UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

The day Muse lost over half it's fanbase

Muse released it's new album trailer today. It very possibly wins award for most surprising and unexpecting thing of the year.

BORKED

I recommend not reading any comments about it or anything and just going into this blindfolded, then read the comments.

It's as if a million fans cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I gather from your post and the comments that what I saw in the trailer was (a) not representative of the group's portfolio and/or (b) a betrayal of their anti-synthetic / Autotune / Dubstep / etc. philosophy.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Firstly, I didn't know album trailers were a thing now. Usually, musicians just release a part of a track or something as a teaser for the album, not a full fledged cinematic preview.

Secondly, using Youtube folks' opinions is generally a shitty idea if you want to know what's good in music. I saw the comments and the top two are currently "FUK U DEY R MUSICS AND DEY LIEK TO EXPERMENT." This is the same demographic (I'm talking about people who comment on Youtube) that constantly rag on artists for selling out once they start making music they don't like. Maybe that's what the comments were before, but certainly not what they are now.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
To be honest, I'm more interested than angered about this new sound style. It could be a good move for Muse; they've been reasonably varied in the past and it's worked. Here's hoping.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Firstly, I didn't know album trailers were a thing now. Usually, musicians just release a part of a track or something as a teaser for the album, not a full fledged cinematic preview.
This is Muse. They do things like that.

Shame I can't see the vid but here's hoping it's better than the last album - thought that one was a let-down myself.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
phoopes
Double Dragon

I've never been a huge fan of Muse, but hearing that computerized dubstep-ish sorta thing really disappoints me. They were respectable before- but now they've taken one giant leap in the wrong direction.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
It's different, now it sucks! Boo!

Except it still has their same underlying sound, and this is the wild card Muse. This is just another side of them they share. It's just the kind of thing they'd do.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
phoopes
Double Dragon

But Dupstep computerized music whatever shit you want to call it is still the same heaping pile of shit at its core. Doesn't matter if Skrillex does it, or Muse does their take on it, or whoever else. It's still gonna be terrible.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
ShadowElysium
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to ShadowElysium Send a message via MSN to ShadowElysium
Chill guys. Let's wait until the album comes out. Then we'll make our judgments.

Given, I actually kind of liked it. >>;
ShadowElysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Emp
Volcano Badge

So it’s the second law of thermodynamics?

All sounds good to me, so long as they don’t abandon their old stuff at gigs and tours. I’m interested to see what it actually sounds like, I think Bellamy’s voice would work well with dubstep – not that a lot of Muse’s current songs aren’t already electronic. If Muse has to lose half of its fanbase though, I just hope it’s the Twilight fangirls half.

FB • PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
ShadowElysium
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to ShadowElysium Send a message via MSN to ShadowElysium
Yeah. If you listen in the trailer, they refer extensively to it.
ShadowElysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
deoxys
Fog Badge

I am not personally against this, I think it actually sounds kind of interesting. I posted it for discussion, as there is no doubt today is a day a lot of Muse fans will remember as "the day everything changed".

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 06-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
So, as people can probably guess by my previously stated music preferences, Kusari is not a big fan of Muse. However, this isn't terrible. It's not "ZOMG GONNA DROP THE MONEY RIGHT NOW!" good but, it's something I'd maybe grab off of Frostwire or whatever the filesharing program is nowadays.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

TIL people still use Frostwire
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Kadota
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Kadota

Kadota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
TIL people still use Frostwire
Sorry Deo. Last time I stole music Frostwire was the big program to use. I'll make sure to clear my knowledge of program trends through you before I say anything about it again.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #17
Emp
Volcano Badge

So we have 3 singles off the album now – Survival (the official song of the 2012 Olympics), Unsustainable (the song that was included in the album trailer) and Madness (The album’s first single). I think we have a lot to go off now for what the rest of the album is going to be like. I’d like to get a few opinions on it, because looking at the youtube comments I feel like I’m the only person who hates this new direction Muse have gone in. Muse have never been my all-time favourite band, but I always respected their music and love some of their older songs like Plug-in baby.

Survival, I didn’t mind even though it’s a very cheesy song. I think I was caught up in the Olympic patriotism when I first listened to it though which may have clouded my judgement. I do think it fits the theme of the 2012 Olympics to a T though so I’m willing to give credit where credit’s due on this one. Still, it sounds a lot like Queen which I’ll get into more later.

Unsustainable sucked so much. Muse is like fruit and dubstep is like cake. Both can be good on their own, but when you mix them together you get fruitcake. Bleugh. The first part of the song reminds me of something out of a batman soundtrack, the second part is just generic dubstep and the third part is generic dubstep with a Matt Bellamy groan on top. I don’t think I’d hate this song as much if it wasn’t for the Youtube comments “shut up and enjoy the fuckin' music. It's muse, jesus. The best band nowadays (imo), they're just trying to do something new. Stop being dat way. I don't like dubstep either, but the music isn't THAT bad. They're genious.”

Madness, I’ve only heard once. It reminds me of ‘I want to break free’ by Queen and ‘Faith’ by George Michael so much. THIS ISN’T MUSE. The youtube comments on this one, you have to see for yourself… For me, this song makes 'Unsustainable' feel like 'Resistance'.

It’s possible no one will reply but I thought it’d be worth giving some follow up to this thread. There’s probably still another 10 tracks to go, and out of the three we’ve heard none of them are alike so there’s still hope for some decent music yet.

FB • PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Last edited by Emp; 08-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
deoxys
Fog Badge

Took me a few times to hear Madness before I liked it. I don't, however, much care for it as a Muse song.

Survival I enjoy. I like Unsustainable now. I love the orchestrated part, it has the big 'epic' sound Muse always has, and it makes you think (in regards to entropy).

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Survival is alright i guess. Despise the other two with a passion. I mean I loved muse before this, but this is just completely wrong. Muse weren't made for screechy brostep. Seems like a desperate grasp to move with whats popular to me, and not what they actually enjoy.

P.S. I would tell you all off for using the term Dubstep so loosely, but seeing as it gets misused all the time theres no point.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yes yes, it's not dubstep, it's more Electro/Complextro/Glitch hop etc.

Using the term 'dubstep' though when addressing those who might not know the other genres was the better decision, though, so as most if not everyone would know immediately what it was being compared with (the public's knowledge of 'dubstep', while completely misinformed, is not of artists like Burial, but rather Knife Party and Skrillex).

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
I don't like the new sound. But that won't stop me from enjoying their older stuff, so... I don't have a problem with it? Let musicians experiment. It's like, I love Bad Religion, and... imagine if Greg Graffin had never done his solo stuff D=

(Granted, I LOVE Greg Graffins solo stuff, but my point is that it's kinda in the nature of musicians to want to experiment and try new things reflecting their various interests and influences.)
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

I agree that bands should be allowed to branch out and explore their own sounds, and Muse has always been a band that does a lot of exploration and sounds great for it, but this sudden turn feels like they're joining a saturated crowd that's going to be yesterdays news any time now judging by the fact that dubstep/dubstep like music has been featured in commercials for Old Navy kids clothes and Willie Wonka Nerds.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

OK

I just listened to a leak on YouTube of the entire album.

I'm buying this physically on day one. I haven't bought a physical album in a long time, but this whole damn album is just pure gold in my opinion. Sure, a few songs have very obvious U2 and Radiohead influence

But really, the whole album is just genius. Every song is unique and different from the other, and the 'dubstep' theme we were worried about only had a small influence in two songs and was only prominent in the one this thread was created for. Okay, I take this back, Follow Me is actually kinda dub heavy.

God tier songs: Supremacy, Panic Station, Follow Me, Big Freeze, Isolated System

Great songs: Prelude, Survival, Animals, Explorers, Save Me

OK: Madness, Liquid State, Unsustainable

I don't think I disliked anything.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

Last edited by deoxys; 09-24-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #24
Torkoal Stu
This

I haven't formed an entire opinion of the whole album yet, mainly because I listen to an album 3/4 times before I 'officially' decide some kind of firm opinion on it. Mainly as it gives songs a chance to grow and its difficult to take in all the little subtle moments and such on a first listen.

But my pre-official opinion is I just don't understand why they launched with the album with Madness at all, there's definitely better stuff here. The mind boggles. But I think after a few more listens it'll shape up to be a pretty good album, not their best though (but that is difficult as they have such a strong discography) but definitely not the trainwreck people predicted off the back of Madness when it debuted a few months back.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I'm actually really digging this, from what I've heard. I am loving Madness. It may be because I've always been a huge fan of the classics and most modern stuff doesn't strike me the right way, but I love the older feel that it presents, and how it mixes it with a more modern atmosphere at the same time.

I dunno. I've always liked Queen and George Michael, so.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment