UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #251
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I put in an application for Dunkin Donuts today after finding out they're hiring and that I might have my application brought up because I stopped in.

Job assessments are bullshit and should die in a fire.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #252
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I wish you luck, the Dunken Donuts where I live have a huge racial bias towards hiring desi folk. Also it's fast pace as fuck soooooo

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #253
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Motley Fool
Because of their sheer size, Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) and, to a lesser extent Target (NYSE:TGT), are often targeted by wage protesters. Both companies have recently raised wages for their retail workforce, but neither one comes anywhere close to paying its non-manager workforce close to $15 hourly.
I was paid $14.50 starting during the summer at Wal-Mart. It's decreased to $12.50 since the summer ended, but for unskilled labour that's still an outstanding wage. I've been trying to wrap my head around how rare this is, or if there are even better job opportunities that are simply not common information.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #254
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I was paid $14.50 starting during the summer at Wal-Mart. It's decreased to $12.50 since the summer ended, but for unskilled labour that's still an outstanding wage. I've been trying to wrap my head around how rare this is, or if there are even better job opportunities that are simply not common information.
Judging from the experiences of my friends, classmates, and peers here in Indiana, I have the impression that anything remotely "white collarly" / "deskly" that is also a government posting that is also still something that you can also walk off the street into and learn how to do within 24-48 hours tends to pay the best out of all unskilled labor jobs. So for example ...
Food: really bad pay. (E.g. McDonald's)

Retail: really bad pay. (E.g. Office Depot)

Postal: remarkably good pay. (Friend started at $15/hr first day on the job. Didn't stay with them, but pay raises to $20/hr or higher within the first year are common, he told me.)

Civil servant: remarkably good pay.
These are usually still low-paying jobs with little to no room for advancement (e.g. if you decide to become an animal rescuer for the DNR I don't imagine your chances for moving past that post are very good within a 5-10 year period), but they pay anywhere from 2x to 3x what their retail and HTM counterparts pay.

Still, if Wal-Mart is paying even $12/hr to its entry-level employees, that is far beyond most states' minimum wages and is definitely a good deal for the lowest of low-skilled laborers.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #255
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Part of my evaluation has been what I could be doing as an alternative to my current job.

The federal government has a nice retirement system that goes godly if you are also in the military. You get a pension based on years in service and final grade pay, and the TSP as a 401K. The TSP has among the lowest fees of a 401K compared to private companies, with decent matching.

Most young folk correctly deduce that base salary is the most important thing to them, but they infer that for the wrong reasons. That reason is they want the disposable income to buy stuff. In reality, the high raw salary is important for rapid investment into things that can accelerate retirement age.

Working for the fed is an old person's job because of the high benefits but low base salary. Sure, if you start at age 20 and retire at age 66, you get a massive pension, but only have a couple decades to collect it.

So, I have three jobs right now: federal, Wal-Mart and ETS. Is this assembly of income, when living standards are taken into account, superior to what I could get if I moved back down to Alabama?

My hourly is $25.31. The base for most hospitals down there is about the same. But then I could do consistent part-time work (+32 hours?) at that rate or higher. So that's like turning a $50K starting salary into a $90K one. The ultimate goal would be to move back to California, where I can get access to the insane $80K base salaries, live at home and bank an additional $800 per month from the rent savings, and $3000 per year from reduced car expenses.

Hmm. I could also teach down there, but my sister offered me a job teaching CC in California too. Either way, perhaps moving isn't as great an idea as I originally thought.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #256
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

I've been applying for internships recently and come across a problem. I have a few volunteer experiences and one job experience who were organized and managed by a now deceased person. Would I still put their information as my employer information when I fill out this part of the application?
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #257
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Hmm, that is a particular situation. Was there anyone else that was a manager alongside him? Or perhaps a senior that although he/she wasn't as highly-placed but was still a witness of your work? I would think any of those people could replace the name of your deceased manager.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #258
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Yeah there was. I went ahead and used their info and worst case I can explain the situation later. Thanks though!
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #259
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I have an interview Wednesday with another hospital.

I don't intend to leave my current employ. But I'd like to take on a part-time job at this new hospital. But, the position I applied for was full-time.

How do I break it to the folks that I want part-time only? During the interview, after the job offer, etc.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #260
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I don't know why you did that; it seems like the only solution is to take the job and work it part time while giving the illusion that you're working it full time (which sounds like the plot to some hilarious Seinfeld episode).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #261
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I did it because the contract workers who came to my current workplace were able to negotiate. One of the workers, in fact, has a lower degree/title than I do, and had ZERO experience (while I had 7+ years intern) and was able to secure equal-higher pay than me from the government. The one who has an equal degree to me is making double. These are my co-workers, under the same employer, so it's not like I'm comparing apples to oranges here.

I took what I was offered and was told there was no room for negotiation. I learned later that other employees received compensation for things like relocation - there was a hefty relocation bonus for moving from South Dakota to Minnesota. Yet, I, who came from California, was not offered such a thing.

I've seen a part-time position offered by this other hospital. That's why I wanted to make a good impression, and maybe negotiate them down to a part-time or 32 hour per week position. The problem isn't the HOURS, it's the DAYS.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #262
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So, about that hospital interview.

I'm pretty sure I nailed it on the interview and resume. But the fact that I applied for the position was leaked without hours after I completed the interview, because two lab managers were supposed to be on the panel. Allegedly they disclosed to the lab personnel that I came from the federal hospital, and someone from there contacted my co-workers. Suffice to say, they weren't happy and let me know it.

This isn't the first time I've seen a privacy leak - my identity was leaked last year when I applied to another agency - but all of a sudden I'm in a precarious position where my own workplace has turned on me because of the open threat of me attempting to leave. And, the temp workers have speculated that although I forbid the HR department from conferring with my current workplace, they likely badmouthed me under the table once my application became public knowledge.

Frankly, I'm struggling with trying to understand this logic. I could simply transfer to a hospital in another state, get an immediate +$10,000 salary boost, and not have to work at Wal-Mart or another hospital. The only way it's worth my while to stay in this area is to work multiple jobs. Why would they try and sabotage that?

I would have left after February 1st, really, if I wasn't staying here to get into the Marine Corps. Either I get into the Marines, or fail - either way, I am out of here by 2018. This, and the leak from earlier, have not earned a person obsessed with privacy and sense of endearment.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #263
Hunter
Excessive Spammer

I read this whole thread. Took me a long time. Anyway...

I am an unloveable loser. I got burnt out in school and made many mistakes. Some understandable, some surprisingly stupid to a neutral observer I'm sure. Now I get paid a pathetic wage doing work that...does my self esteem nothing, where I am treated poorly. I guess it's a common condition; you always want to compare yourself to the guy who is doing great, living your dreams, fantastic comings and goings...

Truth is, I place all sorts of limits on my work, some of which make a lot of sense to me and some of which probably are meaningless constrictions. I'd rather sit on my ass all day; a decade of work has taught me a valuable lesson; I hate it, I hate all of it, and I pretty much hate everyone I meet.

Time passes...your health declines...you come home, sit down, and wonder what you could have done...what you should have done...did you know better? Which of your priorities were out of order? Can you haul yourself out of bed one more time to pay for the rest of your pointless living expenses?

You look into a tunnel, and you feel there must be light at the end of it, but you see only blackness, pitch, unmerciful, unsympathetic.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #264
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I am sick of Minnesota. This place is nutty.

"My relative is dying, I need you to take this weekend" (sent Friday afternoon)
"I can't, that is SUPER short notice and I am penciled in already for the next two days."
"If you work tomorrow, I will work next Sunday for you instead."
"I'm not working next Sunday".
"You are now".

This is a shitty state with awful people in it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #265
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"By the way, he died."
"Please work for me Friday."

Now comes the fact that I anticipated this. People in this area pull this crack all the time, so I knew it was going to be a thing, and it's obnoxious.

How obnoxious? I'm on call from Thursday-Friday evening, meaning I can't leave the hospital. I now have to work Friday, take call Friday-Saturday, work Saturday, take call Saturday-Sunday, work Sunday, then work Wal-Mart Sunday night.

Meaning I can't leave the hospital I arrive at from Thursday evening until Sunday afternoon. After two god dang days of being away from my apartment because it's being repaved.

Wednesday is going to be awesome. That's the only day I have where I can actually sleep on the floor!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #266
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Probably the most stressful thing I've worried about the past 3 years (even more than the Marines, which was something I never doubted) is my CE credits for the ASCP certification. The whole process was overwhelming and confusing, but somehow I managed to transfer over my CAP credits to the program so I'm sitting at 13 more credits required.

There are 4.5 available for me left in CAP, and I need to fish out 2 for Blood Bank. I have until 31 July 17 to finish all this, but getting this far gives me a little peace of mind, at least?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-29-2017, 04:09 AM   #267
mespritchaser
Pokemon Trainer

Currently I don't feel the looming scare of the real world as much since I'm just going into my last year of college. I am however taking an internship in a small tech company, first doing data work and now design (an enormous jump!). I just realized as much as that data work was enjoyable, it did get too much for me and it wasn't something I 100% liked. Design was my first love and will always have a special place in my heart (and in my skillset and probably resume).

I've been there almost two months and this coming week is my last week! Really sad it's come to an end so fast, but I did learn a lot and I can't wait to visit the office in the future.

FB Profile | FB Wishlist
mespritchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #268
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've been fired by the ETS. :/

It seems that the College Board is downsizing its contract with ETS so only a bare bones number of scorers are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS
We are proud of what we have accomplished together but need to notify you of a recent business decision that will impact the SAT Program. Beginning August 1, 2017, ETS will have very limited scoring work on future SAT administrations for the College Board. Changes in business direction like this, have become a hard and unpredictable reality in our industry. Regrettably, as a result, the change will mean that we can no longer offer you scoring work for SAT.
I knew that the SAT was dropping the essay component/making it optional, but I had figured it had happened already. In fact, it probably did given the paucity of scoring opportunities I didn't have access to the kind of hours I did in 2016.

Unfortunately, I'm locked out of most of the other scoring opportunities that require being a full-time teacher, regardless of how pathetic your credentials might be.

Sigh, it was a nice job. I will miss it and definitely apply again if it ever opens up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #269
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Check out this sample resume for applying for work in Japan. Someone's a fellow Pokémon fan! =)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #270
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
So after repeated clashes with more senior management, I've just handed in my notice at work. The compromise we had worked out was my transfer to another site and a bump down of my job to the previous level - I'd have taken the transfer alone because I get on great with the manager of the other site (he was formerly Assistant Manager at my site and was a great mentor figure to me workwise before he moved) but the demotion is a kick in the teeth that's only happening because my boss is covering his ass. Kept my resignation letter professional though. My complaints about my GM are on record with the directors anyway and have achieved nothing, further stirring the pot seems unlikely to help. Tempting as it was. Given they were talking about a rapid transfer (to start at the other site this coming Monday, having had a meeting about it yesterday) I'm kinda hoping I get to work out my notice period at the other site.

In terms of reference from this job I'm gonna have to rely on my former AM rather than my GM, but my former AM offered my the position as his AM when he took over his own pub (which I turned down at the time because I didn't feel ready for the step up - big mistake in hindsight as it would've gotten me away from my shitty GM) so I think I can count on a favourable opinion of me there.

Short version of my issues with him; my GM has a major fear of giving feedback, a need to find someone to blame, a favouritism streak and sometimes a nasty temper. He's not a bad guy personally, he's just not a good manager. I've repeatedly come in to find staff discussing things I've apparently screwed up (sometimes these are things that are my fault, often they're nothing to do with me and I didn't even know about them until I heard I'd been blamed for them) that my GM or new AM have opted to say nothing to me about but to instead to complain about and blame me for to other staff. We had a shitty staff member a while back who didn't turn up for shift on three separate occasions, and got fired for it (fairly imo). Another guy who has done the exact same thing four times now but who regularly hangs out with my GM outside of work and hasn't even been spoken to about it. Another pair of staff are having a bit of a feud atm for stupid reasons - very much a six of one, half a dozen of the other situation - and my GM has sat one down and given her a final warning and two weeks to sort it out, and let the other off literally without even talking to her. I feel isolated and unsupported by senior management because I know they're complaining about me behind my back, and because I'm being constantly blamed for shit to staff it's making it much harder to establish myself after my promotion. With the site transfer and demotion I could probably win back my current position at the other site by the end of the year - and be guaranteed a good boss out of it - but am unwilling to take the time down a level when I could walk into similar position elsewhere.

Sorry, I really needed a rant about this.

Last edited by Concept; 07-11-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #271
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
I am in my first week as a middle school Humanities (really Social Studies) teacher.
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc