UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #301
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've been playing too much Yu-Gi-Oh!. I see DR and think "Dragon Rulers". >_>

Imma watch this episode soon, then read the posts then do a write-up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #302
Red Panda
head head bitch

I'm rewatching episode 10 to see if I missed anything between the lines. Nothing yet. I did find one little tidbit I find interesting though. The halls are usually lit pink or green, the respective colors of Kirigiri and Naegi. Doesn't affect anything really. Just something interesting I found that the creators most likely put in because they can.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #303
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Are you colorblind, by chance? Kirigiri's pretty clearly purple, not pink. O_o (I mean, it's a reddish purple rather than a bluish purple, sure, but ...)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #304
Red Panda
head head bitch

The color of Kirigiri's introduction background(found in my sig, albeit slightly pixelly) seemed somewhat similar to the lighting. I suppose that you could get specific with the colors, but I felt like pointing out how the male and female leads had similar signature colors to the lighting of the school hallways.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #305
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
"Luckster" would mean "a person who is very lucky." It's the -ster suffix that does it. Like ...
  • hipster (someone who is hip)
  • mobster (someone who works for the mob)
  • gangster (someone who is part of a gang)
So on and so forth.

But you're right: Naegi's original title was 超高校級の「幸運」, or "Super High School Good Luck". So it is possible for some of the students to be nicknamed after abstract ideas, I guess.

It sure is strange though that Naegi wasn't named 幸運児 (which is the word which means "a person who is very lucky" using the same two characters for good luck, 幸運, that Naegi's title uses) considering that they do indeed have a word for this. Why the abstract title? Strange.

(Episode 10)

Spoiler: show
That stated, the combination of your need to try and clarify (or muddle? ) this issue and UTW's decision to go with "Despair" over "Despairer" / "Despairster" / [other titles that'd render the person a PERSON and not an abstract idea] makes me feel like we may be onto something.
Luckster translation for Naegi actually works as-is and is clear to the reader, but...
I cannot go deeper into the SHSL Despair thing without someone crying "SPOILER", even in a purely linguistic way.
Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
>Why the abstract title? Strange.

Without giving too much away about SDR2 (very, very light spoilers for the second game, if you even call them spoilers)...

A character who shares this title expands on what it means to be SHSL Good Luck; he actually has uncannily good luck in that he is able to take ridiculous gambles and reliably succeed. That isn't really made clear in Naegi's case (though there are a few important instances where his Good Luck saves his hide!), but the second game expands on the implications of this abstract concept for a title. It's not even that he's really a lucky person in and of himself, it's more that he has this crazy control over the events around him that make him seem to be able to manipulate luck. Therefore, it's not that he's an exceptionally lucky person, but more of an embodiment of luck itself. If that makes sense?
Yes Jeri, THOSE ARE SPOILERS.

For some reason Dangan Ronpa has started to stretch the limits of what people consider "light spoilers" these days.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #306
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Dang, a lot was dropped in this episode.

Episode 10

At first it looked to me like Naegi killed Mukuro, but it's pretty clear now that it's probably a fake body, or one of the previous dead girls dressed up like Kirigiri. She has Kirigiri's boots, and a tatoo on her hand (notice that Kirigiri wears gloves to conceal what would be on her hands), and the body was destroyed. Hence, the mask to hide the identity.

I wasn't surprised about the game show thing. I already predicted as much. Monokuma's creator is a terrorist who gets his/her kicks out of horrifying the world. That's the only reason to go to such extreme extent to showcase something like this. There's more efficient ways to send a political or social message, but nothing really riles people up like visualizing the Stanford Prison Experiment.

Granted, I wonder if Alter Ego is the "Mastermind"? He's already been executed, but that's why you wouldn't expect him to be the Mastermind...normally we'd count the dead characters as out. I can't imagine anyone outside of Fujisaki who would be proficient enough in programming and computers to be able to hijack the encrypted, national TV waves. They'd have to have Fujisaki's intelligence, and Togami's family resources to maintain it.

Something I'm curious about. If Monokuma is found guilty in the next trial (since it's obvious he was the one who either dressed up a dead body or killed Mukuro) does that imply his boss is a student, too? He didn't get put on trial for killing Enoshima, but if Monokuma isn't a valid target in the trial that means that everyone's going to die, since they're going to pick the wrong person for execution no matter what.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #307
Red Panda
head head bitch

Completely spoilered on request from lost. Episode 10 speculation.

Ok, here's the picture proof:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Google Docs don't fail me now.

>Dopple

More Episode 10 speculation
You bring up a lot of good points. I suppose that it would take a level of intelligence to hack into the radio waves, which Fujisaki specializes in. I don't really see Togami helping. He doesn't seem like the person to give out money unless he has direct benefit, and I don't think that he derives pleasure from despair. But is is still a possibility. The second thing you brought up that caught my interest was, What if one of the students is the mastermind? It's a possibility I hadn't even thought of until now, but it seems somewhat probable. Could one of the students have pulled a fake death like Yamada and actually be behind this whole thing? I have no idea who, but Fujisaki does seem like a good guess. I had also wondered about Monokuma being found guilty, and what would happen after that. If the body really is Enoshima, then the killer is Monobear, right?

Last edited by Red Panda; 09-10-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #308
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 11:

Not much to say this week really. The only thing of note is something I can't even recall if I ever posted here: speculation that the principal was Kyouko's father and that that was why she was so determined to find the mastermind and to discourage Naegi from thinking that the principal was behind all of this. I don't think I posted it because it seemed too unlikely; if I did post it, cool; if not, oh well.

Beyond that, though, the episode was pretty hollow. The courtroom trial sucked. The jury convicting Naegi rather than Kyouko seemed very farfetched. Naegi not ratting out Kyouko and her possession of the master key seemed even less likely. Alter Ego rescuing Naegi felt rather deus ex machina-ey instead of feeling, as I'm sure it was supposed to feel, like a brilliantly set up outcome. Probably the thing that bothered me most though in the first half was the fact that so much evidence (like the tarp, the body's dryness, and the missing chicken) was withheld from television viewers until they were brought up in court. It made it pretty much impossible to foretell the characters' reasoning, which is kind of the hallmark of a poorly-written mystery. Probably a problem relegated to just the TV adaptation, but still.

Second half wasn't much better. Naegi's time spent in the trash was ridiculously short for us at home. He takes a nap to "conserve his energy" not even two minutes after arriving, the only thing he'd done before then being the examination of two articles of trash, the front door, and then yelling up at the ceiling defiantly. Dumb. Kyouko then shows up mere seconds (to us) later ... and it's not even really explained how. Even dumber -- since she has the master key, why didn't she go the safer way, from the "exit" (in her case the entrance) on down the ladder and towards Naegi? Why go hurtling down a garbage chute, risking broken bones or worse?

But worst of all ... Kyouko merely scared Ikusaba away in Naegi's bedroom? She didn't try to knock him/her out? Seriously? Oh COME ON! I appreciate that she may not want to kill anyone under any circumstances, but still: clobbering a guy upside the head with a beam of wood is well within her domain, I should think, when Naegi's life is on the line!

Had been excited for this episode. Now I'm the opposite of excited for next week's.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #309
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I haven't watched the episode yet but...

It seems like this part of the game doesn't translate very well into the anime (which doesn't surprise me that much). The game makes a pretty big effort to show how confusing this part of the trial is, enough so to show how Naegi is pretty easily thrown under the bus.

I also think it's worth pointing out the motivation for Naegi trusting Kirigiri. Here's what the anime left out (Don't worry, there's no spoilers).

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #310
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I haven't watched the episode yet but...

It seems like this part of the game doesn't translate very well into the anime (which doesn't surprise me that much). The game makes a pretty big effort to show how confusing this part of the trial is, enough so to show how Naegi is pretty easily thrown under the bus.

I also think it's worth pointing out the motivation for Naegi trusting Kirigiri. Here's what the anime left out (Don't worry, there's no spoilers).
Click on Youtube links at your own risk. That's pretty much clear already - the Internet is not a good place for avoiding DR-spoilers.

Quote:
Episode 11:

Not much to say this week really. The only thing of note is something I can't even recall if I ever posted here: speculation that the principal was Kyouko's father and that that was why she was so determined to find the mastermind and to discourage Naegi from thinking that the principal was behind all of this. I don't think I posted it because it seemed too unlikely; if I did post it, cool; if not, oh well.

Beyond that, though, the episode was pretty hollow. The courtroom trial sucked. The jury convicting Naegi rather than Kyouko seemed very farfetched. Naegi not ratting out Kyouko and her possession of the master key seemed even less likely. Alter Ego rescuing Naegi felt rather deus ex machina-ey instead of feeling, as I'm sure it was supposed to feel, like a brilliantly set up outcome. Probably the thing that bothered me most though in the first half was the fact that so much evidence (like the tarp, the body's dryness, and the missing chicken) was withheld from television viewers until they were brought up in court. It made it pretty much impossible to foretell the characters' reasoning, which is kind of the hallmark of a poorly-written mystery. Probably a problem relegated to just the TV adaptation, but still.

Second half wasn't much better. Naegi's time spent in the trash was ridiculously short for us at home. He takes a nap to "conserve his energy" not even two minutes after arriving, the only thing he'd done before then being the examination of two articles of trash, the front door, and then yelling up at the ceiling defiantly. Dumb. Kyouko then shows up mere seconds (to us) later ... and it's not even really explained how. Even dumber -- since she has the master key, why didn't she go the safer way, from the "exit" (in her case the entrance) on down the ladder and towards Naegi? Why go hurtling down a garbage chute, risking broken bones or worse?

But worst of all ... Kyouko merely scared Ikusaba away in Naegi's bedroom? She didn't try to knock him/her out? Seriously? Oh COME ON! I appreciate that she may not want to kill anyone under any circumstances, but still: clobbering a guy upside the head with a beam of wood is well within her domain, I should think, when Naegi's life is on the line!

Had been excited for this episode. Now I'm the opposite of excited for next week's.
And I just finished watching the episode and can agree with Jerichi: this part of the game was actually amazing to read/watch, but the anime pretty much butchered it.

Basically, the game has a decent trial part that gets to accusing Kyoko of lying - and then ends with her execution, which is the Detention execution, taken all the way to completion and Kyoko getting turned into slatter on the walls. Naegi proceeds to tell the player that the rest of the cast then decided to spend a peaceful life in the school, away from the rest of the world (we even get a picture with Aoi, Naegi, Togami and Hagakure - and their children! Seems like Fukawa passed away at some point). The narration then returns to the trial before you accused Kyoko of stuff in an "it was all a dream" manner.

After watching Kyoko's execution, it's a whole lot more effective when you see Naegi put right in the execution she was just killed in. Then Alter Ego swoops in and saves the day and we can all be relieved that this wasn't the end.

So yes. The anime really couldn't do justice to this part. Not without an episode that ended with Kyoko's execution and Bad End, with possibly the "it was my imagination" bit shown post-credits - we can thank the episode quota for this one.

But Talon, did you have any thoughts on
Kyoko Kirigiri, Super High School Level Detective? Or was it already getting too obvious?

I have a feeling how the next episode will go. Can't wait to see how you unspoiled lab rats folks will react to it...
Old 09-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #311
Red Panda
head head bitch

Episode 11:
Not much to say here... basically read Talon's post. I clicked Jeri's link. It really is a much better ending. Since it was under "Extras" I thought that it was an alternate ending, but alas. No more clues on the mastermind, though I will probably rewatch the episode to look for possible clues. There don't seem to be any though.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #312
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Episode 11:

Yeah, I wondered this too. Don't think it made much sense in the game either.

Guess they just wanted to show Kirigiri with a cup of ramen on her head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Basically, the game has a decent trial part that gets to accusing Kyoko of lying - and then ends with her execution, which is the Detention execution, taken all the way to completion and Kyoko getting turned into slatter on the walls. Naegi proceeds to tell the player that the rest of the cast then decided to spend a peaceful life in the school, away from the rest of the world (we even get a picture with Aoi, Naegi, Togami and Hagakure - and their children! Seems like Fukawa passed away at some point). The narration then returns to the trial before you accused Kyoko of stuff in an "it was all a dream" manner.
For a laugh(?):

Incidentally, Hagakure predicts early on in the game that he and Naegi will have children by the same mother.

Also according to the uploader in the link Jeri posted, apparently Fukawa's not dead but had Togami hold her portrait since she's the one taking the picture. (Does that mean the child with glasses is theirs?)

Btw, is the animé slated for 12 or 13 eps?

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 09-14-2013 at 01:46 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #313
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was disappointed as well. I watched the episode last night but didn't care enough to write about it.

I was frustrated that Kirigiri ratted out Naegi. She was more willing to put solving the school's mystery over the life of her own friend. That the others also voted on Naegi without clearly thinking after their resolution from the last trial was similarly sad. No, Kirigiri rescuing Naegi does not undo condemning him to death, because if it wasn't for Alter Ego he would be dead.

The fact that Naegi actually held lip for Kirigiri was incredibly admirable. I didn't think he realized he would get executed for doing so - basically, while Naegi is a really good guy, I don't think he's an altruistic saint who would sacrifice himself. He clearly showed great fear when Monokuma threatened to execute him again and would lose his nerve at the thought. But that he made a decision like that in spite of the risk, even if he didn't think too hard about it, puts him leagues above the other characters in likeability.

Finally, Monokuma has basically said that his "boss" is either Enoshima Junko or Ikusaba Mukurou. Monokuma said only 16 living people were in Kibougamine when the show began, meaning that Kirigiri's father the headmaster is dead (and is the person we saw executed in the first episode) because that would have made 17 people. Currently, there's nine dead students and 7 living ones including the boss. Barring one of the other students faking their deaths, which seems unlikely, the one student who isn't with the group is the culprit. And since we've never seen Mukurou/Junko in the same room, it's either of those two.

If Monokuma can alter memories, it's possible that Mukurou was initially cosplaying as Junko under his mind control - that would explain why Monokuma executed "Junko", for the threat of that disguise coming unraveled. Junko was the only character that Monokuma personally killed, and for rather flimsy reasons when we consider the point of this game is for reality TV entertainment. Everyone else was killed by another student. I think it would be a pretty visually impressive twist too to have a character seemingly "come back to life" in an anime where death is apparently quite permanent.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #314
Red Panda
head head bitch

Dopple voted Super Duper High School Detective.

That theory is also backed by my evidence of the body being Junko, or in this case, possibly Mukurou under mind control as Junko. But I don't see how you drew such a conclusion. Mukurou and most of the other characters have never been in the same room at once, which would make them suspects too.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #315
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

A huuuuge part of why this episode makes sense was left out and only in the game. I think everyone was worried about how the show would handle this and it looks like they didn't deal with it well.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #316
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda15 View Post
Dopple voted Super Duper High School Detective.

That theory is also backed by my evidence of the body being Junko, or in this case, possibly Mukurou under mind control as Junko. But I don't see how you drew such a conclusion. Mukurou and most of the other characters have never been in the same room at once, which would make them suspects too.
Yeah there was that, but it was obvious for a while that Kirigiri was doing detective-like things, so I was less surprised by that reveal.

Here's my logic. And it involves the post you brought up which got into my head the idea that the body was Junko's-

1. There's 16 people in the school at the start, no more. Monokuma revealed this this episode.
2. Junko and Enoshima are counted as members of this group, since both have seats in the trial room.
3. Junko was killed early and her body recycled by Monokuma for some reason.
4. Monokuma burned the body's face so she couldn't be ID'd.
5. Monokuma tried to use the body to frame Kirigiri for murder, claiming it was Ikusaba Mukuro.

The body is obviously Junko's. So, if Monokuma is telling the truth, and the body is Mukuro, then she died pretending to be Junko. If Monokuma is lying, then his master is Mukuro, which is Kirigiri's original presumption in the first place.

The truth is either one of these possibilities. But I rather like the disguise idea, because Dangan Ronpa has an interest in surprising the audience, and that would be surprising because I didn't really think it possible until this episode.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #317
Red Panda
head head bitch

Now I understand. I'd like to bring up that although Monokuma is a a twisted and evil bear/robot/thing. He has never lied. I could be mistaken, but I don't think that he has. That puts Mukurou disguised as Junko, and Junko as the mastermind. That's what I'm going to guess based on yours and my information/predictions.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #318
Talon87
時の彼方へ

One old clue that you guys could be correct:

Way back when, in like Episode 01 or 02, we saw that scene where Sakura was talking to Junko at the breakfast table and she commented on how Junko looked different from her pictures in the magazines. Junko blamed it on the magazines being PhotoShopped pictures of her, but what if Sakura was inadvertently onto something? What if the reason Enoshima Junko looked a little strange to Sakura was because she wasn't the real Enoshima Junko?

The thing is though, for you guys to be right, there'll ultimately have to be some explanation as to the mastermind's motive(s). I'd like to here what you think that/those may be.

All we really know about Junko is that she was a celebrity. Why would she care to host a reality TV show where children are invited to kill or else spend the rest of their lives behind bars?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #319
Red Panda
head head bitch

I must've dismissed the Sakura part.

>Motives

Well, they did all go to school together, right? Maybe she just wanted to kill them. Or she wants despair since in episode 11 there is a lot of talk about Hope vs Despair.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #320
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm talking motives unique to that character. Nothing you just came up with connects to {your suspect} any more than it would any of the other characters we've seen. You may as well charge:

Fujisaki or Togami

with the murders by that logic. No, what I'm saying is, I want to hear what sort of motive {your suspect and specifically your suspect} might have had.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #321
Red Panda
head head bitch

Hmmm.

All I can think of is more publicity for her. She gets even more famous, whether good or bad.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #322
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Would you consider that smart or stupid of the writers? ^_^; Would you be pleased if that was their explanation? I know I sure as hell wouldn't be.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #323
Red Panda
head head bitch

I wouldn't be pleased at all, but that's the only thing I can think of. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #324
deoxys
Fog Badge

Watched the new episode RAW. Spoilers!

THE QUEEN HAS ARRIVED

THE ONE, THE ONLY, TRUE WAIFU
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #325
kaisap112
Volcano Badge