UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 07-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Right, right, and I can totally see where you're coming from too, I'm just sort of playing the devil's advocate here somewhat. My point is that when it comes to translation choices, it's always a tug of war between a translation which better preserves meaning at the expense of sounding natural in the target language versus one which sounds more natural in the target language but comes at the expense of semantic precision. I definitely sympathize with both teams, the one having opted for "heir" over "nobleson" or "affluent progeny" because it sounded like more natural English and was much more concise, the other having opted for "affluent progeny" because it conveyed to the English-speaking fans all of the same information that was conveyed to the Japanese-speaking fans.

TBH, the thing that bothers me more is how 超 somehow became "Super Duper". Nobody says "super duper" in English except for doofuses or really cheery and kinda childish people. 超 chou is commonly translated into English as just plain "super", and you see it all the time in SNES titles. (The original game will be 超{game name} and the English one will be Super{game name}. Later in the console's life they started using スーパー suupaa "Super", usually for reverse-imported games like Rare's Donkey Kong Country which was rebranded as Super Donkey Kong over there.) It's a common enough adverb used by certain demographics, including some pre-teen boys and the niche demographic of gyarus and the like. So like ... try to imagine stereotypical valley girl talk from the 1980s ... and now try to imagine one of those girls saying "super duper." ^_^; They wouldn't, would they?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Oh, believe us, Talon, everyone else in the Dangan Ronpa fandom is just as irritated by "Super Duper" as opposed to "Super High" as you are.

it sounds so dumb. Super Duper High School x. seriously. and sdhs does not roll of the tongue nearly as well as shsl. super high school level x is perfectly silly enough

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
deoxys
Fog Badge

Well, as you may have seen in the other thread, I've not only moved on ahead in the LP, I've completely finished it.

Spoiler: show
Perhaps I'll post my final thoughts and such at another time when I'm feeling better, but right now... not feeling it at all. Just really, really numb... could use a hug right now...
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Waaaah I'm two chapters behind slow down Deo.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Oh uh... don't look at the first page of the thread if you haven't finished DR1.

So Deo, are you gonna move on to sdr2? Because I'd love to see your reactions to that.

Also, everyone, while there is orenronen's sdr2 translation, you can pick up where it leaves off over at kuzuhiko.tumblr.com 's translation (kuzuhiko does mostly summaries for chapters 1 and 2 but fully translates mostly everything after that) and then once you finish kuzuhiko's translation in around ch4, go to the birdmanronpa.tumblr.com translation, which has ch4 all the way to the epilogue fully translated.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
deoxys
Fog Badge

Probably not until the game is fully translated. I don't like the SomethingAwful style of [Character sprite - dialog - screencaps]. Also Lowtax recently put a paywall on the archives like the money grabbing whore he is, so your first post link is now irrelevant.

But yeah, I have no interest in SDR2 until the game is in a fully translated state, so probably not until 2015?

I'm fine with that anyway because (DR/possibly big SDR2 spoilers)

as badly as I want some sort of closure to Naegi/Kirigiri/Togami/Hagakure/Fukawa/Asahina, I'm not sure I actually want to know what happened after they opened the doors (despite the frightening flashes and noises from the outside). And yes, I know SDR2 doesn't focus on them, but I already know they make appearances.

I'm just not sure I want more Dangan Ronpa. I'm going to be honest, finding out they were all close friends before they lost their memories and then killed each other for what turned out to be no reason at all... really, really, really made me depressed. I know... it's just a story... but I was seriously blue all day and still am a little.

Last edited by deoxys; 07-31-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #32
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copygoo View Post
Also, everyone, while there is orenronen's sdr2 translation, you can pick up where it leaves off over at kuzuhiko.tumblr.com 's translation (kuzuhiko does mostly summaries for chapters 1 and 2 but fully translates mostly everything after that) and then once you finish kuzuhiko's translation in around ch4, go to the birdmanronpa.tumblr.com translation, which has ch4 all the way to the epilogue fully translated.
So in case you want to remain faithful to orenronen's translation, the thread is being mirrored here - originally created to help people avoid the spoiler ads some bright individual put up on SA. It does get you around the paywall, but you also miss the discussion in the thread (yeah, I'm one of those who enjoy seeing people's reactions to things).

Also Deo, might wanna remove the "slightly" from your spoiler box thing, I didn't know that DR2-thing and hadn't even thought about it (I would consider Monobear's appearance in DR1 a "slight spoiler", for example, not what you posted). Didn't ruin the whole thing for me, but...it's one less surprise in the long run.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #33
deoxys
Fog Badge

Sorry Kaisap. It would seem I'm really on a roll today in the "disappointing people" department. It was something I read about immediately after finishing and no one considered it a spoiler, but not knowing anything at all about the sequel, I wouldn't know one way or the other so I just took their word for it. You're right though.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #34
deoxys
Fog Badge

I just want to say the game has a great OST and my fave songs are:

Box 15
New World Order
Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Yeah I love the soundtrack. The second game also has some really nice remixes and original songs.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #36
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Yeah 2 has some really sweet remixes. =D

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I'll add my opinion!

My favorite track, at least so far is Miss Monomi's Practise Lesson. A close second is Re:[DISTRUST*.

*added a [ because UPN emoticons. >.<
Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #38
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I JUST FINISHED CHAPTER 2 OF SUPER DANGAN RONPA 2 AND

HOLY SHIT NO WHAT THE FUCK MONOKUMA YOU AWFUL HORRIBLE BASTARD OMG

WHAT JUST HAPPENED

so emotion

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

ch2 vague spoilers under the cut

DID YOU CRY WHEN PEKO AND KUZURYUU STARTED CRYING BECAUSE I DID

Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #40
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

omg just (yeah my posts are all p. much chapter 2 spoilers)

that execution omg she just loved him so much but could never say anything and kuzuryuu totally realized that but ended up doing something so stupid kuzuryuu you big stupid baby

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #41
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

HAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

chpt3 minor
TITTY TYPHOON OMFG

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #42
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

please continue to show us your reactions in this thread jeri. please.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #43
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
sdr2 ch 1 spoilers
after teruteru was executed i thought, "eh, this won't be as bad as dr1" and then proceeded to bawl my eyes out during the chapter 2 trial
Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #44
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

nidaixakane is an awful ship stop it sdr2

oh,

chiropractor

okay

EDIT:
NANAMI SHSL GAMER???

MORE LIKE

SHSL TRIANGLE PLAYER

also hajime's title is SHSL tsundere

EDIT:
FRIGGEN

TSUMIKI

WHAT IS THIS GIRLS DEAL

RAGEDIT:
FUCKING DANGAN RONPA AND DOUBLE HOMICIDES FUCK YOU WHY

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 08-18-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #45
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Double post for more generalized thoughts on SDR2 as a whole thusfar (obviously spoilers through chpt 3)

I can see why people laud SDR2 as better than DR1 in pretty much every way; I really love all of the characters and find that pretty much every case is pretty difficult (tbh I found case 1 to be harder than case 2 or 3, both of which I had mostly figured out only a few minutes into the class trial >>), where as DR1 cases were either painfully easy (the Oogami case, and many elements of the Mukuro case) or sorta stilted (the Fujisaki case). I also feel like SDR2 does a really good job of making the kids' motivation make them seem like not-crazy-murderers, which happened a little in DR1, especially in the first two cases.

CHAPTER BY CHAPTER...

I liked Chapter 1 and the fact that pretty much all the cards were out on the table from the get-go. Monokuma isn't anywhere as secretive this time around and I feel like it really gives them a proper sense of confusion and distrust without making them all crazed strangers, like in DR1. They still can have relationships and be friendly without seeming totally out of the blue. As for the case itself, I feel like it was a little awkwardly written, but the motivation they gave Hanamura was pretty refreshing, especially when compared to Leon's three day stir craziness. I will also state that I'm kinda glad Togami was the first to kick the bucket, because he was pretty clearly out of place and one of the DR1 characters I really didn't give two shits about. Of course, I would like to know why he was there and why his memories of the events of DR1 seemed to be wiped too, but of course, I'm sure that's something I won't learn for a long time...

Chapter 2 was just depressing. Friggen Koizumi was the best man. And even worse was the whole pekoyama x kuzuryuu deal. Man. So many sads. All of them. And for Saionji to go from this snarky cutey bitch to the little girl she actually is... ;-;

Chapter 3 of course just compounded it. It was really awful to see Saionji struggle to be a better person and get offed before she was even given the chance. Not to mention the senseless killing of Ibuki. As much as I didn't care about Tsumiki, the fact that she was the murderer almost purely due to Monokuma's intervention really pisses me off. Sure, Junko was a crazed sadistic bitch, but she wasn't so cruel that she totally gaslighted her targets. She just killed them. Tsumiki is basically just a vulnerable child who was driven to the ends of her wits...

Though the one thing that didn't satisfy me about Chapter 3 is the motive... I could see killing Saionji - if Tsumiki was going to kill anyone, it'd be her - but why Ibuki? Convenience? It seems like a poor motivator, even with despair fever.

Also OMG ROBONIDAI

EDIT
OMG DID SONIA JUST IMPLY THAT SHES NOT A VIRGIN HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

poor souda

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 08-19-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #46
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

chapter 3 sdr2 spoilers

I'm exceptionally proud of myself in that chapter because I figured out the murderer AND literally every single detail about how they did it before the trial started. I haven't been able to do that for any other murder in DR1 or SDR2, except a little bit for sdr2 ch2, but only because I had been spoiled to that chapter's victim ( DDDDDDDDDDDD: ) and murdered early, so I knew what to look for.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #47
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

cries

Quote:
(what a fuckin piece of shit. im calling it right now. komaeda nanami and hinata are the only three alive and komaeda congratulates the other two on so well exemplifying the ideal of hope when nanami and hinata both just stab komaeda and gently hug each other over his body.)

(they found love)

(in a hopeless place)
BEST END

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #48
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I finished last night.

Massive endgame spoilers. Don't read if you haven't finished all the way through the epilogue.
What a crazy twist... though I guess I should have seen it coming.

I was casually spoiled to a few details that lead me to believe that Nanami was punished, but I'm really glad that it wasn't because she was some murderer. And I also can't believe that I totally missed the Alter Ego parallels. Crazy! She's probably tied for my favorite character in SDR2 now ;-; (along with Sonia-san, of course... oh Sonia-san you are my spirit animal).

I was pretty proud of myself, though, because I ended up figuring out a lot of the details of Chapter 5 well before they were revealed... except for the fire extinguishers filled with poison thing. That was also crazy.

Overall, crazy, and awesome, and amazing, and I can't wait to read DR Zero and find the other Free Time events. whaaaaa such a good series

EDIT: Oh and also this morning I ordered copies of both of the DR Zero Light Novels (in Japanese, of course). Hopefully my desire to learn more about the story will force me to read them.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 08-23-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #49
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
So, thanks to Jeri and his usage of Sonia sprites in the TO, I've finally decided to start reading the LPs. The thing that could be frowned upon is that I've started with 2, my reasoning being that A) I'd have to pay to read the LP on SomethingAwful and B) I kinda spoiled the whole plot for myself when looking up info on the series itself. Not saying I'll never go through the first in some way (considering buying one of the discounted Vita bundles which would enable me to play the game when it comes out in English so that's an option) but I have at least a working knowledge of possible reoccuring things .

Anyway, finished the Prologue. Not really spoilery, but doing so for safety.
Not much to say just yet. Except that I hate the chef dude. To the point that I can't even remember his name and have been calling him Fat Douche. Because he's a fat douche. Sonia is my standout favorite, just because she's the only character I knew about beforehand (thanks to Tumblr/DeviantArt) and I find her adorable. Souda is just behind her because he just seems quirky and cool, which I find interesting.

And I'll be back when I get to something I need to rant about.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #50
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

No, oh my god, stop, what are you doing. Don't read 2 first. What the fuck.

http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/

There. A quick google search gave me a mirror of the DR1 Let's Play. Read that shit first.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment