (set in an alternate DC universe rather than the main).

BORKED
Link Here

Pretty interesting. I will admit, Max Landis has a strong understanding of superheroes. I would honestly consider buying his Death/Rebirth of Superman.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #74
deoxys
Fog Badge

Why is Max Landis working on anything besides Chronicle 2? ;~;
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #75
Loki

Seems DC's New 52 has been running into more and more problems with massive number of their creative staff leaving left and right.

The newest set of departures are J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman. They cite DC's refusal to allow Batwoman to get married as one of the reasons. Many members of the LGBT community have taken offense to this, but they've stated it was not because of the same-sex marriage, but marriage in general.

Many writers have cited the DC Editors being indecisive, calling for last minute changes which screws up large story arcs, uncertainty of details within their new rebooted world, stress and unprofessional behavior from management and editors, and lots of dumb shit from a company that seemingly doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

Going back to the issue of marriage though, it seems rather weird how anti-marriage comics have been. Not just DC, Marvel has shown this attitude as well. I would think that since both companies have allowed their characters to grow and mature along with their customers, they would continue to keep allowing their characters to do the same. But now it seems that marriage is automatically going to ruin a hero.

Last edited by Loki; 09-14-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment