UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
Minecraft.

Is anybody else playing this? I have to say, this is honestly one of the most fun and addictive games I have ever played. There is something incredibly satisfying about making a perfect branched mine, gathering all of your own minerals, and then building your super-awesome-super-fort, climbing to the top of it, and watching the sun rise in all its glory.

The worlds in minecraft are procedurally generated based on a pseudo-random seed number. I believe the total possible number of worlds is just short of 15 quintillion. If you're lucky, you can get an extremely beautiful and diverse world right off the bat. Here is the one I am working in now:

Here are some panoramas. I made them just for you.

Here is a bird's eye view created using a map renderer called Cartograph (oblique projection):

You can see my house at the bottom right of the image. The stone path leads to a mine. The flaming pillars on the beach at the upper-middle-right mark the location of the mine I am currently digging in. It goes all the way down to the bottom of the earth, and out under the lake.

Here is an image showing the cave systems in my map. Blue areas are unlit. Lighter colored areas represent areas lit by either torches or in some cases, lava. You will notice several grid-like areas. Those are places where I have been mining. My current mine is toward the top (the one with the wedge shape cut out of it.)

As I am sure you've noticed by now, the world is made up of small cubes. Each cube is one meter on each side. Although the world itself is theoretically infinite, computer limitations limit its actual size to about 30,000,000 blocks long and wide, and 128 blocks tall. It'd still take you decades to walk even halfway across, though.

The game has a day-night cycle, and when night falls, the undead ravage the world. Zombies, skeletons, enormous spiders, and the infamous creeper are all out for your blood. Even during the day, they will spawn in any place that is out of direct sunlight. Caves are riddled with them. It is a constant battle to keep yourself alive as you attempt to mine enough minerals to forge proper weapons, armor, and defensive structures.

The game is incredibly creepy. Going into caves can be absolutely nerve-wracking, and I am not the only one who feels this way. Due to the very high terror factor, I elect to play in "peaceful" mode, which prevents monsters from spawning. I prefer a slower-paced game that is focused on mining, building, and shaping my world according to my vision. Whether you choose to play with or without monsters, the game will always be incredibly fun. There is always somewhere else to explore, more beauty to behold, and more riches to be liberated from the bowels of the earth.

I urge you all to give this game a try. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 10-15-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Someone was urging me to play this several weeks ago, but when I realized it wasn't a flash game (like GemCraft) and one had to sign up for it and download stuff, I figured I'd pass on it as a time-sink. I''m already pretty weighted by BVS and FWZ, school not considered.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94
Old 10-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

I have been extremely busy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX93OBAVIRM

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 10-20-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-MMSDzHbQ
Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

So, there's a really awesome mod out called AdventureCraft, which essentially completely replaces the whole .exe file with a new one that allows your to make your own game within the game, a la RPG Maker. In fact, it's a LOT like RPG Maker, but in Minecraft. I got the chance the other day and it is honestly phenomenal. What you can do with it is almost limitless, as long as you have a good imagination. It even allows for quests and user made cut scenes, as well as imported music and world events.

As soon as I get a day off, I'm going to be installing it and messing around with it myself. There are already a ton of 'games' users have made and uploaded for people to download, including Zelda remakes of Ocarina of Time and Windwaker (the latter of which was actually fairly bad, in my opinion).

BORKED

I should note mods don't currently work with Adventurecraft but will probably eventually be implemented.

edit: Also, if you have a computer that can handle it, I HIGHLY recommend this realistic water shader... it's AWESOME!

Last edited by deoxys; 09-02-2011 at 02:21 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
ZoRaDu
Pokemon Trainer

Yes, Minecraft has been really addicting in the past months for me... But Pokemon is better But overall Minecraft is really great, especially because they're putting a lot of updates lately!

Click to go to my PASBL profile! ^

ZoRaDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

Pokemon and Minecraft, apples and oranges. Unless you're talking about the maps that are available to download that are 1:1 recreations of the individual Pokemon regions. Those are... awesome.

I have to admit though, Minecraft got really stale for me after a while, but 1.8 has basically become it's saving grace. The landscapes are so much more interesting now, the endermen are freaky as hell, and the NPC villages are really well done. Also, ravines.

I just wish I could build cool things. Like a castle or something...
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I used to play this game a whole lot. Nowadays I can't really stand it. '~'

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #11
Patches
Shake it!

I prefer Terraria. They had a big update recently that has me hooked again.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
*Going to try to get Minecraft Soon*

I bring news. That news is the Pokemobs mod.
Don't believe me? Youtube it.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Pokemobs isn't that great as it is at the moment. It's lacking.

The best mod out there at the moment (for the new update anyway), is Equivalent Exchange. Just look it up, and see how crazy it is.

For 1.7.3 though, the Aether is so much better.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

Equivalent exchange is awesome.

I personally find that while Pokemobs is... eh, the maps people are recreating as I mentioned are FANTASTIC. I seriously can't get over how much work these people have put into recreating Kanto and Hoenn... I haven't seen Johto, but I heard it was lacking.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Ugh redstone wiring. Had my first foray into redstone circuitry today. Short version; I wanted two switches that controlled the same thing, so flipping either switch would change the state of it regardless of what the other switch was doing at that time (think two switches for the same lightbulb). The purpose was to have one at each end of a railway line, and flipping the switch at the end the cart is currently at will make it travel and then stop at the far end. Flip the switch at the far end and you go back, etc etc. Seemed simple enough when I started.

Four hours later, it does at least finally work; but took two and a half stacks of redstone, numerous redesigns and the circuity currently juts out into my enchanting room at one end. So much effort for a relatively simple circuit (two NOR gates, one AND gate and one OR gate) plus I've had to do so many fudges that're probably unnecessarily complicated to get it to do things. 90% sure I've made it way more complicated than it needs to be. I was planning on making a piston activated entrance but I dread to think what that'll take honestly.

So is anyone else still playing Minecraft? I only got into it recently.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

On 360 or PC? I played on 360 for a while, but all my friends who also played stopped playing, and its a bit boring to build a castle and no one to show it to.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Currently borrowing the 360 version from my cousin. Most of the people I know who have it have the PC version though so when I give it back to my cousin I'll probably buy that.

Also I think I just worked out a way to do what I did earlier with less than 10% the redstone and far, far less time and effort. FFFFFFFFFFF-
Old 09-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

How many mountain-penises have you made yet?
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
PC Minecrafter here. We should have a server for this if anyone'd be interested.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

I have yet to make any penises!

>SKF

That would be pretty cool. As I said I'm currently on 360 but I'm borrowing that copy and I'll probably switch to PC after that.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have yet to make any penises!
I thought the first thing anyone did when they started Minecraft was to make penis mountains! You are truly a prince among men, sir.

Are you thinking about getting the Mass Effect Skin pack DLC that was just announced for the 360 version?
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

>Are you thinking about getting the Mass Effect Skin pack DLC that was just announced for the 360 version?

I don't think, I'll probably get PC Minecraft when I actually buy it. Unlikely to have Xbox Minecraft for more than a couple weeks.

Also the two stacks of redstone, four logic gate circuit I made earlier? Just replaced it all with two buttons. Works the same.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #23
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
I do have PC Minecraft, though I might not be running smoothest.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
Toyo
hail

I also have PC minecraft.

weeee
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #25
Yougirasu
In Uguu we trust

'Scuse me whilst I roll my eyes
That said, I will (later) dig out a link to the YT video of a new challenge/game map made by one of the best 'technical' map creators around. The name escapes me currently, but I think it was something like Blocks vs. Zombies. So, as you might expect, it's something like Plants vs. Zombies only in Minecraft. I watched someone testing the game out before and it looks awesome (plus it seems like there's the right amount of people to play it).
But at the minute, I can't do much as I'm waiting to start a course and I can't really access YouTube or anything else whilst I'm here. I'm not even sure if I should be on UPN, but I get bored looking at jobs all the time (especially when I run out of new ones to look at).

An update whilst I remember to go onto YouTube and look for the video. Here's sethbling's map trailer/demonstration video for Blocks vs. Zombies.
Also, if you want to see it being played somewhat seriously then check out this video by Direwolf20 who's showing it off and explaining everything.

Of course, the map is built on 1.6 rather than 1.5 or anything else that I currently play on. But if someone was interested in hosting the server (I can't because my laptop's old, gets rather hot and we have dodgy internet at times with 3 people on it) then I'd join in for a game or two or even three. Mostly because I just enjoy using the Bow in the game.

Spoiler: show
PASBL: TL3, 15W/8L/1D, 42 KO's, 95TP, 14.75 SP.

*Certified Ref. Grade: B-*

The Team of Yougi.
24 - 22
21 - 1
4 - 2

Last edited by Yougirasu; 09-10-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Yougirasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games