Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 07-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #276
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I want to design a word based on two criteria:

-it's a reference to Baldur's Gate
-it has some kind of mystic/demon double meaning

The spell I'm looking at is "Minor Globe of Invulnerability". In-game, the globe made you invulnerable to most low level spells.

So I looked at something that might translate to "repelling globe" and decided to use the name satan, famous in Christianity not just as "the devil" but the word itself being used to refer to "enemies, adversaries".

I went to WordReference and asked the Hebrews about the roots of the word "satan" since it specifically refers to an entity and not a concept, and they said "sata" suffices more in the abstract concept of opposition. So I have,

サタンスフィア (satansufia)
サタスフィア (satasufia)
サタニスフィア (satanisphere)

Which of these sounds the best? Easiest to say? Makes the most sense as a pun (the first can also read as "Satan's Fear" although that doesn't have much meaning for my purposes).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #277
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Well, it depends on the feel you're going for. 'Satanisphere' is the one which most carries the 'Words of Power' feel, as in you can hear the name and go "Oh, that name and that spell make sense. They match up. The words are clearly evoking the effect". On the other hand, 'Satasufia' is on the other end of the spectrum- It easily flows off the tongue, and so carries this kinda mystical and beyond comprehension feel to it.

Urk, I'm speaking in tongues. Let me try that again- To use classic fantasy as an example, 'Satanisphere' sounds more like 'human magic', while 'Satasufia' sounds more like 'elven magic'. I wouldn't really suggest satansufia unless you really want to make that pun. It has this conflictedness to it which would work if it was, like, a combination spell cast by two or more people, but is a little jarring solo.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #278
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Thanks for the input, you saved me making a triple post I didn't want to!

I wasn't completely satisfied with the above word, so I looked into making another pun and picked this:

イオノスフィア / Ionosufia
アイオノスフィア / Ainosufia

"ionosphere" is pronounced like the latter in English, but since the word in Japanese is 電離層 / でんりそう. Which of the kana choices is correct?

I believe I have some flexibility here - I want to make the pun 庵の球 (Io no Tama, Sphere of Sanctuary) and "イオノスフィア".

Evidence for: The Japanese pronunciation of Ion is "Ee-ohn" (イオン) despite the English being "Ai-ohn".

Evidence against: More hits for アイオノスフィア than イオノスフィア on Google searches.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #279
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Okay, how bad is this pun? Tell me honestly...;_;

ポータル (Poutaru) [Portal]
プール (Puuru) [Pool]
プータル (Puutaru) [Pootal]

The English doesn't look serious...I'm still brainstorming here.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #280
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

More serious question this time around. I asked for some help and finally got this sentence straight:

空を飛んでる鳥が海を見下ろす Sora o tonderu tori ga umi o miorosu

"Birds flying in the sky overlook the sea"

The idea is to look down over the world from a high place. In English, we have a similar metaphor called the "Bird's-eye view". Well, apparently Japanese has that exact phrase translated, too!

鳥瞰図 Choukanzu

"Bird's eye view"

Issue: I can't decide between which I'd rather use. The former is more poetic (more dramatic?), but since the purpose of the kanji is to provide more information, I don't want to mince my words and confuse the reader. The latter describes it perfectly but requires a rare kanji, as does the similar "俯瞰 Fukan". Since my work is intended to be for elementary readers (as it's largely based on anime aimed at young audiences, and conveniently would allow me to conceal my own basic writing abilities) I want to keep the kanji and concepts fairly simple, with any entendre not obscuring a self-apparent definition.

Another possibility looking on the Japanese Wikipedia was "大局観 Taikyokukan" which uses all elementary kanji. It's a term used in Igo (or Go) to refer to analyzing all possible moves and being able to make the right one. The intent of what I want to use for this is similar to an "assessment" so perhaps that would be more fitting overall. But does that term appear self-evident? The use of kyouku to me is a bit strange.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #281
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So I'm not sure what the difference between ending a sentence with 'ね' and 'ですか' is. Is it something to do with formality or...?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #282
Talon87
時の彼方へ

か at the end of a sentence is the question marker. You can think of it like a question mark.

ね at the end of a sentence is the confirmation marker. Its analogues in English would be expressions like "right?", "am I right?", etc.

Sample sentences, written with spaces and no kanji:

あなた は ねこ です か。 Are you a cat?
なん さい です か。 How old are you?
りんご が ほしい です か。 Do you want an apple?
そう です か。 Is that so?

これ は あつい です ね。 This sure is hot, isn't it?
からい です ね。 Spicy, isn't it?
ゆるして くれる よ ね? You'll forgive me, won't you?
そう です ね。 That's true, isn't it? (tone conveys agreement)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #283
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Looking for some opinions.

In Dungeons & Dragons, there are several spell schools. I have the Japanese writing for most of them, and they are written in on-yomi and end with jutsu.

防御術 Bougyoujutsu = Abjuration
召喚術 Shoukanjutsu = Conjuration
占術 Senjutsu = Divination
心術 Shinjutsu = Enchantment
力術 Ryokujutsu = Evocation
幻術 Genjutsu = Illusion
死霊術 Shiryoujutsu = Necromancy
変成術 Henseijutsu = Transmutation

I also discovered "Alteration" which is 変更術.

I want to write "teleportation" in the same style but the term in Japanese is 瞬間移動, or Instant Space Movement. But "shunkanidoujutsu" has more syllables than the others, and I don't think it would be very fun to say in a panic situation.

What I've considered is just using the term "warp" which I've heard a lot more commonly in anime anyway, and I think it gets the term across much better than 瞬間移動. But does it sound better?

ワープ術 wāpujutsu
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #284
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
In One Piece there is a monster called a "kashigami". It's a giant snake, basically, and "kashigami" is supposed to be more of a description-name. The only Japanese provided is カシ神.

However, the trivia is quite cryptic:

Said sentence implies the name "kashigami" means a kind of snake, but I've yet to find any kanji that suggests such a thing. I have no idea what this name is supposed to mean, or the relevance of the 'trivia'.

So what is "kashi", written in kana, in this context? Is the trivia more misinformative than FYI?
I think I've solved this mystery. カシ refers to a great oak, and was meant to convey a snake so thick that its girth resembled the trunk of a tree. It's one step removed from a literal meaning but fits the trivia suggesting the islanders had no idea what the snake looked like, and the name was only a hint at best.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #285
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

So I'm planning to apply to JET CIR (basically the more advanced, more competitive version) this year, but I'm sort of worried that my Japanese is nowhere near up to snuff to even qualify for an interview for this program. I basically have until February to get to the point where I need to be, but would prefer to be at that point by December so I can take a JLPT level then. My biggest issue is that standard methods of Japanese study that everyone suggests (Anki, textbooks, Heisig etc.) don't really work for me. Pretty much all the Japanese I've learned, I've picked up through class or through passive exposure through conversation/media, but it's probably not going to be enough to give me that extra little push to hit the (pretty much required) JLPT 2 stage I should probably be at by December. I feel pretty safely within the JLPT 3 range at the moment and could probably pass the test with only a month of studying, but if I want to do 2, I'll need to cover some major ground. I've already bought a book in anticipation of this, hoping that it'll give me something concrete to focus on, but I know from experience that just having it won't be enough.

Any suggestions?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #286
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Does that apply to any form of learning for you, or just Japanese?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #287
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

It's a trend for language learning for me; I tend to pick things up through context, not rote, which makes it hard when all you want to learn is new vocabulary.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:13 PM   #288
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I didn't post a week ago because I did not feel qualified to give advice for an exam I have not sat myself. But I feel bad now seeing as no one else responded to you either until Doppel did just now, so ...

I suppose a good starting place for knowing how to prepare for the exam would be to ask the Internet how closely the exam's difficulty level mirrors that of the sample questions provided for free on the website. If people in the know indicate that it's a close match or that the actual exam is even more difficult, then you'll know how much your work is cut out for you depending on how easily you can answer those sample questions. If instead they indicate that the real exam is easier than the sample questions, then I guess that would mean that if you can ace the samples then you're already in a good position.

Answering your question about how best to study, at this level of language study, is really difficult for me to answer in a way that wouldn't cause more harm than help. Everyone learns differently and you're at a point now where you're far beyond the basics. I could give you suggestions for how to passively and actively absorb information over the span of several years, but advice for how to "cram yet not cram" over the next four months is considerably harder to do in a way that will surely cause no harm.

I'm not sure if this will be of much help to you given your time frame, but I think the most tried and true method for learning advanced vocabulary and grammar passively is via repeated exposure. If you're not already reading Japanese daily (at least one manga chapter daily), then you should be. If you're not watching Japanese television daily (at least half an hour a day), then you should be.

With special regards to the reading section of the N2 exam (given what I saw of it in the sample questions), remind yourself how to take an SAT-style exam since it's clear that you're probably going to run out of time in the reading sections if you try to read them slowly and deliberately. I mean, you can certainly read every last word of them if you're already fluent, but if you're already fluent then what are you doing sitting an N2 anyway? ^^; You won't be able to skim answers though: which means that you'll want to be at a point where you feel you can read the answers fluently and quickly.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #289
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My advice would be to cram and absorb passively- maintain the level of comfort you have for passive learning and set aside two or three hours each day to cram/drill. Even if you remember things with 100% clarity through passive experience, the nature of that method limits the total amount of information you're exposed to. At worst, if you cram it just doesn't sink in, since I've never heard of any case where cramming antagonizes gradual learning.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #290
Mercutio
Banned

I do not trust Google Translate and you guys are all disconcertingly talented. How would you write "Rising Sun" and "Waning Moon" in Japanese, using the Latin alphabet as opposed to kanji? Any ideas? This is for a Solrock and Lunatone ASB pairing. Thanks!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #291
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There's something like that straight out of Muv-Luv, should you be so interested. Doesn't fit the bill exactly but it's relatively close.

悠陽 Yuuhi - Eternal Day
冥夜 Meiya - Dark Night

Incidentally, I was actually looking for "setting sun" as part of a name for Jinsei wa Hikikomogomo!. You don't want to use "nippon" because that just means "sun base" or "sun origin", which does not match the Western romanticism of "rising sun".

I'd pick "shagetsu" for "waning moon" (斜月). 斜 is used pretty frequently from what I've found when used in reference to the descent of a heavenly body (usually the sun, "nichibotsu" 日斜 is the term for sunset).

For "rising sun" I'd use 暁 Akatsuki, for daybreak. If you want some harmony with it "higure" (日暮れ) for "nightfall" sneaks in "sun" in the romanji in the same way "akatsuki" does moon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #292
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I do not trust Google Translate and you guys are all disconcertingly talented. How would you write "Rising Sun" and "Waning Moon" in Japanese, using the Latin alphabet as opposed to kanji? Any ideas? This is for a Solrock and Lunatone ASB pairing. Thanks!
The reason Japan is romantically called "the Land of the Rising Sun" is because that's literally what the name of Japan, 日本, means:
  • 日, ni, "sun"
  • 本, hon, "origin"
So "Nihon" (Japan) is the "Sun's Origin" or, in more Victorian eloquent English, "the Land of the Rising Sun."

If you literally want the verb for "to rise," then you probably want 昇る noboru which means "to ascend" and is commonly used with the sun's rising. So for example, if you wanted the transliteration of the English "the rising sun," i.e. the sun that is rising, then it'd be something like 昇っている日 nobotteiru hi. (For pronunciation with English non-IPA phonics, no-BO-{glottal stop}-teh-ee-roo | hee.)

For "the waning Moon," on the other hand, I would have to take a dictionary-informed guess that you want to use 欠ける, a verb I'm used to associating with fragments (欠けら) and chipped things but which the dictionary kindly informs me is the verb (possibly the only verb? certainly the only one it returned ...) that is used for the meaning "(of the moon) to wane; to go into eclipse." Given this, "the waning moon" i.e. the moon that is waning would be 欠けている月 kaketeiru tsuki. (For pronunciation with English non-IPA phonic, kah-keh-teh-ee-roo | tsu-kee.) Better than this is the actual expression 欠けてゆく月 kaketeyuku tsuki which means "waning moon" and sounds much more authentic and poetic. Same principle, just that they used a different auxiliary verb. A third option in the dictionary, one that doesn't even use 欠-based words, is 下弦の月 kagen no tsuki, which translates to "waning moon" but literally makes reference to the "bowstring" or "chord" (弦) of the Moon declining (下). In astronomy, 下弦 specifically refers to the final quarter of the Moon's phase. So another way to translate the expression would be "the Moon of the Final Quarter."

But what I've offered so far would be like taglines for the creatures, not personal names. Like, in the example, "And in the red corner, the Grounder from Down Under: DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGERSBYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!", these phrases would be where the "Grounder from Down Under" bit would be and not the bit where "Diggersby" goes. This gets back to Doppel's own questions about weapon names. While we found ample evidence supporting both models, it remains my gut instinct that a name like 昇日 (read as shoujitsu if I had to guess) is what your Solrock would have rather than 昇っている日 (read as nobotteiru hi). The latter is a noun phrase; the former is a single word that thus reads like a name. So if you're going for nicknames along the lines of Sparky and Mary Jane, then I suppose what you're really after would be Shoujitsu / Shounichi for the Solrock and Keggetsu / Kengetsu / Ketsugetsu (lol no but it sounds cute) / Keggatsu / Kengatsu for the Lunatone. Note that none of these are real words though (at least not so far as I can find), hence why I'm having to take blind stabs in the dark at how they'd even be read. ~_~ My inclinations would be Shoujitsu for the Sun one and Kengetsu or Keggatsu for the Moon one, but the Moon one man if I really don't know.

Conveniently, if you don't like the sound of any of the names for Lunatone, I think that Kaketsuki (欠け月 or alternatively 欠月 with the け implied) would be a legit alternative. Along those same lines, you could probably get away with Noborihi (昇り日) for Solrock if you like the sound of that one best. Problematically, Noborihi only nets a paltry 14,000 Google hits in Japanese while Kaketsuki (as expected) comfortably nets several hundred thousand. That one just sounds right to me. Even if, apparently, they have other terms for the waning Moon.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Doppel. His answers are a heck of a lot more poetic but also less accurate. They're good picks if semantic accuracy isn't key, if you came in here looking for purples and are willing to walk out with blues. I've striven to give you purples but a lot of what I've offered is surgically precise, with all the sterility that that can imply.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #293
Mercutio
Banned

Man language is fascinating, I really hope I turn out to be good at Mandarin. Thanks guys!

Yeah I'll think on it, I like the poetry of some of Doppel's suggestions but you've both been really helpful
Old 08-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #294
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Out of curiosity, could you not use the perfective forms of 'to be born' (which google refuses to tell me) and 'to die' (Korosu, if Magi's taught me properly :P) with the sun and moon as the subject to get the same general idea? So, in English, "The Dying Moon" and... "The Sun Which Is Being Born"? Or, if going for physical direction rather than the poetic meaning, perhaps something like 'tsuki kudani iku' and 'hi jouni iku'? I'm likely completely off base here, so please tell me where I've messed up~ ^_^
Quote:
Old 08-30-2014, 03:18 AM   #295
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Out of curiosity, could you not use the perfective forms of 'to be born' (which google refuses to tell me) and 'to die' (Korosu, if Magi's taught me properly :P) with the sun and moon as the subject to get the same general idea? So, in English, "The Dying Moon" and... "The Sun Which Is Being Born"? Or, if going for physical direction rather than the poetic meaning, perhaps something like 'tsuki kudani iku' and 'hi jouni iku'? I'm likely completely off base here, so please tell me where I've messed up~ ^_^
"to die" is "shinu", korosu is "to kill". There's several verbs for birth (as there is for death) but the shortest I see is sansu. The infinitives for both are shini and sanshi.

'dying moon' would be "shinigetsu". Similar to shinigami if you've heard of that, or "death god". It doesn't sound too bad I think. "born sun" is the less nice sounding "sanshinichi" or "sanshijitsu". If you want to go for sound and eschew accuracy, opting for the on/kun mixing like "sanshibi" or "sanshika" work too.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #296
Mercutio
Banned

Like all good qualtitative researchers, I'm choosing aesthetics over precision and shooting for "shagetsu" for "waning moon" and "Akatsuki", for daybreak. Thanks for the help though all.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #297
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

And now I'm going to end up using Higure at some point. Yay for lurking. *should really brush up on kanji*

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #298
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
To die is 死ぬ shinu. To kill is 殺す korosu. Doppel noted this yesterday.

To be born is 生まれる umareru. It can also be written as 産まれる, using the 産 character, which reflects its connection with 産む umu "to give birth to; to deliver (e.g. a baby)". Though I should note in turn that umu can also be written 生む. So it goes both ways, just that it's more common to see 産む for umu and 生まれる for umareru.

I can't comment on your romaji offerings as I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. For example, hijouni is normally all one word, an adverb, but I gather from the context of this conversation that you want hi to be the Sun and jou ni to be ... other stuff ... that I have no idea what you're trying to communicate. ^^;

Quote:
"to die" is "shinu", korosu is "to kill". There's several verbs for birth (as there is for death) but the shortest I see is sansu. The infinitives for both are shini and sanshi.

'dying moon' would be "shinigetsu". Similar to shinigami if you've heard of that, or "death god". It doesn't sound too bad I think. "born sun" is the less nice sounding "sanshinichi" or "sanshijitsu". If you want to go for sound and eschew accuracy, opting for the on/kun mixing like "sanshibi" or "sanshika" work too.
By way of comparison with shinigami, you'd be wrong to teach that shinigetsu means "the dying moon" rather than "the death moon". (After all, a shinigami is not a "dying god"!) There are complexities of grammar I'm not going to go into here with -ます stems appended to nouns. I just want to offer that the literal translation of "the dying moon" would be 死んでいる月 shindeiru tsuki.

I have never heard of sansu before. That's my ignorance, I guess, but suffice to say that I have read many, many stories in my time dealing with conception and childbirth and not once that I can recall have I seen 産 take す. You see the character 産 in compound words like 産卵 or in verbs like 産む, but never as 産す. Even the idea of it having the onyomi of the character (産's onyomi is さん) appended to a す to turn it into a verb feels abnormal to me, like it's a corruption of 産する and the る got dropped over time as people became lazy. (Indeed, Breen seems to suggest this very phenomenon by indicating in his entry for 産す "see: 産する".) While it's clearly a legitimate word, suffice to say that it is nowhere near the default or most common. If you want "to be born," you want 生まれる umareru. And if you want "to give birth," you want 産む umu.

I think you became confused when you kept writing sanshi in neologized words. The onyomi for 産 isn't sanshi but san. When you say sanshi, it makes me think 産死, "birth and death". Which is an asymmetric word pair anyway and thus blegh no thank you. :\ (Suffice to say it's not a word in the dictionary.)

I know you want to help answer questions, guys, and by no means does this thread have to be the Talon & Jeri Show exclusively, but primum non nocere. :\
Old 09-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #299
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah, disclaimer: I am tiny grasshopper. I don't think I'll take big steps forward until I'm past the world-building steps of my own work.

Anyway, I'm back for some feedback. I'm designing a spell name that would replicate the portals seen in the game Portal, or the Town Portal seen in Diablo the series. The idea is, to a 6th century person, he would describe those portals as "ponds" rather than holes or gateways, because they look like reflective ponds. So I'm using the kanji for pond, 池.

My original term was シマー池 shimaachi, or shimmer pond, to convey the idea of a "shimmering pond" that one could step through. However, each attack has to have some kind of "evil" connotation or reference, so I need a kanji to go along with it.

There's some good ones I've found. Neither translate specifically to "shimaa" (more like shima) but disregarding that, what sounds the coolest? Would be the easiest to shout/say?

死魔池 shimachi Death Demon Pond
四魔池 shimachi Four Demons Pond
羅刹池 rasetsuchi Rakshasa Pond, a reference to Lake Rakashatal

Rakshasa is a demon in Hindu mythology, the prior two are elements from Buddhist mythology. The former two sort-of retain the pun with shimmer, but I've used 魔 on two different uses already. I'd like to avoid that and save Rasetsu for something else, but the demon lake reference is nice.

Note: regardless of the kanji, the final attack would be pronounced either shimaachi or rasetsuchi with four syllables. So while "shimachi" is easy to say, it won't be that curt.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-01-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #300
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Here's an ambiguity question.

If I write 烏龍見つめる uronmitsumeru

1. Is this proper Japanese?
2. Is there ambiguity in who is doing the staring, the "oolong" or someone looking at the oolong?

The ambiguity is intentional - I want it to come across as both one looking at the oolong tea (as in tasseography) and the "oolong" staring at something itself.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc