UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #101
deoxys
Fog Badge

I posted it on reddit, but a mod deleted it for some stupid fucking reason, so I'll post it here so I feel like my venting wasn't wasted...

I've been playing the game now for about a month and a half, nearly two months and... I'm not good. And I'm not getting better. Game after game I just die and get assists, even though I've become too scared to engage because I'm tired of dying. I have a lot of free time right now and I play the game nearly all day every day with friends and people who have been around a while and know what they're doing.

As pathetic as it is, this game is actually depressing me. I'm level 22 with only 39 wins, mostly because I play a lot of bot games, but I should be doing a lot better. I've been having a rough week in particular the past week in League, just doing all around awful to the point where I just get so mad at myself followed by an overwhelming sadness. And of course, toxic players don't help - in fact that's what triggered me to vent here. I just came out of a game where the enemy team, who crushed us, of course, felt the need to tell me how terrible I am, what a "nigger" and a "faggot" I am, and that I should return Lissandra because I'm horrible and I should feel horrible. Oh, and that I was going to be reported for being unskilled. Very classy. Usually I couldn't care less about what some random people on the internet say, but when you've already been chipping away at yourself for how awful you are, it's surprisingly some serious salt in the wounds.

I feel defeated. The game is somewhat addicting because it can indeed be very fun, but the negative consequences quite frankly outweigh the good things I get out of it. People keep saying I'll get better in time and that I need to keep pressing forward, but even with all of the guides I've read, advice I've taken, and videos I've watched, I feel like my knowledge of the game's mechanics are just at a standstill and my play style is just not going anywhere. I'll keep feeding because I'm garbage, and I'm not going to get any better. In fact, maybe I should return Lissandra, because I really do suck. Why am I even spending money on a game I am terrible at? Why do I continue to do this to myself? Why do I even bother playing when all the game does is upset, anger, and depress me?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #102
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Remember that level 1 - 29 is nothing but a big tutorial. Your problems are nothing that a little coaching can't fix. I'll try to find you online so I can support you bot lane, and I'll tell you exactly what you're doing wrong. I'm guessing that it's still a last-hitting issue. You should play AI custom games and do NOTHING but practice last-hitting. Can not stress enough how important it is.

As for the monstrous douches who populate this game ... you just have to put up with them, because they will never disappear, even when you improve your skill. Like I said, watch pro streams, and you'll see that even at the very highest level, diamond ranked players are talking shit about each other.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #103
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Unfortunately, this is League of Legends. A high skill, competitive game with people who play anonymously over the internet. This basically is the perfect breeding ground for jerks. They're effectively jocks inside a nerd setting.

You have options though.

A) Watch others play more. Sadly, LoL doesn't have a replay system yet. You can't watch yourself play later on and see what mistakes you made. But you can watch others playing. See if you find high rank players playing the characters you like and see how they play. Watch them on Youtube or whatever. You can pick up a lot of things by watching games without having to risk a game yourself.

B) Play a game with friends and have them give you advice. You say you're playing Lissandra, well she literally just came out. As cool as you might think she is, she could literally not be your play style which you can play as. If your friends are of much higher caliber than yourself, they might be able to tell you that. If you're afraid to go out and get kills, maybe you should play a support champion.

C) Quit. Clearly you're not having fun anymore and it's an environment that sucks. Get back on XBL and play BL2 with me =p

Honestly, I don't know how Riot allows suck poor manners in their game. In Starcraft 1 & 2, bad manners were pretty much made illegal by the Korean Tournament scene. Sure you can do things which are insulting, like dropping MULEs, building a bunch of Nexuses in front of them, or have your units do the /dance command in the middle of the battlefield, but you can't verbally (or textually) insult them. In fact, it's pretty much illegal to say anything other than GG. Riot even knows this piss poor behavior is having a huge negative impact on their overall growth and there's no way to report poor behavior, yet if you disconnect, you're punished.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #104
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I posted it on reddit, but a mod deleted it for some stupid fucking reason, so I'll post it here so I feel like my venting wasn't wasted...

I've been playing the game now for about a month and a half, nearly two months and... I'm not good. And I'm not getting better. Game after game I just die and get assists, even though I've become too scared to engage because I'm tired of dying. I have a lot of free time right now and I play the game nearly all day every day with friends and people who have been around a while and know what they're doing.

As pathetic as it is, this game is actually depressing me. I'm level 22 with only 39 wins, mostly because I play a lot of bot games, but I should be doing a lot better. I've been having a rough week in particular the past week in League, just doing all around awful to the point where I just get so mad at myself followed by an overwhelming sadness. And of course, toxic players don't help - in fact that's what triggered me to vent here. I just came out of a game where the enemy team, who crushed us, of course, felt the need to tell me how terrible I am, what a "nigger" and a "faggot" I am, and that I should return Lissandra because I'm horrible and I should feel horrible. Oh, and that I was going to be reported for being unskilled. Very classy. Usually I couldn't care less about what some random people on the internet say, but when you've already been chipping away at yourself for how awful you are, it's surprisingly some serious salt in the wounds.

I feel defeated. The game is somewhat addicting because it can indeed be very fun, but the negative consequences quite frankly outweigh the good things I get out of it. People keep saying I'll get better in time and that I need to keep pressing forward, but even with all of the guides I've read, advice I've taken, and videos I've watched, I feel like my knowledge of the game's mechanics are just at a standstill and my play style is just not going anywhere. I'll keep feeding because I'm garbage, and I'm not going to get any better. In fact, maybe I should return Lissandra, because I really do suck. Why am I even spending money on a game I am terrible at? Why do I continue to do this to myself? Why do I even bother playing when all the game does is upset, anger, and depress me?
Stop playing.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #105
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the only reasons you haven't quit yet are:
  1. It's a game you can play with friends you otherwise don't hang out with much anymore. (I have a pretty good guess who one of these people is ...)
  2. The fallacy of investment as applied to time. ("I can't quit now, or all those hours I put in will have been for nothing! ;_;" *proceeds to put in still more hours for nothing*)
  3. The fallacy of investment as applied to money.
  4. Encouragement from friendlies that things will get better.
Take away a couple of these -- in particular the first one -- and I don't think you'd bother with the game anymore. No one does. For any pursuit in life which makes them this miserable and for which they are (apparently) this ill-suited. People whose dream is to become the next Bruce Lee stick with their martial arts training even when they're 5x slower learners than average folk. People for whom it's just a whim give up after $100 and several weeks of asskickings. And that's understandable. There's this unfortunate mentality in our society that "you're a quitter" and that you should be ashamed if you abandon some pursuit. But the problem with that way of thinking is, life is too short to waste it on misery. You're only a quitter if you quit EVERYTHING you try to take up. Art. Music. Programming. Writing. Chemistry. Physics. Dating. Half-Life. Mario. Go karts. Paint ball. Etc, etc. You're not a quitter if LoL is toxic and you suck at it and you realize, "Y'know, rather than pour more time and money into this hobby that I've already grown to resent, I'd rather put that time and money towards my guitar again. Or towards this other PC game I love." I mean, hell, maybe you could try switching from LoL to SC2. Think of it like switching from karate to tai chi rather than flat out "pussing out" on karate. If your only karate dojo in town is Cobra Kai (the one in The Karate Kid), and if there's a tai chi instructional center down the road with lessons taught by this super cute Chinese girl and classes populated by awesome townies you can make friends with, isn't the choice clear? ^^;

If you love LoL, dunno what to tell you. To me, it seems like the Cobra Kai of PC gaming.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #106
McSweeney
Soul Badge

League of Legends is 80% misery, and 20% games where you play really well, get insanely powerful and rock the entire enemy team by yourself, and your teammates lavish praise and love upon you, and it's those 20% of games that keep you coming back for more.

At any rate, don't give up yet, let me try to help you first. You're probably trying too hard to fight enemy champions. This game is not about killing enemy champions, this game is about FARMING. Never forget that. People always want to be Rambo, but if you have zero kills, zero deaths, and 300 last hits, who's the king? If you see an enemy coming at you with a knife, you're probably like, "GET SOME!" you need to get this mindset out of your head. Instead, back up to safety until he backs off, and if it's more than one enemy, just leave the lane and go find another empty lane so you can kill more minions. I'll guide you when we can play together, but for now, don't be a hero, don't try to get kills unless you have an obvious and overwhelming advantage, focus on farming minions and not dying. Once you learn the fundamentals, then we can move on to fighting enemy champs.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #107
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to KratosAurion
Honestly, it's much as McSweeney says. Levels 1 - 29 are nothing for you to take seriously. You still do not have all of the tools available at your disposal to truly build appropriately, such as Masteries and Tier 3 Runes, so just take it easy. I'd like you to keep playing, and honestly, even though now I'm a pretty decent player who almost always get his job done, I got here thanks to a LOT of coaching from my friends. I almost never played PvP alone when I was Level 1 - 29, since I always had 1 or 2 buds who would try to correct me and help me move along.

I believe it is truly a matter of proper coaching, and just having some friends play with you. It's a lot more of a nice experience when you're popping jokes over Skype while you Frenzy an Enemy with a Volibear and you all just laugh as you win, or support each other and strategize as you're loosing, give advice on counterbuilding, and help each other win.

LoL can be a very rewarding experience once you get through the whole issue that the Community is BS. I'd like to encourage you to do whatever makes you feel better, but know that if you choose to press on, we can always play together as a Team with the rest of the UPN boys.

Also, the number of Wins is just a number. I don't really care. I've seen REALLY bad 1000+ Wins Players, so if you feel at easy playing Bots while you reach Level 30, give it a go to your heart's content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeney
At any rate, don't give up yet, let me try to help you first. You're probably trying too hard to fight enemy champions. This game is not about killing enemy champions, this game is about FARMING. Never forget that. People always want to be Rambo, but if you have zero kills, zero deaths, and 300 last hits, who's the king? If you see an enemy coming at you with a knife, you're probably like, "GET SOME!" you need to get this mindset out of your head. Instead, back up to safety until he backs off, and if it's more than one enemy, just leave the lane and go find another empty lane so you can kill more minions. I'll guide you when we can play together, but for now, don't be a hero, don't try to get kills unless you have an obvious and overwhelming advantage, focus on farming minions and not dying. Once you learn the fundamentals, then we can move on to fighting enemy champs.
This is true. Last hit. Last hit. Last hit. Believe me, you won't know WHO and WHEN to fight until you're a very advanced player. I only learned until very recently, and I'm still in the process of learning when to fight and how to judge the situation. I still make some mistakes, but my high CS allows me to keep coming back for more.

// PASBL // Wild Future //
KratosAurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #108
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
^They're right about how you should play, but I still think you should stop for a little while. Just take your mind off of it for a week or so and then get back in.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #109
deoxys
Fog Badge

Gah... I really shouldn't have posted that here last night. God that looks so pathetic, I have no idea why I went through with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
League of Legends is 80% misery, and 20% games where you play really well, get insanely powerful and rock the entire enemy team by yourself, and your teammates lavish praise and love upon you, and it's those 20% of games that keep you coming back for more.

I appreciate it, and perhaps so coaching is in order. I have a friend who I've never played with before who has played for three years and owns every champ tell me last night that after that episode he was going to coach me for real instead of joking about it, so we'll see.

As for the attacking champs bit, as I said, lately I just don't do it. If I mid, I'm just trying to farm and avoid ganks, and when the mid champ goes MIA, I push up their turret and then back off when they return. I almost never try to fight, in fact, I'd say I'm almost scared to. But occasionally they will try to fight or chase me, snare and stun, and then lay a beat down of burst damage or some such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KratosAurion View Post
Honestly, it's much as McSweeney says. Levels 1 - 29 are nothing for you to take seriously. You still do not have all of the tools available at your disposal to truly build appropriately, such as Masteries and Tier 3 Runes, so just take it easy. I'd like you to keep playing, and honestly, even though now I'm a pretty decent player who almost always get his job done, I got here thanks to a LOT of coaching from my friends. I almost never played PvP alone when I was Level 1 - 29, since I always had 1 or 2 buds who would try to correct me and help me move along.

I believe it is truly a matter of proper coaching, and just having some friends play with you. It's a lot more of a nice experience when you're popping jokes over Skype while you Frenzy an Enemy with a Volibear and you all just laugh as you win, or support each other and strategize as you're loosing, give advice on counterbuilding, and help each other win.

LoL can be a very rewarding experience once you get through the whole issue that the Community is BS. I'd like to encourage you to do whatever makes you feel better, but know that if you choose to press on, we can always play together as a Team with the rest of the UPN boys.

Also, the number of Wins is just a number. I don't really care. I've seen REALLY bad 1000+ Wins Players, so if you feel at easy playing Bots while you reach Level 30, give it a go to your heart's content.

This is true. Last hit. Last hit. Last hit. Believe me, you won't know WHO and WHEN to fight until you're a very advanced player. I only learned until very recently, and I'm still in the process of learning when to fight and how to judge the situation. I still make some mistakes, but my high CS allows me to keep coming back for more.
Well I decided to try and set the bar high and get 200 CS by 20 minutes in, but in any position, I'm lucky to get 80 or 90 by then.

Most of my games are spent playing with and talking with friends on Skype, so the toxicity always stems from the randoms we encounter. Two of my friends playing with me on a regular basis have a veteran status with the game, so... I'm toying with the idea of turning off all chat until I'm level 30 so I don't have to hear the disgusting shit that comes out of other players mouths. I'm beginning to understand why one of my friends I have played with a few times refuses to do anything but bot games.

For everyone else saying I should quit, it's just not as simple as that. Maybe a break is in order, I don't know, but when I'm doing well (as rare as it is), and when I have friendly random players (as rare as that is), I genuinely have a good time and it's a very fun experience. It's like McSweeney said, really.

I'm also just not enjoying this learning curve. Being nearly two months in and referred to as a beginner still when I have one or two friends (I have a lot of friends that play League) in my position who I feel like are leagues ahead of me and I'm just standing their shadow...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #110
Sneaze
Mrow?

Oddly enough I've taken a few days away from League as of late due to the concept that I suck, but I've slowly realize that I don't honestly give a crap if I suck or not, because I'm having genuine fun, and the constant encouragement from friendly randoms is also helpful, and I find it far outweighs the toxic players who frankly if they're that annoying I just ignore chat (honestly not that hard if you pick something tedious to focus on like last hitting practice) and give honor to any teammates who aren't dealing with their shit.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #111
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Oddly enough I've taken a few days away from League as of late due to the concept that I suck, but I've slowly realize that I don't honestly give a crap if I suck or not, because I'm having genuine fun, and the constant encouragement from friendly randoms is also helpful, and I find it far outweighs the toxic players who frankly if they're that annoying I just ignore chat (honestly not that hard if you pick something tedious to focus on like last hitting practice) and give honor to any teammates who aren't dealing with their shit.
We should all play together more often.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #112
McSweeney
Soul Badge

200 last hits by 20 minutes is a very high standard to hold yourself to! That's like what professional AD carries and solo laners aim for, assuming there isn't some crazy teamfights early on to disrupt things.

They're doing a clean up of inactive accounts soon, so maybe I can snag the original McSweeney name! That way I can play with you under level 30 newbs without creating really weird mismatches.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 05-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #113
M. M.
Wai Hello Thar

Send a message via AIM to M. M. Send a message via MSN to M. M.
Oh hey, we started playing this game on UPN finally? I don't visit here often but if anyone would like to add me on LoL, I'd be up to play. Starting playing more recently with the release of ARAM. I already have Mcsweeney from a while ago but for anyone who wishes to add me, my Summoner Name is Oraok. I've been playing for almost 2 years now. I main top but I'm willing to give tips to anyone new to the game in any role. I'm not great but I do have a bit of knowledge on the game that I'd love to share and the best part of LoL is definitely playing with friends!
B- Ref Grade
M. M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #114
deoxys
Fog Badge

So I'm level 28 now. After trying McSweeney's advice to get back into Riven, I attempted, but decided to once again shelf her for the time being, having had a lot of rough games with her. To try and excel in other areas, the past few days I've been primarily learning support - Thresh and Lulu - and I really don't mind it. A lot of people hate the support role, and I can see why, but I personally feel it's pretty valuable.

And since it's valuable to be able to play every position on the field, I've decided to go ahead now and try to take up jungling. Too often the past several days has my random queue team not had a jungler when it was needed, with me usually being the one being asked to jungle when I can't. To top it off, a few of my favorite champs, Nautilus, Hecarim, and Volibear, all excel in jungling - so I'm going to be learning that now.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #115
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I think Nidalee and Sona are the most satisfying support champs out there, Nidalee because it's always satisfying to see your Javelin hit someone for a lot of damage, and Sona because lots of auras and she has a great early-game harass in Hymn of Valor.

Junglers are also great to take up. I personally prefer Shyvana, but I recently unlocked Warwick and Maokai, so I'll have to see just how good they are at jungling (might try Phoenix Udyr too).

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #116
Beirut
Pokemon Trainer

I play sometimes, not very often. Usually just with a couple friends from school/from tumblr. My friend Cara convinced me to play it because she said it was pretty similar to another MMORPG we used to play.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #117
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
I like how you can now customize item lists so it's a lot easier to focus on the build you want instead of having to navigate a lot for your most desired items. Which means we don't have to spend as much time in the shops now! =D

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #118
deoxys
Fog Badge

So has anyone else been watching the ALL STARS matches? Because the NA vs EU matches just happened and HOLY SHIT, they were absolutely incredible. Two of the most insane pro matches I've seen, I was utterly floored by the skill and the plays.

Spoiler: show
Game 1: THAT BACKDOOR. NA was all distracted at Baron, EU's carry pushed bot lane ALL THE WAY UP AND TOOK BOTH NEXUS TURRETS. I honestly thought they were going to pull a major upset. If NA didn't recall to base when they did, that would have been the upset of a lifetime. And it would have been incredible.

Game 2: The teams were even the ENTIRE game in a very long match and then at the end the fight at baron ended with DOUBLELIFT getting a PENTAKILL-

BORKED

UTTERLY PHENOMENAL PLAYS.

GJ MURICA, showing up EU and making Diamond eat his words after calling NA trash and then getting his ass handed to him.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #119
McSweeney
Soul Badge

You better believe I've been following the All Star event, because I bet money on the matches and have correctly predicted all of them, making $75 so far. It was clear to me that Europe was overrated and would have communication problems, since it was made up of 3 Russians, 1 German, and 1 guy from France. Yellowpete was also in way over his head, as he is not a world class AD carry. Scarra was dead weight when North America got rolled yesterday, so it was smart of them to give him Karthus in both games against EU, a champion where he can just stand there and press R to be useful.

It was really exciting to watch NA 2-0 Europe, but they have absolutely no chance against Korea. As for who will win the grand finals of China vs Korea, I can't say. Both teams are insane. Korea benefits the most from an All Star event, because they have godly players at every position, but they're spread out over like 8 different teams. That's why a lot of people incorrectly underrate the Korean LoL scene, since they usually lose to Chinese teams in international events, but that's because the godly Chinese players are concentrated into 3 teams.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 05-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #120
deoxys
Fog Badge

Of course Korea won. Of course they did.

Absolute steamroll.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #121
Firewater
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
interesting... if anyone would want to help me level up/learn the game that would be kind of cool- username is firewaterDM I believe.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #122
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

So, where is the UPN Ranked Team at?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #123
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ranked? Do we even have enough for a 5v5 team? Me, you, Shuckle, Sweeney... and I guess Gemini...
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #124
KratosAurion
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Ranked? Do we even have enough for a 5v5 team? Me, you, Shuckle, Sweeney... and I guess Gemini...
Well, it could be fun. Not as far as going all "TryHard" on it, but at least to play some nice pickup games of 5 VS 5.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #125
Sneaze
Mrow?

Ohai I still play just not that much because life eats up my time.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games