UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Super Mario Galaxy

Disclaimer: this game actually has a plot. Please be considerate of others -- do not spoil the story!

Well, I'm home for Thanksgiving, and that means I'm officially back for the next few days. I have to say, I'm surprised to see no SMG thread here yet! So, without further ado ... discussion!

This game is "the true spiritual successor to Mario 64." That says a lot. For most of you, this means that it's the first great Mario game since 1995. For the other 1% of the population, we'll just have to bite our tongues and growl and mutter that you guys underappreciate New Super Mario Bros. and overappreciate Mario64 way, way too much. :P

This game is truly beautiful -- a touch more sparkly than Super Mario Sunshine but with a much, much richer art design and spectrum of colors displayed at any given time onscreen. Gone is the omnipresent Hawaiian feel of SMS and returned is the sense of "variety" that Mario games' stages have been praised for for years. I'll promise you this much -- visually, you'll never be bored. You may get bored with missions. You may get bored with the limited movepool. But aesthetically, the game is really enjoyable.

And as for that limited movepool, ... not really. For a Mario game, the movepool is the biggest yet -- Mario returns with all of his N64 moves plus a few more thrown in for good measure. (One of which is a really, really cheap stun move that doubles as a dust move, lol.) He also has a huge number of power-ups. The good? They're some of his most fun ever -- the Fire Flower returns, the Ice Flower makes its debut, and Bee and Boo Mario are more fun than I would have previously thought. (Boo Mario is really promoted in my book by the cute little programming they did when a female Boo sees you, lol.) The bad? Most of the coolest power-ups (THE FLOWERS ;_; ) only last for a limited amount of time, and all of the power-ups vanish when you beat a stage. This is a return to the Mario64 way of doing things, one which I really, really hate. I was so happy to see that power-ups (well, 2 out of 3, anyway -_-) could carry over in NSMB. It's a shame that they didn't go back to the old tried-and-true "let's let them keep their power-ups" as it would have been nice to be able to use, say, Bee Mario in a stage where the ability to fly for 3 seconds would open up new possibilities. I'd have loved to have taken Ice Mario to the beach.

The music is really nice. But most people here don't care, so I'll keep going ...

The Star Bits are an awesome cultural nod. (They look just like a famous kind of Japanese hard candy and they occupy a similar role!)

Rosalina is an interesting character. I love the StoryBook sessions (thru Chapter 4 right now). I can't wait to unravel more of the story. Copy and paste the following text into a text app to see my spoiler-suspicions on who she might be: I think Rosalina is the girl in the storybook. I also suspect that Princess Peach has some tie to Rosalina, but what that tie is eludes me. I think that the Lumos that Princess Peach was holding in her hands on the night of the festival was probably Rosalina's/the girl in the story's Lumos, Lumo. The one looking for his mom. Could be wrong.

The game plays like a lot of mini-puzzles rather than a platformer (imo). There really isn't much of anywhere to run or jump -- running and jumping are merely actions briefly undertaken to get from closeby Point A to closeby Point B. I consider this a weakness of the game, but many will not notice, especially since ...

... the boss battles have so far been some of the most fun and deliciously "challenging without being too frustrating" boss battles I've seen in a Mario game. Not all pre-final stages for a planet have a boss, but those that do will provide small children with easily-defeated bosses. The final stage of a planet provides a boss who will be difficult (perhaps too difficult) for small children. And the final boss of each galaxy is in the middle -- challenging for little kids but doable, while a breeze for the rest of us. So ...
Most difficult boss = final stage of a planet/star system
Middle difficult boss = final stage of the entire galaxy
Least difficult boss = the occasional boss who exists at the end of a pre-final stage of a planet

Replay value for most stages, for me, has been pretty nonexistent so far. Hopefully this will change. Hopefully there will be a super-sexy stage that I will want to play over and over.

That's about it for now. Discuss!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Re: Super Mario Galaxy

Jealous.

I'll have it by Christmas.

Gonna be in Paris then, and it is the first city I am going to be in who might have the american version (got an american wii).

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Crap, I'd forgotten about the Wii not being like the DS Lite, i.e. being region locked. That sucks. I was looking forward to importing some Japanese Wii games.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0R6FnpqylE (Gusty Garden theme)

This is my favorite song so far in the game -- it flawlessly mixes a light-hearted, airy feeling with something richer, more epic. Haven't heard a song quite like this one since the Hyrule Field song of the N64's Ocarina of Time. I could just listen to this over and over. I really wish it belonged to a cooler stage than Gusty Garden. Although I will say that Gusty Garden's 2nd stage's boss was "fun" in Daredevil Mode. (Stupid inability to twirl into his final tail coupled with successfully twirling into his now-dangerous-to-the-touch body.)
Old 11-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Superior.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wrong. :P It's only "superior" if (a) you grew up with Mario64 (I did not) and (b) enjoyed Mario64 (I did not) as it brings back happy memories of the final confrontation with Bowser. A much, much better Bowser theme heard in this game is what follows the song you linked, when you're actually fighting Bowser mono e mono for the first time on that lava-filled orb. You can hear it here from 2:31 onward. I have no idea if that's also battle music heard in the original N64 game's final fight with Bowser or not, but this is one I myself can enjoy (IMMENSELY!) by its own merits. It's like a kickass second cousin of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme song.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

I agree with Zora. Nostalgic Mario 64 Music > Gusty Gardens.

Also, this game is amazing. Beat the final battle yesterday after about 6 days of ownership, couple hours a day. All in all, not that hard a game. Just the way I like my Mario titles. God knows I despised some of the bosses in Sunshine.

Again, amazing game. Anybody who CAN get it now, but doesn't, is an idiot. :P
Old 11-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't think I'll be playing any more until Christmas because I have to go back to med school, Wii-less, and right now I'm ready for World 4 Level 4 SubLevel 1 (first stage of Bedroom's 2nd-to-last zone), so it's a good stopping point. I have 52 or 53 stars, I've gotten every single star you can get except (a) the final comets which haven't shown up for a few places (like, I already did the doppelganger comet for the Bee Kingdom, and all the stars are full, but it still isn't complete according to the game, so I guess that means I need another comet to show up there), and (b) I also have not gotten every last one, although the vast majority, of the [?] stars for stages. I tired Luigi out (sadly , I was hoping he'd be a more integral part of the game than just 3 stars ), and I have 2 of the 3 green stars, so I'd say that's a pretty good accomplishment for under 9 hours of gameplay. (overestimated average of 3 hours a day over the course of 3 days)

When I come back for Christmas break, I'll be ready to pick up where I left off -- two major boss battles (Bedroom, Engine Room), and probably more (stuff beyond the Engine Room, e.g. the Trial Galaxy or the Center of the Universe), plus about 55% of the stars that remain in the game.

Mario64 < Gusty Gardens, easily. What makes me laugh is when children like you keep cropping up on Youtube and saying shit like this, and then proving they're kids by saying, "Man, this brings back memories from when I was 7!" 7. What a noob. I was playing Mario 3 in 1991 at the age of 6. You guys are [strike:813d0]WEAK![/strike:813d0] TOO YOUNG!

Joe and ZJ's childish excitement : boss stage of the Fountain :: Talon's childish excitement : the music for the annoying cookie-cutter stage (Mario 3, vavy!)
Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

So? Your nostalgia may benefit from a couple of extra years, but me and Joe get the Britishness bonus, which propels us to victory instantly.

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yes, because we all wish we would have had to spend 100 USD on Mario Galaxy like you guys do. Britishness == CURSE in gaming, not a boon.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Fail, it cost me under $60.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You imported, which is why you fail to say "$50" like it cost the rest of us. You had to pay for S&H. The fact that you had to import proves my point -- being British is awful when it comes to gaming. Every British teen I met all summer either (a) was envious of my games' prices or (b) already was taking advantage of it by importing or having family in America send American games over for Christmas and birthdays.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Except I bought the PAL version from a shop in England. So you fail.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I don't believe it!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #15
quilava plush
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to quilava plush Send a message via MSN to quilava plush

I bought this on Wednesday and started playing it today; I'm at my brother's apartment and brought the Wii, so we've been doing co-op. :3 I have to admit that my coordination sucks (auugh how i loathe thee, black holes) and I probably wouldn't have made it so far had my brother not been there to co-star, but so far I've gotten the first star on Bee Kingdom; a rather satisfying start. =D
Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I hear that (correct me if I'm wrong, guys?) people who are used to Mario64 took a while to get used to Galaxy's coordination. I dunno. Good luck, and have fun!
Old 11-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

I got Galaxy for £25 at Toys R Us. Dunno why it was so cheap, but I wasn't that bothered, to be honest. I'm guessing Zora did something along the same lines.

Also, Talon, I was born in 1991 and have still played Mario 3. On the NES. So don't be bringing up the age stuff, because it doesn't really mean anything. And it took me about 5 or 10 minutes to get used to the coordination, and I played Mario 64 to death. xD
Old 11-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #18
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Yep, Toys R Us FTW. Got SMG, MP3 and SPM all from there. Bargin!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #19
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Eh, I never had trouble with a Mario game, at least, to the point that I remembered it.

You know, I played 64, like, two years before the gamecube. So, my nostalgia isn't much.

Still, Galaxy is gonna be awesome.

Still, so very jealous.

By the way, Galaxy does cost 100 bucks in Norway.

And I'll have it on the 14th of December.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I completed the desert world (final world before the boss world in the Bedroom) and I also did the stage where you have to find the golden Koopa shell (for the pink Lumos near the Bedroom).

Golden Shell stage:
Man. This stage was retardedly easy. O_o I think I may even have broke it, or something. O_o I grabbed a green Koopa shell, swam into the main water chamber, then surfaced. Once I was on the surface, I could see water above me, so I jumped and pointed my Koopa shell upwards, and sure enough, up into the water we went. There, I found the gold Koopa shell. Unguarded. So I threw away the green Koopa shell, grabbed the golden one, and swam back the way I came. On the way, I knocked into a gold star piece, which begs the question, "Was I intended to collect five star pieces in order to generate a star launch pad?" Whatever. Didn't need to. O_o Just went back to the treasure chest, threw the gold Koopa shell at it, and got my star from the red Toad.

Desert World (all three sub-stages):
I had heard that this world was really "gay," but honestly, it wasn't that bad at all. Yeah, I agree, insta-death if you fall in the sand is lame. But you just have to think of the sand as lava and you'll be fine. I mean, you don't bitch about not being able to survive if you go in the lava, do you? And ... think of it like Fascist lava, since even regular lava doesn't kill you in Mario Galaxy.

Stage 1 was amusing. I suppose it would suck if you did some of those scary walljumps and fell out the window, but thankfully -- despite two close calls! -- I never did, so I beat the stage without any setbacks.

Stage 2 was fun on normal run, but I didn't have time to beat it on 4:30 trial run before having to pack up. I made it to the second-to-last surface, i.e. I saw the star but couldn't reach it so I went into the donut-hole to go hit the switch to make the star reachable, and I had 30 seconds to go but touched sand. *shrug* Oh well. I doubt I'd have made it back in 30 seconds anyway. The real killer for me on the trial run was the part where you need to get the five blue star pieces. I have a lot of trouble getting the blue piece that is (how best to describe this) "on top" of the sandstream but not with any other obstacles (i.e. not in the treasure chest, not on hard rock, etc.). The other four are all easy, but I miss that one time after time after time. Costs me a minute. I'm sure if I can just get it on the first try, I'll be able to beat the speed run.

Stage 3 was okay until the very last part (with the sand "rising" inside the glass tower). After dying like 10 times, I got fed up, put my head on my couch with my feet on the floor (like a crabwalk-looking pose), turned the controller around so that left would remain left and right would remain right despite being upside-down, and there we had it: I was now watching a right-side up Mario jumping over ascending sand and making his way up towards a star at the top of a tower, instead of the other way around for all those orientation words. This made things a lot easier, and I made it all the way to the star (and got it) on my first try. Which was good, because even just 30 seconds of this pose made my head feel uncomfortable. :x
Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #21
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
I got Galaxy for £25 at Toys R Us. Dunno why it was so cheap, but I wasn't that bothered, to be honest. I'm guessing Zora did something along the same lines.
Isn't 25 pounds like 50 American dollars? What's the normal price of games in the UK?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

£50. It was when I visited, anyway. They pay out the nose for everything in Britain. Observe:
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #23
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I like the old Super Mario 3 music that appears randomly in stages.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:37 AM   #24
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

-Got the game on Tuesday, November 13 at 2pm
-Beat Bowser for the first time on Wednesday, November 14 at 2am
-Got 120 stars as Thursday, November 15 at 11:30pm
-Got 120 stars as Luigi sometime on Sunday, November 18
-Got 121 stars as both Mario and Luigi a short time later.
-234 deaths as Mario
-113 deaths as Luigi

Yes, I am pathetic.

Anyways, Galaxy went straight to the top of my most-wanted list when it was announced in E3 2006, and stayed there since then except for a 2-month period when it was replaced by the Nintendo iQue. It was the only game that I really planned on getting for the Wii (although I did get a Wii at launch just because I wanted to experience a 17-hour wait for a midnight launch). And it's been a great ride the entire way around. The first run-through was a bit painful, not because it was hard to figure out what to do, but because it was so hard to do them. So there were plenty of moments when I got unbelievably frustrated. However things went smoothly in the second playthrough, so it wasn't too bad. I still hate the purple comets.

Regarding Talon's comment about Super Mario 64 players having a difficult time adapting, Super Mario 64 is still one of my favorite games of all-time, and I've beaten it well over 20 times. And I did have a hard time adapting to moments when I had to run upside down or on the side (namely the Dreadnaught Purple Coin star), but I don't know if that is because I played Super Mario 64 so much or because I just naturally have bad coordination. However, there were moments where I was frustrated at the camera, and that was because I was so used to the free camera from Mario 64. Oh well. I replayed Mario 64 a few days ago (and a few days after beating Galaxy) and it was still great.

Regarding Talon's Luigi experiences, having Luigi find stars for you is a way to get some secret stars, but it's NOT playing as Luigi. You can actually play AS Luigi after getting 120 stars, which makes for some pretty funny moments in the first star of the Ghostly Galaxy.

Regarding the music, I think nostalgia comes more prominently with what you are first exposed, and that can be mutually exclusive from age. I am about the same age as Talon, but because my parents aren't big into video games, I did not get a video game system until I got the Nintendo 64, when I was 12. So I missed out on the NES and the Super NES. Mario Kart 64 was the first console game I ever got, and Super Mario 64 was the second. That's probably why I became such a N64 fanboy. One of the best moments in Twilight Princess was when I went into the Temple of Time, and the music was almost identical to the Ocarina of Time Temple of Time music. So when I first heard the Gusty Garden theme, it was just another really excellent original piece of music, but hearing the Star Reactor music for the first time was another experience entirely. However, this only explains that I like the Star Reactor theme more. As for which one is the BETTER song, I may have to go with Gusty Garden. Although my personal vote for the best would be the Battlerock theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7ft_5vFL8 <-- Talon should like this. It's footage of the orchestra playing the Gusty Garden theme.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:05 AM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, I've seen that. Thanks for your thoughtful reply, I read all of it.

It's a small spoiler but very welcome news that I can get to play as Luigi ... the only problem is, I have no intention of killing myself (read: doing all those purple coin missions) just to get 120 stars. Yeah, I want to play as Luigi, but honestly? They should have included the same option they did for New Super Mario Bros. on the DS: once you beat the story mode as Mario, you hold down Left Trigger plus A (iirc) while selecting one of your files and you get to play as Luigi instead of Mario. Hooray HAL Laboratories-esque codes. (Kirby's DreamLand reference)

I either forgot or did not know that your first video game machine was the N64. I think that does explain a lot of the nostalgia for you. My first was the NES, but I was only 4 years old when we got it, and I didn't have that many games for it. (My collection of 4 games total was Mario 1, Tetris, TMNT #1 [THE REALLY SHITTY ONE, lol, and MegaMan 3.) I think that is probably why, for me, the "dream machine" was the SNES. I got that in 1994, a year before the console was unofficially retired, and when I got it ...
1 - it came with both Super Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars (a.k.a. Mario 1, Mario 2, Mario 3, and Mario: Lost Levels)
2 - that same Christmas (of '94) was when Rare released Donkey Kong Country

So I got this kick-ass video game machine with three of the best titles ever published all on one day. It was amazing. Never mind that I also got the Super GameBoy (and I was a huge GameBoy nut, so this was an AMAZING addition). All my later games were so-so, though. (DKC 2, Batman Forever [blegh!], and Prince of Persia [the original, like, for the PC except this was on the SNES])

My favorite video game machine of all time to date is probably the DS. I've only owned mine for little over a year (Black Friday 2006), but I own more "best games of all time" for that one little machine than I could have ever possibly imagined. New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS, Phoenix Wright (1 and 2; 3 is on my Christmas list), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (EPIC), Pokemon Pearl, Shonen Jump SuperStars ... I mean, the console is just a walking fun factory. And it's a handheld. Man, oh man. If Nintendo released "Super Mario World 2" (i.e. Super Mario World engine but with 100+ brand new designed stages) for the DS, that would be my Game of the Year, easily. No power up to date has yet to top the cape! Screw all this "you can only hover for 15 seconds" bullshit. :P Give me my cape! ;)

That's one reason I h-a-t-e-d Mario 64. It was the first Mario game ever where you could not keep your powers. Mario 1? Fire Mario from 1-1 until 8-4 if you want. Mario 3? Tanooki Mario from 5-2 onward if you wish. Super Mario World? Cape Mario riding atop a Blue Yoshi once you get to Star Road level 2 (easiest way to do it imo; the in-game ways of turning a green Yoshi into a blue Yoshi were always more tedious to me). Mario64 took this tradition -- no, this expectation! -- of being able to hold on to your power up and completely threw it out the window. I don't know what the hell Shigeru Miyamoto was thinking. I think he felt like destroying puppies that day. He had to have. Because that's basically what he did -- steal lollipops, push strollers into oncoming traffic, and shatter the dreams of children across the world. 15-second Flying Cap Mario my ass. -_-; [/Mario64's lame transient power-ups rant]

I'm at least glad to see that in Mario Galaxy, the transient power ups are really friggin' awesome (Ice Mario >>>>>>>>>>> Steel Mario) and that there are a few power-ups that you can at least keep until the end of a stage (even if Bee Mario <<<<<<<<<<< Fire Mario). I don't understand why they didn't allow us to keep Ice Mario the way we do Bee Mario, and to get rid of being Ice Mario the way you get rid of being Bee Mario -- by encountering a baddy or by encountering some element in the environment that hurts you. Ice Mario can't shoot icicles or anything like that, so why not have allowed us to stay as Ice Mario and just ice skate around a pond for 2 minutes listening to kickass orchestrated music if we wanted to? *sigh* Oh well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games